Chapter Two

The Tones of His Voice

When Taehyung got home that evening he spent a minute stood in his living room, staring down at his equipment. Sighing, he began putting it all away before picking up his keyboard and moving to his bedroom. Leaning the instrument against the wall, he sat on his bed and pulled out his phone.

He found a smile settling over his face as he re-read the texts from Kookie and Jiminie, things like “You were amazing we're so proud Taetae!” or “You killed it tonight, as was expected really, you're the best singer I've ever heard!” Falling back on his bed he laughed gently. This was absurd really.

He didn't feel all that proud and happy, nor did he feel upset and disheartened. He just felt...Like something was missing. Rolling over, he grabbed his charger and plugged his phone in before running his hands through his hair and standing up. Once he made it to the bathroom, he stopped and watched his reflection, skin pulled slightly tight around his features, eyes encircled by purple rings. Dragging one hand over his face, Taehyung sighed in frustration. Getting ready for bed, he entered his room again and got changed. As his head hit the pillow, his phone buzzed.

“Yoongi : 23:14:56

You were fantastic tonight. Thank you.”

Taehyung grinned, soon falling asleep.

 

“Namjoon hurry up please.” Jin spoke as he climbed the stairs of the apartment block, Namjoon stumbling behind him, complaining.

“I'm trying.” He mumbled, cursing the fact the lift was broken. Jin just laughed as he to the floor, walking a few steps before knocking on the door. Namjoon took a moment to lean against the wall.

The door opened a minute later, Jin smiling fondly at the sight of Taehyung, his hair ruffled and face slightly puffy. He only just woke up.

“Good morning.” The elder spoke softly as Taehyung smiled, stepping aside to let them in. Jin gave the younger a hug, which he gratefully returned. Namjoon was next.

“I'm really sorry we couldn't make it last night Tae.” He spoke sincerely, and Taehyung shook his head.

“It's okay, Jiminie and Kookie came, a friend of theirs came too.” Taehyung smiled, moving to the kitchen to grab some water. Jin nodded happily, Namjoon just throwing his arm over the youngers shoulder.

“I knew Jiminie would make time for you.” He beamed, making Taehyung laugh. Jin followed them into the kitchen, pulling out a plastic tub from his bag. Taehyung glanced at it and immediately grimaced. Jin shook his head.

“Taehyungie, you have to eat.” He spoke sternly as the other shook his head, lips pressed together in a tight line. Namjoon sighed and ruffled Taehyung's hair.

“Come on kid, just a little bit?” Namjoon spoke softly, Taehyung looked at him, then to Jin, then to the tub. He shook his head again.

“Not hungry. Put it in the fridge.” His tone was flat as he excused himself to his room to get ready for the day. Jins shoulders slumped in defeat as he did was suggested, storing the tub in the practically empty fridge. Namjoon placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder and shook his head.

“He'll get there Jin.” He spoke quietly as Jin turned to face him, taking a deep breath and nodding. He pushed the heels of his hands into his eyes to stop himself from crying and Namjoon pulled him into a hug. Both Namjoon and Jin knew the younger struggled to eat, it wasn't anything personal against them but, it still upset them both when he refused. They just wanted him to get better.

About ten minutes later, Taehyung walked out of his room, clad in torn light blue jeans and a black t-shirt, phone in his hand. Namjoon smiled at him.

“You got plans?” He asked carefully, Jin turning around too look too, both grinning. The youngest lifted his head and smiled.

“I didn't but, judging from those faces, now I do.” He grinned, watching as both Namjoon and Jin laughed. Taehyung pulled on his shoes and a jacket, grabbed his keys and led the other two out of his apartment. Namjoon and Jin walked either side of him as they walked down the steps, asking about the night before. Taehyung happily explained before he paused, an almost private smile gracing his lips. Namjoon raised an eyebrow.

“Well, Jiminie's friend, Yoongi, he was... Really supportive.” The singer spoke quietly and Jin smiled warmly at him, throwing an arm around his shoulder and squeezing. Namjoon blinked.

“Yoongi?” He asked, watching as Taehyung glanced to him with confused eyes.

“Do you know him Hyung?”The youngest spoke, tone slightly lost. Namjoon laughed in disbelief.

