I'm Home

Where Are You Now (that I need you)?

 

 

 

 

 

 

California, Oh Corp. Main Building, 13.45

 

 

 

 

“Is that true, Mr. Yang?”

 

 

 

The middle-aged man gulped visibly at the intense gaze he was receiving and nobody dared speak a word. Nobody was allowed to do basically anything in the meeting room except follow the rules of Oh Corp.

 

 

 

“Sir, it… we… all of us… had no other choice. We were trying very hard not to accept the contract but your mother…”

 

 

 

“My mother forced you to do it, to agree with the arrangement. Is that what are you trying to say?”

 

 

The man nodded feverishly, feeling beads of sweat rolling off his forehead like rain. Sehun’s gaze was blank but that expressionless face is worst than anything. No one had ever seen Sehun lash out during work hours but that kind of poker face is enough to send employees running to the end of the world.

 

 

“So it is true, then? The merging contract with Media Inc.?” Sehun had asked with such tone that made everyone in the room felt like they’re standing in the gates of hell.

Mr. Yang stuttered an unmanly squeak of ‘yes’.

 

 

Sehun’s eyes darkened, “you should have objected to it, even if she’s my mother! Cancel the contract! I don’t need that ing company anyway.”

 

 

“We are very sorry, sir. There’s nothing we can do. The other party had already agreed to the terms and if you cancel, you would be dropped off the position as the CEO. I promise that this won’t happen again!”

 

 

 

“Won’t happen again? “ Sehun had quirked an eyebrow. “That contract had clearly stated that the merging would proceed only if I get married to their heir which is happening in 3 months. You say this won’t happen again in the future?! What would probably happen? I would have been married by the time, it’ll be too late!” the young CEO roared.

 

 

“If I got married to Min Eunjung  this year because of this stupid contract, everyone here will be fired!”

His voice echoed in the large meeting room and everyone held their breaths in fear that every single thing could cause the CEO’s temper to rise. Oh Sehun is a nice and patient boss with a great respect for his employees, but sometimes a person has their own limits and everyone is trying to cross his line.

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

5 days, Luhan thought to herself. This is the longest Sehun had been away for a holiday and Luhan doesn’t think that this is just a mere escapade. There were no phone calls or text messages from the said male and honestly, Luhan is way more worried than annoyed by his antics.

 

The office was busy as always even when the CEO is gone. Kyungsoo seemed a bit off these few days and she didn’t want to tell Luhan anything about it. The only thing drastic about Luhan’s life is the work load. Sehun wasn’t kidding when he said that Luhan would be in charge when he’s not around. Not only did she need to finish her daily reports as the secretary, but signing load of paperwork from the staffs are now included in her job as the temporary CEO. Her work hours increased and she needed a pay raise for this additional tasks.

 

 

It was around 3 in the afternoon that day when the cycle of stressful work hour changed.

 

“Can I have your time for a moment, Miss Luhan?”

 

 

The secretary looks up and found a grinning Chanyeol leaning against her cubicle. “What brings a busy CEO like you here, Mr. Park?” she playfully answered.

 

 

Chanyeol shrugged, “I do need to talk to you. Mind sparing some time for a coffee down the street?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

So that was how Luhan ended up lazing around the café while drinking a cup of iced coffee courtesy of CEO Park. Chanyeol seemed to be enjoying the relaxing atmosphere as much as Luhan did.

“Tell me, Chanyeol.”

 

 

 

“Tell you what?”

 

 

 

“You wouldn’t ask me out for just a coffee without something important to talk about. Especially you have a very protective girlfriend and you would never want to test her patience by going out with another female…”

 

 

 

The man nodded proudly, “As expected from Oh Sehun’s PA, smart and cunning as always. Well, indeed I’m here to have a chat about my friend here.”

 

 

“Sehun?”

 

Chanyeol slurped his caramel macchiato noisily while nodding his head. He could hear Luhan scoffing discreetly at the reply.

 

 

“I know you’re probably wondering why I’m talking about that idiot but you’ll thank me for this. But first, I need to ask you a few questions. Does Sehun’s mother visit you in the last few days?”

 

 

“Yep, every single day.”

 

 

 

“Does she ask anything regarding Sehun and you?”

