Chapter 7

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

First Kisses linger

In good memories

Even if they were given

Under soft promises

That led no where

~*~

Chapter Seven

~.~

It was impossible not to start chuckling when Jin failed rather dramatically to catch hold of a single golden token from a very silly little fishing game that was clearly rigged and Himchan wasn’t laughing because Jin had failed. In fact, he was laughing because the man pulled such an adorable expression that was a mixture of frustration, anger and disbelief that he had not gotten the little token and would therefore win only a small insignificant bag filled with a sweet smelling seeds which was probably meant for some lady’s undergarments draw.

Jin playfully glared at Himchan, trying to hide his own laughter in as the sound coming from his little Butterfly was really infectious, “Are you mocking me?”

“No, not in the slightest,” Himchan tried his best to remember his lessons and speak politely but he just couldn’t manage it right now, “I just think your expression is adorable Jin-sii. I honestly do not mind the small gift; it is enough that you are prepared to put up with me.”

Jin pouted more at that statement, “You are not someone to be just put up with Himchan, not in the slightest.”

Casting his dark eyes over to the golden necklace with the flower pendants hanging beautifully from it, Jin felt an urge to dig back into his dwindling purse to pay the vendor for another try in order to get the token. He had no real idea as to why he wanted the damn thing so badly when he knew for a fact that he could just go to the local jewellers tomorrow and make a proper one that wouldn’t be guilt and some very carefully selected glass beads but just the thought of being able to make Himchan’s entire face light up with that captivating smile of his for something so simple made him want to win this simple token.

Not that he hadn’t already won the boy a lot of things already, Jin was a little bit ashamed to admit that he was completely smitten with the darling little Butterfly and had done everything possible to just make him smile or else have a positive reaction from the boy. He really was completely perfect and so enchanting in so many ways, and Jin was a little bit jealous that the man who would be able to capture this little Butterfly all for himself.

Himchan stared at Jin in shock, flushing a bright red in the most adorably cute way possible and hanging his head low, “You don’t need to be so polite to me, Jin-sii.”

Jin shook his head as he handed his money over again with a grim determination set in his expression, “What will it take for me to get you to believe that you are completely worth every last second of my time, Himchan-nim?” Taking hold of the little fishing rod Jin moved to try and reach down for the golden fish tag that he knew would win the prize but he smiled all the same, “Believe me, it is rare that I even come to this event let alone engage in a passing conversation with a bride so for me to be escorting you around is…man!”

The hook had once again latched onto one of the numerous orange fish tags but this one at least won a soft cuddly toy which he immediately passed over to a giggling Himchan who offered his hand towards Jin before he could attempt to win the necklace once again. “If you’re supposed to be escorting me, why don’t we go and find some more interesting things to do? I can’t have you wasting all this money on me like this. It wouldn’t be right.”

Feeling himself melt at the request, Jin eagerly latched onto the hand and easily fell into step besides Himchan as they headed further in the Butterfly Ball, passing stalls and entertainments with ease and grace that would make the unobservant think that they were an established couple on an evening out. It wasn’t hard to spot the jealous eyes that lingered on the pair, from the curious to the downright outraged everything was next to perfect in Key’s eyes as he followed at a sedate pace besides Jonghyun and he couldn’t help but smile. This was definitely a job well done and they hadn’t reached the cherry on the top yet.

“Always so sure of yourself, aren’t you my love?” Jonghyun said with a faint smile verging on the status of a smug grin.

Key smugly smiled back, “Only because I usually am always so sure of myself.”

“Himchan-oppa!” Ren called, pulling away from the man who was currently escorting him to latch his arms tightly onto the other, “Oh my, I nearly did not recognise you there.”

Himchan smiled, “Good evening Ren-sii, are you having fun?”

“Yes, Baekho is taking great care of me,” Ren smiled brightly, waving the man over, “But I am so glad you came. You look truly wonderful. All the girls back home would be so jealous of your looks.”

Ducking his head low, Himchan shook his head, “They would be jealous of you and Minho, Ren, but thank you for the compliment.”

Ren rolled his eyes and turned to Beakho, “Tell him that he’s beautiful.”

The man blinked his eyes, tilting his head a little like a tiger cub would do, “Excuse me?”

“I saw you looking,” Ren teased the other with a grin, “Tell him that he looks beautiful and enchanting and all the rest of the words that you want to say to him.”

“But won’t that make you jealous?” Baekho asked, trying not to get too confused.

Thankfully Jin chuckled and looped his arm around Himchan, “All men are free to look and compliment the many butterflies that are out tonight as long as they remember whom will be on their arms on the way home. You are right Ren, Himchan is indeed beautiful and charming, though he will not believe the words from anyone it would seem. You are certainly shining very brightly yourself though I would suggest just one little thing.”

Without saying a word and with just the hint of a smile on his face, Jin reached across to the corner of Ren’s hanbok and moved the collar up a little higher than it should do. He smiled politely, “Make sure your lover doesn’t leave too many visible marks until he claims you at the festival at the end of the year,” he whispered conspiratorially so both Ren and Baekho could hear and then chuckled as he set off with Himchan at a quick speed so that they would not have to listen to the playful lovers quarrel over leaving a visible hickie on the youngers neck.

