Yes, Yes, No

How to Love

When Jimin arrives at Jeongguk’s house, she's not expecting such a rowdy bunch. He has little cousins, nieces, and nephews running amok; older cousins pestering and playfully beating him around; aunts and uncles who grab his cheeks and coo at how much he's grown and how he used to be this tall; his older siblings peering at her and giving him suggestive nudges; his parents doting over him as if he was five again.

“Sorry,” Jeongguk apologizes. “It looks like my family had an impromptu reunion.”

Jimin shakes her head. “It's okay! At least your family had room for you, plus one,” she jokes.

“Your room is all ready, Gukkie,” his mother says. Jeongguk and Jimin follow, bags in tow. She lets Jeongguk unpack while showing Jimin her room.

It's small but comfortable. Jimin sets her bag on the bed and puts her toiletries in the bathroom. A knock sounds and the door opens slowly.

“Noona?” She hears Jeongguk call.

“It's fine,” she says. “You can come in.”

“I hope you'll be comfortable here,” Jeongguk says, placing an extra blanket on the foot of the bed. He fidgets nervously and Jimin smiles to herself.

“I'm sure I will be,” she replies. “Come on, I want to meet everyone.”

Jeongguk snorts. “You'll regret that.”

 

Jimin likes Jeongguk’s family. They may be loud and lively but they're kind and welcoming and Jimin appreciates it. She feels like she fits right in and is delighted when the little kids want to play with her.

Jeongguk watches from across the living room, sitting with his two cousins, Changwoo and Heojoon. He smiles as one of his little nephews climbs on her back, begging for a piggyback ride.

“You really like her, huh, Guk?” Heojoon asks.

Jeongguk hums. “Yeah.”

“How long have you been dating?” Changwoo questions.

“We're not,” Jeongguk says.

His cousins exchange glances. “You're not?” They repeat, confused. Jeongguk shakes his head. “Then why’d you bring her to your house?”

Jeongguk explains to them about his promise of enjoying the weekend together in Busan for the fall festival and how her house was full so he had offered for her to come stay with his family.

Heojoon pats his back. “You're growing up so fast, Jeon Jeongguk! You're a man now!”

“You're only two years older than me, hyung,” Jeongguk grumbles.

“So are you going to ask her out?” Changwoo asks. “If she came with you, it's pretty obvious she likes you. You like her too, so just go for it.”

“It's not that easy,” the youngest whines. “Jimin-noona… I don't know!” He groans.

His cousins laugh at him. “You're not still scared of girls are you, Guk?” Heojoon teases.

“No!” Jeongguk snaps, glaring at them.

“So go for it!” Changwoo encourages as they all watch Jimin playing with dolls with Chanmi, drink tea with Hyomin, and pull Minhyuk’s pants back up on his waist all at the same time.

Jeongguk purses his lips. “I'll think about it,” he grunts.


 

The fall festival in Busan is bustling with life. Street vendors are calling out to people, the smells of fresh street food wander along the walks, children are laughing as they play games, teenagers are in groups and surveying the areas for others, and the sounds of music burst from every speaker.

“It's been so long,” Jimin gushes, staring at the glowing lights hanging from vendor booths. “I haven't been here since middle school!”

“That long?” Jeongguk asks. He can still remember his adventures with his high school friends from last year.

“Unnie!” A small voice calls and both look over to see Chanmi kneeling over a fish pond, her cousins surrounding her. They all call for Jimin and beckon her over.

“Coming!” She replies and grabs Jeongguk’s hand, taking him over to them. Jeongguk’s elder family members watch in amusement.

Jimin plays games with the younger children, winning them prizes and consoling them when they lose themselves. Jeongguk feels a little jealous that they've gained more attention but is glad to be with Jimin. He's looking around, Taejun sitting on his shoulders while eating a meat stick, when he spots a giant stuffed puppy prize.

He has to have it for Jimin.

“Hyung!” Taejun wails as Jeongguk leaves the group and marches for the game stand.

