New Friendship

Are You the One?

Daiki's POV:

Finally, I reach Hinata's apartment.
I run up the stairs, too impatient to wait for the elevator .
I knock on her door but there is no answer.
I try the handle and the door opens.
I run inside panting, and then I look through the rooms but find Hinata no where.
I go into the living room where the tv is on but no lights.
I walk in further.

"Hinata? Are you in here?" I call out.

Then I stop in my tracks.
Yuto and Hinata are sleeping together on the couch; both leaning against each other. My jaws drop and I freeze up...

Yuto's POV:

I wake from the vicious shaking of my shoulder.
Opening my eyes, I make out the face of my best friend, Daiki.
Before I can ask him what he's doing here, I notice that he looks angry.
Really angry.

"Daiki - ?"

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

Hinata jumps awake, and I suddenly realize that we had changed positions while we slept.
We were both lying down on each other, and somehow, my arms had wrapped around her sleeping form.
Blushing hard, I sit up.
Hinata does the same.

"Daiki?" she bats the sleep out of her eyes and squints at him. "What are you doing here?"

Daiki still looks really angry.
He turns to me.

"You still haven't answered my question," he growls. "What are you doing here, and what were you two doing?!"

I see Ayumi open the door and crouch over, huffing in exhaustion.

"Daiki....Calm down....Oh, gosh, you sure can run fast......" She wipes her forehead and huffs some more.

"Nothing happened, Daiki," Hinata reasons with him. "Since we found out that Yuto was our neighbour, we decided to spend some time together and eat cake." She points to the empty plates with cake crumbs on them. "Sometime while waiting for Ayumi to return with some things from the convenience store, we fell asleep."

But Daiki doesn't look like he believes her.
Uh oh, I think as he turns his vicious gaze on me.
If glares could kill, I would've died by now,
Suddenly, he grabs my shirt so fast I can barely make out how he did it.
Pulling me up, he drags me towards the door and shoves me out.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" he yells at me.

Before I can register the awkward use of Daiki's words in my head, he slams the door in my face.

Hinata's POV:

Why the heck is Daiki acting like this?
I watch as he slams the door in Yuto's alarmed face.
I've never seen this side of Daiki before.

"Daiki...?" I say uncertainly, peering over at his back.

He still hadn't turned to face me yet.

"What was that about?" I ask.

Sighing, he turns to me and sits on the couch beside me.
Then, surprisingly, he wraps his arms around me and lays my head on his chest.
I can feel the rapid beat of his heartbeat on my cheek.
Why...

"Don't scare me like that again," he whispers.

I look up at him and my eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"Why would that scare you?" I ask him. "I was only with Yuto."

He sighs and stands. Looking away and walking to the door, he says,

"That's what scared me."

And he closes the door behind him.

Ayumi's POV:

I can't seem to look at Hinata anymore.
Right when I was watching Daiki hug Hinata and talk to her, I became certain of two things:
Daiki was in love with Hinata and she didn't know it.

Pain and jealousy wracks my body from the inside.
Even though I hate myself for admitting it, I blame some of this on HInata, though it can't be her fault.
She doesn't know what I can't tell her.

 

"Good Night, Ayumi," I hear her call sleepily from the other room across from mine. 

I can't bring myself to say it back.
Before i even know it, I begin to hate my best friend.

Hinata's POV:

It's the next day and I can't wait to walk around Tokyo!
It's our second day here, and there's still so much to see!
I step in the shower, feeling the water pound soothingly on my back while I recall the other night's events.
Yuto's laughing face shows up in my mind and I smile.
That was such a nice time we had yesterday, I think. I hope I see him soon.

When my shower is over, I change into a bright purple top and jean shorts.

"Ayumi!" I call, knocking on her bedroom door. "Get your out of bed!"

When I don't hear her response, I push the door open and look inside.
Ayumi's bed is made and a little letter is planted on her pillow.
Curiously, I pick it up.

Hinata, I read. Went out to sightsee. Be back soon. -Ayumi.

Why did she leave without me?
Shrugging, I open the fridge, stuff a piece of bread in my mouth, grab my purse and leave.

~A half hour later~

I guess it's kind of typical of me that I head to the city bakery firsthand.
But who can blame a girl for having a sweet tooth?
Just as I'm eyeing the specials, I catch the smell of my most favourite fruit of all: strawberries.
Right next to a basket of maple cookies sit a petite strawberry tart, wrapped in decorative plastic.
My stomach growls.
Reaching for it hungrily, my hand brushes against someone else's.
I look up at the face of Yamada Ryousuke.

Ryousuke's POV:

"Ryousuke," Yuri says to me this morning. "I forgot to tell you - there's was a load of strawberry treats at the bakery the beginning of this week."

I turn to him, eyebrows raised, mouth open in frustration.

"But today's Sunday! How do you expect that there will still be some leftover?" I ask him.

Chinen just shrugs and flips through some more channels on the TV.

"Not my problem," he says, then gets up and stretches.

Walking past me and bumping me on the shoulder, he says, "Good luck finding any."

