The Beginning

How to Love

“Sit.” Junmyeon pats the seat on the couch next to her.

Zitao hesitantly goes and sits down, shooting Jia-Li a panicked look. Jia-Li looks worried.

“It all started when I was a first year here, Seokjin and Yixing as well. We had just joined the sorority and we had the sweetest President, Eunhee.”




 

“Welcome!” Fourth year Lim Eunhee’s smile was the brightest eighteen year old Kim Junmyeon had ever seen. Fresh out of high school, she was following her dream of becoming big in the business; of course, first thing is first though. Join the best sorority on campus.

She does well in her interviews and is accepted along with two other girls that year: a tall, beautiful girl named Kim Seokjin, who loved all things pink and princessy; and Zhang Yixing, a small, quiet Chinese girl who was quite forgetful. They became her best friends that year.

As the year progresses, Junmyeon observes all of the girls in Kappa Gamma and their love lives.

Park Sungmi infatuated with a boy from the fraternity, Kappa Pi Beta; Do Hyejin obsessed with a boy from Kappa Pi Beta; Jung Kyunghee in love with a boy from Kappa Pi Beta; Kim Yikyung, fixated on a boy from Kappa Pi Beta; and so on, so on.

And Lim Eunhee; sweet, beautiful, caring, Lim Eunhee… Completely consumed and taken by a boy named Jung Jaesung. Of course, from Kappa Pi Beta.

“Unni,” Junmyeon says one day as they’re driving back to the house from getting ice cream. “What’s the story between you and Jung Jaesung?”

Eunhee slams on the breaks and Junmyeon flies forward, nearly smashing her nose on the dashboard.

“Oh God, Junnie, I’m so sorry!” Eunhee reaches over to see if she’s okay.

Junmyeon smiles weakly and waves her hand it’s okay. “Well?”

“Well… We dated in high school, actually. For a couple years, first to third. But then he broke up with me, saying he needed some time,” Eunhee says. “It was heartbreaking for me, but eventually I got over it and I graduated and moved on. In my second year, I realized he went here and we went out for drinks with some friends, to catch up. We became very close friends and recently, he told me he’d like to try again.” Eunhee blushes. “So I decided to give him another chance.”

Junmyeon frowns but doesn’t show it, instead looking out the window. “Another chance…”

Eunhee nods, biting her lip to try and stop her smile. “I know it sounds stupid, but he’s changed, I believe it. I honestly don't think I ever got over him. Plus, that was back in highschool, years ago.” She laughs and pats Junmyeon’s arm. “Awww, little Junnie, worried about her President.”

“Well, of course!” Junmyeon whines. “You mean a lot to me!”

Eunhee smiles softly. “Thank you, Junmyeon.”

 

Fast forward two months, in February, Valentine’s Day.

The Kappa Gamma House is covered in streamers and confetti and music is blasting and drinks are spilled and dancing is done in the back yard.

Junmyeon feels nervous as she struggles to squeeze between the people crowded in the house. She had never been a partier, choosing to stay home on weekends and study or watch dramas with her cat in high school.

But here she is, holding a cup of probably-spiked juice, weaving through the crowd, trying to find something to do. She enters a room and immediately backtracks when she sees a couple nearly , all over each other. She squeaks and closes the door behind her, blushing bright red.

Then she thinks that the boy’s hair color is familiar, an auburn brown, and her brain comes up with an image of Eunhee’s boyfriend, Jung Jaesung.

Junmyeon breathes in and out and says to herself, “It’s just Eunhee in there. With Jaesung-ssi.” But she knows that Eunhee’s hair isn’t black.

And just then, she spots Eunhee in the crowd, coming towards her. She waves, giggles, and nearly topples over as she runs into Junmyeon. “Junnie!” She hiccups, and Junmyeon wrinkles her nose at the smell of beer.

“Unni, there’s something you should know.” No way can she just help keep Jaesung’s secret. “Unni, open the door.”

“Open the door?” Eunhee asks, and shrugs. She takes a moment to locate the handle, and twists it, the door creaking open. She looks in and drops her drink on the carpet. A scream rips from .

 

Junmyeon helped Eunhee go through weeks of heartbreak therapy, bringing ice cream and chick flicks up to her, whatever she wanted. She let Eunhee cry on her shoulder and voice her problems without complaint. She tried to make sure that Lim Eunhee completely forgot about Jung Jaesung.

But Jaesung comes back around and convinces Eunhee to give him another chance. And another. And another. And another, until Eunhee’s last year of university if just full of get-togethers and breakups.

It happens to the other girls in the sorority as well, heartbroken by the Kappa Pi Beta boys they had fallen for. Was it some plan by the fraternity, to wreck the love lives of all the girls in Kappa Gamma? /span>

And this is when Kim Junmyeon figures that Kappa Pi Beta boys are absolute trouble and all Kappa Pi Beta boys are the same; no matter what generation, they will not change their ways.

Weeks away from graduation, Jaesung’s last cheat fest on Eunhee has her collapsing in the parlor. She's rushed to the hospital and the doctor tells them she has had a literal heartbreak. She's weak and doesn't want to do anything anymore.

Eunhee is lifeless.

So Vice President, Park Chae-ra (unaffected by any boys), decides that from now on, Kappa Gamma and Kappa Pi Beta are sworn enemies. It's for Eunhee, because she meant the most to everyone and no one should have to go through what she did. Not be herself anymore. It's law.

Junmyeon completely agrees.

Kappa Pi Beta boys are forbidden.

But, even as VP and enforcer of the No KPB rule, she can't bring herself to rat out Zhang Yixing when she catches her and a tall, blond-haired, good looking Kappa Pi Beta a year later.