Chapter 5

Dance into the Fire

Dance into the Fire

~*~

For a perfect party

One must feel perfect

But sometimes the best way to feel

Like you are

Is to simply be yourself

~*~

Chapter Five

~.~

Gently humming as the brush wound down through the long layers of fine black silk that was Ren’s hair, Himchan could not help but smile as he thought back to how it had been before. Ren had always had very beautiful hair, it was something that he had been gifted with from the start of his life and it was very enviable, but now after months of fine oil treatment and constant attention and brushing with only the finest of horse hair brushes it glimmered with stunning colours and was one of the many reasons why the youngster was sought out by many when he went out. Key however was fiercely protective of his little blossom, as he referred to Ren, and so far the boy had merely been allowed to be looked upon. Something that was both highly exciting but also just a little frustrating for Ren.

Especially since Minhyun had already been granted permission to court a fine young gentleman who came from the silk trader’s guild. However, Himchan knew very well the reason why that had happened, Kim Jonghyun who was known as JR since there were one too many Jonghyun around the village of the brides, was beyond besotted with the youngster and had always treated him with respect, dignity and affection the likes of which Himchan could only wish to ever receive. Their first meeting had not been planned, nor had it been a pleasant affair as the naive Minhyun had been tricked into following a leech of a man into a back alley and had very nearly lost everything that would make him worthy of being a bride. Thankfully JR had seen the man operating before and once he had notified the local law enforcement he had gone back to ensure that Minhyun was safe.

The resulting fight had been quite bloody and fierce but JR was able to deposit the disgusting man’s body at the feet of the law enforcement officers without a problem and then he had personally escorted Minhyun back to the house with a promise that he would be there every night to him to whatever function or party the youngster was decreed to go to. Key was not surprised that he kept that promise and within a week of it all starting, he gave his blessing to the silk merchant that he could court the youngster. Minhyun was thrilled and terrified of the idea at first but now it was so common place to see the pair together that everyone spoke of them becoming the pair to be married at the Moon Festival at the end of the year.

Of course Ren was overjoyed for his friend to have found a potential love that was so strong but it did make him feel just a little lonely. Himchan understood that feeling but had come to accept it long ago because no one had ever really expressed love towards him so he felt no need to worry about it. Plus, he knew that Ren was already in very high demand and had many potential courtiers but Key was being strictly guarding of him and Himchan had learnt from his conversations with their Jonghyun that Key was known as the best matchmaker as well as the best bride chooser in the village. It was a myth at all of the brides who came to this house went to the Palace, a majority of them did not because Key would always know just who would best match them and would ensure that they would meet at the right time.

Minhyun was an exception to that rule, naturally, but Key had taken one look at JR and known so hence he was allowed to court. Jonghyun suspected that their diva Mistress of the House already had a firm plan in mind for Ren, hence why he was being very careful with whom he allowed the youngster to see and be seen with but it was impossible to know just what the other was planning at times apparently.

Ren hummed happily as his hair was brushed, before leaning back a little further, “Will you be coming with us tonight, Himchan oppa?”

Pausing in his brushing, Himchan shook his head, “I honestly don’t know. Key has not mentioned anything to me.”

“Would you like to come?” Ren asked, sounding ever hopeful but that could be more to do with the fact that he probably did not want to be left on his own again whilst Minhyun danced with his courtier.

Himchan smiled, “It is not up to me. But I’m sure regardless that you shall have a fine time.”

So far, Himchan had not been presented at any of the various events that Minhyun and Ren had attended but he didn’t question in. He understood the unspoken looks that he was not good enough, wasn’t sweet enough like his two adorable little friends and probably would forever remain here as a maid. But Key had insisted that he grow his hair out, attended certain lessons primarily around dance which he very much enjoyed and also had him helping raise his son Taemin at every last opportunity that present itself. Himchan was more than happy to do the latter as Taemin was the most adorable toddler he had ever met with large eyes, soft hair that did its own thing regardless of how it was attempted to be tamed and such a good nature that looking after him was a joy.

