Chapter 3

Does it matter?

Jeon jungkook was thirteen when he got his first ever mobile phone. His mother did insist to get him a smartphone but his father said otherwise.

"It's going to be his first phone. He’ll probably drop that a lot."

It was a fair argument so his mother agreed and got him a red flip phone, similar to Seokjin's pink one. Jungkook was happy to own the phone nonetheless.  

"I wonder why Seokjin is still using a flip phone at this day and age, people at his age owns smartphones."

Jungkook listened to his parents while admiring the phone on his hand. It's shiny and red. Jungkook liked red. 

"He said it's cute." His mother laughed softly.

They ate in a fancy restaurant for the first time in so many years, this was the only time that both of his parents had time to spend with him but sadly his older brother couldn't make it because he's busy with his cram school. Studying for the coming major test in their country. He wanted to enter into a good university in Seoul so he had to do his best. Jungkook thought about it a lot because that means his brother is moving away and it made him sad.

He also heard that Seokjin will be taking the test too because he's the same age as his older brother. He wondered if he's going to go to Seoul to study too. He doesn't like the idea.

He ate his meal in silence, the pasta was sour and he's doesn't exactly like it but he liked the chicken. He always liked chicken anyway, or anything with flour so the pizza was okay too.

"Jungkook, do you have a career in mind already?" his father asked.

What? Jungkook tilted his head.

"Your brother already has a set goal on what job he'll have in the future. What about you?"

Jungkook turned his head to his mother, asking for a silent help. He bit down a smile of relief when he saw his mother glance at his direction.

"I think we should give Kookie more time to think about it. He's thirteen, he doesn't know what he wants yet."

His father raised an eyebrow but he doesn’t push the topic further.

-X-

The moment he stepped out of the car, Jungkook made his way to the house next door. He saw that the gate is unlocked so he opened it with ease and greeted the dog with a cheerful hi. He came face to face with the door and knocked three times.

The door opened and revealed an 'i-just-woke-up' Taetae. His hair is sticking up in weird angles and his eyes looked drowsy, he stared at Jungkook while he slowly blinked his sleepiness away.

"Hey." He grinned with his infamous rectangular smile.

"Taetae, guess what?" Jungkook asked excitedly, fighting the urge to show his excitement on his face. He doesn’t want to ruin the surprise.  

"You got a pet dog?"

"No."

"Wait, give me another chance. " he said as he closed his eyes. He pinched the bridge of his nose.

Jungkook waited for his next answer.

He grinned again and Jungkook got a good look of his braces. It's color blue this time.

"You met a talking rabbit?"

"What? No!"

"Okay, wait."

"I'll just say it. It took you one hundred fifty-six tries before you got what I ate for snacks right the last time we had a guessing game." And Jiminie is better at this game because he actually made sense. Jungkook preferred playing with Jiminie.  

"In my defense, I didn't expect you to eat a vanilla waffle. I was thinking you ate sunny side up chocolate and strawberry egg pancake with a mix root beer and sprite."

"I don't even know that food...."

"It's good."

Jungkook squinted his eyes, he learned it the hard way not to trust Taetae's food preference. Last time, he got a stomach ache for two days that was a horrible experience.

"Anyway, I got a new phone though they only got me a flip phone because dad said so and it looks like Jin-hyung's except it's red!!" He took out his phone from his pocket to show it to the taller male.

"Woah..." Taetae's eyes widened. "I was gonna guess you learned how to drive a submarine so this is unexpected. "

"Submarine?"

He took the phone to inspect it. "Why did they get you one? You failed your exams and only got three percent on your English test. How is this possible?"

"I'm not sure. They said I need it.” Jungkook shrugged.

"Well, I'll save my number now."

"No!!" Jungkook grabbed the phone away from the elder, "I haven't saved any number in there yet because I want Jin-hyung to save his number first!"

"He'll save his number sooner or later anyway. Geez, what difference does it make?"

Jungkook bit his lower lip. "It's special that way."

"So you came here to get hyung's number? Lame. Come in."

Jungkook removed his shoes on the doorway before he stepped in.

"Is he here?" Jungkook asked, eyeing the new framed photo on the wall near the stairway. It's a photo of an old man, probably their grandfather. Jungkook never met him before.

"He’s in our room and he’s still sleeping but you can wake him up. He's already getting fat from sleeping all day."

Jungkook followed the older boy upstairs and to his shared room with his brother.

The room is a bit bigger than Jungkook's room. It has a double deck bed and Taetae sleeps on the upper bunk which is full of stuffed animals. His hyung's bed on the other hand has a pink bed sheet and blanket with too much pillows. And like Taetae's bed, it's also full of stuffed toys. Sometimes, he brings one to Jungkook’s place like that one frog stuffed toy. He used to be as tall as it but now he’s taller than the frog. Jungkook named it Mr. Kevin the Frog and told Seokjin that Mr. Kevin the Frog works as a businessfrog for a dog food company.

Mr. Kevin the Frog is Jungkook’s favorite.

( “Hyung! I’m taller than Mr. Kevin the Frog now!”

“That’s nice.”

“Why isn’t he growing taller?”

“Because he doesn’t drink milk, unlike you.”

“Why?”

“He’ll get sick if he does.”

“Why?”

“He’s lactose intolerant.”

“Why?”

“He was born with it.”

“Why?”

Silence.

“Hyung?”

“Yes?”

“What’s a lactum inolerum?”

“It’s lactose intolerant.” )

He also named a horse stuffed toy as J-Hope, a turtle as Suga, and a duck as Rap Monster.

(Taehyung laughed for two hours straight when he found out he named a duck stuffed toy as Rap Monster and Jimin said it was cute.)