I rushed to the bakery as soon as I heard that, making sure to slap on a disguise before I left.

~10 minutes later~

Now, at the bakery, I breathe in the scent of chocolate, cinnamon, ginger and - best of all - strawberries.
It's always been my favourite.
Looking around for any of my favoured treats, my eyes catch on to something.
A strawberry tart.
It's small, delicate and prettily decorated - and it's the last one there.
Reaching for it, I see that there is already a hand on it.
Too late, I brush my hand against it.
Readying myself for another screaming fan on my hands, I look up to see that the person I am looking a is Daiki's childhood friend, Hinata-san.

Hinata's POV:

My mouth drops open in surprise.

"Yamada-kun..?" I say, alarmed. "What are you doing here?"

He smiles at me.

"You're Hinata-san, right?" he asks me. "I'm here for the strawberry tart. Strawberries are my favourite fruit."

"Really? They're mine, too!" I say, and we laugh together.

"Would you like to have it?" he asks.

"Oh, no, I couldn't, you were here first," I tell him.

"Technically, we reached for it at the same time. So we were both here first," he states. 

We stand awkwardly, each of us having a hand on the treat.

"Tell you what," I say. "How about we make a compromise? We buy it together and we share the tart."

"Sounds like a plan," he agrees, and we take the treat to the counter.

Five minutes later, we're sitting on a park bench and eating a share of the tart that we had bought. 
Ryousuke's easy to talk to and he has an easy, likable personality.

"So, what have you been up to since you've been in Tokyo?" he asks me, taking another bite of his half.

"Hmm..well, yesterday, we went to JE, as you know, and today, I was planning to sightsee with Ayumi, but she wasn't here in the morning."

Suddenly Ryousuke blushes.

"What?" I ask. "Why are you pink?"

He blushes harder, and then shakes his head.

"It's nothing."

And then I have an idea.

"Ayumi-chan!" I say, motioning to the air behind Yamada. "How did you get here?"

Ryousuke's eyes grow alarmed and he grows red and pushes his hat down, biting down on his lip.

"A-ha!" I say, making him jump. "Why are you so jumpy when I talk about Ayumi?"

Raising his eyebrows, he looks behind him at a passing old lady.

"Whaddaya want?!" she demands, waving her cane at him angrily.

"N-nothing," Ryousuke stammers, and turns around quickly.

"So?" I say, giggling.

He takes a deep breath and covers his red face with his hands.

"Fine, I'll say it," he says, then peeks out at me from behind his fingers. "I...I think I like your friend, Ayumi."

I squeal and he shushes me.

"You have to promise me you won't tell her!" he says quickly.

I pout.

"...but I could use some help on getting to know her better," he finishes.

I brighten up.

"Okay!" I chirp. "But first, I have to teach you some things about what she likes in a guy."

Ryousuke nods his head and sets his jaw.

"I'm ready!"

Yuto's POV:

Wow, Chisato is really enthusiastic today, I think as I lead her through the many stores in the shopping mall.
She's buying up everything she sets her eyes on.
I struggle in carrying her bags.

"Yuto, you lazy ! Hurry! There's a sale in this store!" she yells cheerily.

I suppress a groan.
I've been following her around practically all day.
Why did her father have to give her her allowance today? I ask myself.
Ugh, I need to get away from here.

"Chisato!" I say to her as I catch up.

"Mmhmm?" she asks.

She's eyeing a pink skirt on one of the racks.

"Um, I need to go the bathroom," I make up a lie.

She turns around and faces me, cheeks rosey and eyes big.

"Ok, but hurry back!" she says, planting a kiss on my mouth.

"Ok," I answer, set her bags down on a bench, wipe my lips, and hurry away. 

As I pass by the bakery, a thought occurs to me.
I think about the day before, when I was eating strawberry cake with Hinata.
A bubble of happiness sets inside of me.
She said that she loves strawberries, I think. Maybe I could buy her something here.

Before I touch the door handle, I see a familiar figure through the glass pane.
I squint my eyes.
Is that...?

The girl turns around and Hinata's beautiful face is shown to me.
Butterflies take flight in my stomach.
While I plan how I go up to her (going in and saying "Hi" or bumping into her and saying "Oh, what a coincidence!") when I see another familiar person standing beside her, smiling and touching her hand. 
Is that..Ryousuke?
I watch silently as they
buy the tart and head for the door.
Quickly, I hide in the alley beside the store.
I watch as they talk and laugh as they walk out the door.
A sharp pain pierces my heart.
Does she act like this with every guy? Why do I feel pain in my heart? I think.
I decide to follow them.

As they walk to the park, I see a familiar dark figure hiding behind a tree, watching them.
I sneak up behind this guy, thinking he's a ert, ready to take him on.
Suddenly, the man turns around.

"What? Why are you here, _________?!"

 

                               Find out in the next chapter who Yuto finds!
                     Sorry for the other cliffhanger!! PLEASE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE !!!
                 PS: Hope you like this new arrogant Yuri!! He'll be showing up more in this fanfiction, so keep reading!! <33