Chapter 23

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

Here comes the bride

Looking radiant

Here comes the groom

Looking so proud

Be careful what you wish for

Times are changing rapidly

~*~

Chapter Twenty-Three

Feeling as though he was being lead on some kind of mysterious adventure as a silken blindfold had been pulled carefully over his eyes so that he would not see himself or Yongguk until they were both standing at the alter – a tradition from the Bang family that seemed a little strange when first proposed to him but Himchan was not one to go against tradition for fear that he would be seriously cursed – the bride felt as though he were going to be ill with his nerves.

To compensate for the lack of vision, his other senses had become even more alert than what they had been previously and it was something slightly unnerving. He could hear the soft babbling of the crowd as they neared the venue, along with a gentle flow of water and the slight twittering of birds. The morning air smelt fresh with hundreds of different scented flowers and light musk was burning somewhere nearby as well.

He was very glad that Jongup and Tiffany were holding onto his hands to guide him down the venue as he was sure that the gasps of surprise, quietly muttered compliments and a cry of, “Ohhh Pretty!” which he immediately recognised as baby Taemin would have normally made him so weak at the knees that he would not be able to stand up for very long. It was strange, hearing so many compliments being sent his way even though he really should be used to them by now but he took a deep breath and tried to focus his attention elsewhere. A stronger smell had invaded his nostrils, a deep musky scent that he was always extremely fond of and the nerves returned tenfold. Yongguk was not far away from him now and he could only hope that he would be everything that the General wanted in a life partner.

It felt like only a mere second later that their hands were joined together and Himchan could not help but smile as he felt the sticky warmth of his future husband’s hands. It transpired that Yongguk was just as nervous as he was about this whole affair, even though he had been the one to instigate it and that somehow managed to settle the nerves in Himchan’s stomach. They were in this together, they were one in heart, mind and soul and right at that moment in time all the bride wanted to do was to rip the silk away from his eyes so that he could gaze upon his partner. A tight squeeze to his hands alerted him to the fact that Yongguk was also feeling the same way and it was way too easy to imagine the goofy, gummy smile that would be decorating the General’s face right now.

“You’re smiling,” Himchan whispered as loud as he dared, knowing that the overseer of the wedding was stepping closer to start his speech.

“So are you,” came the reply which sounded even happier than it had done in a long while, “Not long now until you are officially mine for the rest of our lives.”

“Ahem,” the man conducting the ceremony cut into the pairs quiet whispers to begin the ritualistic vows which caused a series of giggles to go through the watching crowd. They all agreed that the scene in front of them was just far too cute and they really were the most perfect of couples together.

Himchan barely registered the words that were being spoken, far more interested in feeling the roughness of Yongguk’s hands and desperately wishing that they could just hurry up and remove the blindfolds. He answered the questions honestly when they came up, knowing what he was supposed to say and how to go with the general flow but he was almost a little too eager in his responses at times which were adorable to hear. However, in contrast, Yongguk kept getting tongue tied and must have been blushing up a storm because he was clearly on the verge of breaking down into hundreds of tears which just made everything even more adorable.

Finally, the words were spoken, “Now you have both sworn your lives to one another, your vision shall be intertwined together so that only you may behold the beauty which will rest with you for the rest of your lives.”

The silk slid away perfectly from Himchan’s eyes and he blinked in the blazing sunlight, startled for a few seconds as he had almost become accustomed to the darkness that he had been staring at for most of the day. It took him a few seconds to adjust his vision but once he did, the blossoming smile that graced his features was clear for all to see. Yongguk looked even more handsome than the first time that he had laid eyes upon him, dressed in a fine noble dress uniform that had a slight edge to it to suggest that it was used for more than just the usual spare occasion. It fitted his general perfectly, the colours a dusty white and pale yellow making him somehow appear to be like some regal man from ancient times.

