Chapter 21

Does it matter?

Thank you for all the messages on the previous chapter, to my twitter, and tumblr TT TT Thank you so much!! And I hope I won't make you guys wait anymore on the next future chapters.

Anyway, heads up, this chapter is completely different from the previous one (20th chapter) I really need too say that because you guys might get confused with the sudden change.

The 20th chapter marks Jungkook growing up from all of this (you can interpret in whatever way you want). It could be from his puppy love, mentality, physically, or something. It's up to you. But since that's the case, he would need to focus on himself to be better and we won't be getting much from him so yeah. Here we are.

We can say that this is like the second part of the fic? IDK HAHAHAHA

This chapter takes place 2 years after the previous one.

Some warning: uh mentions of underage thing but nothing really happens. It was just implied but nothing really happened hahaha you probably won't even notice it but I thought I should say that here.

I'm talking too much. As usual, all mistakes are mine.
Enjoy~


 

Seokjin blinked his sleepiness away as he stared at the floor that he was mopping. A group of students left a mess earlier when they left, but at least they had the decency to apologize and look guilty about it.

The fast-food restaurant was empty, save for some of his co-workers in the verge of falling asleep as they try wipe the counters clean. They have been wiping the same spot for ten minutes already.

“Seokjin.” He heard his name and he turned his head to the source of the sound. In front of the door for the kitchen stood his manager with a small paper on her hand. He took few steps closer, bringing the mop with him.

The older woman glanced at him before she handed him a few bills. “I ran out of coffee, can you run to the convenience store and buy me some? Add a creamer too. The usual brand.”

He accepted the bill and the older woman took the mop from his grip. “I’ll bring this to the back to clean, be careful out.”

 

The air clung to him like a second skin. His uniform is definitely not thick enough for him to run outside the almost empty streets at two in the morning. He let out a heavy breath and suddenly, he felt the itch to light a cigarette (but he remembered his uniform doesn’t have any pockets, and he’s definitely not allowed to bring cigarettes with him while he’s on duty).

He spotted the familiar store at the corner of the street, he was welcomed by the warmth of the store as the automatic doors opened for him. He immediately went to the aisle where he could get a pack of coffee and creamer. The cashier on the counter who looked like the same age as Seokjin had his attention on the flat screen television on the wall behind him. As soon as Seokjin reached the counter, his eyes focused on the show. It was a replay of a show that aired earlier this afternoon.

It showed a new idol group who just debuted called BTS, or Bangtan Sonyeondan. The camera showed the group performing their debut songs, with Jungkook dancing right in the middle of the formation. Jimin and Hoseok were on his side, and Yoongi and Namjoon are at the wings side of the formation.

Seokjin almost let out a snort. He vaguely remembered Namjoon and Yoongi whining when it was decided that instead of working as producers, they will be trained as idols.

(“I don’t dance, hyung. You know me well.” Yoongi whined on the phone, with Namjoon agreeing somewhere in the background.)

As soon as the performance was finished, the cashier let out an undignified yelp when he realized there was a customer in front of him. He apologized and gave a ninety degrees bow.

“It’s fine.” Seokjin waved his hand and placed the items on the counter.

“Thank god.” The cashier murmured as he scanned the items. “My sister was watching them live earlier, she’s already a huge fan and I guess I can understand the appeal.”

“Really?” Seokjin stared at the screen flashing the total amount and handed him his payment.

“Yeah, and she’s got it so bad with their youngest. Uh, the Jung something. The one in the middle.”

Ah, Seokjin thought. Jungkook. He remained quiet as the cashier counted Seokjin’s change. The name sending his stomach with weird emotions and butterflies and he badly wanted to throw it up to get it over with already.

If only that was easy.

“She really kept talking about them that I think I know them more than I know my sister.” He chuckled. “Like how they trained for two years, their birthdays, hometowns. Jesus, it doesn’t end.”

Seokjin felt the guilt wash over him. He’s not even sure when Yoongi’s exact birthday is but he knew it’s on March. He always forgot the exact date and knowing that strangers knew it better than he does made him feel horrible.

