Chapter 18

Does it matter?

“Jesus, hyung! What the are you doing here? It’s ing freezing. My is ing freezing already and I’ve only been out for like an hour looking for you.”

He grabbed the older male’s hand as he walked back to their place. His hands are cold and it felt like he has been out for more than an hour.

“I’m a mess, Yoongi.”

Yoongi never whipped his head so fast in his entire life to take a good look at Seokjin’s face. He stopped in the middle of an empty street at three in the morning. The busy street looked creepy at this hour and it doesn’t help that they’re in front of an old coffee shop that looked like it came straight out of a horror film.

Yoongi can hear the sound of the cars in the highway and a few drunken people walking back home. He let out a breath and smoke came out from his mouth due to the harsh cold of winter.

“What?” He managed to let out, trying to process what he just heard.

“I can’t go home like this.”

“What are you talking about? We’re going home. My is freezing. Do I need to repeat that?”

“No. I can’t go home like this, Yoongi. I’m a mess. My family will be disappointed.”

“Oh.” Yoongi gulped. He squeezed Seokjin’s hand as he tugged the elder to walk again. “You don’t have to go home for the winter break, but we’re going back home now. I’m serious about freezing my off.”

Seokjin let out a soft laugh before he walked again, this time he walks with Yoongi. “Yeah. Alright.”

“And…I don’t know how many times I have to say this to you but you’re not a mess.”

“Yoongi, I—“

“Just… shut up for twenty seconds. Jesus Christ. Even though you always tell yourself that you’re a mess, for me you’re not. You did what was right and that’s the important thing here.” Yoongi ruffled his hair in frustration with his free hand, he was never good with words whenever he talked. But he always tried. He always did for Seokjin. “And I love you with all your imperfections. I’m so ing whipped for you and like what Namjoon always tell me, I’m a ing goner for you. And you still think you’re a huge mess--”

He was cut off by a pair of chapped and cold lips on his own.

“You talk too much. Let’s go home, I’m freezing.”

“Like you’re the one to talk.”

There was a slight pain on his chest but it’s fine. Yoongi understood.  

-x-

Jungkook was able to give his father a call to give the good news before they arrived at a building that he wasn’t familiar with.

He knew that this will be a mess. His mother would argue and demand for him to go home but he trusted his father on this one. He hoped that his mother would let him even if it’s one-hundred percent against her plans for Jungkook.

(He also tried to give Jimin a call but he never answered so he ended up spamming him with messages, same with Taehyung.)

“Where are we?” He asked Yoongi who is currently typing something on his phone.

“Namjoon’s place. He’s actually working on his mixtape so it will be hard to drag him outside but he really wants to meet you.” Yoongi frowned as he murmured something under his breathe that sounds like this ing bastard don’t make me give you a call. “Whatever, let’s go in.”

Jungkook followed a grumpy Yoongi inside the building (which Jungkook later found out is actually an apartment). He followed him to the elevator and saw him push the number three button.

The ride was short but the music blasting in the elevator was horrible. It sounded like a screeching cat noises with background laughing music that sounded like it came from a ninety’s sitcom. Yoongi doesn’t look bothered by it though, it looked like it’s a normal elevator music.

So, when they stepped out of the elevator, Jungkook was more than grateful.

He followed Yoongi walk a bit more like a preschool student following his teacher. They stopped in front of a door with the number 304 and Yoongi harshly banged on the door.

It took approximately six curses, fifteen loud knocks, and three kicks with Jungkook awkwardly standing on the side before the door opened.

A man, definitely taller than Yoongi, with a bleached blond hair was behind the door. He squinted his eyes behind his round glasses as if adjusting to the harsh light of the outside world and Jungkook almost choked on his spit when he realized he was only wearing a boxer.

“Gross. Put something on, you have a visitor.” Yoongi scrunched his nose to emphasize his point.

As if realizing that there’s another person with Yoongi, the guy, Namjoon, let out a loud  before he ran to find himself something decent to wear.

Yoongi sighed and let himself in, he was removing his shoes when he shot Jungkook a look. “What are you doing there? Come in.”

There was a loud crash that can be heard inside followed by strings of curses the moment Jungkook stepped in. He froze in place and glanced at Yoongi who doesn’t even looked like he heard anything,

“Uh, is he alright?”

“Yeah. Just come in and close the damn door.”

-x-

Yoongi was shaking his head in shame when they took a sit in the living room. They watched as Namjoon sweep the remains of a broken vase in front of them.

“Why do you own a vase? You don’t do flowery stuff.” Yoongi asked.

“Seokjin-hyung gave it to me, he said I could use some life in my house.” He picked up a large piece of the broken vase. “Ouch! !”

“I can’t believe he didn’t give you a plastic vase.”

Jungkook stood up and grabbed the broom from Namjoon’s hand. “I’ll…clean this for you, hyung. You might accidentally kill yourself.”

