Black Stingray

Training wheels

 

“Yoo-ssi! “Jungkook yelled out for his classmate. She and her friends stopped in their tracks.

“Go, go away.” Jungkook said to get the harpies away from her. She looked up at him, feeling a bit iffy about the situation. The quietest, most antisocial person in her class just called out for them to be alone? Wouldn't anybody in her position find it odd?

“Whatever, freak.” The two said as they passed them by, leaving them alone to talk in the crowded school hall.

“Wha- what? Jungkook-ah, what do you want?” She said trying to sound firm to the rude boy. The boy, even before the question was shifting his weight on his legs and staring left and right, uncomfortable to be talking to somebody in the middle of so many people.

“Yoo…it’s hard for me to ta-ta-talk bu-but c-can we go t-ta-ta-lk somewhere more p-p-p-pri-pri-private?” He stuttered out his words and she nodded as they both walked to sit on the bench of the P.E. field outside of the school, where nobody was currently doing anything at. She didn’t care for his stuttering, she still liked him no matter. The girl thought he was intelligent and cute. He would love to date him, he seemed interesting and mysterious.

“Yes?” She asked. Jungkook hated himself having to talk to his classmates, and he usually wouldn’t. He wants to say a lot of things to a lot of people, to tell them off, thank them with long speeches but he just isn’t able to.

“I am a black stingray, Yoo-ssi. “

“Oh? And you can drop the honorifics, we're classmates, it's fine.” She answered confused, as she looked ahead of them instead of directly at Jungkook, trying to imagine what he's talking about.

“Do you know wh-wh-why w-wo-would a stingray be black?”

“No.” She responded, not seeing where the conversation was going. She thought they would speak about yesterday, and not sea creatures.

“I am a black stingray because I can’t blend in, I am blind and around me all the stingrays blend in wh-wh-while all I can see is black.”

“Oh! Is that why it’s black?” She concluded. Jungkook knew she would, she was the third smartest person in the class, after all.

“Mm! I’m sorry my actions ha-have hurt you. “ He said with a straight face trying to comfort her as they sat, feeling the wind on their skin.

“It’s alright, I expected to be rejected the moment I saw you change, you’re so handsome now. You’ll probably find a prettier girl either way.” She said shyly. Jungkook’s ears were turning red from the compliments but he had to gather his thoughts.

“I’m not rejecting you…yo-your…friends aren’t your friends. They’re using you for social power play, it’s quite obvious.” The man said, trying to express himself thoughtfully. Since he has thought about why the hell would those girls be around Yoo? It made no sense. It was social gain, a power play. People like her and Jungkoko shouldn’t get used and abused by others anymore, they’re too smart for that foolishness.

“Huh?”

“I-you…people li-like us don’t have friends. The-the-they are taking advantage of you, you’re not threatening them with your uality around other males, aka you’re not competition so they accept you as the less desirable friend.” Jungkook said quickly without a filter nor stuttering as he smiled at the end of his statement. He always knew what was going on around him. He knew it, it was almost mathematical. Human uality controls everything in the end. The boy had no interest in the girl what so ever for reasons that didn’t have to be explained to her. He wanted to give her a friendly piece of advice. It was the only way he could say it, point blank and shoot.

All he ever was, was being taken advantage by his peers so he can’t stand by as they do the same to her. After Taehyung broke his heart, he knew when he was not wanted, it took him a long time to learn though. He has learned now and he will know for the rest of his life when he is wanted and when he is not and avoid forming new friendships at all cost.

“Oh…thanks…I mean …it’s nice to live in an imaginary land where we could be just like regular people.” She said really harshly about herself.

“Don’t be too sad. You’re normal enough, you’ll find so-someone. “ Jungkook tried complimenting her. She smiled back weakly at the bad compliment. Not all are winners, but he meant well?

“People always said that you were cold and that you didn’t care. But you do. Thanks.” She said.

 “Uh, yeah.” Jungkook said as he didn’t want to discuss the remarks being constantly made about him. she smiled and suddenly hugged him out of nowhere, the raven haired boy didn’t reciprocate since he didn’t like hugs, kisses, hand holding or human contact. So uncomfortable. She broke off the hug to say something.

“You sure talk a lot! Why do you never talk around other people?”

“Not worth it. Wo-wo-words are empty in the end. A-actions count. Get rid of those hyenas that surround you and... goodbye.” Jungkook said over dramatically to the girl and stood up and walked away since he felt a task of the day was done. He was alone and she could be alone too if she wanted, it wasn’t that hard. She ran up to him and grabbed his arm.

“Yah! Let’s be friends.” She said as she smiled in a friendly manner. Jungkook ripped his hand away from her grip and started walking away, instead of replying. Dear God were all people this gross and clingy?

