Chapter 2

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

The world is huge

Filled with treasures and wonder

Don’t fall into the trap of being

Blinded by beauty

Else you’ll lose yourself

~*~

Chapter Two

~.~

Himchan had been very aware of the fact that there was far more to the world than what was held within his little ramshackle village which purported itself to be of some major significance but he had not expected anything like this. Of course he had heard many tales about the town of the Brides, Huinsaehkkoch, but they all seemed to pale in comparison to actually seeing it. It was almost impossible for him to think that just three days’ coach ride away from the place he had grown up in with its stone houses and wooden storage areas was a town that seemed to stretch endlessly. There were hundreds of different houses, some built of stone, others of the finest wood and others were built in styles that the little lost village boy had no idea of what they were.

The streets were pathed with cobbles and large stone flags that made it easier for the horses and carts to move along, trees and plants grew on every corner and there were exotic smells rising up in the air all around them. People hurried to and fro, carrying all sorts of different merchandise and they all seemed so incredibly different from one another. Not two people wore the same and Himchan felt completely and totally overwhelmed by it all.

It was a far cry from the simple life that he had just left behind and for a moment he felt completely out of his depth and wondered if his choosing had really been made correctly. However, before his thoughts could become too dark, he remembered the looks upon the faces of the towns elders as they came to the realisation that he would be leaving them and hearing their stuttered protests which were easily silenced by the Mariana who would not take their cruel words lightly at her choices.

Minhyun and Ren were captivated by the colours of the town and it wasn’t hard to fall into the same excitement levels as they were an infectious pair indeed. They babbled on, pointing to things that caught their attention, asking questions without waiting for answers and just seemed to be completely in awe of everything. Himchan couldn’t help but think that they were just adorable and he prayed that the husbands they found would be strong and caring to them. The carriage they were in turned off the main stretch and into more quiet streets that were lined with fine looking houses and each one was walled off from the world as if to protect the occupants from view.

The coach came to a stop as one of the gateways opened and curiosity the three boys leaned around the windows in an attempt to see what had caused them to stop. It turned out to be woman, dressed in the most exotic and colourful hanbok that any of them had ever seen as it was a deep blue with silver detailing and a pink sash that came down in a heavily embroided frontal passage. The woman’s face was painted with fine makeup, highlighting her strong features and making her dark eyes sparkle in the light whilst her hair was tied up with hundreds of golden beads and small precious gems. She walked with grace and poise, looking like a Princess with the way that she conducted herself and the trio pulled back from the windows as she passed in case they offended her.

A gentle chuckle came from the Mariene who was travelling with them today and the golden masked lady smiled softly at the three faces, “That was Sooyeong, one of the most prized Brides here in the City. Clearly her match has been made and she is heading to her wedding ceremony. It is a shame in a way, I had hoped that she would travel to the Princes Palace but maybe her place is here where she can inspire many Brides into following her footsteps.”

Whilst Ren and Minhyun immediately began asking a million and one questions about Sooyeong and how she had reached such an outstanding position, Himchan reflected upon the words that had been spoken. Not all brides made it to their wedding, in fact there were many who were never married off least of all offered to attend the Princes Palace Balls which were legendary for their extravagance. A shiver of fear went down his back, thinking that he may be only merely shown this wonderful beautiful world to be nothing more than a simple handmaid within it

However, a hand gently ran itself through his thick hair and he blinked up at the Mariene as she smiled at him, “Oh my dear, do not think so lowly of yourself. You are a rough diamond plucked freshly from the ground where you have been hidden for so long, by the time you leave here, you’ll shine so brightly that every man will be after you.”

Himchan ducked his face in embarrassment, unable to form words because he honestly didn’t think he could do them justice but thankfully the two younger boys distracted him with more amazed cries and he turned his eyes to the world outside where they were pulling into a very grand looking house. This one was different from the rest as it was a vast single storied building that stretched endlessly onwards. It also came as a slight surprise to the three boys that they were the only ones now here, the rest of the carriages that they had been following were gone.

