Interlude I : 6 Years Ago

Where Are You Now (that I need you)?

 

 

 

 

6 years ago…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Sehun, can we go to the arcade now?”

 

 

“No.”

 

 

“What about the ice cream shop downtown?”

 

 

“No.”

 

 

“The coffee shop isn’t that bad too. You like coffee right?”

 

Sehun looked up from his book and gave Chanyeol a bored and judging stare instead of screaming at the taller male that there will be an exam tomorrow. But Park Chanyeol never studies anyway.

 

“Look, Chanyeol, sorry to ruin your fun but I need to do something more important than having nonsense childish escapade. Both of us need to study for tomorrow and I’m not going to put my grades on the line just for a few minutes of entertainment.” 

 

Clucking his tongue, Chanyeol rolled his eyes and used his own book as a pillow. The campus’ garden had become the duo’s favorite hangout area ever since they found it. The shades of trees were perfect, wooden tables and long chairs are also provided by the university and not to mention the clean air that is difficult to obtain in the dense city.

 

“If it weren’t for that little Chinese bumpkin you wouldn’t be this nerdy and got stuck with your book all day,” Chanyeol whined loudly. “Where is my old Sehun?”

 

This time, Sehun slammed his book closed and managed to scare the hell out of his best friend. With rage, the younger male squint his eyes menacingly. “Say that one more time about Luhan and I swear I’ll cut your fingers one by one and feed it to your family members. I’ll slit your neck with thin paper and let you feel the pain before dying. I’ll even stab you with a toothpick if I have to. Do I make myself clear?”

 

Chanyeol nodded franticly and gulped his saliva with so much difficulty.

 

“Why do you hate her so much anyway? She even treats you better than me.”

 

 

“She is stealing you from me, dude. No offense. ” The taller sulked like a kid and it was Sehun’s turn to roll his eyes. Sehun collected his scattered books on the table and randomly placed it in his bag.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

 

The younger absentmindedly answered, “gonna find Luhan in the library. She can teach me some stuff.”

 

 

 

Chanyeol rested his chin on his palm and stare at how fast Sehun’s hand was working. “Why would the smartest guy in campus ask for some help? You can just say that you like her and you’re trying to make her like you back. That isn’t hard to say, dumbhead. Don’t forget to pretend that you’re not a genius.”

 

 

Zipping his bag, Sehun grinned and saluted Chanyeol before running to the main building. Chanyeol dismissed him with a wave of his hand. With a very very very very deep and long sigh, Chanyeol rested his head again on the table to kill his boredom and maybe get some sleep because the soccer match last night.

 

Sehun is lucky that he met Luhan, almost everyone can see how whipped he is. At least that way he had other thing to talk about other than his demon of a mother. And also, Luhan is a great friend for the lonely guy who had nothing to do after lessons had ended. Chanyeol wished he had met someone like Luhan so that he won’t need to go home this early and face his mom’s endless rant about getting engaged and .

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Excuse me…”

 

 

Chanyeol straightened himself and stretched his body after almost falling asleep at the garden. His neck is a little sore after resting it on the hard table but that is the least of his concern now. He opened his eyes to see a young teenage girl, black hair tied into a ponytail, adorned with crop top and ripped blue jeans with a pair of worn out red converse to complete her youthful look. Her skin is pale, lips a little chapped and panting quite harshly. And on top of it all, she looks kinda familiar.

 

“Do you perhaps know Oh Sehun?” she asked between her heavy breaths.

 

 

Flabbergasted, Chanyeol could only nod at the female’s frankness. The girl heaved a relieved sigh and tried to calm her beating heart.

 

 

 

“Where can I find him?” she demanded.

 

 

“Woah, slow down there tiger. Why would you need to know that? Do you even know who I am? Don’t mean to be rude but I can’t just spoil some information to a total stranger that happens to know a name. An introduction will be much appreciated.”

 

The girl grumbled before answering. “If that makes you satisfies, I’ll answer then. Full name Park Chanyeol, Park Yura’s younger sibling, the second child of the Park family, the heir to your family’s business, Oh Sehun’s best friend, Byun Baekhyun’s future fiancé. Is that enough for you?”

 

 

Chanyeol widened his eyes and unknowingly dropped his jaw, “wait... WHO THE HELL IS BYUN BAEKHYUN?! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! DID MY MOM ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY?! SHIITTTT!”

 

 

 

The teenager huffed, “to think that you can help me find Sehun.”

 

 

 

“Who the hell are you?” Chanyeol finally murmured after his sudden mental breakdown.

 

 

 

“Look, my father is involved in this kind of business as your family do. But that’s not important right now, I just need to find Sehun.”

