Chapter 1

Queen of Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was my first day of school. I shyly took a look in the mirror and saw my reflection. I was wearing the appropriate uniform that consisted of a gray skirt, and blue button up shirt. I put my hair up in a ponytail, and added a gray bow on top. After looking at it again, I decided against it, and took off the bow while letting my hair free from the ponytail.

I looked at my reflection again, and nodded in approval. Right when I was about to leave my room, my phone started ringing. I answered after looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“_____! How’s my little child doing?” I heard my mother say.       

“Aish, I’m not little anymore! I’m a big girl now. But to answer your question, I’m doing fine. I just wish you were here with me.” I answered back softly.

“Same here _____. Hey, should I move there too?” She jokingly said.

“Ma! You know we can’t afford it. We could have never been able to afford me coming here. It’s because of that person paying for everything. And you wanted me to accept it and get the best education I can.”

“I know, I know. I just wish you weren’t there all by yourself. Especially because of your—”

“Mom! It’s okay. I’ll be fine. I’ll report everything that happens, and I’ll call you every day. Don’t worry. Even though you might not be here physically, I’ll try my hardest to at least make it seem like you are.” I said as I grabbed my backpack and went out the door.

There was a silent pause before my mom continued. “My poor daughter, what did I do for you to deserve this?” I could hear her silently weep.

“Mom, how many times do I have to say this? You and dad didn’t do anything! It just happened. And, no one could have predicted this. It’s unnatural, and shouldn’t be a thing, but it is. Once again, you are not to blame.” I said while making my way to school with my head hung low.

“I hope your dad in heaven could see you now,” she whispered.

“I’m sure he does,” I said with a sad smile.

“Well, enough taking your time. Go to school, eat well, and call me if anything happens. Or if you just want to hear my voice.” My mom told me.

“Of course. Bye mom. Love you.”

“Love you too,” she said before hanging up. I turned off my phone, and continued on my way.

Once I made it to school, I let out a shaky breath. The school was humongous with a tall gate for an entrance. The gate was a golden color, and next to the gate was a black box where the students needed to put in their ID. Good thing I got my school ID and schedule last week, or I would have been stuck waiting outside for who knows how long.

I quickly put my ID in the slot and heard a beep. The gates opened, and I quickly went inside wondering how my day will go.

I looked at my schedule and saw I had English first with Ms. Choi. After looking at the classroom number, I made my way to class. I arrived at my English classroom, and noticed there wasn’t a lot of people in the class. The most being about five people. I then made my way towards the teacher who was sitting down with her legs propped up on her desk.

Thank god the teacher’s female. If that person didn’t uphold the condition, I would have never have come here.  

I went up to Ms. Choi and gave her my schedule. She looked at me up and down, then started nodding her head.

“Go take a seat ______. Or would you like to introduce yourself to the class?” She said picking up a newspaper from her desk.

“N-No ma'am.” I said while walking towards an empty desk that was next to a girl with dark brown hair. I quietly took out a journal and pencil, and waited for the teacher’s instructions. When the bell rang to signal class, Ms. Choi said, “Class, the first half of this period will be self-study. The second half will be about grammar and where to put commas because majority of your papers put me in a comma coma.”

After she said that, the whole class erupted in conversations. I looked at Ms. Choi and it seemed like she didn’t mind. I then proceeded to doodle on my journal when the girl next to me tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey, you're new right?"

I nodded.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"_____." I replied with a small smile.

“______? That’s a pretty name.” The girl with the dark brown hair said. After taking a closer look at her, I noticed she was extremely pretty with flawless skin and an amazing smile.

“T-Thank you,” I said, not used to hearing compliments.

“My name is Sulli; it’s nice to meet you.” She said with a genuine smile.

“Nice to meet you, Sulli.” I said in a low voice.

We shook hands.

“You know something? You would look even prettier if you trimmed your bangs. Then people can see your eyes a bit better,” she said.

I quickly shook my head, “It’s better that way.”

She pouted and then shrugged. “If you say so. Anyways, do you want to hang out with me and my friends during lunch? What’s your schedule? I don’t know why and I don’t want to sound creepy, but I feel as we were supposed to meet, you know?”

I nodded shyly, and smiled a bit.

“So, friends?”

“Friends,” I said. “And I would love to have lunch with you and your friends.”

“Great! Now let me see your schedule! I hope we have classes together!” She said while I handed her my schedule.

“Bummer, we only have thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter