Chapter 8

Does it matter?

He was woken up in his deep slumber by an icy cold water getting splashed to his face, and he screamed at the sudden contact. He shot up from the bed and saw Jimin with a bucket and a pink apron on that was previously owned by Seokjin, looking at him in panic.

"Thank god you're not dead."

Jungkook blinked and turned his gaze to his pants with an obvious tent. What.

"I was in the kitchen and I heard you making noises and I thought you were having a nightmare so I needed to wake you up. Turns out you were just having a wet dream. Sorry for disturbing. "

Jungkook's face flushed red, what was that dream? Did Jimin hear him moan a name? Oh god, he prayed for the ground to just swallow him alive. He closed his eyes waiting for a miracle or zombies to attack his house and eat his brain out, but after few seconds of awkward silence, Jimin is still standing with a bucket on his hands, now with a smug look on his face that screams I won’t let you live this down.

He put the bucket down and covered his mouth in an attempt to stop himself from laughing, based on how his shoulders are shaking. "You were Jin-hyung’s name. I can't believe you. "

"GET OUT!! " He sent a pillow flying to Jimin's direction and the older male took that as a cue to leave the younger alone.

"Hurry up and take care of that. You'll be late!" Jimin said before he slammed the door shut.

He buried his face on his palm and blamed all his brother's collection.

-X-

If Jungkook thought that Jimin is kind enough to just forget what happened, then he'd never been so wrong in his whole entire life.

He didn't hear the end of Taehyung's laugh for the whole day. Starting in the morning when he walked out of his house with Jimin to walk to school and to the afternoon when he walked home with Eunseo.

"You're so gross and lame." Taehyung laughed so hard his face got stretched because of his smile. He looked dumb because of the metal on his teeth.

Eunseo raised an eyebrow but said nothing, and Jungkook was glad that she doesn't sniff her nose to his business.

"You talk like it never happened to you." Jungkook hissed, keeping the topic as vague as possible. He can't risk himself getting embarrassed in front of a girl.

"Well yeah but not as lame as you because unlike yours, mine is actually close to reality--"

"Oh god shut up." What does he even mean by ‘close to reality’? The only person that Taehyung makes physical contact with the most is Jimin and if he meant by—okay, never mind. He would rather not figure it out. He mentally slapped himself on the face because why are his friends so gay for each other. He’s not even sure if the two are aware that they act like a couple or if they’re actually a legit couple. Jungkook doesn’t really know because they never mentioned anything. He just knew that the two stick to each other like Velcro and it had been like that the moment Jungkook opened his eyes to the world. Also, he would like to take note that they’re extra clingy to each other when Jungkook is with them and it never failed to make him feel like a third wheel. They’re probably doing that on purpose just to annoy him.   

Taehyung is such a ing , Jungkook concluded. He'd embarrass and humiliate the poor innocent Jungkook because he had a wet dream about Seokjin until he grows old, and have a family of his own. Really, if he was Taehyung he wouldn't let this slide too. Though it doesn't change the fact that having an embarrassing wet dream about a boy five years older than you is not entirely socially acceptable and will bring shame on his family name. He's somewhat thankful that Taehyung and Jimin are taking this matter lightly and even found the decency to about it. So they're not entirely ty friends but Jungkook is stuck with them and it's a ty situation to be in.

He wondered if it's possible to change his name now and move to Iceland.

(Though Jimin, being a kind boy that he is reminded him that it’s normal for a boy in his age to have such dreams. It didn’t make him feel any better though, this is a dream about Seokjin. Not just some random .)

They walked a bit more and Eunseo excused herself saying that she'll drop by his grandmother's house in the town, so Jungkook was left with Taehyung alone to walk home. It's been a while, he thought. As much as he hated Taehyung right now due to the current events, he can't deny that he missed the older male. Sure, he saw Taehyung every day and they played for the same team in the current online shooting game that they have made themselves addicted to, but walking home with Taehyung is something that he doesn't have the luxury to do anymore. He's happy to hear the familiar squeaking of Taehyung's running shoes and his awkward tripping in thin air (in which Taehyung said it’s because he’s growing up so fast and he’s still getting used to his longer legs. Jungkook agreed, Taehyung looked a lot taller now). He thought that maybe it has something to do over the solid reality that he is Jin-hyung's brother and he could literally smell Seokjin on Taehyung.

