Chapter One

The Tones of His Voice

 

“Remind me again why you're dragging me out to some low-key pub?” Yoongi drawled, feebly attempting to pull his hand from Jimin's grip.

“Because my friend is playing tonight and I want to go support him and no-one else was free.” Jimin spoke boldly, pushing the button at the crossing and turning to face his hyung, eyes wide and mouth pouting. Yoongi bit the inside of his cheek.

“Fine. Fine, but I'm only staying an hour.” He mumbled, the black haired boy making a happy sound before dragging him across the road. Yoongi spent the rest of the walk in his thoughts, drowning out Jimin's constant chatter in favour of thinking of what he could be doing instead right now. Like sleeping. Or making music. Or eating. Or reading. Or watching crappy re-runs on the t.v. Or maybe eve-

“Oh, Kookie!” Jimin's voice tore him from his thoughts, Yoongi snapping his eyes to the youngest. He scowled before turning to Jimin.

“I thought you said no-one was free.” He asked, voice sharp as the dancer flinched back a little bit. Jungkook laughed and stepped between them, waving his hand.

“I wasn't, last minute change of plan.” The younger grinned before heading back in, Jimin sending the elder a sheepish smile as they both followed.

“Hyung, what are you drinking?” Jungkook asked when they reached the bar.

“Double vodka and soda water.” Yoongi spoke, leaning against the bar as the bartender went to make his order. Jimin ordered a bright cocktail, playing with the umbrella when they got the table Jungkook had found. They all sat down, Yoongi's eyes drifting to the keyboard.

“Where's Taetae?” Jimin asked over his glass, Jungkook throwing a thumb over his shoulder. Yoongi spared a glance in that direction and froze. About four tables away, was a lean, tall boy with brown hair leaning over a table, talking to someone who he could only assume was his soundtech. Jimin yelled out a hello and the boy whipped his head round, smile immediately gracing his feature as he bounded over, wrapping the black haired dancer in a tight hug.

“Jiminie! I thought you said you couldn't come?” Yoongi blinked because he didn't expect such a deep, silky voice to leave his mouth. Jimin giggled.

“Well, I realised that I can study anytime, but seeing you sing is not an everyday thing.” He grinned, smiling at his friend. Taetae, Yoongi assumed that was him anyway, nodded before turning to the blonde boy, smile still present.

“You must be Yoongi?” He asked, holding out his hand. Yoongi placed his drink down and reached over to take it, marvelling briefly at the difference in skin tone. “I'm Taehyung.” Yoongi nodded in reply, eyes still drawn to their hands. When he finally looked up to Taehyung, he found the other already staring. Quickly letting go, he grabbed his glass in one hand, straw in the other and guided it to his mouth.

“I'm excited.” Jungkook said simply, eyes holding Taehyung's gaze in an almost gentle, concerned way. Taehyung nodded gently before turning to Jimin. The two hugged again, Yoongi noticed that Jimin had whispered something to Taehyung, making the taller squeeze him a little harder before he let go and moved to his keyboard. When Jimin sat back down, Yoongi leant over to him.

“Is something going on?” He asked, trying to keep his tone neutral, but he felt like something was wrong. Jungkook offered a sad shrug, Jimin turning to the eldest with a sigh.

“Taetae's had... A rough few months I guess...” He spun his cocktail umbrella about as he spoke. “He was in a relationship with this guy and he seemed lovely, like really caring and nice and sweet but about five months in, things started to change. Tae's phone would go straight to voicemail when they were together, he'd refuse to see me or anyone, eventually he just secluded himself in his apartment.” Jimin, blinked, eyes flickering to Yoongi who only nodded. “I know he stopped eating properly too, he's still trying to get better with that.” Yoongi looked over to Taehyung, eyes analysing his frame properly and noticed that the other was incredibly thin, but it was well hidden under his choice of clothing.

“When he finally got out of the relationship he'd lost a lot of his passion for things, this is the first time he's sung live in about three months now.” The youngest spoke, eyes never leaving Taehyung's frame and Yoongi realised how much these two cared for the boy. Yoongi could feel the blood racing around in his veins, angry at whoever this was that messed up Taehyung's life. He may not know the kid, but nobody deserved that. He was calmed down rather suddenly by a soft piano melody filling the room, the chattering dimming to silence as everyone listened. Jimin watched his friend proudly, Jungkook watched him carefully and Yoongi watched him with amazement. The way his lithe fingers flew over the keys was almost beautiful and when the boy began to sing, Yoongi almost felt winded. His voice was phenomenal, emotions flooding from each note, eyes closed gently as he focused on binding himself with the music. Yoongi was speechless.

The first song finished and he smiled, Jimin and Jungkook clapping loudly, receiving a shy smile from the other as he moved his papers around, preparing to play his next song. Taehyung took a deep breath and began to play again, the melody soft and sad. Yoongi watched intently, noticing the boy tense up when he surveyed the crowd of people, his eyes widening in panic. Yoongi felt his heart tighten at the sight, hand coming up to make a gesture to the boy. Taehyung's eyes flickered to him and Yoongi pointed at his own eyes, mouthing for Taehyung to only look at him.

