Chapter 10

Arranged Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Have fake marriages become such a frequency that we don’t react even if it’s happening right in front of our eyes? Has it become a regular occurrence to be married because of money, fame, business? If not, then why is it that we decide to close our eyes, even if it’s obvious that CEO Oh Sehun didn’t marry by love? Or is it the other way around? Is the CEO’s wife being forced into this so called marriage?”

I closed my laptop with a loud thump, refusing to read any further. New articles were being released almost every day about my marriage and the subject was the same in every single one of them.

Sehun married me not because of love. The journalists were trying their hardest to make their readers believe into their so called truth. Not just words, but with their “evidence” too. There were photos of Sehun and I during some of the parties we had attended together. But the question they were asking was why I didn’t look at my husband with the gaze full of love and care. One of the articles even happened to have photos of me talking with Taehyung and Sehun sitting next to Anna.

The only difference in them was who the journalists were trying to blame.

In one part, I was not suitable to be my husband’s wife. What kind of a spouse doesn’t accompany her husband when he is returning as a head of his father’s company? Where did the CEO’s wife go after returning from their so called vacation in London? I remember cursing out loud the moment I read that one on a news tablet. Was it for them to know where I would want to go?

On the other hand, Sehun had it much worse. He was called a man not able to be loyal to his wife. Unprofessional. A liar.

Even though his stoic face did it’s best to hide it, I could feel just how hard Sehun was taking all of it. It was hard for him to stand steadily while controlling his company, when everyone around seemed to be against him. At least he could hide from all that negativity at home.

That thought made me smile, just as I heard the front door open and a very loud groan from the hall.

“Sehun?” I asked as he walked slowly into the kitchen, very aggressively loosening his black tie. “Is everything alright?” I continued.

“I don’t know, you tell me.” He sighed as he sank in a chair by the table. His eyebrows were furrowed as he massaged the space between them with his slender fingers.

“Tough day at work?” I asked quietly, not wanting to make it worse for him.

“Everyone around is reading those stupid articles about us.” He sighed. “And there were journalists at the entrance when I was coming out, waving some photos in front of my face.” Finally, he looked at me first time for the night.

“Which photos?” I asked cautiously, although the answer was pretty clear in my head.

He hesitated for a second, before shaking his head and saying “Don’t worry about it.”

“Photos of me and Taehyung, right?” I asked sadly.

Was it my fault that everything happening around him was so much harder? If it wasn’t for my psychotic father he wouldn’t even have to worry about it, would he?

“I’m sorry.” I said quietly.

Sehun’s eyes shot up, looking at me confused. “What are you sorry for?”

“I told you I wouldn’t fake our marriage publicly and now all of this is happening. And if I didn’t see Taehyung that night maybe there wouldn’t even be any photos to harass you with.” I lowered my head and suddenly realized that maybe it was a first time I had made Sehun a priority.

“Are you serious right now?” disappointment filled his face. “There are photos from far earlier than that day you went to see him again. And what, you don’t have a right to meet with a friend?” the impact he made on the word friend left me a feeling that it was all he would see Taehyung as. My friend.

“And weren’t you the one who thought that all this fakeness needed to go? Why are you talking like you don’t have a right to want something?” his voice was raising. Like he knew what he was saying was right, but wasn’t very keen on saying it either.

“You’re probably right…” I answered after some time. “But try not to think about it here.”

“What?” he asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

“This is home isn’t it?” I smiled. “All of those problems belong outside, don’t let them haunt you at home.”

Sehun thought about my words for a while.

“Yeah.” He answered. “Home is good.”

I smiled again, knowing he meant it. Even though we had lived it this house for quite a while, it was only now that it started to become something more. Something warmer.

Dinner went quietly. Quieter than usual. Sehun didn’t comment on my food, even though it was obvious he was enjoying it. After we were finished, Sehun awkwardly looked around the kitchen, before standing and getting himself a glass of water.

“Sehun?” I asked. He hummed in answer.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course” he nodded.

“I want to know, how did you end up here?”

“What do you mean?” he asked confused.

“How did you end up married to me?” I continued. “I mean, for me it was my father and his business, but you clearly didn’t want to be married to me, so why? Or how?” it was the first time I had asked something about the start of our relationship. His face was showing a lot of thought, as if he was contemplating if it was worth to answer.

“You don’t have to answer if you’re not comfortable with it.” I added. “I’m just curious.”

“It’s okay.” He smiled. “Actually, my father is also involved.” I nodded.

“I had a good relationship with my dad. I was so clingy, I practically thought he was a hero.” Sehun smiled. “And he was a really good man, he was just a little old-fashioned. He always thought that family is more important than business, so he was nervous whether or not I would marry at all.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “When I said he was old-fashioned, I mean very, very old-fashioned. He always believed in my abilities to grow up as an heir to his company, but when I didn’t react to any of the girls he brought home for me to meet, he actually became nervous.” He stopped to look at me, then continued.

