Chapter 8

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

Brothers are funny things

Sometimes they’re your worst enemies

Sometimes they’re your best friends

But Regardless

They are always there for you

~*~

Chapter Eight

~.~

The arrival back on Matoki was a fairly understated affair but since the whole point of the mission had been to return a prisoner back to his home there wasn’t really much need for a celebration. It was not like they had come back victorious from a battle or something like that. It was merely an interplanetary state visit with an extra bit attached to it and to be truthful Zico was more than glad to be home. It meant that for a time he could simply rest up and not have to worry about dealing with anyone from the Exoian planet for a while.

Until everything kicked off again as it would inevitably do so.

Shaking his head, the crown prince checked that his appearance was impeccable before heading out of his designated suite, flanked by several bodyguards that were probably not needed in such a situation but were always present and into the familiar warmth and heat. He briefly glimpsed General Yongguk addressing the soldiers who had gone with them, giving them a final debrief before dismissing them back to their own lodgings and probably heading home himself.

For a brief moment, a spike of jealousy went through Zico at the thought that Yongguk had a family to go home to whom would dote upon his arrival and make a fuss of their cousin finally coming home to them. But it was only for a passing moment, once the formalities were out of the way then Zico would be able to speak to his brothers and that would make life just a little easier.

His Father, the King, was old fashioned and too preoccupied with whatever it was that Kings were supposed to do to really pay attention to anything that his sons did unless it somehow involved the planets position in the solar system and the Queen...well that was a situation he did not want to really think about. At one time she had been loving and charming towards them all, now she seemed to be reluctant to even look at anyone other than their youngest brother Jihoon whom she doted upon just a little too enthusiastically. No one had a rightful explanation for this and since their father never bothered to correct it Zico had learnt to accept it a long while ago.

Though it didn’t quite make up for the feeling of loss in his stomach.

Once inside the Palace the Guards were dismissed and Zico made his way through the various grand court yards, studies and libraries which he knew like the back of his hand and made his way to a tea garden that the King liked to escape to. It was one of the plainest gardens in the palace, set with simple white stones and sand and only the occasional ornament or flowering plant but he always seemed to be most at ease here in this simple space.

Zico carefully opened the door and knelt down to bow formally to his father who was seated by a single plain white circular table that was set with a pot of tea for one. The King acknowledged Zico with a small hum as he took a drink out of his cup and set it aside. “I take it the Exoian Prince is returned?”

“Yes, sire,” Zico said, having learnt long ago to never address the man by familiar terms unless he stated them first.

The King blinked, “Good. Did you receive any trouble from their Government?”

“None at all,” Zico said, finishing raising to his feet and placing his hands in front of himself, “They exchanged him for the Ward without question and he has gone back to his family with General Bang.”

“Good,” the man sighed as he leaned back in his chair and idly glanced over to the opposite side of the table with a longing look that confused Zico but he was careful not to voice a word until the King gave him another command. With pursed lips, the man reached across to pluck a smooth white and red lined envelope from the stand it had been resting on and offered it towards Zico, “It’s time for you to start choosing a Queen for when you rule. Preparations are fully underway and I’ve heard that the Brides that will start arriving within the next month are the most beautiful examples to date. I hope you choose well to continue our lineage.”

Taking the envelope with a bow, Zico stepped away and bowed once again as he was dismissed with a wave before stepping into the long corridors that would lead him to the Princes wing. Once he was out of sight of the King, he paused in his step to glance down at the envelope in his hands in awe. He was being allowed to choose his own wife? That was something that he had never expected in the slightest as he was sure that he would have been promised to someone’s daughter a long time ago.

Shaking his head, the young Prince smiled and placed the envelope with its precious letters inside of his robe before heading quickly down the corridor as he could already hear the sound that he most wanted to hear. Laughter, quips, mischief and mayhem that could only come from his brothers. There were next to no servants here, the seven boys having chosen to be more independent in their youth and usually it meant that they got away with a lot more than what they would have been able to in the past.

Smiling as he reached the sliding doors that lead to one of their favourite studies, Zico wasted no time in pushing it open only to have to duck a silk covered cushion which came flying overhead. Before he even had time to process just what had happened, there was a body wrapping itself around his in greeting and a huge smile came across Jihoon’s face. “Zico-hyung! You’re back!”

Zico laughed and squished the boy’s cheeks, “What made you think that I wouldn’t huh?”

