Wilted rose

Training wheels

Jungkook came home early because he didn’t go to the university today, the reason for it was honestly the fact that he was tired to the brink of exhaustion. So he ended up coming home at around 4 pm. Yoongi was listening to music through his earphones as he was covered with two blankets so that he doesn’t have to turn on heating, it wasn’t too cold either way because it was autumn. It was honestly the first time Jungkook saw him for longer than ten minutes, relaxing in his own home.

The mysterious man who would sometimes disappear for a few days, not to be seen by Jungkook at all. It was almost as if he left no traces of sharing the same space with him. He came into the apartment like the wind and disappeared like it as well. A very lonely feeling was left with Jungkook being all alone in the apartment. He wasn't used to it since he shared a  home with a bunch of little kids before. Who would've thought it would be this lonely to be an adult?

“Oh- I didn’t know you’d be home so soon. Sorry, I’ll leave soon.” Yoongi said as he turned to the boy while wearing a bruised and cut up on his paper cut white face. Jungkook didn’t feel right if he would’ve pointed it out. If he wouldn’t like his acne to have been pointed out, he won’t point out anything somebody cannot fix in the next ten seconds.

Yoongi felt awkward since he didn’t know how to start a conversation with a high schooler without telling them to off. Besides, he looked notably different than the first time they met each other. He often felt self-conscious about his looks, especially right now. He thought that he wouldn’t have to at least in his house. The man hasn’t calculated Jungkook’s arrival to be so soon.

“…” 

“Why…wh-why are you here so early?” Yoongi stumbled over his words, feeling as if he had to squeeze the conversation out of the boy. It was an uncomfortable situation, to make a long story short. The boy always looked at him like Bambi in the headlights, at least that is what the older would see. What if he was staring at his bruises and cuts instead of actually looking at him? Probably, since he usually doesn’t look him in the eyes, he had to be focusing on something else. The older surely has many marks to focus on that aren’t just his brown eyes.

“Tired.” Jungkook responded finally, making the other smile back politely, he put the earphones back in his ears and closed his eyes.

“Hyung.” He overheard the boy trough his earphones, then took them out again, not appreciating being disturbed. Did Jungkook not understand social ques? Did he just call him hyung? Whatever.

“I mean, Yoongissi . . .” He said as he took a break to collect himself back from his mistake.

“No, no. It’s alright. I can be your hyung. ” He said as he nodded and gave an awkward smile again. Go away, leave me alone, dude. Is what Yoongi wanted to say, clenching his fists at the thoughts. 

“...” The boy was still thinking as he looked at his worn out yellow converse. A few moments passed as Yoongi waited for him patiently, leaning his head on the back of the couch in the meanwhile.

“Um…did y-you not sleep today?” Jungkook worried. He was often clingy in the worst of ways, he didn't know how to make small talk either. How's the weather? Well, go and see the outside. What's the time? I don't know, you probably missed your bus either way. Yet he wanted to try, he really wanted to see if he improved.

“What?” Yoongi was perturbed and wished to have his alone time. Being alone for ten long years was something he was used to and he has grown to have it as the only thing he knows of. Long periods of alone time made up his life.

Jungkook panicked, this wasn't the part of the script he had in his head.

“You look…tired…you’re sleeping at 4 pm…why?” Jungkook kept on poking at his flat mate’s business. Yoongi had to bite back his tongue to not tell him something that would probably make the other stop talking to him for good. They shared an apartment so he had to be able to talk to him. Poor boy was trying his best to get out of his little world and approach the older and it showed.

“Oh, honey, don’t worry about me. Sometimes, I have nightmares, but I’m fine. Yep-uh they keep me up and then some.” He said to the boy who just now started putting away his ripped, old book bag and went to close himself in their room to change clothes the room had paper thin walls so they could still talk through it. That’s what you get for getting such a cheap apartment. Afterwards, he came out again and sat, Indian style in front of Yoongi, but shyly not looking at the pretty man in front of him but at the television instead. He will appreciate talking with him no matter what.

“What is it, Kookie? Is there something bothering you?” Yoongi questioned. This was the first time Jungkook was given a nickname.

“Wh-wh-what do y-yo-you do for work, hyung?” Jungkook questioned as he bashfully turned from looking at Yoongi to the television, turning it on with the remote. He didn't know what to ask besides that, he already knew his age. What else could he possibly want to know?