 

 

 

She looked way too familiar but Chanyeol can’t pinpoint a certain place that they met or specific name to that young girl. She looked quiet young but her she’s too tall for a middle-school student, maybe 17 or 18 years old. But her demeanor was far from how a teenager should act, strict and almost demanding. There’s also an almost unnoticeable accent in her speech but doesn’t sound strange at all.

 

 

“I still can’t move on from the fact that my mom is trying to tie me up with a girl I don’t even know…” Chanyeol dumbly replied, head still spinning around from the news. “Sorry but I’m not in the right mind to answer your questions. Maybe some other time.”

 

 

The girl rolled her eyes and took a peek at her back. Suddenly, she widened her eyes and faced back to chat with Chanyeol.

“Just tell me where I can find Oh Sehun. Does he work somewhere?”

 

 

The tall male was having a meltdown and began hugging the bag to his chest, not acknowledging the teenager’s existence at all.  The teenage girl quickly made her way towards the older male and shook him by his shoulders.

“You just need to nod or shake your head while I ask the question. Does Sehun have a job?”

 

 

Chanyeol nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

“Does he work at your company?”

 

Chanyeol shook his head pathetically.

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh Corp?”

 

Again, Chanyeol nodded.

 

 

 

“Does Oh Sehun have classes tomorrow?”

A man shouting loudly in a distance interrupted the interrogation session and the girl clucked her tongue in anger. She saw the man who was clad in suits from before coming her way. She needed an answer right now.

 

 

“Let me ask again, does Sehun go to work tomorrow?”

 

The man in his daze state could only nod again, trying not to cry.

 

 

 

 

“Miss Zhang, please come back!” the man shouted from afar. The man, now followed with a few other younger men, closing in to the garden with quick strides and the girl smirked before thanking Chanyeol for his corporation, leaving in a dash right after that.

 

 

 

Hmmmm, Zhang? Sounds quite familiar…
But that’s not important

HOW COULD MOM DO THIS TO ME? I’M SUPPOSED TO BE ENJOYING MY YOUTHHHH! I’M TWENTY TWO FOR GOODNESS SAKE! I DON’T FREAKING NEED A BYUN BAEKWHO! I DON’T NEED A FIANCE!

 

 

 

 

----

 

 

 

 

Sehun is a busy young man.

His status as a college student isn’t as important as being an employee at Oh Corp. He will have to dedicate all his life to this company after he graduate and he isn’t going to let anyone think that he’s playing around just because he’s the heir.

 

Right now, he’s working as lowly-waged staff in the Accounting and Business administration department, calculating nonsense numbers without calculator and making daily reports to the annoying head chief (he’ll make sure to demote the idiot once he has the power). None of them knew about his status of being the future CEO and Sehun was really thankful for the confidential identity his grandfather had set.

 

 

There are no classes today and Oh Sehun is very stressed since he couldn’t meet the love of his life in campus. Not only that, the head department is throwing his usual tantrum with all the employees, which irked the young man to no end. At least Chanyeol isn’t around to worsen his day.

 

 

“Oh Sehooonnn,” a co-worker sang right outside Sehun’s cubicle. “There’s a pretty girl who wants to meet you!”

 

“Really?!”

Be it Luhan, be it Luhan, let it be Luhan, Luhan, Luhan. Please let it be Luhan

 

 

“Are you dating a high school student?”

 

 

 

It’s not Luhan…

“Who is it?” Sehun asked while pushing himself up from his chair.

 

 

“She didn’t say… Why don’t you find out yourself? She’s waiting in the cafeteria.”

 

 

 

 

 

And so Sehun found himself gaping at the girl sitting right in front of him who was sipping an expensive cup of Starbucks coffee without a single care in the world. No, it wasn’t Luhan who came to Sehun’s dismay.

 

 

“Uhm, I don’t mean to be rude but why are you here again?” Sehun asked again because unfortunately she didn’t hear the first time he asked.

 

The teenage girl placed her cup on the table and finally paid her full attention to Sehun.
“I’m sorry but I needed to talk to you face to face.”

 

“Yixing, did you tell your father about this, I mean, your visit here?”

 

 

“He wouldn’t care anyway…”

 

 

Sehun felt like the whole world is on his shoulders. Uncle Zhang, his father and not to mention the Zhang household will kill him if they knew about Yixing’s sudden visit to the office, leaving the comfort of her home (and also her country) just to talk to him.

 

 

“Yixing,” Sehun called as he felt the stress building up in his head. “Is it about our engagement?”

 

 

 

Zhang Yixing stayed completely silent, eyes looking anywhere except Sehun’s. At least that’s a sign that his guess was correct.