Did he just think about sniffing Taehyung? God, he's so gross. He going to gag.

"Are you going to be online later? I need help with a mission."

"Yeah of course, just don't steal my kills again. I'm going to ban you in the guild."

"Pft, you can't do that."

"Why do you sound so sure?"

He nudged Jungkook's side and wiggled his eyebrows. He looked ugly, Jungkook frowned. "Because I'm your bestest friend."

"Gross."

"Brat."

Taehyung laughed and Jungkook ended up laughing too. It felt nice.

"Anyway, is Jimin going to sleep in your place again tonight?"

Jungkook froze. "Y-yeah."

"How long is he staying?"

"Um...two more weeks? Until my parents arrive."

"That long?" Taehyung raised an eyebrow suspiciously and Jungkook stopped breathing. "Okay"

-X-

If there's anything that Jungkook learned in his friendship with Taehyung the moment his mother brought him to the harsh reality of life, it's that Taehyung is some kind of a genius. He fails tests every now and then, gets into a lot of trouble because of him throwing paper airplanes onto Jimin's seat in the classroom, and manages to make a fool of himself in front of the crowd in a weekly basis. No one in their right mind would think that behind Taehyung's ridiculous theory about bunnies in the moon, he has the names and characteristics of every dinosaur in existence memorized together with some astronomy s that Jungkook couldn't even wrap his simple mind to.

So really, with the way Taehyung shoots Jungkook and Jimin a suspicious glare every afternoon, it's only a matter of time before Taehyung finds out what's going on.

Though to be honest, Jungkook has zero idea of what's going on.

And to add more fuel to the growing fire, they live in a fairly small town where people knew everyone so it's close to a hundred percent possibility that the old ladies will start gossiping on why the eldest son of the Park family who lived two streets away is not going home anymore and is staying in his friend's house.

People really need to stop sniffing other people's business.

To: Jinnie-hyung

From: Jungkook

Jimin-hyung said he ran away from his place. He's staying in my house.

To: Jungkook

From: Jinnie-hyung

What???

To: Jinnie-hyung

From: Jungkook

I have no idea what's going on, hyung. They're not telling me anything.

And it's true. He had no idea what's going on and no one is bothering to orient him about it. It’s always like this whenever he asked older people what's wrong. He’d always get a smile and a ruffle on the head as an answer as if it actually counted as an actual answer. It pissed him off but he couldn’t just punch old people in the face, he was raised better than that even though he breathed the same air as his brother.

He's involved in the problem in some way but at the same time he can't be involved. Why? Jimin is in his house, right? At least he had the every right to be informed of the current situation. And anyway, where will Jimin stay once his parents arrive? He couldn’t just say ‘Mom, Dad, can he stay here for the rest of his life?’. That sounded stupid and he doubt anyone would buy that.  

Jeon Jungkook is absolutely and utterly confused, frustrated, and constipated.

“Jeon Jungkook, what’s the answer to problem eleven?”

The young boy was snapped out from his thoughts and looked at the teacher standing right in front of his desk with an expression of annoyance. Jungkook looked down on his book that is still closed. Oh, what class is he in?

The teacher sighed and shook his head in defeat. “Turn your book on page eighty, pay attention now. In case you’re not aware, we’re in a math class. Your book right there is for science and I believe that was from the previous period you had before this.”

“Sorry.” He murmured. He could feel everyone’s stare at him and it felt like some kind of an insect is crawling under his skin. Probably a worm. He felt so uncomfortable and prayed for an apocalypse so he could get out of this embarrassing situation.

When the teacher moved to the blackboard to continue the lesson, he heard a snort next to him. He turned his head and saw his classmate smirking.

He remembered his name, Jin Taewon?

“You’re drooling.”  He said as if it was the most normal thing to say to a seatmate that he never talked to.

Jungkook pursed his lips together and wiped the said drool with the back of his hand (yes, he was drooling. Shame).

Eunseo on his other side hissed under her breath. “Taewon, shut up.”

The said Taewon made a face but turned his attention back to the teacher speaking in front.

-x-

Jimin came home late that night because of his dance practice for the upcoming dance competition this month.

