Chapter 3

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

Lies, treason and deceit

An unfortunate by-product

Of living a life where

The rules don’t always apply

~*~

Chapter Three

~.~

The castle grounds were as beautiful and stunning as they had ever been, the soft flowers growing against the harsh black marble walls seeming to make for a beautiful balance between the reputed glory of the EXO planet and the harsh bitter reality of it. The place that at first glance was a beautiful carved gem with beautiful plants, exotic creatures and a society that operated perfectly with no arguments that worked perfectly as a common ground where everyone had a right to an opinion and could express it without fear of rejection or chastising.

The truth however, was that the planet was under a tight regime where everyone had to follow and obey the correct code of conduct and no trespass was allowed.

Prince Zico of Matoki had always had a bitter feeling about this planet, he never really trusted the Governor though he had naturally had many dealings with him over the years. There was just something so...unreal about him that set Zico on edge and made him very wary of dealing with him no matter what the cause. He had shared his concerns to his father on many a return trip only to ever receive the exact same advice back, “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”

Until that day, Zico had never fully understood the term but now as he approached the rather ornately decorated silver doors of the planet he realised that it meant the best way to keep your enemies in check was to make them believe that they were your allies. Casting his dark eyes straight ahead, Zico tried not to glance back towards the ‘Prisoner’ that was being guided between two guards who were making sure that the man did not trip or fall because he at least deserved that much dignity in being forced to return to a place that he wanted to escape from. Zico wished that he did not have to go back on his promise, that he had not been so naively foolish to think that EXO wouldn’t miss one of their Princes. In his mind he had thought that it would be one less to fight over the crown because he didn’t realise the vast difference between the two worlds when it came to power.

The Exoian Princes were not next in line to rule, like himself and his brothers, they were people gifted with special abilities and powers that were used as weapons to defend the whole planet.

He had been a fool in offering assistance to one of the Princes who wanted to escape and now to see the look of bitter disappointment and betrayal reflected in those dark eyes made him question if he was really following the path in life that he was supposed to. Then he remembered the clear warning that had been delivered to them earlier that night, if the Prince was not returned then EXO would send out the warships and leave no man, woman or child alive until they had claimed back what was rightfully theirs. Zico could not allow that blood to stain his hand and the last thing he wanted was to see his home planet torn apart by war. So as much as it pained him, made him want to renounce his title and disappear into the woods to live a much simpler life than this, the Crown Prince had betrayed his newest ally and brought him back to EXO as a prisoner.

Part of him wanted to apologise to the other, to find a moment to explain what was going on because surely he would then understand and wouldn’t stare at him with those hatreds filled eyes but there had been no time or opportunity to do so. Plus, he had been aware of the carefully watching eyes throughout the long journey to this wretched planet and knew that spies were afoot. Whilst no one would dare to try to attack him outright, as that really would be considered to be an act of war, there were plenty of little birds waiting to catch a momentary weakness that they could send back to their masters and use against him and his brothers.

As much as he despised the system here on EXO, he had to admit that there were advantages as he was sure that he would not have to be constantly watching his back to ensure that no one was standing there with a dagger poised to take him or any of his brothers out. Zico wanted nothing more than to protect them all, as even though he was the crown prince, if he fell then they would be the next targets for those who wanted to usurp the family and gain the powers and he couldn’t allow that. His brothers were his life, he had watched over them from the day that he was born and even if he had been distant and cold of late as his position came more into play, Zico still loved them all greatly.

Yet another reason why he had to betray his new friend, the pain in his heart was beginning to eat away at him with such extreme guilt that he was sure that it was going to break him.

Thankfully he was distracted from the high temptation to turn towards the other Prince to apologise yet again when the ornate doors to the palace opened to reveal an almost too grand reception room which was starkly white and virtually all of the ornaments and decorations were made out of clear crystal and glass that sparkled. Zico had heard that this grand room changed appearance depending on which Prince was remaining in the Castle as the guard and figured that this had to be the work of the Light Prince.

