Chapter 1

Does it matter?

There are lots of things that Jungkook is thankful of, even at a young age of six. He’s thankful for his mother and father for giving him toys and cookies and he’s thankful for his older brother for giving him cool drawings even though sometimes he makes the younger cry.

Jungkook’s curious eyes scanned the classroom full of kids in his age. All of them are holding different colors of crayons and doodling on a paper that was in front of them, given by their teacher. He stares at his own blank paper as he feels his teacher walking to his direction. Confused, Jungkook turned his head to the brunette female as she gives him a sweet smile.

“Jungkook, is there something wrong why you haven’t started yet?”

Jungkook furrowed his brows together.

“Ah, let’s talk about it. Is it okay to sit with you?”

The younger blinked, nodding his head.

The teacher took the empty chair next to Jungkook. “So, who’s your hero? You can draw your mother, or your father in there.”

He shook his head, pouting a bit. “I want to draw Jin-hyung.”

“Jin-hyung? Is he your older brother?”

“No. He lives near our house. He’s really nice, he always takes care of me when no one is home and helps me with my homework.” Jungkook murmured, feeling a strange sensation in his chest as he talks about his hyung.

“That’s nice. Why won’t you draw him?”

Jungkook’s grip on the prink crayon tightened as he thinks of why he can’t draw his hyung. He remained silent for a solid minute, his teacher patiently waiting for his answer.

And in that moment, a six years old Jungkook found the right word to describe why he can’t with his limited vocabulary. He remembers his father teaching the word to him to describe his mother.  

“He’s beautiful.”

And he truly is, he thinks his hyung is too beautiful and he finds it hard to recreate something beautiful.

  -x-

Later that day, Jungkook found himself waiting in his classroom as he stares at his teacher posting the drawings that they made earlier on the wall. He saw his own work with a big star on the bottom part with a note that says ‘very good’. He feels proud with it as the teacher places it right on the middle for everyone to see.

“Jungkook, do you want me to call your parents? It’s getting late.”

His classmates had left an hour ago and he was the only one left waiting for someone to fetch him.

The younger male shook his head no, aware that his parents might be busy today but he knows someone will arrive for him (most of the time it’s his older brother). It makes him sad that his parents don’t have enough time to spend with him. He would usually listen to his classmates talking about how they went to the zoo during the weekend or how they went to the town to eat lots of great food with the names that Jungkook never heard of and he wonders why his parents doesn’t take him anywhere, like the zoo or an amusement park. He gets jealous to the point that it goes overboard and he gets angry. Causing him to throw sharp and harsh words to his classmates that would get him into trouble. Then, his teacher would call his parents about it and ask them to come over but they usually couldn’t make it. Too busy with work and the cycle repeats.

 He stares at the window of his classroom, watching the raindrops fall on the glass while fighting the urge to draw on the fog that is forming on the window. It looks tempting but he doesn’t want to move from where he is sitting, he doesn’t want to leave the comfort of his chair.

As if on cue, he could hear hurried footsteps from the corridor that was followed by the sound of the door opening. Jungkook’s eyes lightened up, hoping that it was for him as he turned his head to the doorway. He was right, the person came for him. There, standing on the doorway, holding the doorknob awkwardly was his Jin-hyung who is still wearing his school uniform and his school bag pack resting on his left shoulder. His hair looks disheveled, his tie is crooked, and there are visible water stains on his uniform but it doesn’t matter. He still looks stunning as he usually is when his hair is perfectly tamed and his uniform perfectly ironed in the morning.

“Jin-hyung!”

The said boy smiled, greeting the teacher in the classroom before he walked closer to the younger boy who is now jumping up and down from his seat. “Jin-hyung!!”

“Your brother won’t be able to take you home so you’ll have me today.” He said as he ruffled the boy’s hair. “Do you have your raincoat with you?”

The younger boy eagerly nodded his head as he opens his bag pack to take out a red (bunny designed—because his older brother insisted he looks like one so he should get this design) raincoat. He quickly puts in on, wanting to go home as soon as possible.

The older male took Jungkook’s bag. “Thank you for taking care of him.” He bows to the teacher.

“Don’t worry about it.” She smiles.

“This is Jin-hyung!! He’s five years older than me but he’s really really cool!! Cooler than my brother!!” Jungkook beamed to his teacher, holding his Jin-hyung’s hand.

“Yes, he is.” She chuckled. “Take care on your way home.”

Seokjin bowed again for the last time, bidding his farewell (with Jungkook’s loud and excited “bye bye!!” ) before he leads the younger male outside. Their hands swinging, hand in hand, as they walked and Jungkook starts to talk about his day.

His hyung listened carefully to him. Smiling every now and then and Jungkook liked it. He likes it when his Jin-hyung listens to him and pays attention to him. He likes it when his hyung takes care of him, helps him with his homework, takes him to the park, teaches him how to ride a bicycle, and tell him stories about the adventures of a young prince.

Most importantly, he likes it when his hyung smiles because of him. He always made him smile and he wants his hyung to smile too. So, he tries his best to always impress the older boy in his own small ways.  

Sometimes his mom would saying that he loves his Jin-hyung a bit too much and that he should give some love to his brother too. He’ll blink curiously because he loves his brother too and he loves Jin-hyung too. What’s the difference? He figured out maybe he loves his Jin-hyung more. Does it matter?

“ah..here....” Seokjin pulled out a small umbrella from the umbrella rack in the entrance of the building, handing it to Jungkook. It’s a red bunny umbrella (again, his older brother picked it). He saw the taller male open an umbrella for himself, a pink one.

“Pink suits you well, hyung.” Jungkook said as they walk home, looking up at his hyung in admiration.

“Really now? Taetae said it looks girlish.”

“Aishhh, Taetae! He’s always annoying! Don’t believe him.” He pouts, Taetae is his hyung’s younger brother who visits him a lot to play with his toys. He likes Taetae too (and Jiminie, Taetae’s best friend) but he likes his Jin-hyung more.

Seokjin smiled as he hums a song that Jungkook has grown familiar to. It’s an old lullaby that he always sings to him when he needs to take a nap in the afternoon (because as hard it is to make Jungkook wake up in the morning, making him fall asleep for afternoon naps is equally hard).

They walked in silence, the sound of the water dripping onto their umbrellas is adding music to Seokjin’s humming. Jungkook looked up the sky, even though Jungkook finds the raindrop sounds calming, he silently prayed that the rain goes away soon because he wants to play in the park with his hyung.

“We’re almost there.” He heard the taller boy say and Jungkook smiles as wide as he can.

At a young age of six, Jungkook is thankful about a lot of things but if there’s one thing that he will forever be grateful to it will be to his Jin-hyung. For always taking a good care of him when his family isn’t home, for always helping him reach the jar of cookies on the top of their refrigerator, for giving him piggy back rides, for taking him to the park to play, and for always making his chest feel warm. It’s a nice feeling as Jungkook had always thought. He likes it and he wishes he can make his Jin-hyung feel the same warm feeling in his chest too as he tightens his grip on his hyung’s hand.

Jungkook is too young to realize that he admires his hyung a bit too much, he still couldn’t grasp the concept of love but he just takes it as it is and lets the emotion flow through him. After all, he’s happy the way things are.