Chapter Eight

The Tones of His Voice

 When Taehyung woke up, he smiled immediately at the pale hand running through his hair.

 

“Morning.” Yoongi spoke gently, smiling as the younger nuzzled into his shoulder.

 

“Morning hyung.” Taehyung's voice was rough, deeper than usual in the mornings and Yoongi's eyes widened in appreciation. They stayed like that for a few minutes, before Taehyung crawled out of bed to find painkillers, he'd developed a headache from all the crying. Yoongi stayed in the room, sitting up in the bed. He'd spent the entire night thinking about the lyrics Taehyung had wrote. He'd decided he wouldn't ask him about them yet but to reply in his own way. He wasn't sure how yet, but he realised the younger had made a huge impact on his life, that he'd found a place in his heart. He wanted to care for the singer, he wanted to make him smile and help fix him.

 

When he finally entered the kitchen, he found Taehyung sat on the side, tablets in one hand, glass of water in the other. He raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“Don't like taking pills?” The rapper asked, Taehyung looking up at him and nodding. Yoongi laughed before making his way over, taking the tablets. “Say ah.” He spoke bluntly. The singer blinked a few times before doing as told, opening his mouth slowly. Yoongi wasted no time placing them in his mouth, moving the glass to the youngers lips and nodding. Taehyung drank half the glass in one gulp, before he started laughing. Yoongi laughed too.

 

“Wow. That's a new one.” The brunette spoke when he'd calmed down a little. Yoongi just shook his head. Taehyung looked around his kitchen and drew his bottom lip into his mouth, a habit Yoongi had noticed the younger had when he was nervous. “Well, I don't really have... Food here but. We could go somewhere for breakfast?”

 

“That sounds good, let me go get changed first.” Yoongi answered, smiling as he moved to the bedroom.

 

They'd stopped in a small cafe down the road, Yoongi had noticed and practically run when he saw the sign for freshly baked pastries. Taehyung had laughed as he walked behind him, smile on his face. When they got to the counter, Yoongi began scanning the pastry fridge, Taehyung reading over the coffee menu.

 

“So, I'll have just a large normal coffee and the raspberry croissant, he'll have a hot chocolate, extra cream.” Yoongi spoke, jabbing a thumb in Taehyungs direction before pulling out his wallet. The lady behind the counter put the order through and before Taehyung could give his share of the bill, Yoongi had paid.

 

“Thank you.” Taehyung said when they sat down, Yoongi waving his hand, quickly engrossing himself in his pastry. Taehyung watched as Yoongi ate, blinking a few times before nodding too himself. He scooped up some of the cream on the spoon, holding out to Yoongi, who eyed it before looking at Taehyung.

 

“Swap?” The brunette spoke simply, poking the air with the spoon. Yoongi stared for a few more seconds before smiling. God Taehyung was adorable. He nodded, breaking off a piece of the pastry, holding it out.

“On three? One, two, three!” Taehyung called, both of them leaning forward. When they pulled back, they made eye contact and laughed, Yoongi ducking his head and Taehyung's hand coming to his mouth. They both shared the same thought.

 

It's like a date.

 

Two more coffees later, they were walking aimlessly, hand in hand.

 

“So, the thing with Kookie is, you can't win. And it's not even like, he won't let you it's just, he's always right? It's so annoying!” Taehyung whined, kicking at a stone on the floor, Yoongi laughed.

 

“Yeah, I know that feeling. I'm pretty sure he's gifted with words.” Taehyung nodded, moving onto a story about him and Jimin getting thrown out of a shopping centre for running up the down escalator. Yoongi felt so happy, so content with the younger, always smiling and laughing and Taehyung felt the same.

 

“Whoa, you're still alive.” A voice drifted from behind them. Taehyung's sentence faded into nothing, his skin paling and his hand gripping Yoongi's with a strength the older never knew he had. The singer turned around slowly, Yoongi moving with him, to face the taller man in front of them and the rapper finally clicked, anger flooding his veins as he looked at the smug smile on the guys face. “Who's this, your rebound?” The guy sneered, Taehyung flinching back.

 

“No! He's a friend.” The singer spoke, voice shaking. The guy laughed, moving to ruffle Taehyung's hair. Yoongi stepped in the way, snarling.

 

“Don't you ing touch him.” He grabbed his wrist and threw his arm back. Taehyung's ex raised an eyebrow, a smirk taking over his features.

 

“What you gonna do short-?” He stepped closer and Taehyung's heart sped up. He grabbed Yoongi's hand and tugged on it gently.

 

“Yoongi-hyung can we... Can we please just go?” He spoke quietly and the rapper immediately nodded, pulling the singer away. They didn't get very far before Taehyung's wrist was grabbed though.

 

“Honestly. You run away from me, threaten me with the police if I come anywhere near you, never explain what it was I did and now you're just going to leave again?” Taehyung whimpered, the anger in his ex's voice was so clear, so fierce that suddenly he felt tiny, pathetic and un-wanted all over again. He shook his head with the little strength he had, meeting Yoongi's eyes.

 

It felt like forever that he held his gaze, silent words travelling between them. Taehyung felt his heart rate return to normal, felt the strength flood back into his body, along with a confidence he never knew he had. He spun on his heel, surprising the other two present and glared.

 

“You wanna know what you ing did? You degraded me, made me feel and act like a worthless piece of . You isolated me from my friends and my family, you killed my motivation for college, controlled me, used me. Hell, you wanna know why I ran that day? Because you spat in my face, told me that my friends see me as nothing but a tool and you punched me in the ing face. And I decided that was enough. And how dare you call Yoongi a rebound.” He'd stepped closer to his ex at this point, hand fisted in his shirt. “There's nothing to rebound from. Our 'relationship' if you even want to call it that was a waste of time. When I think about it, really, there's nothing to rebound from. So get out of my life and don't ever speak to me or even look at me again.” The singer pushed the taller backwards, turning and walking away. Yoongi watched with wide eyes, quickly following after Taehyung.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked quickly, Taehyung turned to him and offered a weak smile.

 

“Yeah, yeah I'm fine.” The brunette replied. Yoongi grabbed his hand. They were silent from then on. Yoongi kept his eye on the younger.

 

They ended up at Yoongi's apartment, watching old re-runs on tv before Taehyung turned to him, tears in his eyes but a small smile on his face.

 

“You know. I think... I think that actually helped...” He mumbled quietly, Yoongi turning to look at him, eyes wide, before he smiled gently, opening his arms. Taehyung quickly snuggled into him and laughed gently. “I actually feel lighter, like, that lifted some kind of... I don't know, burden I guess, off me.” Yoongi nodded, squeezing the younger. He was proud of him. Because standing up to someone like that is hard, saying what you feel to someone who scares you is difficult but the younger had done it. The rapper patted the youngers shoulder, Taehyung glancing up at him.

 

“You know, I think this calls for an ice-cream date.”

 


A/N: Fun fact, I have actually been thrown out of a shopping centre for running up the down escalator omg.