Chapter 21

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

Planning without an idea is stupid

Making a plan for an idea that has not been formed

Is sheer nonsense

But planning for something that may happen

In the future

Is a wise man’s

Nightmare

~*~

Chapter Twenty One

Trying to desperately hold back a sigh which wanted to escape him, Zico instead managed to grab hold of a glass and take a long sip which hid his displeasure at the man’s comments. Zico hated meetings at the best of times, they were usually tedious at best and whilst he understood the importance of them for things like ensuring that local disputes and territorial claims were sorted out, he had always felt distinctly uncomfortable when the subject of War came up. Inevitably it did, especially when he was surrounded by a bunch of old time Generals who wanted to feel the pounding adrenalin that came from the heat of the battle even though practically none of them had ever stepped so much as a toe onto the actual battlefield that had supposedly made them famous.

The only General that Zico respected was Bang Yongguk who had quite literally taken up the mantel when his former General had perished in a battle on the eastern edge of the galaxy and had stood side by side with his men until the troops were defeated. Considering that he had been nothing more than a Petty Officer who was used as a servant in the tent of the late General it had been an impressive Victory which had many units flocking to his side. Plus, the rather lesser known fact that at the time he had barely been seventeen and had only witnessed two battles made Yongguk a formidable man to attempt to trifle with.

Which was why he was annoyed at the older General who had just made an off-hand comment that the Exo militia build up could only mean that they were bringing war to Mato and that they should strike first and take the planet before it became too much of a threat.

“Our spies report that the Exo forces are depleted, they’re still recovering in terms of men and the only apparent advantage they have is those Princes of theirs but considering the fact that we easily captured one before giving him back I suggest that they are nothing more than a distraction force used to inspire the men and make them think that they are invincible,” the old man continued to wheeze on, too much light in his eyes as he clearly had to be under the influence of dreams of blood, death and misery that seemed to drive most of these old timers.

Zico opened his mouth to respond but Yongguk was the one to actually address the older General. “Lord Kim, whilst in the past I would have agreed with such statements I do believe that there are other factors to consider. The Princes of Exo are not just mere pawns that are gambled with lightly and there were a mixture of circumstances that lead to the successful detainment of the Prince which you refer to,” those circumstances Zico happened to know was due to the fact that Yifan had heart trouble at the time and had collapsed on the battlefield, unable to fight and therefore he had been taken in for medical treatment as he had practically surrendered after that, but it wasn’t common knowledge as Zico felt it not appropriate in the slightest and Yongguk had agreed. “If Exo are indeed mustering their forces then we are best in letting them come to us first,” Yongguk continued on with a smoothness of tone that was polite and yet held distinction over the elder man.

The older General glared at the youngster, spitting furiously, “They outnumber us considerably, it would be like stepping into the mouth of the lion and playing with the teeth.”

Yongguk however remained calm in front of the hostile aggression that was being directed at him, such an enviable trait, “On the surface yes it would be. But it would also allow us the element of surprise as it would be easier to cut off their supply lines considering there are three planets in-between us and Exo with several large lunar colonies which have pledged loyalty to our cause.”

There was a pause before the older General started a stuttering, infuriated retreat but eventually it was all calmed down and the meeting continued on for another boring or so before Zico dismissed it for another time. Whilst they were sure that Exo Planet were indeed preparing their armies, until they got an actual sighing of the troops on the move there was not a lot that could be done except watch and wait.

“General Yongguk,” Zico called before Yongguk could leave though he politely lingered to allow the elder men to leave the room first as per his correct manners which was something else that Zico liked about the man, “Walk with me.”

Yongguk seemed to be a bit surprised with the order but bowed and fell into an easy step alongside his Prince as they walked across the vast halls of the Palace towards the Private quarters. It was a rare opportunity to accompany the Prince on his journey as normally he liked to take it alone since it would be a fool who tried to even get into the palace but after a moment or two, Zico stepped off the main paths and led the General down to a hidden study which held all the grandeur that one would expect a room belonging to a Prince to hold but Yongguk was quick to notice that there was a more personal touch about the room. Small little trinkets, funny little knickknacks and childish paintings were hidden amongst heavy books and age old school jotters.

This was clearly a place where secrets were kept and Yongguk instinctively knew that whatever conversation they were about to have, it would never leave the walls of this place.