Namjoon stared at him with wide eyes before he stepped back. “Well, there goes a good first impression.”

“When do you give good first impressions? Also, your shirt is inside-out.”

“Oh my god.”

 

Despite the chaos and clumsy exterior, Namjoon was actually a really cool guy. It was as if he shifted as a different person when they stepped in his room with his music equipment.

Yoongi immediately made himself comfortable on the bed as Namjoon gave Jungkook a seat next to his own his desk.

“I heard from Yoongi-hyung that you have a nice voice.”

Jungkook could feel his cheeks getting warm with the compliment. “I don’t think it’s that good.”

“But you managed to get in on your first audition. That must be something, right?” He grinned and Jungkook got a good look of his dimples. Nice.

“Well….” Jungkook scratched the back of his neck. “Thank you. I still have a long way to go though, I’ll have to work harder.”

“I like that spirit.” Namjoon turned his attention back to his computer. “I’m sure it will be nice to work with you in the future.”

Jungkook blinked. “What?”

“What?”

What?

“I see, hyung didn’t tell you.” A pause. “Me and Yoongi-hyung are undergoing a training under BigHit but not as idols. We’re working our way to be producers so if you debut in the future I’m sure we’ll have lots of projects together.”

The younger’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yeah. Really.” Namjoon laughed. “Man, Jin-hyung talks about you a lot and now I have to agree with him. You do look like a rabbit.”

“It’s the teeth, isn’t it?” Jungkook sulked and glanced at where Yoongi is currently sprawled on. He looked like a starfish on Namjoon’s bed.

Namjoon hums under his breath as he opened a program in his computer and fixed his table to make more room. He got rid of empty bowls and cups. “I’m guessing you don’t have any background when it comes to making music, right?”

“Yeah, but I’ve seen Yoongi-hyung do…stuff?”

A snort. “Knowing Yoongi-hyung, I’m sure he never bothered to teach you the basics.”

“I can ing hear you, Namjoon.”

“Sorry. Anyway, move closer I’ll teach you the basics.”

 

It was seven in the evening when Yoongi had to drag a whining Jungkook out of Namjoon’s apartment.

“We really need to go, Jin-hyung will be home soon.”

“Hyung, are we going back to his place soon? Namjoon-hyung’s really cool!”

“I’m cooler than him. I’ll show you when we get home.”

Jungkook beamed at that. “So you’re going to teach me too?”

Yoongi rolled his eyes in annoyance but there was a small smile on his lips, Jungkook didn’t miss it. “Why are you so eager to learn s? I hope you have the same enthusiasm when it comes to school work.”

“But Namjoon-hyung is really cool, I want to be like him.”

“Goodness , you only met him for like, what, four hours and you’re already worshipping his ? Sorry but prepare yourself to be disappointed in the future.”

Before Jungkook can even let out a response (preferably an insult), Yoongi’s phone went off, blasting Barbie girl.

Yoongi froze in place, his eyes widening in realization as he turned to Jungkook “It’s Seokjin, he set it as his ringtone to make fun of me in public” before answering the phone.

“Remind me again to change your ringtone in my phone, you’re embarrassing me with Barbie girl.”

The younger turned his attention away from Yoongi. He tuned out their conversation as he allowed the breeze of summer night pass through him. The street is crowded by people in a hurry to go home. There are men wearing suits almost running with their phone on their ear, teenage boys with their skateboard, and a few girls chattering a bit too loud. A boy bumped into his shoulder while chasing after a girl while he shouts apologies. Jungkook groaned under his breathe, he didn’t even apologize.

He glanced at the coffee shop around the corner. It looked old, if it wasn’t for the lights and a few people entering and walking out of the establishment, Jungkook will mistook it as some kind of a horror house.

“Ah, yeah. We’re in front of it now I’ll go get your coffee. I know. I know. What the hell, hyung the bathroom wasn’t that messy when I left!”

They stopped in front of the old coffee shop. “Yeah, we’ll go straight home after this. Bye. I love you.”

Yoongi just stood in front of the shop with his phone on his ears for a few seconds. No words, no movements.

The younger boy frowned. “Hyung?”

Yoongi almost jumped in surprise as he put his phone down. He placed a hand on his chest and gave Jungkook a scandalized look. “What the ?”

“Sorry, you were just frozen in place. I was wondering if we’re going to get anything here? I’m starving.”

“Yeah, sorry.” He kept his phone in his pocket and pushed the glass door open.

Jungkook followed him inside with a heavy heart. He copied his footsteps carefully, not missing a step. He wondered if he copied Yoongi’s footsteps, if he tries to become him, Seokjin will look at him the same way he looks at Yoongi.

He quickly shook the idea off his head, it won’t get him anywhere. Seokjin is happy with him, there’s nothing he can do.

He needs to understand.