“Keep quiet and I'll buy you a popsicle,” Jeongguk says. His young cousin says nothing more and Jeongguk puts him down and connects the leash on Taejun’s backpack to his jeans so the child doesn't wander off and get lost.

He pays the man in the booth and is given five darts to pop balloons with. Taking a deep breath, he aims and throws.

The first balloon pops. The second follows, then the third, fourth, fifth.

The man looks impressed and Taejun is staring up at his cousin in awe. “Which one, kid?” Jeongguk points to the dog and puts Taejun back on his shoulders, accepting the prize.

“Who's that for, hyung?” Taejun asks excitedly as they walk back to the group.

“Jiminnie,” Jeongguk says, approaching her from behind.

Jimin turns at the sound of her name and her eyes widen when Jeongguk holds out the stuffed dog, his face red. “Jeongguk!”

“Here,” he grunts, obviously flustered.

Jimin laughs, taking the stuffed animal from him. “Thank you, Jeonggukkie.” She pats the dog’s fluffy head. “I’ll name him Goldie.”

“But he’s brown and white,” Minhyuk complains from behind them.

 

“Finally,” Jeongguk mutters, glancing back at his family members who have taken the little ones with them to watch the fireworks by the edge of the lake. He walks side by side with Jimin, who is still holding tight to the stuffed dog.

“Where are we going?” She asks curiously.

“Here.” Jeongguk stops at a secluded area with a bench underneath a big willow tree. He sits and pats the bench so Jimin joins him.

“It’s cozy,” Jimin laughs lightly. She places the dog on her right and Jeongguk grins when it makes her sit close to him, their thighs touching. “I see you grinning, you idiot,” Jimin jokes.

Jeongguk shrugs. “My lap is open.” Jimin simply snorts and rolls her eyes in amusement.

They enjoy the silence until the fireworks start, blasting rainbows of color into the dark night sky. The fireworks light up Jimin’s face and Jeongguk turns to admire her.

“Beautiful.”

Jimin turns at the words, her cheeks burning. She had seen Jeongguk gazing out of the corner of her eye but pretended to be interested in the show before them. “Jeongguk,” she whines quietly. “You’re embarrassing.”

“It’s true.” Jeongguk takes a deep breath, gathering up his courage. He takes her hand in his and holds it tightly. “Jimin-noona, I know that Junmyeon-noona may not approve, but I like you. A lot, if that’s not obvious.” He chuckles to himself as Jimin stares at him with wide eyes. “Be my girlfriend. Please.”

Jimin feels her stomach flutter at his words. Finally.

“What?” Jeongguk tilts his head and Jimin giggles because he looks like a confused little bunny.

“You heard me. I said finally.” Jimin launches herself at Jeongguk and hugs him tightly. “Yes, yes, yes!”

“Okay,” Jeongguk laughs. “Okay.”

Jimin pulls away and looks up at him a little bashfully. “Aren’t you going to kiss me?”

Jeongguk flushes and nods quickly, nervous. “Y-Yeah, okay.” He leans in and touches Jimin’s lips lightly, eyes closing.

He doesn’t need fireworks to see the colors flying.


 

It's 12:36 AM.

Jimin has been tossing and turning for the past hour, trying to fall asleep. She's tried counting sheep, listening to music, exercising quietly, reading, all of it. Nothing worked.

She whines and digs the heels or her hands into her eyes, rubbing them. “God dammit!” Jimin slams her hands on the bed and sits up, covers herself with a blanket and gets out. She pads down the hall and stops, staring at the closed door in front of her nervously. She takes a deep breath. “Guk,” Jimin whispers, knocking quietly. “I can't sleep.”

The door opens and there stands Jeongguk, clad only in his boxers. Jimin’s eyes widen but she stares shamelessly, unaware of Jeongguk blushing under her gaze.

He clears his throat. “Do you want me to get you some milk or tea or something?”

“Uh.” Jimin tears her gaze away from his muscled body. “What?”

Jeongguk chuckles. “Do you want me to get you something?”

“No.” Jimin shakes her head. “I… I was just wondering if I could…” She trails off, staring at the floor. “Sleep with you.”

