Chapter Seven

The Tones of His Voice

Yoongi hadn't checked the caller ID when he answered. He was ready to verbally tear whoever the hell thought it was a good idea to wake him up at one in the morning a new one, but that soon disappeared when he heard the voice on the other line.

“Tae?” He asked carefully, slowly sitting up in his bed. The other end was silent, bar a few sobs, for a while. Yoongi ran a hand through his hair. “Tae what's up?” The blonde couldn't keep the worry out of his voice as he made his way out of the bed and to the kitchen, filling a glass with water. The younger was still silent, Yoongi only knew he was still there by the rough breathing. 

“I'm so ing stupid Yoongi-hyung.” Taehyung spoke with such finality that Yoongi jumped. His hands shook as he took in the youngers words, shaking his head to himself.

“What? You're not stupid Tae, what happened?” He asked, trying to keep his voice steady. There was a dry laugh on the other end.

“I'm sat in front of my door sobbing over my ex and . Thinking about it, I must be a freaking idiot.” Yoongi had moved to his entry hall, pulling on his jacket and shoes.

“Tae stay there, I'm coming over okay?” He listened for any reply, a small, broken yes reaching his ears.

Taehyung jumped away from the door when the doorbell rang. He stared at the door handle with wide eyes, hands clutching his phone tight. He told Yoongi to hang up, he didn't want to just sob down the phone. 

“Tae, it's just me.” Yoongi called out softly and Taehyung immediately moved to open it, heart rate slowing ever so slightly at the sight of the male. The singer immediately pulled the other into his apartment, closing his front door with his body. 

“I'm really sorry Hyung, god it's like two in the morning and I made you come here and oh m-” He was cut of by Yoongi taking hold of his hand gently, shaking his head.

“Hey hey calm down it's okay, I don't mind.” He whispered, watching as Taehyung's face relaxed slightly, the younger nodding. Yoongi led them into the front room, sitting them both down, wrapping his arms tight around the younger. Taehyung fisted his hands into his shirt. They stayed silent, Yoongi rubbing soothing circle into the youngers back. 

After twenty minutes, Taehyung spoke.

“Hyung, can I ask you something?” Yoongi noticed the hesitant tone in the youngers voice and made a small hum in the back of his throat. The singer looked up at him. “What.... What do you think of me?”

The question took Yoongi by surprise, his eyes widening ever so slightly.

“I think... I think you're kind, sweet, caring, funny, unfortunate and broken. But I don't think the fact you've had a bad experience makes you less of a person. I think you're too hard on yourself, I think you're scared. But I also think you are definitely strong enough to over come this. I think you're loved by so many people and I think you need to learn how to accept that again.” Taehyung's eyes had filled with tears again as he buried his face into the older's chest. Yoongi started to play with his hair, blinking tears from his own eyes.

Taehyung was so fragile, the blonde held him carefully, butterfly light touches and whispered words of comfort. After an hour, the younger sat up slowly, nodding carefully.

“Thank you.” The words were simple, but Yoongi could see the glimmer of hope in Taehyung's eyes, the ghost of a smile on his lips, could almost see a part of his heart piecing itself together again. He smiled and pulled the singer in for a brief hug, a yawn escaping his mouth. Taehyung giggled.

“Do you want me to stay here with you?” Yoongi asked. Taehyung bit his bottom lip, nodding slightly. Yoongi just smiled and stood up, asking where the spare blankets were. 

“You... Could you stay in my room?” Taehyung asked quietly, eyes watching the floor and a light blush on his face. Yoongi just laughed, agreeing. Taehyung led them to his bedroom, flicking the light on and sighing to himself when he saw the mess he'd left.

The blonde observed the notebooks and loose pieces of paper littering the room, the keyboard balanced on the bed, pens strewn everywhere. The sight made him feel at home, comfortable. Taehyung mumbled something before moving to gather it all up.

“I can finish putting it all away if you want to go get ready for bed?” Yoongi offered, to which Taehyung accepted gratefully and trudged off to his bathroom. The rapper continued to stack the pieces of paper, eyes landing on one hiding underneath the quilt. He picked it up, planning to put it on the pile with the rest of them, but his eyes scanned the lines instead.

The shadow of my past haunts me, 
Leaves me scared, alone.
But you came into my life and I feel more alive,
There's vibrance to the colours I see when you're around.

You'd never know,
But I've trusted you with my glass heart,
I placed it in your hands as you held mine, 
I'll follow you down this path.

People tell me things need time to develop,
But ever since our eyes met I've known you would mean so much to me,
Our time has been short yet I believe you when you tell me 'It will be alright.'
You make me feel safe.

You'd never know,
But I've trusted you with my glass heart,
I placed it in your hands as you held mine, 
I'll follow you down this path.

I'm not sure I know what love is anymore but,
If I had to guess, it would be how you make me feel.

It would be the warmth that fills my heart when you smile at me,
The relief I feel when I hear your voice,
The safety I feel when you hold me,
The spark that runs through my body at a simple touch.

You'd never know,
But I've trusted you with my glass heart,
I placed it in your hands as you held mine, 
I'll follow you down this path.

Yoongi blinked when he saw a drop of water land on the page, quickly rubbing his eyes when he realised they were his tears. He quickly moved the paper to the pile and sat on the edge of the bed. Taehyung came back in then, already changed for bed.

“Your turn Yoongi-hyung.” He spoke quietly, the blonde looking up to see the younger holding out a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and toothbrush. He smiled and moved to the bathroom himself. When he was back, the singer was already asleep.

The blonde led down beside the younger, slowly placing an arm around him. Yoongi had always prided himself on not being too self-absorbed or big headed. But what he read earlier, he felt like it was aimed at him. His heart felt happy, warm and a little scared. 

He didn't sleep that night.