“Whatever.” He said to make her happy before he left and she jumped in joy. She has one friend that’s a start. Jungkook didn’t want any new friends in his class. Ever. He’s had enough of that for a lifetime.

For some reason, as Jungkook opened the door of their hallway, Taehyung was at the door as they were exiting, Jungkook almost hit him on the way out to add to it. It was a close call. Yoo and Jungkook gave him an inquiring look, not knowing why he was there. Taehyung quickly grew more aware at his creepiness and shifted his irises left and right as if he was the hamburgler getting caught by Ronald Mcdonald and Birdie. And oh boy, they could smell the hamburgers from his backpack.

“Yah! What are you looking at me for? You’re the two going around on secret dates around the school. Aish!” He yelled at the two of them as he awkwardly stomped out of their sight.

“Alright..” Yoo said, not knowing what to think. Jungkook was already five feet in front of her from how much he cared about the outburst or his new friendship. He had today’s exam to worry about.

 

X

 

“ Hello, everyone! “ The middle aged alchoholic came into the class like a wrecking ball to ruin everybody's good mood's  as everybody groaned for the overly cheerful history teacher. Sometimes he was in a good mood, aka it meant he actually wanted to work. It set the mood for the rest of the day.

“Hey, hey hey! I have good news, so kids worry not!” The public school teacher that oozed of cigarettes and dread said, contrasting his appearance with his mood. Taehyung was nervous as he looked at Jimin picking his nose on the other side of the room and Jungkook cleaning his nails with his technical pen. Everyone was intensely calm whenever the teacher was in the room, but what if they had a surprise pop quiz? Taehyung never studied but it still . He usually had time before he didn’t study.

“It’s the time! All of you! Have been! Waiting for!” The teacher announced as he made Yoo perk up. She was the only person listening after all, she respected each teacher equally for reasons unknown to Jungkook. A professor really had to earn his respect.

“Ohhhh, yes! It is, g-g-g-g-g-roup work time!” He cheered, a cough was heard in the room after the announcement. Otherwise, it was dead silent.

“Yes! Can I work with Jungkook?” Yoo asked, happily, punching the desk with her enthusiasm and her fist.

“Nope!” The professor responded back equally excited with a grin on his face.

“Why?!” She got mad.

“Because I said so, besides, that’s unfair.”

“Why? At least we won’t be the one’s doing all the work! We’ll share it! Who knows, maybe we’ll discover a time machine for you to go back to history, teacher! Besides, Jungkook would love to work with me.” She exclaimed. The teacher looked at Jungkook for a response.

The raven haired boy responded with turning his head to the window instead of the teacher.

“Err…yea…anyway, I already wrote a list! Everybody on the right and the left tables with be working with their seating buddy, plus a person or two from the middle row of the class! Fun!” The teacher exclaimed as Jungkook responded with a deep sigh, looking out the window, not getting over dramatic like everybody else, but feeling pretty angry about it.

 He didn’t want to work with the idiot copying every sentence off of his assignments in class. He’ll be doing the project on his own, but he doesn’t want the fruits of his labor going to the ape that never studied in his entire life, yet somehow doesn’t fail the year every year, which amazes Jungkook. Taehyung, the 'ape' in question felt awkward to say the least. He and Jimin always did assignments together with Hoseok, but now he had to burden the smartest kid in class and he was very aware.

Besides, it won’t be any fun to add to that. Just pressure and actual work. The teacher was listing the groups and finally the time for their group came and they got paired up with Bambam and Yugyeom.

After the bell rang the two came up to their desk to discuss how they will do the history project on World War 2 in Europe. Taehyung shrugged and honestly none of them had fairytale grades so none of them were fit to be the leader, until a usually mute someone spoke up.

“I will do all the work…I’ll write your names, mm...yeah...no worries..” Jungkook piped up from not speaking at all as Taehyung and Yugyeom exasperated from relief and went on their recess.

"Thanks, Jungkook! You're awesome." Yugyeom said as he left the classroom.

Bambam sat next to him though, together with Yoo who invited herself as his only ‘friend’ in class. According to herself, mostly.

“ Uh, you don’t have to do everything. I think that’s unfair.” Bambam said, while not being the brightest student he loved a few subjects and one of them was history. He never spoke to Jungkook, so this was strange. But the kid can’t be too bad.

“…”

“Let’s get to know each other!” 'Let's not.' Jungkook thought to himself.

“Your friends…are waiting up on you….do you want to…make th-them wait?” Jungkook questioned the male politely, not meeting his eyes, wanting him to leave. Yoo just watched the conversation, slightly worried because a popular kid was praying around poor Jungkook. She wanted to tell him to piss off! She did in her head. Of course. The popular kids are terrifying to even think about. She wouldn’t actually confront them.