Curious dark eyes flicked towards the blond haired man that was still between the guards just to see what the reaction was and he felt his heart constrict even more when he saw that the fire of fight had gone out of him. He looked very much like a broken man and had clearly stopped trying to resist his fate. Zico wanted to reach out again but this time was stopped not by devotion or duty but by several pairs of curious eyes that were peering around the corners of some of the pillars. It took only the work of someone who had been trained in spotting hidden people to actually see them and as Zico cast his eyes around the rest of the room he spotted more figures hidden around. He counted ten in total, each and every one of them hiding behind a pillar, under a bench, in a hidden servant corridor, or else secluded away so that no one else would see them. It caused a smile to cross his face, because their eyes reflected so many emotions upon seeing their missing brother.

They were cross and probably had more than a few choice words to say to him, but they were also filled with relief, hope and love that he was back at their sides. There was also fear, they knew that the man standing next to them was going to be punished in some form but they were going to be there in order to help him. To bring him back from whatever would be done for him and he got the sensation that there was a very quiet stirring of rebellion in all of them at that moment in time.

Quickly noting that the Governor was busy berating some lower official who had an entourage that was almost double the number that Zico came with despite the fact that he was nothing more than a lowly district councillor, the Prince of Mato broke rank for a few precious seconds and stepped towards Yifan because he had to at least attempt to make amends in some small way.

“They’re waiting for you,” he whispered towards the other, after lightly tapping the resting hand, “All of your brothers.”

Hard eyes glared at him in silent threats and Zico made a glance to the left where he could see possibly one of the younger princes crouching down behind a pillar which had a table and a single blue coloured rose in a crystal vase sitting in front of it. It took a further two slight indications from Zico to get Yifan to look towards the same place and it was very hard to hide the smile that wanted to break across his face as the tall Exoian finally spotted the boy with only the slightest widening of his eyes to indicate any form of surprise.

Zico quickly stepped back, assuming his cold and Prince like demeanour for dealing with the Governor and the Prince of Light. He was surprised to see a cold, hard set expression on the Prince’s face, boring dark eyes straight towards his brother with seeming hate but Zico could only figure that the brown haired, rather puppy looking boy was wearing a mask to save his own skin just like he was.

The Governor dismissed the lower official with a final barked command in the Exoian language which Zico did not quite catch before the snake like black eyes finally fell on himself and Yifan. “Ah, Prince Zico of Matoki, it is an honour to see you here in our halls.”

Biting back the thought that the old, squat man was talking a load of rubbish, Zico nodded his head in respect towards the other leader, “It is an honour to be received though I am afraid that my stay here will be cut short as there are matters of estate to deal with back home which I’m sure that you’ll understand and respect.”

“Ah, the Brides of Mato are well known even to us,” the Governor said in a sickly sweet voice which was probably meant to be respectful but came off as sleazy and downright creepy, “I take it that you have become of age to claim one or two for yourself.”

Zico really wanted to sigh but he kept himself in check, “That I have and my desire to return to Mato is pressing because of that fact. Do forgive me for turning down your polite offer of remaining for the feast tonight, but I am here purely for business purposes.”

The Governor nodded, glancing towards Yifan with a look that many would have thought to be relief and welcome but was in fact completely laced with disgust, distrust and a murderous intent to cause the most painful harm to the other once he was gone. Zico knew fine well that the ‘celebratory feast’ that he had been invited to was merely to save face and make it appear that Yifan had been stolen away rather than attempting to escape himself and he felt pity for the boy because he was sure to be punished severely for his actions. Especially now that Zico was not remaining, whatever the Governor had planned would last longer probably and that only added to his growing guilt over the situation.

“Ah yes, the return of the Prince of Flight,” came the sickly toned words once again, “I do hope that he caused you no trouble and I thank you for returning him to us. We have all been highly worried about him since he was wrongfully taken.”