 

 

“You are good at guessing, aren’t you?”

 

Chanyeol look bewildered by the answer, “she asked you about that?”

 

 

“Frankly speaking, yes. She asked if I know where he lives or what he love to eat, even to the extent of asking about our relationship. And I still hate Sehun for leaving his mother of a satan here. I mean, I would really appreciate it if he could just stop being a coward and face his mom.” Luhan shrugged and went back to sipping her drink.

 

 

The tall man could only nod understandingly. “You see, there is always a reason for Sehun’s unannounced trip. He just doesn’t tell you that… And sometimes, those trips can’t wait.”

 

Luhan looked curious and asked Chanyeol to continue.

 

 

“There come huge responsibilities as a person who holds the position of a CEO. That forces Sehun to go on endless business trips across the globe even when he feels like dying. So yeah, he isn't having holiday but travel for work purposes only.”

 

 

Both of them had come to a total silence with only the café’s jazz song playing in the background. Chanyeol was scared. Well, he did spill Sehun’s secret and that guy would probably murder him when he gets back. On the other hand, Luhan’s lack of reaction is creeping him out. What if she thinks that he is joking around?

Reality downs on Luhan a few minutes after Chanyeol finished. “Business trips?! I never heard any of that from him… he would only say that it’s his vacation or something. All this time he’s lying to me?”

 

 

 “Not exactly, he spoke the truth about the destination and location. He even visited tourism sites if he has time and buy souvenirs for you. But he needs to finish his original tasks and make sure his company is running well overseas. Oh Corp is everywhere, you know.”

 

 

Luhan bit her lower lip, seeming unable to accept the truth. “But he acts like he doesn’t give a single care about the company every time of the day…”

 

 

Chanyeol sighed tiredly, “That’s what Sehun wants everyone to think. He wants everyone to know that he is a lively young boy, happy-go-lucky young man who would do anything while he’s still young. Sehun wants everyone to see that he is just a child so that his business opponent would never see him coming with full stride and bring others’ company down.”

 

 

 

Luhan didn’t know if she should listen more or just leave the place. “So, all this time, he would act nonchalant and carefree in front of me and all of that is just a show?”

 

 

Chanyeol quickly shook his head to deny the assumption. “Sehun could never fake himself whenever you’re around. In fact, Sehun could only be himself when he’s with you.  You guys had been friends for a few years now and he found comfort in you. Sehun is still a child at heart that people forced to grow up. He only tells you when he’s sick and he didn’t even tell me even when I’m his best friend. He nags in front of you when he’s tired because he only trusts you.”

 

 

 

Luhan’s heart swells at every word Chanyeol said. “But why didn’t he tell me anything? I’m supposed to be his secretary and we should go on business trips together.”

 

 

This time, Chanyeol smiled. “Why don’t you ask him yourself?”

 

 

 

----

 

 

 

 

It had been exactly 10 minutes since Luhan left the café in a rush as her co-worker demanded her presence for a weekly meeting. Chanyeol was left alone in the café with nothing to do because unlike Sehun, Chanyeol preferred to let his brother-in-law finish his jobs. Yura often scold him for making her husband do all the work but Chanyeol couldn’t care less.

 

 

While he was busy replying Baekhyun’s text messages, Chanyeol’s phone vibrated uncontrollably in his hands. The inevitable phone call is finally here.

“Hello, Park Chanyeol speaking.”

 

 

 

“Why the hell are you with Luhan during work hours?”

 

 

 

“I’m glad that my best friend finally calls me. Miss me that much?”

 

 

 

There was an exasperated sigh on the other line, “Chanyeol, don’t play around.Why. Is. My. Secretary. Drinking. Coffee. With. You?”

 

 

 

Chanyeol chuckled at the demanding voice. He decided that playing around with Sehun would be fun enough. “Oh, Luhan looked stressed so I asked her out for coffee together… She looks quite relaxed.”

 

 

“I know she likes coffee, yeol. Stop with your stupid chatter and answer me! Why in the world is my Luhan sitting in a café with you, looking like a depressed ?”

