Chapter Ten: Special Friends

Finding Love... Keeping Love

 

On the TV…

 

Travis just lost the swimming race.  Jasmine is with him near the lake in a secluded area.

 

Travis: …after natalo ako, tinalikuran ko sa mga kaibigan ko sa team.

 

Jasmine: (faces Gerald) may kaibigan ka pa man eh… ako

 

Travis: ( Jasmine’s face) Sana matutunan ko mahalin. Hindi friendship lang.

 

Jasmine: Alam mo natutunan din naman kita mahalin eh... kaya lang

 

Travis: Ano? Anong sinabi mo?

 

Jasmine: Wala.  na magkaibigan tayo

 

Travis: Hindi yon ang sinabi mo. Jasmine, sinabi mo natutunan mo mahalin ko. Sinabi mo yon… Jasmine, I want to hear it again. Sabihin mo sa akin ang totoo. Mahal mo ako di ba? Di ba Jasmine?

 

Jasmine:  (nods her head) oo. Mahal kita Travis.

 

 

Kim: I’m dying over here!!  You have to love young love! 

 

Gerald: (looking over at Kim) Sana matutunan ko mahalin. Hindi friendship lang.

 

Kim: Pretty good Gerald.  You would make a good Travis.

 

Gerald: And you would be my Jasmine. (softly)

 

Kim: What did you say?

 

Gerald: Nothing.  You really think I would make a good Travis?  I think you would make a great Jasmine.  But there’s a problem.

 

Kim: That’s messed up.  What’s my problem that I could not be Jasmine? (pushing him laughing)

 

Gerald: (looking seriously into Kim’s eyes) You are much more beautiful than Jasmine.

 

Kim: oh. (thought – I think I am going to die!)

 

Gerald: I don’t know what it is Kim but when I am with you, everything seems much more brighter, more fun, more serious, more real… I want to see where our friendship takes us. I know we’ve known each other for a short time but I always want to be with you.  I know that you feel something too. Do you want to see where this takes us?

 

Kim: (quiet for a long time)

 

Gerald: We don’t have to commit to anything right now and we don’t have to talk about it right now but I wanted you to know what I was feeling before I lose the opportunity. And if I am wrong and you don’t feel something for me, tell me to shut up and I’ll go home as long as you promise that this conversation never happened.

 

Kim: Gerald, no, you are not wrong. 

 

Gerald looks up with a huge smile on his face…

 

Kim: Gerald, I just don’t want to rush things.  This is a little bit scary. And there is something you should know about me. 

 

Gerald: I know this is scary.  I never believed in love at first sight until I saw you. But these past two days just confirmed everything else.

 

Kim: Love at first sight.  Who knew?  But Gerald, like I said, I don’t want to rush things.  I’m scared because I don’t want this to end up being a rebound relationship. (under her breath - though I doubt it)

 

Gerald: Rebound?

 

Kim: Over the summer, I met this guy at a family party. We hit it off and had a great summer together hanging out. Mid summer, he asked me to be his girlfriend.  I said yes.  It was great for a short while. And then, when I was about to return for the school year, he went Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde on me.  He became this mean, extremely jealous, not so fun guy. Towards the end, I was hiding from him after I broke it off.  I actually thankful that I never shown him where I lived here.  I know eventually I’ll see him again at a family party but I’m hoping things will cool down before then.  I still get emails from him and he calls my phone all the time.  We are down to about one phone call every other day so I think it is getting better.  I just don’t respond. So… I want to make sure that none of us gets hurt in the process. So friends for now?

 

Gerald:  Wow.  I can’t believe you went through all of that.  However, I’m glad that you are no longer with the a**hole. His loss and my gain.  (smiles) I’m here for you and if you want to be friends for now, I’m fine with that. I’ll wait until you are ready for however long that takes.  Special friends?

 

Kim: Special friends. (shakes his hand)

 

Gerald: (pulls her closer into a hug) I’ll shake your hand but I’d rather hug you close.  (Gerald kisses the top of Kim’s head)