The Mariene smiled towards them, “We allocate everyone to a house which we think will suit them best and this house has a high reputation for helping Carriers reach their fullest potential as they have sent all by one of their Brides to the Princes Ball and the one who remained here...you’ll meet him in due course but do not worry, here you will be expected to work hard but the rewards shall be worth it.”

“Ah, Mariene,” a deep resounding voice came across the court yard and the trio turned to look at a stunningly handsome man with deep set eyes that spoke of wisdom the likes of which none of the gathered boys had ever seen but also did not detract from the slightly crazed expression that lingered underneath the surface, “I take it these are my newest apprentices?”

Mariene nodded towards them, “Yes, they are. Don’t go making too big of a fuss of them though, Lee Jinki, they are still adapting from the rural life after all.”

“You mean they’re a bunch of country bumpkins?” a new voice joined in, filled with all the possible sass that could be imagined the trio turned to see a smaller man with jet black hair, feline eyes and a stunning aura that immediately brought about attention and high respect.

Jinki however broke out into giggles, “Just like you were, Kibum, don’t go scaring your new rabbits else you’ll never get them the way that you want them.”

Kibum looked like he was about to argue but instead he stalked up towards the trio, causing Minhyun to squeak and fear and quickly hide behind Himchan and Ren followed suit. Kibum stared at the two with a fierceness in his eyes until their faces were blocked by the folds of fabric from Himchan’s sleeves as he covered them with his arms. Himchan glared right back at Kibum without flinching in the slightest though he could feel his knees beginning to shake under such an intents stare.

“You realise that if you keep on protecting them they’re going to end up as nothing more than simpering pieces of fishes to be fed to any man with a rod?” Kibum challenged in a tone which suggested that he was not to be messed within the confines of this house.

Himchan stood his ground, still shielding the pair from view, “Scaring children to gain respect is not a desirable quality in anyone, you have to earn it through other means.”

For a few seconds the pair stared one another down, neither willing to be the first to break and then Kibum let out a chuckle before smiling brightly as he pulled back, “I like this one, there’s a fire in him that will draw everyone to him but burn those who are not worthy. Do not worry, I will not torment and hurt your precious little friends, I just like seeing if they will fall into the cute or sassy category as it makes the choices easier for later.”

He offered a hand towards Himchan, “I’m called Kibum but everyone around here calls me Key and since you are most definitely a very polite sassy carrier I think we shall become very good friends indeed.”

Himchan relaxed and took hold of the offered hand, shaking it firmly and not surprised that he received a wicked smile in return from the other that somehow seemed to just be filled with playful humour. “Now, you two cuties,” Key turned to Minhyun and Ren who were still half cowering behind Himchan, with a calculating look before he suddenly broke into a fit of happy squeals like a girl and quickly had the pair pulled away from their protective mother figure to fuss, pinch at their cheeks, spin them around and coo at just how much fun he was going to have in making them both completely irresistible and doll like.

Jinki chuckled as he stepped closer to Mariene, “I swear he gets worse every time.”

“Of course but those two he’ll adore and make sure they have the best of,” Mariene replied with a knowing smile, “Himchan however...”

“He’ll make a Empress out of him,” Jinki said in low undertones, “Or he’ll die trying to make sure of it happening.”

A nod was his reply, the Mariene already keeping her thoughts to herself about what the future would hold for the young boys in front of her but at least she knew that Himchan would receive the best possible start here and that was exactly what fate wished of him. 

 

authors babbling: a shorter chapter but I didn't want to get too bogged down on bits with it all and plus most of the stuff we'll come to learn together as we go along. Plus I found I kinda shot myself in the foot cuase Heechul would have been great to be Himchan's mentor but unfortunately he's kinda on Earth (read the EXO off shoot for that lot) so I couldn't. Thankfully though I remembered about our feline Diva Key so he will more than prepare Himchan, or at least attempt to. Next couple of chapters should focus on Zico and the Princes and Yongguk being all victorious General and the likes. 

Hope you enjoy and see you all soon.