“They’re probably outside talking about whatever. By the way didn’t you used to be friends with Tae? It’s strange, he especially always talks as if he hates you.” Bambam accidentally slipped the truth. Yoo shot him a stare saying ‘You’ve said too much, stop talking.’

“…Just let me do it.” Jungkook said, ignoring the question about Taehyung.

It was all great until he started distancing himself so much from Jungkook that he completely shut him out of his life. Jungkook felt as when he needed a friend the most he was the loneliest. Suddenly, when you’re depressed and you aren’t fun, cheerful and quirky enough, people want to cut you out of their lives. It was the way of the world. If you weren't an entertainer or you didn't help them out in some way, people won't allow you to drag them down. They will cut you out.

Taehyung told him exactly this: ‘You were always weird but, you’re not fun as you used to be, why don’t you just stop being such a downer, maybe then we’ll start hanging out with you? You can barely talk now, you keep stuttering. Why do you keep doing it? ‘ Was what Taehyung told him after he noticed Jungkook being noticeably clingy and attached to the boy after losing everyone the youth held dear to him. His blood, his only family. Jeon Jungkook didn’t know how to cope. A week after that he couldn’t get out of bed, a month after that he was the worst kid in school grades wise. He knew if he went to school and sat next to his best friend in the cafeteria he would just stand up and walk away with his friends, Jungkook followed him. The boy being chased and everyone at the lunch table would just get up again and again until Jungkook got the hint and never went to the cafeteria again.

Jungkook didn’t understand why he did it, he didn’t understand why would people treat him in such a way? If they hate him so much why don't they just leave him alone instead of picking on him or trying to be their friend? 

He saw Taehyung and his friends laughing, the people from his class, the people on the streets smile daily, but he couldn’t for the life of him understand, why? His face was rarely painted with a smile, a permanent frown overshadowed the small face as years went on, aging him. ‘The robot, the study machine, nerd, jerk, , rude, off-putting, ugly, freak, ’ he heard all his life since his depression so he became just that.

They said Jeon Jungkook was cold and inhuman when the same people telling him those things were what made him become that way.

All he wanted was someone to love him. The adoption center was that place, now being away from it he felt more and more depressed, falling back into his own patterns of trying to find a person that loves him. That person will never again be Kim Taehyung.

“Jungkook, hey. I will go to your house today, okay? Then the next day you can come to mine! “ The other boy said cheerfully to the sitting Jungkook, he looked pretty doofy and wimpy for a popular person.

“…” Whatever. Jungkook thought, wishing to be alone to think instead.

 

X

 

Jungkook was out of the doors of the classroom, with someone grabbing onto his shoulders out of nowhere, surprising him, rudely. Yoo hugged him which he didn’t appreciate but at least it wasn’t rude. The ten centimeters taller man shook the boy off of his shoulder.

“Hello, friend! “ The overly happy boy black haired boy was seen again speaking with the gloomy boy. It was strange and everybody glared at him. Especially the popular kids that guy hangs out with.

Taehyung saw the entire situation and ran up to them.

“What’s going on? Is this for the project? Should I come too?” Taehyung wanted to know. Besides, Bambam shouldn’t be around Jungkook if it was for anything but the project. Not that he was jealous, but who knows what he has on his mind.

“Me and this friend are going to work on our project, don’t worry!” Bambam said, nicely so that Taehyung doesn’t have to worry about it. Jungkook thought he was just that. He was nice. Which was suspicious to say the least, but the other’s presence was the most irritating one. ‘Taehyung can off now.’ The youngest thought to himself.

Yugyeom saw them and greeted Bambam, but passed ahead after he heard what they were doing, he’s still getting his A+ so he doesn’t care what they do. Simple as that.

Taehyung had no reason to care., why was he still here? It perplexed the boys who were heading to work on the project.

“I’ll go with you guys!” Taehyung stated, not being offensive whatsoever. Whenever Taehyung opens his mouth the gates of hell open and irritated him to the maximum.

“Don’t.” Jungkook shot back, coolly. Bambam didn’t know there was tension between them, which Taehyung chooses to ignore and not apologize for. He probably thought he did nothing wrong either way. 

“It’s a school project I’m allowed to participate.” Taehyung stated, starting to get overly defensive. The boy that used to be his best friend has had enough of him being around him, he has had enough of him in school, he doesn't want to deal with him outside of it.

“Ju-just, off and le-leave me the alone, you annoying ing pest!” Jungkook completely snapped as he sped up his walking and Bambam stood for a while in shock , staring at Taehyung then ran up behind Jungkook. The boy still had some of his old self left inside of him, he could be left quiet and unbothered and he wouldn't harm a fly, but once you irritate him enough he won't stand for it. It was something inside of his head that tells him this isn't how you should be treated, even thought Taehyung said nothing wrong, really.