Even on the days when he was a little cranky the boy was of no hassle in the slightest and Himchan enjoyed getting to looking after Taemin.

Opening his mouth to speak, Ren was cut off when the door to the room opened and Key appeared looking effortlessly beautiful as usual in a light beige coloured hanbok and a very smiley looking Taemin in his arms who immediately made grabby hands towards Himchan. “Ren,” Key nodded towards the boy, “Go to your room, the dresser is present and I want to make sure that the colours suit you just fine for tonight.”

Ren nodded and stood up, taking his hairbrush back as he smiled towards Himchan before giving him a little hug and scampering off. Tonight was the Festival of the Butterflies and it was said to be one of the biggest nights in the entire Calendar, excluding the Fire and Moon Festivals at the end of the year, as it was the one where the Brides who were destined to go to the Palace were chosen. Not officially of course but it was the best opportunity for everyone present to be seen in their full splendour.

Himchan smiled and extended his hands towards Key, fully expecting the other to pass Taemin over so that he could coo and fuss over him as usual but instead the other just smiled and shook his head, shifting the babe around to rest more normally, “Oh no, no babysitting duty for you tonight Himchan.”

Blinking Himchan looked towards Key with a frown, “What do you mean? I always look after Taemin when you take Ren and Minhyun out.”

Key chuckled, “I know that. But tonight you are coming with us.”

Himchan sat back in surprise, looking dumbfounded, “What?”

“Oh my little Butterfly,” Key chuckled as he shook his head and sat down next to Himchan if only to get Taemin to stop wriggling so that he could get his hugs off the other, “I don’t know what goes on in that pretty little head of yours but you cannot honestly think that I merely wanted to keep you all to myself as a childminder, surely?”

Himchan blinked, automatically picking up Taemin who had crawled over to him and fussing lightly with the baby as he spoke to Key, “But you’ve never taken me out before.”

“I know, because I want you to be my biggest secret and surprise,” Key smiled and chuckled, “Because whilst our two little blossoms are already blooming and will both be married by the Moon Festival, you are destined for great things and I could not risk you getting stolen away by some heathen who would not treasure you the way that you deserve. My Himchan, you will charm everyone tonight because already you are talked about in hushed whispers because no one knows who you are and that’s exactly what I wanted.”

“You make me sound like a rare jewel only worth to be brought out on special occasions,” Himchan almost pouted childishly.

Thankfully Key chuckled, shaking his head, “Oh you are a rare jewel, my little butterfly, one that must be protected and shielded yes but not hidden away. I just wanted to keep you to myself for a while before presenting you because those who claim unbiased in picking the brides for the Capital are not. As much as I would love to send Ren, they would never pick him because he has too many admirers and Minhyun bless has already captured the heart of a man who will truly love him with every last part of his being for the rest of time itself. You however, are meant to be in the arms of someone with real power and you’ll make him greater because of that fact. I am sorry if I have had you believing that I was ignoring you, I’ve not been in the slightest. You are a natural, captivating beauty who will need very little to ensnare the hearts of many and I know that you shall one day be most loved.”

He chuckled, “Plus I could not have your sweet innocence dispelled by the clawing es at most of these functions. Minhyun is protected so I did not need to worry about him and Ren has a fierce attitude that scares most of them off but they would have attacked you my fragile darling and I could not have that. You needed to remain pure, innocent and completely wonderful and that is everything you are right now. The Butterfly who will dazzle and enchant everyone.”

Himchan ducked his head, “I don’t know how to be that.”

“Yes you do,” Key said, raising his head with long fingers, “You know it instinctively and nothing will ever stop you ever again. I kept you out of the limelight because tonight you will outshine them all.”

Casting his eyes down, Himchan stared at Taemin who just smiled brightly up at him and gently battered his little fingers against his nose. Key laughed, “See, even Taemin agrees with me. Now you come to Eomma,” Key picked up the baby who giggled and began tugging on the others hair with clear abandon before a free hand was offered towards Himchan, “And you come with me so I can get you all prepared myself.”

Instinct made Himchan glance at the clock, “Won’t we run late?”