“I don’t know how you’d feel about what I’m about to say. Before he got broke, your father was a partner of my dad. Do you remember him? We used to attend a lot of your family’s parties. He always noticed how nice, kind and well-mannered you were. He loved attention and when people treated him kindly, like you did. Once we accidentally saw you argue with your father. I think he was trying to get you to flirt with someone and get some information out of them, I don’t know. I remember saying that you’re not as much of an angel as you seemed. But my dad begged to differ. He said how you can stand up to yourself and that you can tell difference between wrong and right.”

My eyes widened. All of that was happening in my own house without me noticing. Maybe I even noticed but then I always thought of all the guests at our family parties as a big, pathetic crowd of people, who only thought of how to rob others. Maybe I was wrong.

“Since that day” Sehun continued. “He always talked about you. He asked me to get to know you better, and believe me I would have done that if it wasn’t for the purpose my dad actually wanted. He wanted me to marry, even if it was without love and some kind of a teenage soul in me wanted to prove him wrong. My dad always thought love came somewhere during the marriage, not before it. And before he…” he looked down. “Before he…”

“It’s okay, Sehun, you don’t have to say it.” I told him, knowing it must have been hard for him to talk about his dad in a past form.

“He told me he’d die happy if only he saw me married and settled down.” I could see tears in his eyes. “But I didn’t know if I had such little time to make him happy.” His voice was filled with emotion.

“After he wasn’t there, I was lost.” First teardrop fell on his cheek. “Suho’s dad was the only authority figure left in my life and he was also so sure that marrying you was the right thing. It would not only help our business, but he thought it would make my father happy wherever he was. That I would have somebody to take care of me, because he was sure I wouldn’t do that for myself.” He took a deep breath and looked at me.

“The reason I acted so awful around you was because I was so angry. At myself and at you and at everything and now I’m so sorry.”

He finally looked down and stopped. I wasn’t ready for this confession, but on the other hand it cleared all the confusion around me. It was as if our story found the beginning it was lacking so much.

“It’s okay.” I cleared my throat. “I’m not a perfect wife either, remember?” I laughed trying to ease the situation. “Thank you for telling me all of this.” I said. “It really means so much.”

Sehun just smiled in answer and it was more than enough. He continued drinking his water and cleared his thought.

I stood up collecting the dishes and walking over to the sink. Suddenly I realized I wasn’t in the mood to wash them that night, so I put them down and after contemplating a little, slowly walked in front of Sehun.

“Do- do you…” I stuttered.

“What is it?” he asked.

“I-“ I started again. “I baked some cookies and- and some other snacks earlier, so do you- “I coughed. “Do you… maybe… want to watch a movie with me?” I looked up at him. “I mean it’s Friday and you don’t have work tomorrow… so we could eat the cookies and drink something… or no cookies if you’re full, I mean you just ate dinner- “suddenly he touched my single lock that had fallen from my bun and pulled on it.

“Did you get electrocuted?” he joked, but there was a crack in his laugh. “Yeah, there is a movie I want to watch.”

I smiled before replying, “That’s great.” Then I started to slowly his shirt’s sleeves “Go and change into something comfortable while I get the cookies.” I reached for his black tie and released the knot, pulling it over his head. I held my hand high, handing the tie over to him and as he was taking it I noticed all of the unnecessary places our skins touched.

Sehun walked past me and upstairs into his bedroom. The second he left, I exhaled all of the breath I had been holding in for past ten minutes. Never before had my heart beaten as fast. I wandered what had changed.

Clearing my thoughts, I walked over to the cupboards, getting out all the cookies I had baked earlier. Putting them in a bowl, I poured tea in two cups and heard footsteps coming from the stairs. I smiled involuntarily thinking of what was about to happen. Nothing spectacular in fact, but something new, and maybe just a little bit amazing.

Just as I walked into the living room carrying my tray and placing it on the coffee table, Sehun came in, holding something enormous and fluffy in his hands.

“What is that?” I asked laughing.

“My blanket.” He said casually.

“I’ve never seen it before.” I noticed.

“It’s my favorite. I’ve had it since I was like four, so I never show it to anyone.” He stated and slumped down on a couch.

“Well you’re showing it to me now.” I said, placing the cups on the table.

“Yeah, you could say you’re lucky.” He chuckled. “But you’re pretty privileged too, because I’m going to let you come under it.” I could feel my cheeks heat up. I remembered the time when nothing he did could have any effect on me. Thinking about it only made me more confused.

“Did you put on the film?” I asked him, as I turned off the lights and plopped down on the couch. He nodded bringing his blanket over us. I could de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter