Chapter 11

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

Friends come in many forms

Some take a while to trust

Whilst others you connect with instantly

~*~

Chapter Eleven

~.~

Travelling to the Capital was always going to be a long journey, Himchan had been aware of that but he had not actually given any real thought to how long it actually was. It would take three days by the train that was virtually going flat out and with no scheduled stops. Normally three days would seem like nothing as with his old daily routine back at the orphanage everything just flowed back and forth into one with virtually no distinction of the days whereas at the City of Brides the days passed so quickly as Himchan found himself going back and forth between dressers, stylists, makeup artists, afternoon tea, evening events, little dates with Jin and then babysitting sessions with Taemin that Himchan had been unable to keep up with what was going on in the slightest.

So to be stuck on a train for three days surrounded by strangers he didn’t know would have been extremely boring if not for the almost constant presence of Tiffany who had become a firm friend within a matter of hours. Himchan could not describe quite what it was about the woman that made him so relaxed and feel as if he could genuinely connect with her on more levels than anyone had ever managed to reach him before, excluding Key Umma of course but that was a very different relationship Himchan had mused to himself.

Tiffany was a breath of fresh air in the stuffy carriages filled with snobby brides who were either scheming together about how to make sure that they could grab the best available young men for their group though ultimately it was for themselves as they saw everyone as a rival who would stop them from becoming the bride of some rich and powerful person and were rather vocal about how they best deserved that role even though not a single one of them had any real idea about who was going to be at the first official Bride Ball.

In comparison to that constantly conversation, Tiffany was more interested in talking about where they had come from, what they’re ambitions were and telling him the intricate plot lines of several dramas that she had been taken to the theatre to see and Himchan found it all fascinating. He had only attended one of the performances at the theatre and he had rather rudely ended up falling asleep because the play seemed to be about two old men who were just talking to each other about a series of rambling events that bore no relation to one another and Himchan rather got the impression that it was aimed at an audience who was not him.

Thankfully Jin had been very understanding and had even used Himchan’s as an excuse to get out of the theatre because even he was bored with the play. Jin had apologised profusely for dragging Himchan along to that and had made a promise to take him to a much better performance at some point but a series of festivals had stolen them both away so they had never gone back. Secretly Himchan was rather happy for that fact because he was unsure if he could ever come to like the theatre but that was something that he would have to worry about later.

During the hours after a rather glorious lunch on the second day, Tiffany and Himchan had found themselves happily alone in one of the observation carriages which had luxurious sofas in greens with a cream flowering pattern and Tiffany brought up a conversation which Himchan was surprised about. “If you had a choice, Himchan, how many children would you have and what would they be called?”

For a moment Himchan paused and blinked, before shaking his head, “I’ve never really thought about it before.”

“Really?” Tiffany asked, sounding genuinely surprised.

Himchan nodded, “I know it sounds crazy but I just never really look that far ahead.”

“But how do you keep on going then? I mean, not to be rude, but everyone has their own dreams and ambitions. Surely you have some of your own?” Tiffany asked, not being rude in the slightest from her tone, just curious.

his lips, Himchan took a moment to organise his thoughts before letting out a long sigh, “Before I was involved with all of this, my only ambition was to be of legal age to leave the orphanage so that I would hopefully be able to find a way to get money and maybe a place of my own. I never thought of anything about finding a partner or marriage or children or anything.”

“Why not?” Tiffany asked, clearly intrigued by this revelation from her new friend.

“Because no one ever liked me in that place,” Himchan answered truthfully because that was the best way that he could be right now, “I don’t know why exactly but it was always a case that anyone older than me had an extreme dislike for my existence. I tried to ask a few times and sought to see if there was something with my birth that could explain their coldness towards me but I was always blocked. It was a dark time indeed and I still honestly don’t understand how anyone could have picked me out for such an honour as this.”

Silence fell upon the pair for a few long moments, excluding the clickity-clack of the train as it rumbled over the tracks and the gentle sway of the carriages in turn. Himchan ducked his head, thinking that maybe he had been a bit of a fool in speaking aloud the truth of his life before he had been selected and was desperately trying to think of a way to remedy the situation because he had made a clear mistake.

