Beta Beta BANG

How to Love

The next night is Beta Beta’s BANG party, one of the biggest parties of the year.

Dresses and shorts and shirts are thrown all over the Kappa Gamma House floors and the smell of multiple perfumes fills the air.

 Meimei , make me look pretty.” Zitao smiles shyly up at Baekhyun.

The latter shrieks and screams, “Ah, Taozi is so cute!” (for the nth time since Zitao moved in) and kisses Zitao’s cheek. “Anything for you, Taozi!”

Zitao closes her eyes and lets the eyeliner expert do her makeup for her while Kyungsoo and Jia-Li pick something out for her to wear.

"This?" Kyungsoo holds up a tiny pair of ripped jean shorts (Zitao thinks they won't even cover anything) and a loose, low-cut black top.

“Or a dress?” Jia-Li holds up a tight black strapless dress covered in sequins.

"I vote nothing." Baekhyun goes ignored.

Zitao squeaks. “I’ve never worn anything like that! Any of that!”

Kyungsoo simply raises an eyebrow and also raises a pair of strappy black heels, seeming to agree with Jia-Li.

“I-I-I can’t! I wear sweats and Sleeping With Sirens t-shirts and old Converse-” Zitao’s blabbering is lost with the three who don’t care.

Zitao is forced in it.

 

Meanwhile, ignoring Zitao’s screams of mercy and Baekhyun’s wails of “Don’t mess up her makeup!” and Kyungsoo’s yells of "Shut up, Byun!" and Jia-Li’s obnoxious laughter, three others dress in Junmyeon’s room.

“Seokjinnie, wear this!” Junmyeon holds up a short tight red dress with long sleeves.

Seokjin snorts. "You're usually not one to ask someone to wear something so... not you."

Junmyeon thinks on her clothing choices. She wears jean shorts and t-shirts and flip flops. What? It's comfortable. "There's nothing wrong with what I wear." She sticks her tongue out at the other girl. "But tonight is the BANG party and it's a big party for the Greek houses and it's once a year, so why not?"

"Okay, okay, whatever you say." Seokjin grabs the dress from Junmyeon and starts to change.

Junmyeon turns to Minseok. "Unni, what about you?"

"Mmm, I think this." Minseok points to short black shorts and a dark blue button up lying on Junmyeon's bed. It's cute and simple, just how Minseok likes it.

“It’s cute, unni,” Jumyeon smiles, slipping on her loose, one shouldered black dress.

 

-

 

By the time the Kappa Gamma sorority reaches Beta Beta’s house, the BANG party is already in full swing; loud music is blasting from the backyard, shouts can be heard, and the smell of beer and excitement is full in the air.

Jia-Li absentmindedly wonders if the boy she saw at the restaurant will be here. She heads to the drink and snack table, grabs a cookie and a cup of punch, and walks to the backyard where everyone is dancing. She eats her cookie and washes it down before leaping into the fray, moving her body along to the rhythm of the music.

It’s not long before strong hands place themselves on her waist and she looks up. Her breath hitches in .

It’s him. “It’s you,” she says, looking at the boy standing in front of her, canine smile wide. His dark red hair is delightfully messy and he looks absolutely delicious in his t-shirt and jeans.

He laughs. “Yeah, it’s me. I saw you at the restaurant a couple days ago after the football game.”

“Ah.” Jia-Li looks away, embarrassed.

The boy laughs again and introduces himself. “I’m Mark Tuan.”

“I’m Wang Jia-Li.” And then she sees it. The ring. The Kappa Pi Beta ring on his right hand.

“You’re in Kappa Pi Beta?” Jia-Li blurts out, looking up at him in shock.

“Ah, I am.” Mark glances down at his ring. “Why? What sorority are you in?”

“I-In Gamma Gamma Sigma,” Jia-Li says the first sorority that comes to her mind besides hers. She hides her hand with her sorority ring behind her back.

Mark looks at her carefully. “You don’t seem like a Gamma Gamma girl,” he replies.

Jia-Li shrugs. “So I’ve been told.” And her stomach drops as she realizes the mess she’s created for herself when she sees Seokjin heading her way.

 

-

 

The first thing Yixing does when they reach the party is slip off to find her boyfriend. She finds him at the snack table with Kwon Jiyong of Beta Beta.

He looks up and catches her eye, excuses himself to Jiyong, and walks toward her, smile big on his face. "Hey," he greets.

She smiles back and they find a dark, secluded area from the rest of everyone else. "Hi." And she stands on her tiptoes to give Kris's lips a small peck. "How are you?"

"Good," he replies and smiles goofily. Yixing laughs. Her boyfriend may seem like a cool, unapproachable guy but he's really just a giant ball of stupid and goof.

He leans his forehead against hers and sighs. "This whole secret relationship is stupid. Why should we have to sneak around when it wasn't us who made the mistake?"

Yixing replies, "It's kind of fun though, don't you think? Sneaking around, playing harmless pranks on each other, talking trash..."

Kris stares down at her. "I got a concussion from the Water and Bucket Incident last year."

Yixing cringes as she remembers one of the pranks they did last year. Kappa Gamma had gathered large buckets of water and ambushed and dumped the water on the Kappa Pi Beta members while they were sitting in the grassy area in front of Jung Hall.

Yixing had accidently dropped the entire bucket onto her victim's head and then proceeded to shriek as he stood up, confused and disoriented, and accidently tripped over his backpack, landing on head. Still inside the bucket.

"But that was how we met," she says, smiling up at him. "So it doesn't matter that I gave you a concussion."

Kris snorts but he smiles back and leans in to kiss her. "I guess so."

 

-

 

Jia-Li is internally panicking as Seokjin walks towards her.

Seokjin catches her eye and waves.

Jia-Li weakly waves back. "Hey," she croaks as she stops in front of her.

"Hey, Jia-Li. Mark." Seokjin looks at the tall boy behind her.

"Seokjin."

Jia-Li gapes. "You two know each other?"

Seokjin nods. "He's in my year. And he's also my AP Biology lab partner. And he's also a Kappa Pi Beta." She stares straight at Jia-Li.

Said girl flinches and bows her head.

Seokjin sighs and gestures for Jia-Li to walk away with her and Jia-Li obeys, looking back at Mark.

He doesn't look mad though. Instead, he smiles, grabs her hand with her sorority ring, and kisses the back of her hand. "I knew you weren't a Gamma Gamma girl." He smirks. "I'll see you later."

Jia-Li squeaks as she's dragged away.

 

-

 

"Man, this partying tires me out," Minseok sighs as she toes off her red heels and plops down on one of the couches in the main parlor. She checks the time and finds only 2 hours have passed since they've arrived. "I'm too old for this."

"Really?" Jimin follows her and pulls out her phone from her clutch to check her Instagram. "I love it!"

Minseok shoots her a dry look and Jimin laughs.

"Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in."

Both girls lift their heads to see Xiao Luhan in all of his pretty glory, accompanied by three of his new pledges.

"Oh," Minseok says. "Jimin, I think this little boy is lost. Should we call his mommy?"

Jimin cackles.

Luhan sneers at both of them. "This is what you should avoid, boys. Witches like the Kappa Gamma girls."

Minseok snorts, turning back to her phone. "I don't have time for a little lost boy right now. Bye bye, Xiao."

Jimin is too preoccupied with her Instagram and Pinterest to even bother saying anything to Luhan or the new pledges, so she doesn't see him snarl and stalk away, pledges at his feet.

She also doesn't see a tall first year staring at her in shock and wonder, as he's pushed away.