Himchan had flushed completely red at the idea of Ren losing his innocence that way and basically allowed Jin to lead him to a quiet bench near to the large ornate fountains where a display of fireworks and lanterns was due to take place within the next hour. He tried so desperately not to talk about the subject, dodging it at every possible turn that he could do but Jin only found it far more endearing and it was much more fun to tease the younger about it.

When the fireworks were lit and filled the black sky with a thousand bright colours, Himchan thought that he would be distracted and not have to explain any further reasons as to why he as so flustered about the idea of Ren getting a hickie. However, despite the colours and dazzling displays, Himchan found himself distracted away completely from the fireworks as soft fingers gently touched the back of his neck and instinct made him turn towards Jin. A soft smile graced his lips before the man leaned forward to place his own kiss upon Himchan’s smooth, al lips to claim the kiss which he had wanted to do within the first few minutes of knowing the other.

He pulled back after a moment, glad to find that the beautifully made up boy looked to be just as flustered and innocent as he thought he was but there was a glimmer in Himchan’s eyes that was delightfully unexpected. Himchan leaned forward unconsciously but before he could utter a single syllable to ask the question he wanted to ask, Jin had leaned forward to reclaim his lips in a smooth, gentle series of kisses that did not progress much further than that but to the young carrier from the orphanage in some forgotten backwater town were the most important kisses in the entire world at that very second.

~*~

It was after two in the morning when Himchan finally returned to the main house, Jin having personally escorted him back after fulfilling his promise and presenting Himchan with a hair pendant that whilst small and delicate, was probably worth more than half the district of Brides combined. It was a silver stick with an ornate design of flowers set with emeralds and rubies that blossomed up to a series of five individual flowers that were cast from solid gold and silver with a platinum central dot. Cascading down were fine wires of gold that held small squares of various precious metals and stones and a single white butterfly finished off the pin which was a brand new addition courtesy of Jin.

He smiled towards Himchan as they arrived at the door of the house, “Thank you for this evening, my little butterfly, I shall cherish it well.”

“No I should thank you,” Himchan said, feeling a little sad at the notion that he would probably not be seeing Jin again for quite some time but also feeling like he had been truly blessed with a special friendship, “I don’t know what I would have done otherwise.”

“Have faith in yourself, Himchan,” Jin said, leaning forward to steal a quick kiss as the door to the house was opened and Key arrived with a knowing smirk on his face, “But I bid you good night for now.”

“Jin Akanishi, give me back my gift and don’t make too much of a fuss about it either,” Key said, glaring towards the other who pouted.

“Must you always be so mean to be Madam Key?” was the simple reply as the daisy hairpin was passed back across, “Though why you keep that meaningless little trinket I do not know. Many would have thrown it away by now.”

Key looked down at the hairpin with a smile on his face, “Yes, but you never forget the first gift that you receive from a handsome stranger. Especially a certain young man with nothing more valuable than this pin which would have fed him for a week if he had sold it instead of giving it away.”

Smiling, Jin looked like he was going to say something a little more but instead bowed politely at Jonghyun who turned and sent a final farewell kiss towards Himchan before turning and heading back to his own home. Key smiled and was swift to grab hold of Himchan’s hand to guide him into the house and carefully took the box which held the hairpin.

“Jonghyun, place this in the safe for Himchan and make sure that he has it when he leaves for the Capital next year, then go and make sure that Ren is actually asleep now and is not trying to cover his hickie anymore because I swear that boy is going to rub his skin red raw otherwise,” despite the late hour, Key was still fully in control it seemed as he turned to Himchan, “And as for you, my clean little stop out, you are not going to bed like that at all. You are having a bath and getting changed and then you can spend the rest of tomorrow fast asleep if you like.”

“But,” Himchan managed to finally get his voice working as he was dragged along to the bath by his mentor, “Are you not mad at me?”

Key laughed, “What? Over a hairpin that is worth pennies? Himchan, if I had been half as successful as you have just been when I first came here I would not be here any longer. Do you have any idea the value of that hairpin? Only ladies of the richest families in the world could ever dream of beginning to afford that pin Jin-sii has gifted you for the price of a couple of hundred kisses. You mark my words boy, you are going to go far in this world, so far in fact that you might even reach the shining stars above us and continue straight on till morning.”

For a few seconds Himchan thought that Key was being a bit overly dramatic but he was suddenly hit by a wave of extreme tiredness and just opted to let himself go with the flow. After all he did not have a clue what the future held for him and he could only hope that he matched up to half way of his mentor’s expectations. For now, though, he would allow himself to be washed and then simply rest as he was sure that there was a lot more adventures to come his way.

 

 

authors babbling: gah sorry about the long update but life went bloody hectic and I've only just got myself around to sorting out actually updating fanfiction on any level so this is a start. It's not the best chapter in the world, even I admit that but it was a little bit of self indulgance. Next chapter or two will switch persecptives for a little but it'll all be in for a good reason and then we can start with the love triangle drama and all the schenagians that causes. 

hope you enjoy regardless peeps and catch you hopefully a little bit quicker