The brunette's fingers stumbled slightly over the keys, eyes wavering from Yoongi's eyes to the chair beside him, Jungkook and Jimin wore matching expressions of worry and hurt, before Taehyung suddenly righted himself, the melody flowing softly and his voice harmonising beautifully with the notes. Yoongi smiled gently, keeping eye contact with the taller, keeping his expression relaxed. A kid with this kind of talent doesn't deserve to feel worthless and scared of it, he deserves to be able to show it proudly to the world, and it was suddenly Yoongi's new goal to make sure that happened.

Taehyung played like that, eyes trained on Yoongi only, who would nod or smile to let the other know he was doing great. Taehyung would smile back. It was about eight songs in that Taehyung glanced to his two friends who watched him intently, having some kind of silent conversation. Jimin chewed on his bottom lip in worry, Jungkook nodding sadly. Taehyung nodded stiffly, hand settling back on the piano.

Yoongi noticed Jungkook's hand take a hold of Jimin, before drawing his eyes back to Taehyung, finding the others brown orbs waiting for him as opened his mouth slowly, fingers dancing along the keys. The tallers voice was softer this time, and Yoongi noticed how important this was to him, judging from the slight shake in his voice.

With a tearful voice,

Quietly I laugh,

My imagination struck,

By this colour palette.

Yoongi kept his silent promise, eyes never leaving Taehyungs as the other sang.

Please, distinguish me,

Colour me in,

Someone stop me,

Disappearing

Taehyung had closed his eyes at this point but Yoongi couldn't remove his eyes from him.

I love you.” made gentle blue tears release

Thank You.” Made a gentle red song ascend.

Taehyung had tears in his eyes when he looked back to Yoongi, desperately seeking strength as his breaths came out shakey through the mic. Yoongi nodded, smiling supportively, features softening.

Rising ultramine,

Spins around in my memories,

Entangling us within,

The future,

Became coloured.

The blonde had to fight back his own tears at this point, the emotion coming from the boy in front of him was intense. Sorrow and happiness, the feeling of being lost, destroyed and fixed all in one. The strength of the notes and the power behind his voice was memorising, beautiful.

I love you.” Painted soft black memories,

Thank you.” Spilled out a white kiss.

The last note was eerie, Yoongi shivering at how tremendously ethereal the other sounded. Taehyung got his breath back eyes scanning the crowd who all clapped for him, some even crying. Jimin was leaning his face into Jungkook's shoulder, sobbing gently as tears streamed silently down the youngers face. Yoongi stood up when Taehyung pulled his headphones off, announcing he was taking a break.

“That was beautiful.” Yoongi spoke, placing his hand gently on the others shoulder. Taehyung jumped before turning to him, a small smile sitting on his face as he moved his hands up to wipe his own eyes.

“T-thanks...” He mumbled before hugging the elder. Yoongi blinked, awkwardly wrapping his arms around him, petting his hair. Taehyung pulled back fast, laughing nervously before saying he needed a drink. Yoongi offered to pay. When Taehyung picked up his glass of white wine, Yoongi smiled.

“Honestly, that last song was wonderful.” He tried to convey his message, tried to tell him he loved it, that he could tell how personal that felt to the other and how much strength it must've taken for him to sing that, through his eyes and tone. Taehyung seemed to grasp it because his eyes sparkled in joy, mouth widening as he turned and made his way over to Jimin and Jungkook, Yoongi in tow.

“Kim Taehyung don't ever make me cry like that again!” Jimin scolded, ruffling his friends hair angrily, Taehyung just laughed. Jungkook threw a punch to his shoulder as Yoongi sat down. He watched the three talk, a smile gracing his lips as he sipped his drink. After ten minutes Taehyung downed his glass before standing back up, telling them his break was over before going back over to his keyboard. He played the second half of his set with a new found comfort, occasionally cracking jokes to his audience and asking them to sing along, smiling brightly when they complied.

When he was finished, he thanked the crowd for being an amazing audience and began to pack his things away, the trio drifting over to help. The guy he was with earlier came over too and began sliding bags over the speakers, all the while making light conversation with Jimin and Jungkook. When they were done packing everything away and loading it into the car, Taehyung gave Jimin and Jungkook a long hug, thanking them for coming to support him. He turned to Yoongi afterwards, hand coming to run over the back of his own neck.

“It was nice meeting you Yoongi, thank you for coming.” He smiled gently, honestly and Yoongi returned it, ruffling the taller's hair.

“No problem, I'm glad I did, you were amazing.” He spoke as he dug about in his pocket, pulling out his phone and unlocking it before handing it to the other. Taehyung eyed it curiously before Yoongi chuckled. “Put your number in. So I know when you're next playing.” He spoke casually and Taehyung lit up, immediately typing in his number under a new contact, sending himself a text. He went about adding Yoongi's number to his phone before handing the blonde back his own, thanking him again before jumping in the car with a last goodbye.

The trio watched the car drive away and Jimin nudged Yoongi's side.

“I thought you were only staying for an hour?”