 

 

His shift ended at three in the morning. He dragged his feet to the unfamiliar streets of his new apartment. When Yoongi moved out for his training, two months after Jungkook left, Seokjin took it upon himself to find a new apartment. Somewhere cheaper because without Yoongi’s help with the rent, he definitely won’t be able to keep their old one.

He balanced a large paper bag to his left arm that contained takeout food from the fast-food restaurant he worked in, while he fished his pockets for the keys.

Before he could even feel his keys in his pocket, he heard the door unlock. It slowly opened, as if the person inside was careful and making sure he’s not opening the door to a burglar.

(They do live in the dangerous part of the city after all, but he can’t be choosy at this point.)

There was a sigh from the boy inside, Taehyung, in his SpongeBob pajamas and messy bed hair when he saw it was just his older brother.

“Honestly, I’ll never be able to get used to you coming home at this hour without thinking I’m going to get murdered.”

Seokjin rolled his eyes as Taehyung took the paper bag from him, inspecting the food inside. He removed his shoes, placed them on the shoe rack, and invited himself in.

“You’re such a drama queen. You don’t have to stay up late for me.”

“But I’m starving!” Taehyung whined as he set the food on the coffee table that worked as their dining table most of the time. “I’m getting tired of this food.”

Seokjin plopped next to his younger brother who started wolfing down the burgers. “You can cook. We have a kitchen.”

Taehyung said something that Seokjin didn’t catch but he didn’t bother to make Taehyung repeat himself as he felt himself dozing off. Maybe Taehyung can just carry him to their room later.

 

-x-

 

He heard the disappointment in his mother’s tone from the phone call when he confessed that he couldn’t continue college anymore because of mental exhaustion. She thought that keeping the scholarship was too much of a stress for their eldest son but Seokjin didn’t find the heart to correct her.

As the call ended, his phone felt cold and heavy in his hand. He tossed it to the bed and lit a cigarette while opening the window in his room. Why can’t he just straight up tell his family that he lost his free education on his first year because he was a coward?

Because I’m too prideful. He reminded himself. He wanted to be that perfect son. He needed to protect that mature image of him that was stuck in the minds of the older people back in his hometown who wanted him to take their granddaughters out for a date. His perfect son-in-law image with charming smile and polite words. He wanted to hear more of their praises, especially when they compare him to the people his age who liked to fool around.

He had this pride that he had at a very young age to be the perfect son and soon, he realized his childhood was stripped off him. He never experienced what it felt like to be a child without the burden of keeping up a good image and it’s too late for him to be young. Now that everyone is expecting him to have a successful life and a girlfriend to boast.

God, if only they knew how ed up he is right now.

And then there’s Jungkook. That sweet Jungkook. He’s fully aware of the not so innocent admiration that the young boy has for him and it scared him. He needed to push him away because he had a bright future ahead of him and he doesn’t see himself as a part of it. Jungkook had to experience his youth until he gets tired of it and Seokjin won’t take it away from him. Besides, isn’t the already intimidating to look at?

And his pride is hurting Yoongi. An important friend who loves him a bit too much. How he endured all those nights with Seokjin’s mind floating somewhere else is a mystery to him.  

(He remembered how desperate Yoongi would cling to his body, all sweaty and . How he would say that he’s Yoongi. His name is Yoongi. To say his name when they make love because Seokjin kept saying another name unconsciously and Seokjin would cry because how could he? This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong. This is wrong.

This is--

“I’m Yoongi, not Jungkook. Please.”)

He heard his phone ring and he stared at it for a minute before he properly disposed his cigarette and walked to his bed. He took a sit on the edge and fished his phone from the pillows where it landed.

From: Mom

Taehyung will be studying there in the city. Take a good care of him.

 

-x-

 

Seokjin had more time to work when he stopped his studies and he needed extra money anyway, to help Taehyung with his expensive school materials because he decided to take medicine for college. He’s thankful that it’s Taehyung’s vacation at the moment, he had enough time to save up.

(He could have chosen an easier one, Seokjin would sometimes complain to the dozen of dogs that he walks in the park during the day as a job.)

After his morning walk with the dogs, he went to the grocery to shop. After an hour, he had bags of groceries that occupied both of his hands. He passed by a music store that showed a poster of BTS. His feet dragged him inside and spotted their first album.