“Jungkook, should I come another time?!” He yelled after the other, wobbling after him like a penguin.

Taehyung was left standing, knowing not how to respond. What the hell was that kid thinking, speaking to him in such a manner for everybody to see as well? He was humiliated.

 Jimin came up behind him since he expected them to walk home together. Jimin grinned at the situation and decided to whisper into Taehyung’s ear. Taehyung didn’t want to be seen around Jungkook, he should be grateful. But he was cocky, thinking he is better than him just because his own father likes him better than his son. Bastard, that’s all that he was. A parentless bastard that everybody coddled because of his brain. Jimin thought.

“Wow, he got brave, eh? Tae, you can’t get treated like this, we need to show the kid a lesson. Are you up for it?” He said to Taehyung, who just wanted to know what he did wrong, not to take revenge but he always did what Jimin told him to. He wishes him and Jungkook weren’t brought to such circumstances, that he didn’t hate him. But he stole his step father’s love because he was selfish. Just because Taehyung didn’t study as hard, he worth less. He wished he had his best friend back.

“Okay.”

- Just a few hours before Yoongi got the call from Jungkook -

~

“Annyeong, noona.” Namjoon said mockingly to Yoongi as he passed him and his ‘boys’ by, the man tensed up and looked over his shoulders at the people spray painting on the walls.

“Wow, look who it is. Babi..Barbie doll, rap monster and what’s your name, the monkey that entertains them, Jackson? I don’t even know the rest of you. How sad. Itaewon celebrities, eh? Spray painting like little kids.” The pink haired man fully turned around to tell them this. He said rudely, pissing literally everybody around him off. That’s his charm. Rap monster was a mocking nickname, self given, nothing needed to be added to it.

“You always got a mouth on you, no matter how much we beat your .” Namjoon said calmly with a small smirk covering his face.

“My gets a lot more pounding than you’ll ever give it. But hey, let’s stop this arguing, we were both friends, both musicians once and I have heard your new mixtape on soundcloud, finally, finally got to it.” He said as he smiled sweetly. Namjoon stared at him together with the four other guys, in wonder at such a quick change of demeanor.

“It was like the devil my eardrums! Go yourself! ” He spat out as Namjoon dropped the spray paint can, making it clack on the pavement as he started running after him. Yoongi, started to run like a chicken without a head yet again because he doesn’t want to shut his mouth when he definitely should.

“Will Bobby catch me this time? Eh?? I’d like to take it a bit rough with him oooooh~.” He said as he jumped up a tall wired fence easilly and across it, continuing to run away. He ripped his pants on it slightly, god damn it they were new as well. He was much faster than them, from years of practice, so Namjoon queued the boys to stop running.

“Let the run.” He said as he shrugged the situation off.

"His twiggy little legs can carry on for miles." He added on top of himself.

“You can’t let him talk to you like this, he always does this.” Jackson said to their leader.

“I know…I just can’t figure out where the lives. Are you doubting me?” He asked, the man responded with a shake of a head.

"Besides, we have more important things to worry about, he's not the biggest problem. Focus on work, rather than talk, Jackson." He said as he shot fear into the other, who looked at the ground then walked away from the leader. In reality he was extremely aggravated at him being mocked by his ex friend as if he was some sort of a joke. Not for too long.

~

- Jeon Jungkook's High school, present day - 

 

Jungkook was left alone, in the cold, rusty, dirty school shower. This was a public school so some of the tiles were broken off, most of them were dirty and unscrubbed.  It was fine since most people just got in, took a shower, got out, but Jungkook was sitting in a fetal position for so long he counted all the tiles on the ceiling and on the floor. One by one.

They stole his clothes and he has never felt so humiliated and belittled in his entire life. He waited until night fell and absolutely everybody got out of the school and texted his hyung to bring him some clothes.

Jin didn’t respond to the call, so Jungkook only left him a voice mail ‘Don’t worry.’

He didn’t have the strength to talk to anyone anymore, he was worn out and bruised. He just wanted to get home.

From :Jeon Jungkook, sent [17:57] “ could you please drop by the school! I am stuck a bit late at the school again you know. My clothes are dirty please. Thanks. So sorry for bothering. Im going to make it up to u I promise. If u r too busy... dotn come” Jungkook lied about his reasoning, then dropped the phone in the water on its back. 

Yoongi rolled his eyes, he didn’t want to get up and go to so far away from Itaewon, it was getting dark and freezing cold.  The man contemplated if he should just flat out say no, but realistically he had all the time in the world, even though he was a lazy head, some force dragged him to get himself up the bed and to Yongsan-gu. Maybe he could get a favor back for this, so why not?

From :Hyung, sent [18:09] : “kk you owe me one”