 

 

The taller scoffed out loud, “since when does Luhan become yours? Wait, have you been following us? Are you even in California? Because I have a feeling that you’re wondering around in South Korea as in right now…”

 

 

Sehun was quiet on the other line and didn’t answer for a minute with murmurs of someone talking at the background. “Thank you, Jonghyun. You are dismissed.”

 

“Who the hell is Jonghyun?” Chanyeol quipped.

 

 

“Well, I did ask someone to acquire information for me and that person happened to be a person named Jonghyun.”

 

 

“You hired a stalker,” Chanyeol deadpanned, looking unamused.

 

 

”It’s for Luhan’s safety.”

 

 

 

“Okay, I don’t need to know why you asked someone to follow her around but I want to give you heads up, I told Luhan about your so-called vacation trips.”

 

 

Chanyeol could imagine that Sehun would be rubbing his forehead in an annoyed manner. “Chanyeol, why the would you do that?!”

 

 

 

“I did tell you that I’m not letting anyone marry you except Luhan. You can thank me later with a new Maserati. Baekhyun ruined my car handle, can you imagine that. Wait, Sehun? Are you listening?  Hey, Oh Sehun! How dare you hung up on me?!”

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

 

Luhan stared at her phone on the table with uncertainty. Biting her fingernails, she contemplated whether to call him or not.

 

Her right hand hovered over the phone but then she retracted her hand back again for the umpteenth time that night. She was now in Sehun’s office doing completely nothing but boring holes at her phone with her gaze. She leaned back to Sehun’s office chair and stare at the ceilings for a moment. It’s already 9 pm but she still couldn’t find the courage to call.

 

 

“You can do this, Luhan. It isn’t like you’re going to die anyway. What are you scared of? Oh Sehun is as harmless as a toothless baby. You just need to clarify something, not do a crime…” she murmured to herself.

With the last surge of courage, Luhan leaned forward and grabbed her phone, dialing the number she remembered by heart. Not 5 seconds had passed, the call was already answered.

 

“Hey Lu,” Sehun greeted cheerfully.

 

 

 

“Hi,” was the awkward reply Luhan managed to utter in her panic attack.

 

 

 

Did you miss me? I didn’t have time to call or message you for the last 5 days. Is there any problem?”

 

 

 

“Uhhh… How do I say this? I want to clarify something regarding… your trips.” Luhan twisted her seat to view the night city lights to distract herself.

 

 

The other line sighed and Luhan feel like biting her fingernails again. “Chanyeol told you, didn’t he?”

 

 

 

Luhan had answered softly, “Yes, he did.” Whenever she thought about it, Luhan couldn’t stop wondering about what Sehun had to go through every single day without sharing the burden with anyone else. “Why didn’t you tell me about the business trips?” she pried.

 

 

Sehun chuckled from the other line and Luhan admitted that she missed that voice so much, “I don’t wanna make you worry.”

 

 

“I don’t think that it’s the only reason, Sehun.”

 

 

I’ll explain everything later.” Sehun’s voice sounded so strained that Luhan felt like comforting him in a tight hug.

 

 

 

“How have you been?” she asked to divert the topic.

 

 

“Tired. Hadn’t had any good night sleep since the first day.” Sehun spoke slowly.

 

That seemed to alarm Luhan. She didn’t even check the time difference and had to call because of her curiosity. “Am I disturbing your sleep? is it night time in California? Should I call you other time then?”

 

 

The line went terribly silent and Luhan could hear her own hear beating loudly.

 

“Turn around.”

 

 

Luhan was confused but she turned the chair she was sitting on slowly like ordered. Right in front of her eyes, Oh Sehun stood tall clad in his fitting black and white suit with a phone stuck next to his ear.

 


“I’m home, Luhan.”

 

 

 

That was the first time Sehun had looked so vulnerable. His hair was in disarray, dark eye bags decorating his pale face. He was smiling but he looked so sad. Sehun doesn’t show his fragile state to anyone but Luhan might be an exception. Luhan had always been his only exception.

 

 

 

“Welcome home, Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

okay, now that the truth is out, what do you think of the real sehun? ahhhahahhah anyway, i updated a day earlier yay

I need to say thank you to anyone who reads this story of mine, thank you everyone for subscribing i love all of you!! the upvotes and comments makes me cry in happiness, thank you for the support

on the other note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BABY BAEKHYUNNNNNN