He set the bags down to take a copy and stare at it. Namjoon sent him a copy before it was released in the public with signs from the members except for Jungkook (he wondered why but he never asked. It’s probably better not to know. The younger boy hasn’t even contacted him since he left and Seokjin felt guilty. He knew that Jungkook never took rejection really well).

He figured he should purchase a copy, right? He heard somewhere that it will help them rank up or something. He’s not really familiar with how the music industry worked, with all the rankings and stuff but he purchased a copy anyway. It was tucked in his grocery bags as he walked home.

(Not without filling up a raffle form first. The young lady in the cashier informed him that he could win an entry to a fansign event.)

 

Taehyung was already home when he reached their apartment. He helped his older brother put the groceries in the fridge and to their respective places in the cabinet. He was on the last bag when he noticed the album.

“Ah! You bought a copy, hyung! They already gave you a free signed copy right?”

“Oh.” Seokjined glanced at Taehyung who is currently inspecting the album. “I just thought that I should purchase a copy.”

Taehyung hummed under his breathe before he ran to the living room, insert the CD in the player, and blasted the music in their apartment. The music started with the intro and with Taehyung grinning at the photobook that came with the album while sitting on the wooden floor.

He turned the page and stopped when he reached Jimin’s photos. Seokjin was surprised that the smile didn’t leave Taehyung’s face, if anything, his smile looked sincere unlike what he had just few seconds ago that showed excitement.

“He still looks like a rice cake even though he has those intimidating muscles. It’s funny to look at.” He said, turning the photobook to the next page.

“Are you alright?” he walked closer to his brother. The music is now playing a song and he could hear Yoongi’s voice.

“Huh?” Taehyung looked up to see his older brother staring at him with a concerned look.

“I mean, he did break up with you out of the blue.”

“Ah,” Taehyung said, closing the photobook, “It’s fine. I figured he wanted to focus on what he wanted to be. I was probably a burden.” He shrugged.

“Taehyung—“ Seokjin frowned.

“I get it. That’s probably not that case but it’s better if I think that way. He never gave me a proper closure so I was left wondering what the just happened. I don’t really know. I’m just glad he’s doing what he loves. Jungkook too.”

Seokjin’s throat tightened when he heard Jungkook’s name and as if the fate is playing games with him, he could hear Jungkook’s voice from the song.

When Taehyung noticed how quiet Seokjin became, he pulled his brother down to sit next to him. “I should be the one asking you if you’re okay. Don’t pretend I don’t notice you smoking twice the amount that you usually do these past few days.”

Seokjin made himself comfortable on the floor, crossing his legs to avoid hitting the coffee table. “I’m fine, just stressed.”

Taehyung doesn’t look convinced. “Stop trying so hard. No matter what happens you’re still my best hyung.”

Seokjin couldn’t help but to scoff at that. “You brat, I’m your only brother. It’s natural that I’m the best for you.”

The younger boy grinned and snuggled Seokjin’s side. “That’s my point, even if you up you’re still the best. No one would take that spot from you, yeah?”

Seokjin laughed and let himself rest into his brother’s warmth. He really did miss his brother a lot, even though he’s a handful. He complained, whined, and yelled in the house eighty percent of the time but at times like this, he was glad he’s here with him. Even though he can’t provide him the best.

“Take a nap, you have work later.” He heard Taehyung say and he almost missed it because of the song playing.  

 

-x-

 

He read the message on his phone. Once, twice, thrice but it’s still the same. He stared at the message informing him that he won a raffle and he has a ticket for BTS’ fansign event.

He felt a strong tug on his arm that brought him back to the reality. He saw that the dogs he was walking in the park are making an attempt to attack at a cat who is now meowing at a safe distance.

His hand, the one holding his phone felt cold and he started to shake. Oh.

Seokjin's thoughts were interrupted with twelve dogs barking furiously and he felt the hair at his nape freeze with the hardening cold stares that the people are giving to him.

He thought that he could just give the ticket to someone else. He doesn’t need to go.

Maybe he’ll ask the convenience store guy, he could give it to his sister.