I Don't Even Want to Try

How to Love

Junmyeon has never told anyone she knows about Yixing and Kris, but she knows that many of the younger girls do know.

Zitao stares at her in shock. “I…” she trails off.

Junmyeon shrugs. “It's not like it was your fault, it was two years ago. But the moral of the story is, avoid all Kappa Pi Beta boys, because they never change.”

Zitao thinks about Sehun. He doesn't seem like the type of boy to do that. She voices this to Junmyeon, who frowns and narrows her eyes at the youngest.

“Huang Zitao. I said all boys are the same,” Junmyeon grits out between clenched teeth. Zit ago bows her head, cheeks flushed.

“I'm sorry,” she whispers, “but I can't stop seeing Sehun.” And with that said, she rushes up to her room, slamming the door behind her.

Junmyeon stares after her in shock and anger, clenching her hands into fists.

“Jun, you need to give her a chance,” Yixing says, placing a hand over hers. “Please, it's been three years. Those who hurt are now gone, they can't influence anyone here.”

The elder looks up at her. “And what are you going to do if Kris hurts you?”


 

-


 

Zitao tries to fight back her tears as she lies in her bed. She's being such a dramatic, cliche teenage girl, but she can't help it. A knock sounds on her door and Baekhyun’s voice filters through.

“Taozi? Can I come in?” She calls.

Zitao lets out a squeak and Baekhyun walks in and sits in her bed. “Oh, Taozi.”

The younger sits up and rubs at her eyes, smearing her makeup all over her face. “Who is she to tell me who I can date or not? Is this elementary school or something?” She sobs. “Sure, she's President, but she doesn't run my life .”

“Zitao, calm down.” Baekhyun glances nervously at the door. “Tao, please. Everything will be okay, we’ll figure something out. I promise.”

Zitao sniffles. “Promise.”

Baekhyun smiles and smooths the blond hair on Zitao’s head, but wonders what she's going to have to do to get Junmyeon to let the whole issue go.


 

-


 

“Um, how exactly are we going to get into the House? Because as far as I remember, the door was still locked when we came home, so I have no idea how they got in,” Namjoon says as he sits at the table with the rest of the frat to discuss their sabotage plans.

Chanyeol frowns. “How did they get in then?”

Sehun smiles meekly. “Uh, I think I might’ve accidently left the backdoor unlocked that day.”

Luhan scowls and smacks the younger’s head. “You idiot. You should always lock the doors.”

“Sorry.” Sehun looks down at the table.

“Well, I can bet you that they don't leave their doors unlocked,” Luhan says.

“Should we break in then?” Jongdae pipes up. “You know, windows are breakable. And glass doors.”

Kris shoots him a withering look. “Then have to pay the consequences? I can guarantee that if we did that, Junmyeon would tie us up and make us watch as she had a wrecking ball destroy the house, so no thank you, Jongdae.”

Jongdae shrugs and grins his kittenish smile.

“Steal your girlfriend's key,” Mark says suddenly.

“What?” Kris squawks, looking at his best friend in shock. “Steal her key?”

Luhan nods vigorously. “Yeah, great idea!”

The President looks at his fraternity, watching him with expectant eyes.  “Okay, I'll try,” he sighs finally, and Luhan claps with glee. “But if she catches me, I'm going to blame it all on you.”


 

-


 

Zitao's phone buzzes from beside her and she looks at the screen, squinting her eyes. Sehun is calling her.

Baekhyun looks over. “Sehunnie? I'll give you some privacy then.” She smiles and goes to her own room, closing the door behind her, but Zitao can still hear the sounds of Junmyeon's screaming from downstairs.

“Hello?” She says quietly, picking up.

“Tao! So-! Hey, what's wrong?” He asks, sounding concerned.

“N-Nothing!” Zitao exclaims immediately.

Sehun snorts. “Yeah, okay. Hey, want to go get some ice cream?”

“Now?” Zitao glances at her bedside clock. It's 8:42. “Sure.”

“Alright, I'll pick you up in ten then?”

“Okay,” Zitao whispers, and hangs up. She glances at the door. It's silent. “I’m not doing anything wrong.”

 

Sehun picks her up ten minutes later and after she buckles up, he grabs her hand and holds it tightly as he pulls out onto the street to the campus ice cream place.

Zitao smiles and looks out the window as they drive along.

When they reach Sweet Ice, Sehun pulls into a parking space and parks, dashes out and opens Zitao's door for her before she can even reach for the door handle. He smiles at her as he waits for her to exit and Zitao feels the blood rushing to her face. “T-Thanks,” she stutters and nearly trips when Sehun grabs her hand, dragging her inside.

He orders rainbow cake and she strawberry, and when they're comfortably situated in a small table in a corner, Zitao musters up the courage to ask, “Sehun-ah.”

“Yeah?” He looks at her curiously. “What… what are we?” Zitao asks in a hushed tone.

Sehun frowns. “I thought we were dating.” Then he flushes, embarrassed. “W-Were we not…?” He squeaks.

“I-I didnt know!” Zitao says quickly. “I-I-I! Sorry!”

Sehun laughs, looking sheepish. He leans forward and takes Zitao's hands in his, lacing their fingers together and kisses the tips of her fingers, sending Zitao into a blushing fit. He grins at her. “Then lets be together, yeah?”

“O-Okay,” she whispers, and follows his lead of leaning in, closing her eyes, and smiling into the kiss.


 

-


 

Yixing stares down at Junmyeon in horror. “Y-You knew.”

“Of course I knew,” the other hisses, ignoring the others as they quickly shuffle out of the parlor. I've known for a long time.”

“Why didn't you tell me?” Yixing whispers. “You made me keep it a secret. You made me feel like I was betraying you. You-”

 didn't make you do anything!” Junmyeon shrieks. “ You kept it a secret! You betrayed Eunhee! It’s you, Xing, not me. But you know, you have everything to thank me for for the last year, because I kept your secret when no one else would!”

“Junmyeon-” Yixing starts, tears welling in her eyes, but Junmyeon continues on.

“No one would've understood last year. The seniors would look down on you, but I kept it to myself.” She walks to the front door, defeated look on her face. “I couldn't do it even if I wanted to. I couldn't tell anyone.”

Yixing starts to cry. “Jun, please, don't leave!”

But Junmyeon is already gone.