“Is that why you’re here? To cancel the engagement?”

 

The girl sighed. “I’m sorry. It’s not like I don’t like you or anything, it’s just…, hard for me. It’s been two years since we’re engaged and you have been treating me so nicely but I still can’t find it in me to proceed with the whole getting married thingy.”

 

“Yixing…”

 

 

“Your mother said that the wedding will be arranged to an earlier date and I’m not ready,” Yixing was at the verge of tears. “I know its my responsibility as a daughter to follow my father’s wishes but I still want to enjoy my life before I turn twenty.”

 

Sehun was listening intently with a soft smile on his face. With a hand supporting his chin, Sehun stared at her fondly and that stopped Yixing from rambling.

 

“Did I say something wrong?” the girl questioned.

 

 

“You have a crush, don’t you?”

 

 

Yixing’s face immediately turned pink at Sehun’s wild guess. She ducked her head and bit her lower lips. “I don’t have a crush on anyone!”

 

“Oh come on, teenage love is completely normal, I can’t blame you. You want to try dating that guy? Do I know this brat?” Sehun teased.

 

“I told you I didn’t have a crush on Yifan!”

 

Sehun laughed out loud and the teenage girl immediately slapped her own mouth countless of time.

 

“So it’s true that you have a crush, don’t be shy.” Sehun said, feeling that Yixing is about to get embarrassed even more. “I know Wu Yifan, he’s a nice fella. I can grant your wish but in return you need to chase that bastard.”

 

Yixing stare wide eyed at her current fiancé who, in a matter of seconds, will be her ex-fiancé. “Really?”

 

“First love happens only once. It might leave you good memories or a broken heart but that feeling of falling in love will last a lifetime.”

 

The girl was a little but unsure, “what about your mother? What about my dad?”

 

 

The guy waved his hand in dismissal easily. “I’ll handle that. All you need to do right now is focus on your life, have a little fun. I know your dad would not agree to a guy like Wu Yifan who has no business background or stuff like that but it’s worth the try. I know in the end you’ll be engaged to another rich and business-related person, but as I said before, first love only happens once. I don’t want you missing out on life.”

 

Sehun stood up from his seat after his mini speech and shoved his hands into his pocket. Yixing followed.
Both of them walked slowly towards the main entrance, Sehun with a relieved expression, Yixing with a heavy heart. Right next to the rotating door, they stopped.

 

“Looks like I’m gonna miss your pestering a lot,” Sehun said while ruffling the girl’s hair. “Go back to China, your mom must be worried sick.”

 

Yixing looked torn about something and stayed silent.

 

 

The young man patted her shoulder. “Hey, it’s alright. You’ve been like a sister I never had and I want you to be happy.”

 

The heir of the Zhang Empire was already crying when Sehun said that. She surprised the man with a tight hug which was returned gladly.

“I hope you meet a better man,” Sehun whispered.

 

“I doubt I will.” She murmured back.

 

 

Sehun broke the hug and ushered Yixing to go through the rotating door, “you’re free, for now.”
Yixing chuckled at that and waved to Sehun before exiting the building.

 

 

It was bittersweet. Sehun had always been nice to her and held a role as a brother. Maybe when they meet again everything will change but Yixing hopes that their relationship won’t.

 

 

 

Sehun waved again through the glass and motioned Yixing to ride the taxi. Once the cab she rode was far from sight Sehun smiled to himself. He searched for the phone in his pocket and dialed someone.

 

 

 

“Yo Chanyeol, I’m officially single! I’m going to Luhan’s place after work. Do you think I should bring some flower?”

 

 

 

As much as Sehun likes spending time with Yixing, being single again definitely feels awesome.

 

 

“Are you even dating someone?”

 

 

“Bro, Zhang Yixing. Ring a bell? You even came during our engagement party…”

 

 

 

“No wonder she’s so familiar. But aren't you going to be slaughtered by your mom?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

okey hi guys, i'm really really really really sorry for the super duper late update

i'm a coward for not updating and i apologize  *hides behind a stone*

(i was on a vacation trip with my family for almost a month and my head was out of it until now with no possible ideas to the story)

Thank you everyone for sticking up with the story and giving me encouragment throuhg the comments and i appreaciate every single thing you guys say in the comments section. I hope this chapter is enough...Once again i'm so sorry

this is the interlude to what happened in college, how Sehun (already) develops his crush on Luhan, How Yixing broke off her and Sehun's engagement (they were supposed to get married bla bla bla) and Sehun agreeing, and also how Chanyeol found out about Baek hahahahhaahahaha

 

^campus ground or sth hahahaha im sorry