"Did you eat already?" he asked as soon as he entered the house. It reminded him of Seokjin who would always ask him if he ate already. Why is everyone babysitting him?

"Yeah, I ate at Taehyung’s place."

He took a seat on the couch next to Jungkook who is currently engrossed in the TV show that he's watching, “Did he say anything? "

"Define anything. He says a lot of weird things so I’m not sure which one you need."

"You know what I mean."

"Nothing much. He just looked suspicious. "

"Of course he does. What was I thinking, hiding this from him? I should know it best not to keep anything from him. I'm underestimating him, aren't I?"

Jungkook reached for the remote control and turned the television off. He huffed.

"Why won't you tell me anything, hyung?"

Jimin's eyes widened in surprise, "I just...didn't want you to get in trouble. I mean, if you get involved.... "

"I am involved now. I feel like I'm hiding a criminal in my house and I know he's a criminal but I don't know what he did wrong."

"I know." Jimin pushed his hair back in frustration, "I don't want you to get in trouble. It's better that way."

Jungkook gritted his teeth in frustration. "You're acting like Jin-hyung, treating me like a child."

"Jungkook, you'll understand when you're older."

"I’m old enough."

"Alright. " He breathed in. "Alright, I got kicked out of the house because I'm gay and I refused to hook up with that girl that my family introduced to me. Happy?"

He blinked and tried to process what Jimin told him as if it was an algebra equation. If Jimin is x and Jungkook is y, what is Taehyung’s zodiac sign?What?

"Does... Jin-hyung know?"

"...Yeah. I'm sorry."

"Sorry... I... well..."

"Do you still want to be friends with me?"

Jungkook stared at Jimin. The way he said it, it sounded like he's expecting him to reject and to kick him out like what his family did. He wouldn’t do that though. Straight, gay, whatever, it doesn’t matter. Jimin is Jimin. Everything is just too much and nothing is making any sense but whatever. It doesn’t matter right now.

"Yeah, of course."

Jimin smiled and that's enough for Jungkook. He might talk about him and Taehyung but he wouldn't trade them to anything. Even if they made fun of him a lot and without end, he couldn't imagine how his life would be without them. Alright, he's turning into a sappy person now. It’s still a ty situation to be stuck with them.

-X-

Jimin coming out to him became some sort of an eye opener for Jungkook. After their conversation, he searched the internet for stuff that doesn’t make sense to him. During the process he thought that maybe he liked Seokjin not because he admired him but because he really liked him. The thought alone embarrassed Jungkook that he even turned his head to his left and right to make sure no one is around to witness his life changing realization. Sadly, he realized he's still in the middle of a class and there are people around him. On the positive note, they are too busy paying attention to the teacher in front to figure out that he’s having some kind of a life crisis.  

The young boy slumped in his seat, blinking his sleepiness away. He stayed up late listening to Jimin talk about the new dance steps that he learned and how he auditioned for a dance school. He wanted to be a professional dancer, which is nice. At least he pretty much has his life figured out already while Jungkook is having an existential crisis about who he really is. Does he like Seokjin in a gay way or does he like Seokjin in astraight way? As straight as he could get. Really, he’s confused as hell.  

He didn’t even last for thirty minutes until he started snoring in class.

He doesn’t really remember much of what happened because the next thing he knew, Eunseo is shaking him awake and his notebook has a wet spot on it that smelled like his drool. His hair stuck up at weird places and Eunseo said that the edge of his notebook left a visible mark on his cheek.

He blinked and turned his confused head around. He noticed that it’s only them who are left in the room. Did he sleep for the whole day?

“You’re always sleeping in class and I know it already became a habit for you, but I think you need to take this seriously now.” She said, brushing Jungkook’s hair back to its place with her hand.

Her hand felt soft on his head unlike Jimin and Taehyung’s rough hands whenever they brush his hair back to its place, or his brother’s hand who would tug his hair whenever he pissed him off.

It’s almost as soft as Seokjin’s, though. Seokjin’s hand is soft, as if he doesn’t do the laundry in the house. It’s amazing.  

He jerked his head away from her hand which earned a surprised look from Eunseo. “I know. Don’t tell me what to do.”

She frowned and crossed her hands on her chest, “I’m serious. If you keep this act up you’re not going to go anywhere good in your life.”

“I know. You’re so annoying. I’ve had enough people telling me that, don’t add to it.”