Yongguk had already been smiling but now he practically had nothing left to smile with as he stared at his Bride, dressed in the dark purple hanbok which had picked out that had fine decoration and silver tassels. His hair had been combed up and back into a simple knot with long strands being plated down his back and lined with silken ribbons that were a soft baby blue. It was almost understated for being a Bridal Gown, even the seamstress had pointed this out when Yongguk had chosen it but the General understood his bride far better than anyone else could have and he knew that something as elegant and simple as this would make Himchan shine brightly. Yongguk had not quite been prepared for the overall affect because in his eyes, Himchan looked to have been brought down from the Gods themselves today to grace the world with his presence and his heart swelled with love and joy.

The watching crowd were clearly ecstatic about the reveal, the whispered rushing around those gathered like wild fire. Key having to make a desperate grab for Taemin who was kicking up a fuss because he wanted to go and play with his pretty aunty Himmy, smiled towards Jin who had been invited along, “Well, aren’t you jealous?”

“Not in the slightest,” Jin smiled in response, “Who do you think made that hanbok for him?”

A few rows further forward, Zico smiled and tried to quell the pain that was in his heart. Himchan was the perfect bride and he would be lying if he said that he wasn’t jealous of not being able to steal his heart away from Yongguk but maybe it was best to consider that sometimes, the things that were most beloved had to be let go in order for them to be happy. He smiled sadly and ducked his head, “You better keep your promise Yongguk, else I will fulfil mine.”

The rest of the ceremony carried on in the traditional style, more vows being exchanged and a song or two to bring high praise on the newly wedded couple. They exchanged rings, Himchan nearly dropping Yongguk’s because he was shaking so much with trying not to cry and a sort of magical hush fell over the entire congregation as the final moment came which they had all been waiting for.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” the man conducting the ceremony spoke, “It is with my greatest pleasure that I present to you, Bang Yongguk and his wife, Bang Himchan. You may kiss your bride.”

Nodding, Yongguk smiled and pulled his wife close to their bodies practically touched if they were not wearing clothes. A few catcalls came from such an action but generally it was because everyone was anticipating the kiss that was to come only a few seconds from now. Himchan blushed and found himself falling straight for the General’s charms even though he had already known that he had already done that.

Their lips were just touching when the first harrowing whistling came from above them and Yongguk pulled back to glance up just in time to see a flash of grey before a building on the opposite side of the street suddenly exploded in a shower of black and red. The General wasted no time in flinging himself to the floor, protectively covering Himchan who screamed in fright as more bombs came flying over the top of their wedding sending more buildings up into horrendous crashes of black, red and billowing smoke that destroyed the loveliness of the day.

A ship flying low materialised out of the sky above them, a long sleek grey affair with stylised engine ports and the insignia of the EXO planet clearly displayed. It roared overhead, clearly aiming for the Capital to take out the royal household and Zico scrambled hurriedly to his feet with a look of pure horror covering his face. One of his personal bodyguards was quick to throw him back down as another bomb was lobbed towards the Capital and a much larger explosion ripped off the forcefield that surrounded the main palace.

It however wavered and a small section of one of the outer turrets of the palace crumbled.

“Right, soldiers, to your posts,” Yongguk bellowed as more ships decloaked and soared into view, “Get any and all civilians out of here and to the safe zones. Zico, call your guards and clear the underground pathways, it’ll be the quickest way through the palace.”

“Yongguk!” Himchan panicked, his brain finally catching up with itself, “Please, don’t leave me!”

Another explosion brought everyone down to the ground but the General was swiftly back on his feet, hauling Himchan into his arms as he ran to get as many people into safety as possible. Plonking Himchan down, he grabbed hold of Jongup and Youngjae, unable to see where Daehyun was at the moment, “Protect Himchan with your lives.”

“No! Yongguk!” Himchan screamed, trying to reach for his husband as hundreds of gunshots, bombs and battle cries took to the skies, “Yongguk! Come back! Please!”

The last view Himchan had of Yongguk was of his back, standing tall and proud as he issued orders and gathered his men. He was pulled into the underground bunker and held fast by Youngjae who would hold to his word no matter what came. Whilst he wanted to be out there, fighting with the rest, he knew that Himchan needed to be protected at all costs and he would do so. Yongguk needed to know that Himchan was alive and well and that would make him fight longer, harder and with more necessity than before.

They would all just have to pray that he would come back to them, alive.