Kappa Gamma's New Pledge

How to Love

Kim Junmyeon was about to cry. It was her first year as Chapter President of Kappa Gamma and Rush Week was too stressful for her.

"How did Chae-ra do this for last year?" Junmyeon moaned into Kim Minseok's shoulder.

Her best friend patted Junmyeon's caramel brown hair softly. "Remember Chae-ra got just as stressed. It's okay, Jun, you only have to do it twice. And besides, Rush Week is almost over."

Junmyeon looks up. Her pretty brown eyes hold tears that are about to spill over. "Why didn't they have you be Chapter President this year?" She asks in a strangled voice.

Minseok laughs. "The obvious answer was you, not me. Besides, I'm still your Membership Development VP."

Junmyeon moans again and is pulled away when a small hand grabs the neck of her pink blouse and nearly strangles her.

"Yah, Junmyeon, stop crying," Do Kyungsoo huffs.

"Sorry," Junmyeon sniffs. "Are we ready for our last day?"

"Yes." Minseok smiles encouragingly at her.

Junmyeon takes a deep breath and nods. "Girls!" She shouts, and they hear giggling and the pitter-patter of feet coming down the stairs.

"Jun, are you finally done crying?" A short girl with black liner circling her eyes asks smugly.

Her neighbor smacks her. "Baekhyun," she chides softly.

"Be quiet, you ," Kyungsoo sneers to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun screeches and tries to leap at Kyungsoo, barely held back by a struggling Zhang Yixing.

Junmyeon feels her lower lip wobble and tears start to well in her eyes. She can't do this.

Minseok sees this and claps twice, exasperated. The room silences and all turn to look at the two.

It takes three seconds for everyone to gather around an about-to-sob Junmyeon and apologies to spill out.

As Kim Seokjin is handing her tissues and Yixing is cooing " Chu, chu~ " in her ear, Junmyeon smiles at her sorority, wipes her face, and manages out, "Open the doors."

Baekhyun does and a line of pledge girls is waiting. They all smile and bow and wave and Kappa Gamma invites them in for the final day of Rush Week.

 

-

 

Huang Zitao is currently being interviewed by an energetic, loud second year by the name of Wang Jia-Li and she's enjoying it.

Here she is, ripped jeans and t-shirts and Converse ditched for dark skinny jeans, a pretty white tank, and white wedges (all courtesy of her happy mother).

"So, how do like Kappa Gamma so far?" Jia-Li asks, smile wide on her face. They're sitting in a small room with lavish seating and cute interior decorations (when Zitao had commented on it, Jia-Li said it was thanks to Kappa Gamma's Chapter President).

"I like it," Zitao admitted, wiping her palms on her jeans nervously. "I like the atmosphere here and I really like the campus as well and where the house is situated."

"Why do you want to join Kappa Gamma?"

"It sounded a lot better than a lot of the other sororities to be honest," Zitao replied. "Gamma Gamma Sigma sounded like a bunch of rich brats who spend money all day."

Jia-Li laughs and says she's agrees.

After a couple more questions, the two stand and Jia-Li smiles at Zitao. "I really hope you decide on us."

"I really hope you decide on me," Zitao responds and smiles back, feeling a little more comfortable.

Jia-Li laughs again and hands her off to a pretty girl with long dark purple-dyed hair and kohl-rimmed eyes that Zitao feels a little jealous of.

"Hi, I'm Byun Baekhyun," she chirps and extends her perfectly manicured hand.

"Huang Zitao. I-"

Baekhyun looks at her curiously.

"I really like your makeup, meimei ," Zitao blurts out and then feels like blowing up in embarrassment.

Her interviewer laughs and thanks her and gradually Zitao starts to become more comfortable as harmless questions are asked, until "What cup size do you like in other girls?", which Zitao realizes isn't even part of the subject and probably isn't even a correct question (right...?).

Another short girl with long black hair and large doe eyes and a nasty sneer on her face smacks Baekhyun's head as she passes by. "Don't ask that!"

"Um, I'm not into girls..." Zitao trails off hesitantly.

Baekhyun cackles. "Oh I'm not either, but that doesn't mean you can't be interested in sizes."

"Get back on subject, Byun, or Minseok will have your ," the other girls growls.

"Yah, I'm your unni, you brat!" Baekhyun screams after the other. She turns back to Zitao and smiles. "Sorry, where were we?"


 

-

 

All of Kappa Gamma is seated on the floor of the main parlor (except Junmyeon, seated in a cushy chair in apology for the fights this morning), looking at the girls to choose from.

Park Jimin holds up a sheet. "Hong Ja Yoon."

"She didn't actually seem too interested about Kappa Gamma," Jia-Li says.

Seokjin nods. "I saw her Gamma Gamma Sigma bag."

"Like they'll take her," Baekhyun states, rolling her eyes. "What a hoe."

Minseok slaps her for being mean.

Jimin nods and puts the sheet in the "NO" pile.

Yixing holds up Huang Zitao's sheet. "I liked her," she says. "She was cool."

"Xing thinks everyone is cool," Jimin says.

"Xing thinks Kris Wu of Kappa Pi Beta is really cool ," Baekhyun laughs, and then slaps her hand over .

Yixing squeaks. The girls go silent and Junmyeon looks at her. “What?”

“Nothing! I was joking, Jun!” Baekhyun says hurriedly. “You know Yixing loves everyone.”

Junmyeon looks suspicious, but leaves it alone. Baekhyun shoots Yixing an apologetic look.

"Who wants tea?" Minseok breaks in.

"Me!" Comes the chorus and Seokjin stands to help.

"Back to business." Junmyeon claps her hands. "Huang Zitao."

"Yes. I think that she'll be good. She seems kind of awkward and very shy but I think she'll like it here," Jia-Li informs.

"She liked my makeup, so I like her," Baekhyun adds.

"Okay, go ahead," Junmyeon gives the order and Huang Zitao's sheet is added to the "YES" pile. The first.

"Moving on," Baekhyun holds another sheet. "Cha Minjeong."


-

 

Huang Zitao wakes to a text at 4 AM two days later. Welcome to Kappa Gamma, Huang Zitao. A smile breaks across her face.