The bile was in Zico’s throat already though he kept a straight face, “I understand that worry and now he is returned to you,” he pretended not to notice the fact that two guards draped in black moved to Yifan and grabbed him so roughly that the boy stumbled as he was clearly shaking in fear, “With my father’s kindest regards and apologise for the wrongful capture.”

“All is forgotten,” the Governor said, watching as Yifan was led away from the throne room with a sick smile on his features. Zico chanced a quick glance around, noting that the other ten hidden princes had quickly disappeared from view and were probably trying to work out a plot to get to see Yifan before he was officially returned to them after whatever ordeal he was put through. A quick glance up towards the Prince of Light made the Prince of Mato’s heart break as he could see the despair in the solid expression as well as the slight tremor that was starting in the boys clasped hands.

He could only fear for Yifan’s life now, he was no longer part of it and would probably never receive the chance to make up for his hideous deception. He was a monster in doing this and Zico knew that there was little to no way back.

After exchanging a few more forced pleasantries with the Governor, Zico was glad to receive Jung Daehyun back as his Wardship had ended and it was part of the deal for the exchange of Prince Yifan.

With a final gracious bow, Zico left the cold, empty feeling castle and made straight for the waiting ships because he could not stand to spend another moment on this cold, godforsaken planet. His eyes were cast down as the honour guard protected him and Daehyun and for once Zico wished that he could just speak to someone plainly because he was sick of having to live a pretend life of high and mighty tyrannies which came to be expected of him just because he happened to be a Prince.

Still as his eyes reached the main dock, he smiled a little and felt some of the gloom lift from his shoulders. Waiting for him and the rest to the return was one of Mato’s finest General’s, Bang Yongguk and in comparison to the Exoian guard he cut an impressive figure. Even at just a little over average height, Yongguk had a firmly set jawline, striking cheekbones and piercing dark eyes that made him intimidating without having even to open his mouth. He was a power house within the army, young and quick thinking with a sharp mind, good reflexes and an ability to think outside of the simplistic matters that plagued most General’s when setting up battle plans.

He was dressed in a uniform that had clearly seen better days but he pulled it off perfectly as he was a field General, who stood side by side with his men and was cut, scared and wore them all with pride. Many said that he was a man who could contend for the right to the throne without trying and Zico would never like to get on the bad side of him if he could help it. But he also couldn’t quite make the other his friend even though he was sure that it would have been a wise move.

He nodded towards the General, smirking playfully, “I believe this gentleman belongs with you.” He indicated Jung Daehyun with a smile, knowing already that they were cousins who had grown up as brothers and Zico made to enter the ship so that he could give the order to return home and not have to worry about anything.

But suddenly there was a young girl, dressed in quite plain clothes rushing up towards him and before anyone could stop her she had reached him, her yellow slit like eyes open wide to show that she was one of the many dragon children who was loyal to Yifan alone. Her cold hand reached out to grab Zico’s hand and a feeling of static shot through the boy’s hand. “A final gift for you,” the girl stated in perfect Matokian, “only true truth shall you see and it will destroy you.”

Yongguk went to grab the girl but she was darting away and was gone before anyone had a chance to catch hold of her and the General sighed in frustration. “Did she hurt you, my lord?”

“No,” Zico said, turning his head away and walking into the ship, “She merely gave me a message from her Prince. I wish to return home and forget this whole affair.”

Yongguk bowed and allowed Zico to enter the ship, followed by his honour guard before following behind after guiding Daehyun on board. “I’ve prepared quarters for you, go and freshen up and I shall expect you in my personal dining room at nine o’clock ship time.”

Daehyun nodded his head, trying to hide his smile because he knew what Yongguk was up to and he couldn’t wait to embrace his brother properly and talk over everything that they had missed together. 

 

authors babbling: triple update tonight but gotta chat on the end of each of my chapters, so yes, Zico basically promised Yifan his freedom and ended up having to give him back against his wishes though he could never say. Would anyone outta curiosity be interested in an Exoian prequal or shall I leave that alone? 

Keep on reading for the next chapter update