“Ah…well… a lot of bad things. You don’t have to know about them. ” He responded to the boy on the floor who was looking at the television. Jungkook wasn’t even focusing what’s in front of him all he did was listen, but the man didn't have to know that. Yoongi didn’t want to share a sob story with the boy who probably had a hard life himself as well, judging his sharing the apartment with a e situation. 

“Hyung, oh my Goodness. Are y-y-you an assassin? A d-d-drug de-dealer?” The youth asked innocently. Was that the reason he had all those cuts and bruises? Hyung was always so cool, he thought his assumption was logical enough to share.

“Kook, you wouldn’t like me as much as you knew what I did for money.” The man said as Jungkook’s stomach filled with butterflies because of the different nicknames he keeps getting called.

“We should take pride that we are making money no matter what.” Jungkook said perfectly which happens sometimes. It amazed both of them.

“I ehh…I p- I –“ The older stuttered, he really didn’t want to say it. He wasn’t proud of his job around people he gave a damn about, he could fake it until he died but he would be lying. It was a horrible job and he would love to stop doing it. But it is the only thing he knows how to do. Not something he's fond of thinking about for too long.

“I give men what they want, they pay me money for ..it. That or I go around clubs and just drug people to steal their wallets. A tricking, thief and you know... the other thing.” He admitted, being vague as he possibly could. His appearance was all he had, so when a man decided to wreck his face to a point of having no way to fix it with make up all he was left with was ing himself to the disgusting filth-bags that would take him. In the end it was always just that. A miserable collection of abuse, lies and drugs to cope with it all.

“Oh.” Was what Jungkook said. He was zoned out once again, not thinking about anything really, but Yoongi was afraid. He shouldn’t have said anything, maybe he would like him if he kept his mouth shut. Screw that, he didn't want his approval, he shouldn't have said anything at all.

“Y-y-you are…really” The boy said, breaking off into a silence in the middle of his thought.

“…”

“Silly.” Jungkook got his thoughts out badly once again but wasn’t aware of it. To him, it made sense, to hyung maybe not so much.

“Alright, kid. Sorry that I didn’t tell you about it, you must feel pretty upset. You know, since you have to share an apartment with me.” He said, very apologetically. If the youth decided to leave right now, he wouldn’t be angry at all.

“It do-does make me sad. It do-doesn’t look like th-they-ey-y t-treat you well.” He said stuttering completely, wanting to smack himself. Yoongi smiled at the youth’s probable unawareness of his sweet words. It was a job that earned him a lot of money but he spent it all on different narcotics to cope with his job either way. The abuse he was used to. Yoongi pet the sweet boy’s head from the back as he was laying on the couch. It was as if God punished the only angel in the world with a hard life to test him.

Jungkook didn’t know what he said to deserve it but he smiled as his hair was being , blushing to himself. He was red faced so he quickly stood up without words, turning the tv off.

“Sleep, please.” Jungkook said, simply and gave a thumbs up while not showing his face, trying for the other to understand him. He was going to make the older a meal and go buy more groceries. He learned how to do everything in the adoption center. One of them was learning to cook really well with limited supplies. Food makes people happy, so he cooks for the people he likes. In the institution he got a lot of practice, cooking for his little brothers and sisters often.

 The hyung was knocked out as Jungkook brought back the food. He wasn’t sure how he would wake him up. The loud music in his ears must be bad for his ear drums. The boy decided to take it upon himself and save his eardrums in a heroic deed of the day. Before he could he placed the food on the coffee table in front of the television for him to see when he wakes up. The boy wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he was the cause of his lack of sleep. 

He got on the older’s eye level as he squatted down. He didn’t know a lot of things about social interaction but he knew this was creepy, probably. But he wasn’t awake so who cares. He gently took the earphones out of his ears, but the phone he gripped tightly in his hand as he was away in dreamland. Jungkook decided it would be best to just forcefully unplug the earphones and lay them on the table. He looked so peaceful, yet in so much pain.

As he was about to leave to go study since he’s been neglecting his work to make dinner, he realized it was around 6 pm. It was good that hyung wasn’t going to earn his money tonight, he won’t wake him up. Even though he was still beautiful with all the different marks across his face and body, he was in pain and it wasn’t right. If he didn’t have to go to school he wouldn’t go. Yoongi hyung doesn’t have to go to his job, but he does. What a strange concept.

