Chapter Three

The Tones of His Voice

Taehyung didn't check his phone before he got home. He was in bed scrolling through articles on a website when he checked his texts. He read the message from Yoongi over before smiling, rolling over onto his side.

I'd love too. There's a nice cafe opposite where I played, meet you there at 10? :) 

 

Yoongi had agreed and was now waiting inside for the other, hands cradling a black ceramic cup with a plain coffee in it. When he saw Taehyung duck in through the door, he waved. The younger returned it before moving to the counter, eyes scanning the drinks menu. Once he'd placed his order and it was finished, he walked over to the older, Yoongi raising an eyebrow at the amount of cream sitting on the top of the cup. Taehyung giggled.

“I know I know. Jinnie-hyung always tells me off but, I really like whipped cream.” He spoke, shoving a spoonful of said cream into his mouth. Yoongi shook his head.

“Each to their own. That would make me sick, personally.” He half spoke into his cup, Taehyung humming in agreement. Taehyung filled the silence with stories of Namjoon and Jimin, claiming Yoongi could use them as black-mail.

“Honestly though, Jinnie-hyung was sooo mad with him. I would've been too. Who manages to knock a vase, picture frame and potted plant off a table before getting one arm into his jacket sleeve?” Taehyung laughed out, sipping at his hot chocolate. Yoongi laughed too. He knew Namjoon was a disaster, he'd learnt that when the other had tripped over a wire and successfully cut all the sound, but he didn't know it was that common.

“Hey, Taehyung?” Yoongi spoke softly when the younger had finished telling him a story about Jungkook running away from the till at a shop because the guy scared him. Taehyung blinked at him and nodded for him too continue. “I don't want to pry but. Jimin and Jungkook told me you...” He paused, pulling his bottom lip into his mouth. Was it really okay to ask about this? Would Taehyung get offended?

Taehyung sighed gently, shaking his head lightly. “You mean the past few months for me?” He asked quietly, Yoongi nodding guiltily in answer. A sad smile graced Taehyungs features as he finished his drink, left hand coming down to drum out random rhythms on the table. Yoongi was about to apologise before Taehyung started speaking.

“It's okay to ask I guess. They all say I should talk to someone new about it, get an opinion from someone who wasn't involved. I'm sure they meant professionals but... If you want too know...I can try?” The singer spoke, eyes focusing on Yoongi's hands. Yoongi nodded slowly, taking a deep breath.

“Only if you're ready and want too Taehyung, I won't force you too.” He reached out, taking a hold of the others hand. Taehyung blinked up at him and gripped Yoongi's hand tighter.

“Like I said, I can try. But... Can we go somewhere quieter?”

 

They ended up walking to a park, adventuring into the tree line before Taehyung stopped and sat down on a fallen tree, Yoongi sitting beside him. There was a silence before Taehyung took a deep breath, taking a hold of the olders hand again, eyes focused on a leaf on the floor, Yoongi turned to him anyway, gently rubbing his thumb over the back of Taehyung's hand.

“So, I'm guessing they told you that I was in a... bad relationship? It sounds weird saying that out loud. But, they're right. It was a terrible relationship. To begin with, it felt wonderful. I felt beautiful, loved and important. He took me out on a lot of fun dates, cinema, zoo, amusement park, fancy dinners, 3am runs for fast food, late night walks and talks under the stars. It felt real you know?” Taehyung paused, glancing at Yoongi who only nodded gently. The singer took a deep breath, looking up this time.

“I thought I was in love, madly, stupidly in love. But he started to change, I'm still not really sure if that was his intention from the start. The dinner dates started to become controlled, he would pick my meals for me, only let me drink water, telling me I had to watch my figure to stand beside him. I was so blind Yoongi-hyung, I believed it. Whenever I mentioned seeing Jiminie or Jungkook or Namjoon and Jinnie-hyung, he'd tell me I couldn't, he'd say they were bad for me, and that he already had something planned.” Taehyung's voice shook, tears filling his eyes as he leant his head on Yoongi's shoulder.

“I wouldn't say I believed that but, I obeyed him anyway. After about two weeks, I found myself stuck in the apartment, waiting for him to finish work. I was only allowed out to get to college. By that point, I'd lost a lot of weight, and I didn't even make it to college most days, my days all blurred into one. It was another two weeks after that that Jungkook turned up at my door, practically begging me to out with him. I declined, told him I was busy, I hid behind the door that time. I didn't want Kookie to see me like that, thin, frail, pale and weak. He tried once more before sighing in defeat and leaving, making me promise to call him if something happened.” Taehyung's voice shook and he stopped briefly, Yoongi wrapped an arm around him, his heart hurting for the boy. He was angry, upset and heartbroken. Taehyung took a few deep breaths, controlling his sobs before nodding into Yoongi's side.

“It was literally three minutes after Jungkook left that the door slammed open. I remember jumping in shock, I bashed my knee on the table. Before I could ask him what went wrong that day, he was in front of me, hand balled up in my shirt, spitting in my face while he asked why Kookie was there...” Taehyung sobbed, shaking his head frantically. Yoongi shushed him, turning them around on the tree so he could pull the younger against his chest. Taehyung shrunk back into him, hiding his face in Yoongi's arm as his body shook from sobs. They stayed like that for a few minutes, Taehyung eventually calmed down, working hard to steady his breathing, hiccups escaping his mouth. The blonde rapper held him tight, occasionally pressing kisses to the brunette's head, whispering that everything was gonna be okay.

“S-sorry Yoongi-hyung...I...I can't...” Taehyung choked out. Yoongi shook his head.

“It's fine. Taehyung you did well. I'm.... I'm so sorry that happened to you...” He spoke quietly, unable to find words. His heart hurt for the boy in his arms, hiw own tears falling silently. They sat like that for hours, Yoongi providing silent comfort for the younger as he cried periodically.

Yoongi walked Taehyung back to his apartment that night. Taehyung's hands shook as he tried to unlock the door, hand running through his hair in frustration before he got it on the fifth try. He stepped in and turned to Yoongi who smiled warmly at him.

“T-thanks Hyung... It... Means a lot to me. Really.” Taehyung whispered. Yoongi pulled the other into a tight hug.

“Anytime Tae. Get some rest okay. If you need anything, you have my number.” He pulled away, hands resting gently on the youngers shoulders as he looked into his eyes. “I mean it. I don't care if it's four in the afternoon or three in the morning, I'll be here if you need me.” Taehyung nodded feebly once, before biting his bottom lip. He hugged the older once more before saying goodbye, closing the door behind him. Yoongi waited for a few minutes before turning around and heading down the stairs.

He wanted to fix Taehyung, no matter what.