“Yeah, I met him about a month ago where I do under-ground rapping, he's crazy good. I didn't know he knew Jiminie though.” Taehyung lightened up at this knowledge, suddenly clinging to the older with sparkling eyes, demanding he take him with him next time. Jin watched fondly as Namjoon laughed and nearly tripped down the stairs.

 

That's exactly what Namjoon did. That saturday, he rang Taehyung and the younger gratefully excepted his invitation, agreeing to meet him at the venue at about 7. The singer had thought about texting Yoongi but he wanted to surprise him, he wanted it be like when Yoongi saw him perform for the first time. Taehyung was excited the whole day, constantly flapping his sleeves at Jimin's shoulders and trying to get Jungkook to carry him. The other two couldn't stop smiling. They loved it when the other was excited and happy, they'd give everything they had just to make sure this lasted.

“Joonie-Hyung!” Taehyung yelled, running up to the older and hugging him tightly. Namjoon stumbled back against the wall and wrapped his arms around the younger while smiling.

“Hey Tae, calm down a little bit yeah.” Namjoon let go of the singer as he took a step back, shaking his head at the box-shaped grin on the youngers face. The rapper led the younger down the stairs into the room and Taehyung whined about how warm it was, already wrapping his jacket around his waist. Namjoon ruffled his hair and led him to the side of a small stage.

“Stay here.” He said quickly as he walked away, Taehyung going to reach after him but huffing when the older had already got to far. Looking around, he saw the room begin to fill slowly, people coming in in groups of two or four. The singer found himself somewhere to sit and stretched his arms above his head.

“Taehyung?” He snapped his head back to look above him at the sound of his name, coming face to face with a very confused looking Yoongi. Taehyung grinned, turning around in his chair.

“Yoongi! Hi.” He waved, Yoongi nodding and blinking a few times.

“What are you doing here?” The older asked just as someone approached them, a glass of water being held to Taehyung. Yoongi looked to the side of him to see Namjoon grinning at him. Little .

“Hey Yoongi-hyung. How're you?” He asked, Yoongi made light talk with him, Taehyung observing them silently as he sipped at his water. After ten minutes someone came up to Yoongi and told him he was up next, Yoongi nodding and bidding his farewell to Namjoon, waving at Taehyung who waved back. Taehyung kept his glass pressed to his mouth, eyes following Yoongi's smaller frame as he stepped onto the stage, waiting for silence. Namjoon watched Taehyung's face light up when Yoongi began to rap. What surprised him though, was that he expected the younger to get excited, he expected him to grab his shirt and yell about how amazing the other was. But instead Taehyung sat there silently, small smile on his lips, barely blinking as he focused all of his attention on Yoongi. Yoongi occasionally looked their way too, eyes holding Taehyungs for a few seconds before he closed them again or moved elsewhere on the stage. Taehyung clapped when Yoongi was finished, placing his glass down and moving to the older.

“That was really good Yoongi-hyung.” He spoke happily and Yoongi smiled lightly at him. They moved back over to Namjoon who clapped Yoongi on the shoulder. The shorter huffed before waving Namjoon away, telling him he was up next. The taller rapper nodded, moving to the stage.

“I didn't know you knew Namjoon?” Yoongi asked the younger after he got his own drink. Taehyung nodded.

“Yeah, he's one of my closest friends, I met him at college. He'd helped me out a lot over the past few months.” The singer's voice drifted off leaving them in a comfortable silence. As Namjoon's rap began to fill the room, Yoongi watched Taehyung who was watching the rapper on stage with the same kind of awe Jungkook and Jimin had for him the other night. The blonde sipped his drink quietly.

When it was time to leave, Namjoon waved gently at Yoongi who waved back, smiling at Taehyung before turning around to walk away. He got about two steps down the road before he felt a hand grab his shoulder.

“You're really good at rapping Yoongi-hyung, I'm glad I got to see it.” Taehyung spoke as Yoongi looked back at him. He nodded gently and Taehyung pulled him into a brief hug before waving and running back to Namjoon, linking their arms together. Yoongi spent his walk home thinking about the younger. He'd noticed that the smiles and laughs and the energy were the youngers shield, his way of trying to convince the world he was fine. But when he was quiet, Yoongi could see the cracks in the younger and he wanted to fix them. He pulled out his phone when he got home, opening up Taehungs contact information.

Meet me for coffee tomorrow morning?