There are two desks in the corner of the room and one desktop computer. There's also a closet that occupied at least forty percent of their room and Jungkook is sure that it's full of oversized sweaters. Knowing the siblings well and their choice of clothes.

Jungkook eyed the bump on the lower bunk that is covered in the pink blanket. A smile made its way on his face when he realized it's probably his Jin-hyung, but he didn't do anything to wake him up so he just stared.

"Taetae I think we should let him sleep."

"It's fine, I wasn't exaggerating when I said he has been sleeping for the whole day."

"Exaggerating." Jungkook repeated. He knew what the word means now.

"HYUNG!!!" The taller male yelled.

Jungkook almost jumped in surpirse, he knew that Taetae got a really loud voice and he used it a lot in yelling nonesense most of the time, but being in a closed room with a yelling Taetae is a different level of being loud.

The sleeping figure in the bed jumped in surprise which caused him to fall on the floor with a loud thud, still tangled in the blanket.

"Kim Taehyung, what did I tell you about yelling?" A pause, "oh! Kookie is here."

The boy on the floor helped himself up and fixed his bed.

"Jin-hyung!!" Jungkook ran to his hyung, "I got a phone that looks like yours, can I get your number?"

"Really?" His eyes widened as Jungkook handed him his phone. "Oh my god this is so cute."

Jungkook watched his hyung as he inputs his number. He named his contact 'jinnie hyung' and saved it.

"Ah, I need to put a contact photo. Is it okay to take a picture?"

Jungkook nodded his head.

"Please do!"

The older male took a photo of himself with a cute smile on his face before he saved it as a contact photo.

"Can I save my number on Kookie's phone now?"

Jungkook turned his head to the boy across the room.

Taetae saved his number under the name of 'best hyung taetae' with a photo of his nostril as his contact photo.

-X-

Jungkook was also thirteen when he got into his first fight at school.

The fight involved him punching an older student's face, breaking his nose in the process and Jiminie accidentally getting kicked in the stomach by another student when he tried to stop the fight.

"He made fun of Taetae's braces! He called him ugly!" Jungkook said in defense when he was sent to the principal's office along with the other students that were involved in the fight.

The boy with a broken nose snorted. He had the nerve to snort with a broken nose? Does he want a broken jaw too? Jungkok grit his teeth in anger as he glared at him.

He felt Taetae squeeze his shoulder and shook his head while Jimin squeezed his clenching fist to calm him down.

He turned his head to the floor instead.

The friend (Jungkook assumed) of the broken nose guy turned his attention to Taetae.

"We're sorry, Taetae. " he said, emphasizing the name. It made Jungkook angrier.  

"And Jungkook? " the principal turned her gaze to the youngest boy in the room.

He didn't respond, looking at the floor as if it was the most interesting thing he’d seen today.

"Kookie, just apologize." Jimin whispered.

"But he kicked you and insulted Ta--"

"Just do it, it's okay."

Jungkook remained stubborn and said nothing.

The principal called his parents but they couldn't make it, same with his older brother so in the end it was his Jin-hyung who went to his school. Jungkook didn't missed the panicked look on his hyung's face when he entered the office.

Jungkook felt his stomach drop. He tuned out the conversation between the grumpy old principal and his hyung because he knew that the blame will be placed heavily on him. They made it look like he’s the bad guy when all he did was to defend his friends. It made him feel frustrated and he wants to punch the other boy again.

After what it felt like hours, they were sent home with the heavy news of three days’ suspension for Jungkook. They walked in an uncomfortable silence except for Taehyung dropping lame jokes every other minute and Jimin joining the latter with the jokes.

Jungkook wasn't expecting anything good when his parents got home later that night. Of course, they were disappointed with what he did and lectured him throughout the dinner. Now they have to pay the medical bills of the boy with the broken nose (Jungkook doesn’t even remember his name).  

His brother, on the other hand doesn't even look bothered at all. If anything, he looked more amazed.

"I didn't know you're capable of breaking someone's nose with that body of yours, holy ! That was from all the milk that you had been drinking, isn’t it?"

"Language, young man." His mother hissed.

Jungkook took another bite from his food, this time it was harder and he felt his last milk tooth get loose. 

-X-

Jungkook ended up having to do his brother's share of house chores during his suspension as a punishment. He scrubbed the greasy pans with his small hands and it took him almost half an hour to make it look usable. He also did the laundry, even though the washing machine in their house made it easier, he still cursed his brother under his breath for using so much jeans in a span of seven days.

He scrubbed the bathroom clean, cleaned the toilet, mopped the floor, and cleaned his room (he also found really cool action figures that he almost forgot about) before he decided that it was time collapse on the couch. His muscle ached and he’s considering the idea to sleep for the next two days of his suspension.

He got a total of ten minutes’ nap before he heard loud banging noises coming from the door. He was tempted to ignore it and go back to his nap but the noise won't stop so got up to his feet and opened the door.

"Kookie!!" Taehyung grinned with Jimin on his side. He’s holding a paper bag from the bakery.

They invited themselves in as Taehyung pushed the paper bag to Jungkook’s chest. "Jin-hyung wanted me to give that to you."

"Your seatmate gave me notes and homework that you need to see." Jimin followed. A sweet smile on his face as he gently pushed a small bag to Jungkook.

Jungkook checked the contents of the bag from Taehyung and saw freshly baked bunny shaped cookies.

 


Author's note: 

Thank you so much for all the comments, subs, and upvotes!! TTvTT It makes me really happy. I write stories for my friend and seeing that other people enjoy them too makes me really happy and strive to be better. 

Anyway, if you would like to talk to me feel free to drop me a message to the following accounts: 

Twitter: @tsoookie

Tumblr: tsoookie.tumblr.com