Jeongguk blinks in surprise. “Pardon?”

“Nevermind,” Jimin squeaks. “Forget it.” She turns away but a Jeongguk grabs her arm, stopping her.

“Wait,” he says, voice low and deep, making Jimin shiver. When she faces him again, his eyes are dark and she bites her lip. “I don't mind.”

Jimin’s stomach is full of butterflies as she follows Jeongguk into his room and she carefully shuts the door behind her. “Thank you,” she whispers. “Sorry for intruding, I just-” She's cut off when Jeongguk kisses her, slowly and passionately, his arms sneaking around her waist.

“Don't talk,” he growls and Jimin whines, wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. “Just let me take care of you.”

 

“So,” Jeonhoon, Jeongguk’s eldest brother, says the next morning at breakfast. “How did everyone sleep last night? Jimin? Jeongguk?”

Jimin freezes next to Jeongguk, who shoots his brother a glare. “Hyung,” he snaps.

“Let me say, not too well,” Jiyeon, their sister, laughs. “I kept hearing things go bump in the night.” All the adults snicker while the children look around curiously, shoving food into their mouths.

“Stop,” Jeongguk whines as both his and Jimin’s faces burn with embarrassment. “Noona!”

“Just keep it down next time,” his father chuckles as Mrs. Jeon swats at him. Jeongguk groans, causing everyone to chuckle in amusement, while Jimin hides her face in her hands.

“So embarrassing,” she whispers to herself.


 

-


 

“Ugh.” Junmyeon looks away from Seokjin snuggling up to Namjoon and sees Zitao and Sehun face. “Ugh.” She rolls her eyes and moves to get up. Why she was even here, she didn't know.

The rest of fall had passed quickly and winter followed rapidly, the snow falling in high piles outside. Tonight was Beta Beta’s annual Christmas party and many of the girls had begged to go, with winter break starting the next week. Junmyeon couldn't refuse them so here they were.

She goes to the bar, avoiding multiple couples in heavy make out sessions, and grabs herself a beer. “Ugh,” she mutters to herself.

“Don't look so unhappy, angel,” Jongdae says, appearing at her side.

Junmyeon avoids his stare. She hadn't spoken to him since the Halloween party weeks ago and they'd shared a few kisses. “What do you want, Jongdae?” She asks, downing half of her beer.

“Whoa, calm down!” Jongdae laughs and takes the bottle from her. Junmyeon is conscious of how warm his hand is over hers. “What's up?” Junmyeon doesn't say anything and his eyes narrow. “What is it?” He asks seriously.

“You!” Junmyeon blurts out. “Me! Us!” Jongdae stays quiet. “I mean, what am I really, Kim Jongdae? What do I mean to you?”

“Everything,” he says without hesitation.

“Is that what you told the other girl, too?” Junmyeon tries to keep her voice from cracking. She shuts her eyes, trying not to remember the girl who had been with him outside Sweet Ice before fall break. It had been so long ago, now that she’s really thought about it.

Jongdae sighs, running a hand through his hair. It's blond now, Junmyeon notices. It makes him look younger but not any less handsome. “Please, forget her, Junmyeon. That was my cousin.”

“You're just mentioning it now?” Junmyeon shrieks as Jongdae drags her outside. She shivers but says nothing about it as Jongdae unlocks his car.

“Why would I?” Jongdae snaps, his usually warm eyes flashing, and Junmyeon feels herself take a step back, snow crunching under her boots. “Why would she be important even if she wasn't my cousin? Why is anyone important?”

“It's important to care for people who care for you,” Junmyeon says quietly, teeth chattering lightly.

Jongdae notices and feels a little guilty. He pushes her into the back seat, following her, and starts the car, turning on the heater. Facing her again, he's taken aback for the nth time in his life at her beauty. Her dark hair has little snowflakes in it and her eyes shine in the moonlight. “Why don't you care for me, then?” He asks.

Junmyeon bites her lip and stares at her hands. I do, she wants to say. More than you would believe.