He looked at his flat mate and saw a galaxy of colors across his skin, not a struggling man with no hope for his existence, slowly destroying himself with his actions. He just saw infinite potential and humanity broken, with the stars glowing in his eyes being dimmed for the lack of hope for a better tomorrow.

He would never tell that to the other. He often was overly clingy with other people, same happened when he and Taehyung were children, Taehyung was his entire life until of course puberty hit and him wanting to be one of the cool kids, didn’t have a small fragile boy who just lost his parents in the plans. His mental illness wasn’t helpful much either with making friends so he rejected them. He didn’t even want to try and fail.

No, Jungkook was never in anyone’s thoughts or plans. The pity lunch Taehyung brought him today meant absolutely nothing and it never will. Jimin definitely forgot about the two being so close since he would’ve teased Taehyung until there was no end. All he wanted was one friend, not ten, not five, nor three. Just one person that cared.

He had nobody there for him. That is why he was there for the people that need a somebody. His five little siblings and his flat mate do not need him, they are capable but who doesn’t need some help one time or another? Often times he was nice and helpful to his classmates who gave no such kindness in return to the boy. So the boy turned cold. ‘Robot’ a lot of kids called him. He was just a machine to them.

But of course, he presumed that Yoongi had nobody since he seemed as a loner to him but they didn’t see each other much at all so he didn’t know, to be frank. He could be completely wrong.

He wasn’t a big observer of the social nature, he much preferred dealing with numbers rather than people. So he went into his shared room to study, locking himself in, as usual. After studying his regular subjects and doing his incredibly simple math, physics and chemistry homework, he went to figure out his practice essay on mathematics for the college tutoring they allow him to take for a fee, since he was an exceptional case. He always got praised for his young age and how advanced he was in comparison to his peers, but he still wasn’t good at explaining his examples as well as the others in his class. Even if he often times knew much more than the others.

He wished he could take classes in chemistry as well, but biology didn’t interest him in the slightest, the best pair for a mathematics college major would be physics but he doesn’t enjoy that either. Everything’s been discovered already and him discovering anything past that terribly flawed string theory probability, is quite low. He didn’t want to search in one direction his entire life just to discover that is not the direction to go in.

That is what goes around the head of a student that is number one in his school of a thousand students. Sometimes, he was number two but he quickly took care of that with cutting his sleep even shorter. He usually went to sleep at around 11-12 pm, slept for  4-5 hours and got on with his day. But he could do less than that, he wasn’t a complainer he was a doer. It was the least he could do to get into college.

Sometimes he felt as if it would be easier to rather kill himself than study for a moment longer but once a student in his class actually did do just that, it terrified him and scared him. She was in the top twenty in the school and the fourth best student in their class. She was flawless, studied perfectly and brought a happy atmosphere when she stepped in the room.

She killed herself either way, so who cares? If you’re miserable, who cares what your grades are. Jungkook at least didn’t smile trough his sixteen hours of studying he showed everyone exactly how the best student in the school feels. Miserable and isolated. He would like for it to stay that way. Everyone with a blooming social life was below the top hundred. Disappointments to their parents. Jeon Jungkook won’t be that. Even the girl who killed herself did it while her parents were proud of her. He thought it was honorable, he didn’t understand why people were so sad about it.

Jeon Jungkook looked at his old blackberry phone and it seemed as if he stayed up until 1 am. Time always flies by when he studies. The opposite could be said for his classmates.

He wondered if...

He unlocked his door and opened it to see if the man was still here. The food was barely eaten. Only 1/5th of it was in the older stomach probably. He wasn’t here. He already left, not giving time to his wounds. Jungkook would rather him not being able to pay rent than not come back at all. Yoongi looked as an injured horse ready to be shot to put it bluntly. Why did he go?

“I hope you come back.” Jungkook said to himself, unusually worried. He went to sleep that night, barely slept a wink. He was too worried, even his dreams were strange. For one thing, he never dreamed. Even stranger than that there were four flowers. A white lilly, a red rose, a black rose and a field of pink wild flowers.