“I was just concerned!”

“Why?”

She shifted on her seat, her lower lip nervously. “I’m your friend, right? And I don’t know… with the things that’s going on I thought you’d need extra help from someone. Right?”

“What are you talking about?”

“About Taehyung-oppa and Jimin-oppa?”

He doesn’t like where this is going. “What about them?”

“That Jimin-oppa got kicked out of his house because he was… well... gay? And he’s dating Taehyung-oppa? Come on. I know those gossips are not true so I thought I could help you.”

“What….”

“I always see you three together when you were young and I know they’re just extremely close to each other. Don’t worry, I don’t believe those rumors. I’m trying to convince my friends too.”

Jimin literally just came out to him last night and now it’s everywhere? Just how far did the news go that it spread like a wild fire in his school?

“I need to go…” He quickly gathered his things into his bag.

“Wait, are you going home now? I’ll walk with you.”

“No.” He ran out of the room and out of the school. He was sort of glad he slept for the whole day because at least, he gathered enough energy to run. He needed to see Jimin, or Taehyung. Any of those two will do. Holy .

As if his prayers were answered, he saw Taehyung waiting for him in entrance of his school and he looked like he’s ready to commit homicide.

Before Jungkook could even say anything, his collar was grabbed harshly by the older male. “What. The. . Jungkook. Why didn’t you tell me about Jimin?”

“Hyung! He told me not to! And I had no idea what’s going on until last night!” He pushed Taehyung away to free himself.

The commotion attracted students to gather around them and the younger boy could hear the students murmuring to each other.

“Isn’t that him?”

“Yeah what a waste, he looks good.”

“What’s going on?”

Stop it.

Jungkook could sense how angry Taehyung is and Taehyung rarely got angry. Whenever he did, he just kept quiet and glared at everyone. It’s scarier than a screaming Taehyung because he could be plotting anything that could probably get him to jail. Out of all Jungkook’s friends, Taehyung is most likely the person who could stab someone to death.  

“Excuse me, excuse me—Jungkook!”

The young boy turned his head to the source of the noise and saw Eunseo looking confused in the middle of the crowd. He was pulled by Taehyung though, before he could even say anything. Pulled away from the growing crowd. His wrist was gripped too hard and he was sure it’s going to leave a mark when they get home.

They reached their destination and when they did, Taehyung’s face looked a lot calmer than what it was just few minutes ago. Or maybe he was just pulling off his blank look into a whole new level.

“Jimin doesn’t know anything about the rumors.”

“How is that possible? You don’t even study in my school anymore and yet everyone knew it.”

“I don’t know. I was with him the whole day. Everyone was giving us weird looks but he doesn’t seem to notice it.”

“That’s good… Is he home?”

“Yeah. I told him he should just stay in my place.”

“And your parents?”

“They know. Jin-hyung knows too.”

“So I was late. I just found it out last night. How could you even hide something as big as this from me?”

Taehyung rolled his eyes, “We don’t have time to talk about this. I want you to act natural around him, alright? Pretend there are no rumors. Annoy him like usual.”

“Yeah. I got it.”

The taller male sighed and gave Jungkook a small smile. “You want to come over?”

“Some other time, my tutor will be here later.”

“I can’t believe your tutor hasn’t given up on you yet. Her patience is amazing.”

“I’m not that bad!”

-x-

Jimin isn’t exactly aware of the rumors but that only meant Taehyung is getting the full blast effect of it. He noticed the nasty glares that was sent to them and how the old people in their neighbor would shake their heads whenever Taehyung stepped out of the safety of his house. They were treated like sick people that everyone must stay away from and it made Jungkook angry and sad all at the same time. He doesn’t even know if he should cry or kick someone. Probably both. He’s such an emotional mess.

The fact that Jimin is still not aware of it is actually pretty amazing. Whatever Taehyung is doing to keep him away from it must be really something. Now that he’s fully aware of their relationship, he started to notice the little things that Taehyung does to Jimin that showed how much he cared. The way his gaze would stay a bit longer when he looked at Jimin, how he would glare at the people around them but will give Jimin the softest and kindest expression that he could muster, how he would squeeze Jimin’s hand under the table whenever they eat at their bakery, and how Taehyung would always pull Jimin’s sleeves up until his elbow and will sigh in relief afterwards. Why he does that is beyond Jungkook’s knowledge.