“He always worries that you’re not going to come back,” Kyung said with a smile as he left Jaehyo and Minhyuk wrestling on the floor with one another to throw a hug around Zico’s shoulders, “You know what he’s like.”

“That I do,” Zico smiled fondly, brushing back the strands of Jihoon’s hair because he could not resist taking care of the little youngster with a bright smile.

“Ohh, what’s this?” Taeil said, holding aloft the envelope which he had managed to sneak out from Zico’s robes though no one knew how on earth he ever managed to do this.

Zico made a snatch back for the envelope, “None of your concern! Give it back.”

“Oh, it’s something fancy then,” Taeil teased, stepping gracefully out of reach but mainly because Jihoon hadn’t let up on his hugging yet and immediately passed it to Yukwon for further analyse, “Whom has our Crown Prince got a crush on.”

Yukwon glanced at the envelope, raised his eyebrow in amusement before passing it straight back to Zico with a smile and pushed Taeil to the floor, “No one. That is an invite to the Bridal Ball at the end of the month. He’s coming of age so it’s time for him to find a wife.”

“Oh, didn’t Kyung receive one of those as well?” Jaehyo said as he clambered onto Taeil’s back to drag him into the fight which he and Minhyuk were still in the process of going on even though the pair hadn’t officially greeted Zico yet. However, he knew that it would only be a matter of time before he was pulled into the fight and in an odd way he was grateful and he started to remove his royal blue other robes just so that he could join in and let loose some steam.

He did raise an eyebrow towards Kyung, “Aren’t you a little young be to be going to that ball?”

“Apparently it’s some kind of political move,” Kyung shrugged before deliberately picking up a pillow to throw at Yukwon with a clear challenge in his eyes, “But at least you won’t be bored alone.”

About to retort to that remark, Zico found himself suddenly flat on the ground as Minhyuk tackled him and within seconds they were all there trying to pin each other down or else win a tickling war that would never be fully sorted out. Jihoon pulled himself back a little to catch his breath and smiled brightly at seeing Moon Jongup standing with a tray of sweet treats and drinks in the doorway to their little sanctuary looking a mixture between confused and bemused by finding the Princes rolling on the floor acting like they were children.

The young servant boy was a bastard offspring of General Bang’s father but he was raised in the family house and since he had started working at the palace as a general maid, Jihoon had made firm friends with him so the formalities were usually dropped.

“Jongup! You thought ahead so well!” Jihoon called, standing up to take the tray off the boy who bowed deeply in thanks and stepped back. “Wait, aren’t you going to stay with us?”

“Not today,” Jongup smiled a little shyly, “I too have family returning and I wish to go and see them for myself. The Head Maid allowed me the time off since I spend far too much time with you as is.”

Jihoon giggled and nodded, “You deserve it. Go and see your family then! I’m going to win this tickle war and claim the sweetest treats for myself!”

It was tempting to laugh aloud but Jongup did not dare as he watched Jihoon take a few running steps towards the pile of struggling brothers and nearly flatten Kyung after he jumped straight back into the fray. Unfortunately for the youngster, this meant that all his older brothers turned immediately on him in a joint effort to tickle him back in revenge.

Jongup bowed once again and left the room, ensuring to close the door behind him and slip into the nearest servant’s corridor so that he could navigate quickly and quietly through the whole of the Palace and slip away earlier to his home to greet his family whom he loved more than anything else in the world. He was unaware of the slight glow his eyes gave off in the dark but at that moment in time he was too happy to worry about it. 

 

authors babbling: 

OMG! I am so sorry that it took over a month to update this. I feel like such a bad author but between conventions, turning 30 (yes, you read that right) and work being a complete mess at times I have just had next to no time to write anything other than Volf trilogy ending but now thats done and life is beginning to settle down just a little bit I can start getting back on track.

Anyways I hope this chapter is entertaining and before you all start, yes I know Zico is totally different to how he was in Edge but in my head I knew that Himchan had genuinely fallen in love with the lovely nice Zico who suddenly turned into the monster that we all love to hate in Edge so I'm presenting him differently until the turning point. I hope this isn't a deal breaker for anyone but it just gives a little bit of context. 

Plus we got Jongup introduced as well so that's all good. Next Chapter will focus on Yongguk and Daehyun returning home and then we'll get to the start of getting the triangle in place. 

Oh and I found this image on facebook the other day, I'm not sure which Drama it's from but I was so reminded of the Fire AU series when I saw it that I had to share it all with you. If anyone happens to know the Drama please tell me about it