However there came a rustle of silk and he felt the warmth of a body come into his side as a pair of arms wrapped around his frame and soft lips pressed to the side of his temple. “Well they were all complete and total idiots cause I can see exactly why you were selected for this role Himchan. I think you’re wonderful and are so strong…” she chuckled at the irony of that statement given the meaning of his name as she had looked it up after they had found a book about predicting the future and they had spent an evening going through it in the most appalling manner though that was probably due to the amount of alcohol that they had consumed, “I think that you’re going to grab someone’s attention who is surely going to love and cherish you beyond all of your wildest and most secretive dreams.”

Opening his mouth to argue, Tiffany quickly silenced him by pressing her fingers to his lips and giggling, “I won’t hear you putting yourself down anymore Himchan, you need to have some confidence in yourself and I saw you with Jin-sii. You had it in bucket loads and it is best to keep that thought in the forefront of your mind.”

Another laugh escaped her, “I bet if you had stayed back there you would have been wed to Jin-sii.”

“I would have not,” Himchan blushed bright red, looking away in the hopes that his expression wouldn’t give away his feelings on that thought, “Jin-sii wouldn’t…”

“Jin-sii was completely besotted with you but never tried to pursue you because Key Umma would have ripped his balls off,” Tiffany laughed, “He just wanted to make sure that you were as ready to go as possible but if you hadn’t have been picked then Jin-sii would have been very happy. I think you would have been as well.”

“Noona!” Himchan complained, hiding his face in his hand, “You’re being embarrassing!”

“Of course I am,” Tiffany said, hugging him, “Only cause I’m calling you out on your little crush and personally I think everyone was jealous for you capturing his attention entirely. Though none of us dared to say anything in the slightest cause Key would have had words.”

Shyly peeking at the other, Himchan blinked, “Really?”

“Yes, didn’t you see how handsome he was, we all wanted him,” Tiffany said, petting his head, “Hell even I was jealous until that Captain spoilt me a little more than he needed to. So it’s completely fine to have a crush on him because we all did. You just got lucky because you got him all to yourself and he gifted your lots.”

Blushing again, Himchan groaned and hid his face because he had not really thought of his situation with Jin like that in the slightest and there was now a lingering bit of sadness in his heart for having to leave the other behind. However, he was also thankful that Jin had never actually stated outright his feelings towards Himchan else he was sure that he would have found a reason to stay. Or maybe not, he honestly did not know and his mind was getting completely turned to mush with all of these thoughts.

Tiffany was immediately laughing at him once again but it was in a genuine humour and she snuggled lightly against his neck, “Oh Himchan! You are so adorable! I can’t wait to see what happens when you do fall in love, you’re going to be so pretty that I just won’t know what to do with you.”

“How did we even get onto this topic of conversation?” Himchan asked, hoping to distract the other but only sealing his fate a little further.

“Because I asked you how many children you wanted,” Tiffany said, still chuckling though she did sit back, “You never actually answered that question.”

“Well how many do you want, Tiffany Noona?”  Himchan asked, looking for a distraction.

A smile was sent his way, “Three. Though if I really love the gentleman I would stretch to five. Then I could have a mix of boys and girls.”

Himchan blinked, “Five? Wouldn’t that be really painful?”

“I’d imagine so,” Tiffany replied with a slight shrug, “But think about having five bundles of joy which you could call your own. It would be adorable.”

“You must like hard work, Tiffany,” Himchan smiled as he thought back to the days in the orphanage when he had to look after up to ten children at a time, “Children have way too much energy at the best of times and when they’re together they plot together to run you ragged.”

Tiffany raised an eyebrow, “You looked after more than one before?”

“I virtually looked after all the children in the orphanage,” Himchan said with a fond smile, “Believe me, one baby would be enough to deal with at one time.”

“Aha, so you will have one child then?” Tiffany latched onto that thought, “Or plan to only have one right?”

Opening his mouth, Himchan ended up sighing and nodding, “Yeah, I’ll have one if that makes you happen. Though I would like it to be a little boy. Though an actual boy, not a carrier.”

“I think you would love your baby no matter what, Himchan,” Tiffany smiled affectionately towards the other, “You’re full of love and whoever manages to gain your heart fully will always be firmly loved.”

“You as well, Tiffany,” Himchan echoed back, already knowing that Tiffany would be a beautiful wife and mother as he smiled, “Let’s both find someone to love with all of our hearts.”