Point is, Jungkook noticed how much Taehyung loved Jimin. It’s weird at first that your childhood friends see each other like that but he figured he’ll get used to it.

He remembered how Seokjin does the same to him too before. How Seokjin would watch Jungkook a bit longer than how he did with Taehyung, how he would get mad at the people who start a fight with Jungkook when they were young and how he will give the younger the softest smile afterwards, how Seokjin always held his hand when he’s scared or alone, how Seokjin would always make sure to cook the best tasting meals for Jungkook, all those little things that Jungkook just brushed off as nagging or babysitting is starting to make a bit of sense to Jungkook’s brain. Though maybe Seokjin is just really like that because, well, he’s younger than everyone else in their group (that only consisted of Taehyung, Jimin, his older brother, and him).

 

“I think Eunseo has a thing for you.”

Jungkook looked up from his lunch box that was made by Taehyung’s mom. He saw Taewon playing with the carrot on his plate.

“What?”

He started hanging out with Taewon lately. A kid around his age with crooked fingers, round eyes, puffy cheeks, and taller than him. He kind of looked like Seokjin. Just a bit. Of course, his Jin-hyung is prettier. What.

“I said I think Eunseo has a thing for you. Ugh, there you go again. Daydreaming. I hate it when you do that because you look dumb.”

“What thing?”

“I didn’t know you’re this stupid.”

“I’m not. I just don’t understand what thing you’re talking about.”

“Yeah, sure. I think she likes you.”

Now Jungkook raised his eyebrow at that as he stuffed his mouth with meat.

“She always liked to hang out with you, straighten your uniform, let you copy from her homework, brush your hair. Like, what the ?” He rolled his eyes.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Holy , I can’t believe you.”

And they ended it there, going back to their meal.

 

Whatever bullcrap Taewon corrupted his mind with, it bugged him until later that afternoon. Eunseo walked home with him as usual but Jungkook decided to pay more attention to her.

Her hair has gotten longer than it was before. She also has gotten a bit taller, but Jungkook is still taller than her. Her eyes are round, her nose is straight unlike Jungkook’s crooked (and large) one. Her lips are thin and if you squint really hard, you’ll notice a bit of shine on it. Like those lip glosses. Her chest looks…Jungkook had to look away. It’s a bit round and bigger than the girls in their class. Her legs also looked soft and smooth. Okay what the hell, this is weird.

“See you tomorrow.”

Jungkook blinked and turned to Eunseo.

“What?”

 She laughed, covering with her hand. That was adorable? Seokjin does that a lot too when he laughs. “I said, see you tomorrow. We’re here, that’s your house right?”

Oh. Jungkook looked up and yes, they’re in front of his house. He didn’t even notice that he just spent fifteen minutes staring at her. “Uh, yeah. See you tomorrow.”

“What were you thinking? Did you even listen to me talking?”

“Sorry. I was distracted.” He frowned.

“Yeah, I noticed. Anyway, don’t forget we have a quiz tomorrow. Bye” She waved her hand and walked to the direction of her house.

When Jungkook reached the door of his house, he noticed that it wasn’t locked so he stepped in as quiet as possible. He could hear the television on the sports channel.

“Hey, kid.”

His brother is home. “Hyung, what are you doing here?”

“Am I not allowed in the house? I didn’t know.” He scoffed.

“I hate you.” He took a seat next to his brother and placed his bag next to him.

“What’s up?”

“Fine. Better than with you here.”

“Well, you.”

“Good.”

He turned the television off. “I heard about Jimin and Taehyung.”

“Yeah?”

“I was worried.”

“You’re worried about them?”

“Yeah, of course. They’re like my little brothers too, though I was more worried about you.”

“Why are you worried about me? I’m not the one getting roasted with glares and nasty looks.”

“Yeah, but you’re friends with them. What will other people think?”

“Let them be. I don’t care.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Then what is it?”

His brother frowned and rubbed his temples, “I don’t think I should have this talk with you right now.”

“Why?”

“How old are you?”

“Fourteen.”

“There.”

Really. Really. His brother is such an idiot.

“You’re scared that other people will think that…that…I’m like them.” Jungkook said, careful with every words.