Zico indicated for the General to sit down on a nice plush chair whilst he took residence in a fine hardback with an ease that suggested that no one was going to question where they sat. Gently Zico ran his tongue across his lips before he stared directly at Yongguk and knew to be straight forward with the other. “Do you fully intend to marry the Bride Himchan and give him everything that you promised and more?”

Taken aback by the comment, Yongguk leant backwards in shock and stared at his Prince, “Ex... excuse...me...but...”

Zico laughed a little, glad to know that there was indeed a softer side to the General and the firm mask could indeed be broken, “The Bride Himchan, is it not your wish to marry him? Or correction should I say have you not already proposed to him?”

Yongguk could only stare at his Prince in concern, because if he had somehow overstepped the boundary and taken the Prince’s bride he was sure that there would be nothing short of hell to pay. He desperately tried to think of a way to explain himself that wouldn’t result in his head being cut off only to startle more when Zico burst into laughter. “Oh, forgive me, but your expression was priceless,” the prince giggled like a school boy, shaking his head, “Do not fear, Yongguk, I simply wish to hear from you the words which I have already heard because as you know I am rather fond of Himchan and I wish simply for him to find joy and happiness after that beastly little village clung to an age-old superstition and treated him abominably.”

Blinking in shock, Yongguk gulped and nodded his head, “I did ask Himchan to be my life partner, my lord, and he accepted.”

Zico smiled, “Were you all romantic with him when you proposed?”

“I... I believe so...” Yongguk still did not know where this conversation was taking him, “I proposed at the Christmas Dance which my family holds every year after taking him on a sleigh ride and ice skating.”

A warmer smile crossed the prince’s features, “Ah now I see. I would have not chosen something like that if I were to act upon my affections and that is probably what would cause problems. Himchan is most certainly better suited to being spoilt with romance and feelings rather than money.”

“My Prince?” Yongguk asked, hoping that he wasn’t just being thick and not understanding what Zico was talking about.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I keep forgetting that we should technically be speaking as equals,” Zico smiled before sighing wistfully, “I believe in my heart that if I had been the one to sweep Himchan off his feet first then his heart would belong with me but he has been besotted with you ever since that first dance and I can see why now. As much as I would love to claim that we are rivals in love, I already know that I have lost to you and for once I am prepared to give up that fight in order to see Himchan happy. All that I ask if that when you do get married that I am there to witness it.”

Still sitting in his chair, Yongguk stared at the Prince as if he were talking to some stranger which just made Zico laugh all the more, “Yongguk. Don’t look like that. I am practically giving Himchan away to you even though he was yours to begin with. I’ll even give my personal blessings for the pair of you to be married long and live together in happiness and bare many children who will be just as strong and beautiful as the pair of you.”

The General blinked and then launched forward to kneel in front of the Zico, bowing so formally that Zico wanted to be sick. “My Lord, you do not know...”

“Oh please, stop that rubbish right now,” Zico said, dismissing the movements, “I can’t bare all the formality and stuff right now. There is one condition however, one that you must swear to me blindly right now and then I shall allow you to go.”

“Yes, my Lord, anything you command,” Yongguk practically stuttered, unsure whether he should be smiling or terrified right now.

Zico wanted to pinch the other man’s cheeks so badly but he refrained as he took on a serious expression, “If you ever become the cause for Himchan to be hurt in any way shape or form, outside of petty arguments and the likes, expect me to come down on you like a ton of bricks with little to no mercy. Do I make myself clear?”

Yongguk relaxed a little and leant back on his heels, “Fully sir. I would never wish any harm upon Himchan and I will do everything in my power to make sure that he is loved beyond the farthest reaches of the stars.”

“Now that I believe in,” Zico said with a smile, “Now go back to your home Yongguk and start planning that wedding. I don’t care if traditions state you have to wait until whenever, I want to see Himchan as a full member of your house before Exo decides to do anything stupid.”

Yongguk nodded, bowing formally to the Prince as he left with the biggest, happiest smile on his face. Zico continued to smile until he was sure that the General was out of earshot before closing the door to the study and returning to his desk. For a moment, he sat there, staring at the blank sheet of paper in front of him before bursting suddenly into his own set of tears. Whilst he had given his blessings to Yongguk and Himchan’s marriage and would be there to see it through, heart break was still something unknown to the Prince and it hurt far more than what it should have done.

He could only hope these would be the only tears of sadness that he would cry over Himchan, for the next time he cried he wanted it to be in joy and nothing else.