Chapter 17

Does it matter?

Jungkook isn’t exactly a morning person. He guessed no one is a morning person by default. Except maybe for Seokjin who wakes up at what-the- hours in the morning to make breakfast.

He shifts comfortably on his bed (previously Seokjin’s), the welcoming warmth of the bed is lulling him for another round of sleep. He stayed still for a minute before he heard sounds coming from the kitchen, from Seokjin who is probably making fried rice.

He forced himself up and glanced at his phone to check the time. It’s six in the morning and it’s literally way too early for him to be up but he pushed himself up anyway. He walked to the bathroom as quiet as possible not to disturb Seokjin to wash his face and brush his teeth.

Jungkook hated mornings. Mornings meant he needed to go to school and deal with his classmate Taewon. Mornings meant not sleeping and he doesn’t know if anything could be worse than that. Mornings also meant waking up to his horrible case of bed hair that’s ten times harder to fix than his horrible grades at school. He doesn’t have any idea why his hair always looked so ed up and he doesn’t really want to exert so much effort in fixing it so early in the morning. So he washed his face, brushed his teeth, and made his way to the small kitchen.  

Jungkook knew how much he hated mornings but as he stepped inside the kitchen, and sees Seokjin’s back turned to him he forgets why he hated it in the first place. The window located near the stove is open and it made it look like Seokjin is some kind of an angel sent from the heaven. Or whatever. He looked angelic with the morning light and it’s unfair. His stomach did a double flip at the sight.

(I thought you’re over this. He reminded himself and he knew he’s not over it yet. Who is he kidding?)

Maybe mornings aren’t bad at all. It meant Yoongi is sleeping soundly in his room, without any care to whatever is happening around him and Jungkook can drown in this domestic bliss. He can pretend Yoongi isn’t here and it’s just Seokjin and him. Yeah, sounds good.

“Hyung.” He called out, his voice rough from sleep.

Seokjin turned to face Jungkook, his eyes widened in surprise. “It’s early and you’re awake. How unusual.” He chuckled before he returned to his task.

“Yeah…well. I got hungry.” Jungkook bit down a yawn and walked closer to the counter. “Need help?”

“Yes, please. Can you find the butter in the fridge?”

Jungkook hummed in response and dragged his feet to the fridge and opened it. He took the butter from the side and before he closed the fridge, he saw a box of cake with his name written on it.

“Oh,” Jungkook says, “why’s my name here?”

“That’s from Yoongi. He bought it last night, more like this morning at three in the morning while he was working on a track. You know, the one you’ll be using for your audition.”

Jungkook blinked but he didn’t say anything, he let Seokjin continue.

“Right, so he was working on it when realization hits him hard. He thought maybe you’re nervous about this whole thing and he doesn’t really know how to talk to you about it. He even woke me up and asked me if you liked cakes so he immediately went out to find an open store that will sell him a cake at three in the morning.”

Jungkook’s shoulders felt heavy. “He did that?”

“Yeah. Don’t tell him I told you that though.”

Jungkook stared at the innocent box of cake in the fridge next to the carton of unopened milk. He swallowed a lump in his throat and closed the fridge gently.

“Oh, and Jungkook?” Seokjin called him and the younger boy froze in place. “Today is the big day, right? I made your favorite food and I ordered lamb skewers. I know you can do it.”

-x-

Seokjin left at eight to go to school. He was sad about leaving because he wanted to be with Jungkook to give him support, but sadly he was required to attend a seminar today. Jungkook assured him that he’ll be alright and that Yoongi will be the dad friend who will support him which earned a laugh from Seokjin.

At exactly eleven in the morning, a grumpy and sleepy Yoongi emerged from his room and walked to the kitchen where Jungkook is currently wolfing down the cake.

“Morning.” Jungkook greeted, mouth full of cake.

Yoongi stared at the cake before he took a sit across Jungkook. “You know what to do, right?”

Jungkook’s grip on his fork tightened. “Uh, yeah.”

“Nervous?”

“Not really.” He laughed. “Thanks to the cake I feel a lot better.”

Yoongi cursed under his breathe. “Seokjin told you.”

Jungkook shrugged and tried his best not to laugh at Yoongi’s expression.

“Whatever, go and get ready I don’t want you to show up looking like a homeless kid.”

“Hyung!”

“Shh, just go. I need coffee.”

 

Jungkook wanted the ground to swallow him right at this moment. He’s currently standing in front of the unbelievable large doors with Yoongi tapping his foot impatiently beside him. Behind him, are other teenagers, some are around his age and others are older waiting for their turn. They looked like they’re about to their pants anytime soon.

He took a deep breath and Yoongi groaned for the nth time that day.

“If you let nervousness eat you alive while you’re in there I’m going to personally drag you to hell.”

“I won’t.”