His brother just glared at him.

“That’s it? You need to give me more credit, you know. And what’s wrong with it?”

“Listen. I’m not against them or anything. My point is, being… umm… gay is seen as something negative. We’re in South Korea, we’re in Asia, people can’t be open minded with these kind of things. People will say bad things and treat you as someone with a deadly disease. I’m not against the concept of it, alright? Before you call me or dumb . Really. I just don’t like how people will treat you.”

“But they’re…happy. And they love each other. I don’t get it.”

“I know. Just…don’t think too much about it.”

But his brother isn’t against the idea, right? That’s something, right? Alright, he’s not utterly dumb. Jungkook thought about it. And he’s worried about his little brother for once, what a news flash. If his mother found out, she’ll definitely cry. Again.

If he told to his brother about Seokjin, how will he react? He’s close to Seokjin so he’ll definitely find it weird and gross that his brother is crushing on his friend.

Though the younger is in desperate need of someone to counsel him about this. Tell him what to do, what the hell this actually is and the internet isn’t actually much of a help. He couldn’t talk to Jimin and Taehyung because their hands are already full. See? He’s being considerate even in the times of desperation.

He should give it a shot. He’s desperate.

“Hyung, I think I need to tell you something?”

“What? If that’s about giving you money because I know that mom decided to cut your allowance in half for the month then no. Don’t even bother. University is expensive as . I’m barely surviving the day with cup noodles.”

“No? No. Not about that. Why does it always have to be about money when I talk to you?”

“Well? What else is there? If it’s not food, it’s money.”

“It’s Jin-hyung.”

He watched as his brother’s neutral expression morphed into a face of pure horror, the way it shifted is almost comical and Jungkook would laugh at it only if he weren’t in this serious situation. Seokjin meant serious business in Jungkook’s dictionary.

“Oh god. Oh god. No. Don’t even say anything.” His hand made its way to Jungkook’s mouth to cover it.

“Mffhh!” Jungkook grabbed his brother’s hand in an attempt to pull it away.

“I know he has a great and a nice looking lips but don’t even dare to think about it.”

He successfully pulled his brother’s hand away, looking at him with a horrified expression that is a mirror of the older male’s expression just few seconds ago. “What?”

“You just have worms in your stomach. That’s it.”

“I thought it’s butterflies.”

Worms.”

“Hyung, listen—“

“No. End of topic. You have worms in your stomach.”

“Why are you—“

“I think Eunseo is pretty.”

What?

“What?”

“Eunseo, don’t you think she’s pretty? I heard that she likes you.”

“Do everyone just assume she likes me because people have been saying that.”

“Damn it, Jungkook. You’re making it hard for both of us.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Give her a try. I don’t know, ask her out? It might work out, you know? You don’t think you like her right now because you always think of Seokjin. And god, it’s not even because he’s a man. He’s five years older than you. It’s like you… like me or some . I don’t think I could live with that.”

“Very supportive.”

“And the possibility of him actually liking you is close to negative. It’s just not happening. Don’t be delusional.”

Big talk for a dumb person. Where’s the statistical proof that the possibility is close to negative? Did he conduct a research prior to this? Jungkook wanted to punch his face, so much for being a caring brother. He didn’t even let the young boy talk. Thanks.

But the sad truth is that, he doesn’t need a solid proof to prove his point. That’s just how it is. The universal truth. The undeniable universal truth. Seokjin will forever and ever see him as a kid that he needed to take care of. All the things that Seokjin has done for him in the past are just making the younger boy want for more. He sent mixed signals to Jungkook and it’s frustrating. He just needed to swallow that truth and deal with it.

Reality hurts. Why was he even born to this harsh, cruel, and judgmental reality?

As if everything in the universe is against him while he’s in the process of swallowing the harsh truth and accepting the undeniable fact, his phone vibrated and saw that Seokjin sent him a message.

From: Jinnie-hyung

To: Jungkook

Kookie, goodnight <3 Sleep well, alright? Hyung loves you, mwaaah.

And Jungkook wanted to cry.


Before anything else, I would like to thank everyone who subscribed, upvoted, and commented here like reallyyy thank you all so much TTvTT it really means a lot to me.

twitter: @tsoookie

tumblr: tsoookie.tumblr.com