Jongdae sighs. “I don't understand. You hate me, you kiss me, you avoid me.” He laughs but there's no humor and Junmyeon shrinks at the sound. “Is it guilt? Pity?”

“No,” Junmyeon says in a small voice.

“Then what is it, Junmyeon? I've been chasing after you for almost two years and I love you, I really do, but I don't think I can do this anymore.”

Her breath hitches at his confession. “W-What are you saying?” Junmyeon asks, finally facing him. Her eyes are wide with fear and she realizes she may be too late.

“I'm sorry, Junmyeon, but-” Jongdae is cut off as Junmyeon leans forward and kisses him. She grabs at his coat desperately and almost cries because Jongdae kisses her back.

When they finally get a breath in, she lets out a shaky laugh. “I'm sorry,” she whispers. “I am. I… I love you.” Jongdae stares down at her in shock and Junmyeon ends up looking at her lap. “But I'm scared,” she says. “So much. I don't want to be hurt like Eunhee. I don't want to be betrayed over and over again.” She doesn't realize tears are falling down her cheeks until Jongdae wipes them away softly. “I…”

“It's okay,” Jongdae replies. “It's okay.” He drags her onto his lap so she's in his lap and kisses her. “Please, don't be afraid. I won't do that, ever, Junmyeon. I'll die before I do. Please, trust me.”

Junmyeon looks down at him. Gone is the shy boy who had followed after her like a puppy since their first meeting; in front of her now was a man who was dedicated and caring and trustworthy. She gives him a small smile and leans down to kiss him. “I trust you.”

“Good.” Jongdae has the biggest smile on his face and he wraps a hand around the back of her neck, drawing her closer.


 

-


 

Baekhyun smiles as she weaves through the crowd, holding a beer for herself and one for Chanyeol when she finds him. She spots a familiar mop of grey hair swimming above the crowd and grins even more. Pushing her way though, she comes closer and comes to see Chanyeol. Grinding himself up against another girl, hands on her waist.

No, not just some random girl. ing Kim Taeyeon.

Baekhyun squeaks and can't believe what she's seeing. "Chanyeol?"

He looks up when he hears her and his eyes widen. "B-Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun stares at the floor, feeling her eyes burn with upcoming tears. Don't cry, she tells herself. Don't cry. You'll mess up your makeup. Don't cry. So she looks up and smiles at him. "Hello, Chanyeol! Wow, what a way to commemorate our time together! Here, I got you a present!" Baekhyun flings both of her arms forward and dumps both beers over Chanyeol and Taeyeon.

Taeyeon screams before running away and the crowd doesn't move. Chanyeol stares at Baekhyun, who throws the cups at him, staring coldly, and says, "Goodbye, Park Chanyeol."

She storms out, gets in her car, and slams the door shut. She's breathing hard; her chest hurts like it's caving in on itself and her face is strewn with tears.

When Baekhyun comes back to the house, she goes the only place where she can truly find comfort. To her best friend.

"Kyungsoo!" She wails, barging into the room. "Kyungsoo!"

"What the hell-" Kyungsoo goes quiet when she sees Baekhyun's miserable state and immediately leads her to sit on the bed. "Oh, Baek, what is it?"

"P-Park Chany-yeol!" Baekhyun hiccups. "He-! He was all up on ing Taeyeon w-when I went to go find him at the party!"

Kyungsoo stands up and cracks her knuckles, murderous look on her delicate face. "That ! I'll go teach him a damn lesson! Oh, Taeyeon is such a !”

"Wait!" Baekhyun falls off the bed and latches onto Kyungsoo’s leg like a leech as she about to storm out the door. "No, please don't!"

"What the hell, Baek?"

"J-Just leave it!" Baekhyun looks up at her best friend with wide, sad eyes and Kyungsoo gives in.

She tucks Baekhyun and herself into her bed, puts on Gossip Girl on her laptop, and texts Zitao, ordering her to come home and bring a giant tub of cookie dough ice cream.

Baekhyun is sobbing by the time Zitao shows up, ice cream and spoons in hand, because Chuck went back to Blair after Bart died but then left her because he loved her, and it kills Baekhyun every time she watches it.