“Yeah. You better. I even had to ask Namjoon’s help for the track that you’ll use because I never worked with the kind of song genre that you wanted.”

“It’s good. The melody suits my voice well, hyung.”

“I know.”

“Who’s Namjoon?”

“A friend. You’ll meet him after this.”

Before Jungkook can respond, the door opened and a girl around his age stepped out with a sad look and his name was called.

“Number one hundred six, Jeon Jungkook.”

Yoongi grabbed his arm before he moved and murmured something to him.

“My father is one of the judges. I told him about you so you better impress him.”

And then, he was shoved inside the room with four set of curious eyes on him.

-x-

The air inside the room was so thick and sharp it can probably cut Jungkook’s arm. A man on the end of the table, in the left side cleared his throat as he read Jungkook’s audition form.

“Jeon Jungkook, fifteen. Vocalist.” He recited. He read more and Jungkook didn’t miss the recognition in his eyes, how it widened for a second.

The woman, sitting next to him was nodding as she read his form. She murmurs an interesting.

“So, Jeon Jungkook what do you have for us today?”

“I’ll sing Lost Stars by Adam Levine.”

“Alright, let’s hear it.” She smiled.

Jungkook glanced at the man in the control booth and gave him a thumbs up. He nodded his head and played Jungkook’s song that Yoongi arranged for him.

As soon as he heard the first beat, he closed his eyes and let the melody take over him.

“Please don’t see, just a boy caught up and dreams and fantasies”

He focused on the song and thought about his childhood, his dreams, his home.

“Please see me, reaching out for someone I can’t see”

He remembered Seokjin. How he always chased him, so close yet so far.

All his nervousness went down and all he could think about is Seokjin, Seokjin, Seokjin. Unreachable, beautiful Seokjin and his one sided feelings for the older male. His back, his laugh, his crooked fingers, the day when they went to beach and left the following day without a proper goodbye.

He remembered Jimin, with large bags standing in front of his door. He looked so young, so fragile to be in his situation.

He remembered Taehyung. An angry Taehyung. Screaming, yelling, until the day where they left to Seoul. He remembered how Taehyung tried so hard not to break down.

And then it’s Seokjin again. His mind was full of Seokjin again and it hurts.

The next thing he knew, the room was quiet already when he opened his eyes. Four pairs of eyes stared at him and the guy at the control booth gave him a thumbs up. His throat felt dry, his chest felt heavy, he couldn’t breathe.

The man woman who spoke to him earlier gave him a smile and wrote something on his form. He saw the four judges talk to each other with low voices so he wouldn’t hear.

After what it felt like an eternity, the man in the left cleared his throat for the second time. Now that Jungkook got a better look at him, he does look like Yoongi with his eyes and lips.

“That was impressive. It was full of emotion, we thought you’re going to cry in the middle.”

“Oh.”

He laughed. “Congratulations. We’ll give you a call after this.”

Jungkook’s eyes widened. “Wait—Sorry, does that mean—“

“Yes. We’ll mail you some documents that you need to read and have your parents signed.”

He felt like his heart will explode in billions of pieces. “Oh my god.”

“We’ll see you soon. Next.”

Jungkook couldn’t believe it. He ran to the door and opened it. He was greeted by Yoongi biting his nails.

“What?” He asked.

“I got it, hyung!”

Yoongi broke into a grin. That grin where his mouth stretches so wide you’ll see his gums. “Of course you did.”

Jungkook laughed. “Thanks for the cake.”

Yoongi rolled his eyes. “Don’t be stupid.”

-x-

Jungkook can hear Seokjin’s screaming from the phone and it’s not even in loud speaker yet.

“Jesus, calm down babe.” Yoongi grinned. “You wanna talk to your little bunny over here?”

Yoongi handed Jungkook his phone, in which the younger took with trembling hands.

“Hyung…I made it.”

“Yes! Of course you did. I’m so happy for you, I’ll be home early today so we can celebrate.”

Jungkook couldn’t stop himself from smiling. “Yeah. Thank you, hyung.”

“Also, Yoongi said you’ll meet Namjoon today. Oh, you’re going to like him.”

“Yeah.”

“Oh my god, I’m so happy for you…” he was cut off when a voice from his side called his name. “Oh no, I need to go. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Okay. Bye, hyung.”

“Bye, Kookie! Congrats! Love you!” And with that the call ended with Jungkook’s hand frozen in the air with the phone. What?  

“Stop that.” Yoongi snorted.

Confused, Jungkook handed his phone back to him. “Stop what?”

“Making that face.”

“What face.”

“The face that you make whenever you talk to Seokjin.” He shrugged.

“What face?”

Yoongi paused for a moment, as if he was still thinking about it. He clicked his tongue and walked towards the opposite side of the street, probably on the way to where they will meet Namjoon.

“Love-struck face.”