“Yes, but that’s the point,” Key smiled, “Me and you are different from everyone else and we’ll stand out together far better if we’re late rather than on time. Plus, you don’t want to be stuck listening to the Mayors speech, it’s boring as hell and never changes once.”

Jinki huffed at Key as he waltzed off around the corner, “You are so mean to me.”

“Oh hush, you jealous little fly,” Key called playfully back to him as he dragged Himchan down to the bathroom, “You get to flaunt two beautiful butterflies as is tonight. I’m just keeping the best one for myself.”

Himchan flushed but clearly heard the laughter of Minhyun and Ren from an adjacent corridor, “That’s right, Key Eomma!” Minhyun called, “Make Himchan Oppa really pretty please?”

“Yeah, I want to see Himchan Oppa all prettied up as well,” Ren was smiling, “We’re going to see if we can find him a courtier who’ll sweep him off his feet so no turning up for a while okay?”

Key laughed, “Run along little blossoms and remember your manners Ren, no being rude to anyone tonight and Minhyun remember to talk to at least some others even though I know you’re besotted with your Silk Merchant.”

Cute giggles were the reply and Key shook his head before pushing Himchan into the bathing room and placing Taemin into the waiting arms of one of the maids. “Now stop looking so flustered and worried, it’s not becoming on you in the slightest,” the matron of the house playfully fussed as he started to undress Himchan from his plain cotton robe of green to place it to the side, “Let’s turn you into the Bride that everyone will want tonight.”

Himchan allowed himself to be guided into the water though he felt as he were in some kind of daze and barely noted anything that was going on around him for the longest while. He thought back to all the times that he was pushed aside and ignored because he was plain, boring and would always amount to nothing. He barely noticed that he was cleaned in fine sweet smelling oils and that his hair was combed back into a simple traditional plat that looped from the top of this head and then down to be clasped off with an intricate butterfly pin.

Light makeup was applied to merely highlight his fine complexion and cheekbones, rather than give a made up appearance and Key whispered sweet words to him in order to help him calm down. He only really snapped out of his self-critical world of thought when he found himself in front of a mirror to be appraised properly and found a slight gasp of surprise. He had been dressed in a very expensive, very fine but refined and subtle hanbok. It consisted of a long coral pink skirt that seemed to flow straight down from his shoulders all the way to the floor and a light lime green top which had pastel coloured sleeves in a series of white, cream coral and line green blocks that did not become gaudy and a dark brown silk ribbon was used to seal the top. He bore no jewellery other than the aforementioned hairpin but he found that if he had been it would have been just a little too much.

Key smiled at him before frowning for just a second and then picked up a large white daisy hairpin which he set just behind Himchan’s left ear so that it rested here naturally and nodded. “There is a butterfly like no other tonight,” gently he placed a kiss on his forehead, “Come Himchan, let’s make the world be your oyster.”

Stealing a quick glance back into the mirror, Himchan did not know what to do or expect but he found the beginning of a smile forming on his lips as he turned to shyly follow Key out of the room. He honestly did not know if he was even remotely heading in the right direction but if Key believed in him then he would choose to believe in himself, if just for tonight. 

 

authors babbling: yeah, Himchannie really needs to believe that he is as beautiful as he is. for those curious, here is Himchan's current hanbok as worn by the lovely IU (his hair is very similar in style too):

and there are too many Jonghyun's in Kpop! They're almost as bad as Kibum's lol 

But yes, triple update tonight purely for the fact that I'm going on holiday for a week and then life is going to be rather busy so I don't quite know when I'll get around to getting caught back up on stuff but I will manage it cause I love this fic too much to not finish it and it's fun getting to work out all the bits that I missed the first time around. The next chapter will be the Butterfly Ball and it should prove to be very fun indeed. Anyways I'll see you all later, please comment and tell me what you think and if anyone has any ideas for future hanbok's for Himchan to wear - cause he's going to have tons in this fic I promise you - please give me links or pictures

Bye for now

Chia 

PS baby Taemin is freaking adorable