"Jie jie!” Zitao says, surprised. "What's wrong?"

“Chuck!” Baekhyun wails and Zitao looks at her and Kyungsoo in alarm. “ing Kim Taeyeon!”

“Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo corrects, whispering so Baekhyun doesn't hear her. The youngest her head in confusion and Kyungsoo promises to tell her later. “Baekkie.” She turns back to her best friend. “Do you want anything else?”

Baekhyun shakes her head, sniffling as she eats a giant spoonful of ice cream. “Thank you, Soo! I love you!”

Kyungsoo smiles genuinely and cuddles her, nodding to Zitao as she excuses herself.

 

“Jie jie,” Zitao says at breakfast the next morning to no one in particular. “Who's Kim Taeyeon?”

Immediately, heads at the table snap up and everyone eyes each other. Kyungsoo is thankful Baekhyun has an early morning lecture.

“Um,” Jia-Li says, glancing at Kyungsoo.

“Baekhyun’s ex-best friend,” Kyungsoo finally replies. “They went to highschool together and were really close. But then college came and Baekhyun and Taeyeon went their separate ways.”


 

Baekhyun sighs, falling onto her bed in her new dorm while Taeyeon sets up her desk. “Rush week is so tiring! I don't know how I'll actually do it when I join a sorority.”

Taeyeon hums in agreement. “It's not so bad though,” she says. “I think it'll just take some getting used to.”

“Kappa Gamma is really interesting,” Baekhyun says, flipping over and scrolling through her Facebook feed on her phone.

“Kappa Gamma?” Taeyeon wrinkles her nose in distaste. “That sorority seemed to drab and boring.” Baekhyun opens in protest but her friend carries on. “If we're talking sororities, we're talking Gamma Gamma Sigma. Now that's a damn good sorority.”

Baekhyun bites her lip to keep herself from saying anything. She didn't like Gamma Gamma Sigma. It was full of preppy, rich, conceited, selfish girls who always wanted to go shopping and cake themselves with makeup and look down on others. “I think you should do what feels best,” she says instead, a bit timidly.

Taeyeon looks over at her. Her eyes pin Baekhyun down. “You're right, Hyun. I think I will.” Taeyeon smiles and continues organizing her side of the room.

Baekhyun doesn't reply. She has goosebumps and she feels uncomfortable because Taeyeon had a sneer in her voice and a glint in her eye that makes Baekhyun scared.

 

“Are you sure you're okay?” Baekhyun asks, packing her things into boxes that she had just unpacked two weeks ago.

“Of course!” Taeyeon smiles and Baekhyun frowns, because that's not her best friend's smile. It's different now and Baekhyun doesn't like it. “We both got what we wanted!”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun nods and stops for a moment. “Tae, we're still best friends, right?”

There's a split second of hesitation before Taeyeon laughs. “Why’d you even ask that question, Baekhyun? So silly!” She playfully shoves Baekhyun before going back to pack her own boxes.

The other chuckles nervously before beginning to pack again. The moment of hesitation to her unanswered question was enough for her to know things were changing.  

Baekhyun moves into the Kappa Gamma house and Taeyeon the Gamma Gamma Sigma house the next day.

 

Baekhyun officially meets the other three first years who have joined the sorority: Do Kyungsoo, Park Jimin, and Wang Jia-Li.

Jimin and Jia-Li are loud and playful, like her, while Kyungsoo is quiet and brooding and evens them all out. It's a good group and Baekhyun likes it. She forgets about her issues with Taeyeon.

 

Lectures start. Baekhyun shares a lot of her classes with Taeyeon so they sit together. The younger tries to catch up but Taeyeon doesn't really seem to be listening; she’s either touching up her makeup or doing online shopping on her phone.  

Baekhyun feels empty inside.

 

She meets Lee Minho in her Intro to Music Comp class. He's a third year; tall, tan, handsome, with a killer smile. Baekhyun has never seen anyone so attractive.

She's outgoing and bold, so she sits next to him and manages to both flirt and take notes at the same time. To her delight, Minho flirts back and soon, he's asking for her number and then a date.

Baekhyun's so excited for her first date as a university student and her new friends help her get ready. Jia-Li is doing her hair and Jimin and Kyungsoo are debating over her outfit and while Baekhyun is extremely grateful for them, she feels like a part of her is missing.

She glances at her phone for the millionth time that evening.

She had texted Taeyeon earlier, telling her about her date with Minho and asking her what she should wear, how should she act, what she should talk about. She had hoped her best friend would say something back.

Her text was read and there was no reply.

 

Baekhyun was set to meet Minho at Lee’s, a popular and expensive restaurant at seven. She walks in, tells the host about the reservation Minho set up, and is led to her table.

It's in the middle of the restaurant, which Baekhyun finds a little strange, since Minho had said he wanted their dinner to be private, but she shrugs it off. She takes off her coat and sits, pulling out her phone to tell Minho she was here.

The waiter brings her a water with lemon and offers her a menu, but she politely declines. She should wait until Minho arrives.

She waits.

And waits.

And waits.

Seven-thirty turns into eight, which turns into eight-thirty and then into nine.

By now, the people around her are staring and have started whispering. Some snicker, some giver her pitiful looks. Baekhyun shrinks down in her seat.

She checks her phone. Her message is unread and none of her calls have been returned. She's concerned. Is Minho okay? Did he get into an accident? Did he have a situation he had to deal with? Did he...forget?

A couple is led past her and a familiar twinkling voice catches her attention. Baekhyun looks up and sees Taeyeon holding onto Minho’s arm, the two of them smiling at each other as they're led to a table in the back.

Baekhyun can only stare in shock. Her hands tremble around her water glass and it spills, wetting her dress. Quickly, she stands and dabs at it, catching the attention of everyone.

Taeyeon and Minho turn and look at her. “Oh look,” Taeyeon says mockingly, “Little Baekhyunnie had an accident.” She eyes the front of Baekhyun's dress; the stain make it look as though she had wet herself. She giggles and everyone in the restaurant follows.

Baekhyun opens to protest but nothing comes out. She can't speak. She's frozen with fear and embarrassment and hurt.

“She's mute, too,” Minho adds. “Baekhyun, are you deaf as well?” He asks loudly.

“N-No,” Baekhyun stutters. She can't keep her voice from cracking. “Minho, I thought…”

The boy sneers. “Did you really think I was serious?” He laughs coldly and Taeyeon smirks. “What are you compared to Taeyeon? You're nothing.”

Tears spill down Baekhyun's face and she hold herself, shaking. Everything becomes too much for her and she runs away, out of the restaurant. She gets into her car, sobbing.

She hated Minho. She hated Taeyeon. She hated herself.


 

Baekhyun takes a deep breath, the cold winter air filling her lungs. Her bags are packed and stowed away in her car, ready to be transported to her grandparents’ for winter break. She has said her goodbyes to her friends and made promises with Kyungsoo to meet up sometime. There's nothing more for her to do.

She's about to climb into her car when a familiar blue Mustang squeals to a stop beside her and out jumps Chanyeol, the engine still running.

“Baekhyun!”

Baekhyun frowns and tries to run away but Chanyeol catches her, both nearly slipping on the ice. “Stop!” She yells as she struggles.

“Please, let me explain!”

“Explain what?” Baekhyun cries, facing him. Her eyes are filled with unshed tears and Chanyeol freezes at the sight. “I saw what was going on!”

“I thought it was you.”

“You thought it was me?” Baekhyun shrieks, angered further. “That looks nothing like me! God, it's like my first year all over again!”

Chanyeol flinches, realizing that was the wrong thing to say. “Baekhyun-”

“After last year, I didn't think I could really trust any guy ever again,” Baekhyun ignores him. “But then I met you and I thought to myself, what a great guy.” She shakes her head. “Now I can see how much of a fool I am!”

“What are you talking about? Baekhyun, please-!” Chanyeol is shoved away and all he can do is watch Baekhyun drive away, taking his heart with her.