The white lily was opening up, the red rose withered and turned brown, the petals slowly started falling off of it, the black rose was blooming with the white lily and the field of pink flowers were surrounding the main flowers. The sky was blue as it ever was. In the end it all caught on fire. As it always did. The flames of the small pink flowers killed the minority of the flowers. But he doubted that had anything to do with the actual dreams, it was most likely just his ptsd, acting up.

At school, he was writing the five numbers on his desk once again as everyone was coming in, slowly, one by one.

“Why do you do that?” Taehyung asked, making Jungkook take his eraser and erase all the numbers and sit back in his chair.

“I didn’t- eh, nevemind.” Taehyung said as he rolled his eyes at the boy. Jimin and Hoseok came in last and a girl they hung out with that Jungkook forgot the name of started sarcastically clapping. Jungkook decided to see what’s going on and he saw that his hair color changed from red to brown.

….

Was it? It couldn’t have anything to do with it.

“Jiminah you change your hair as much, you're practicaly an idol!” Was all Jungkook heard before zoning out.

Either way, the boy didn’t have a good feeling about today’s day.

“Omo…” The raven haired boy said. Taehyung felt as if he heard something, but shrugged it off, he was probably imagining it. The boy was shaky and didn’t feel well at all. His anxiety was acting up. He had these sorts of dreams a week before the incident with his parents and two days before the girl killed herself.

For his parents he dreamt a bed of red silk, they slept peacefully as Jungkook watched them to make sure they were okay. The red silk turned out to be something much worse. Every bad always came in red. Jimin masked his red colors but he was a demon behind his brunette locks. Fire masked it's red behind thick layers of smoke.

For the girl he dreamed just her smiling and running around, having fun with her friends. He didn’t understand it, it wasn’t a terrible dream. It was just a dream, a strange one. Not a dream to think much of. Jungkook had a slight crush on her since she was always such a nice and caring girl, but maybe she acted the way she did because she knew she would be leaving them and the weird kid in the back of the class soon, and that he should be treated the same as her friends.

“Earth to Jeon Jungkook, helloo?” The English teacher said snapping him out of his daze. The teacher was a substitute, so she didn’t know if he was a disrespectful student or not, Hoseok, Bobby and Jimin were horrible enough to her since they kept talking amongst each other but she threatened them into quietness. Everybody was working except the kid in the back. Everyone looked at him for a response, even though they know he will say nothing.

“Hello.” Jungkook said in English, making everyone laugh.

“Don’t be sassy with me kid, you’ll get detention with the other kids, do you want that? Do you even understand what I’m saying?” She said rudely to the smartest kid in the school. Jungkook wouldn’t say he had an ego but he wouldn’t let his intelligence be mocked. Everyone around him already looked away, not expecting anything to be said.

“You’re rude and disrespectful.” Jungkook said in English making everyone’s jaw’s drop. Everyone who knew basic English, at least. Which wasn’t the entire class.

“Excuse me, young man?” She said as she was standing in front of him, outraged as such a behavior. Not even the dumb, dumber and the dumbest were acting up like he was. The brunette sitting next to him wanted to hit Jungkook, yet see how this will go.

“I-I used the long word. Do you understand what I-I was sa-saying?” He said, starting to stutter more and more.

“Go to the principle right now and tell him what you said to me! Go on, tough guy.” She said in English as Jungkook pushed his desk away, making a loud screeching noise of wood moving across the floor as he stood up. He stomped outside.

‘What the hell just happened?’

‘Was that Jeon Jungkook or his evil twin that just walked out?’

Kim Taehyung heard all the whispers about the boy. A few people asked him if he had an idea of what happened but he shrugged, maybe people thought he knew Jungkook better but he knew nothing about him, not anymore. He started changing this year, almost as if someone's behavior influenced him in a strange way. He never acted up, usually

.

Jungkook went to the principal’s office to explain what happened. The principal always acted to him as he was his only son for some reason.

“This is your first slip up, Jungkook. If you ever feel uncomfortable by a teacher, just come to me after class or even walk out. It’s better if you wait. You’re a good kid! Don’t worry. She’s just a little bit of a….idiot, do not worry! Focus on your other subjects …hwaighting!” The principal tried to be positive and relatable to the scared boy who was slightly calmer now. He awkwardly lowered his fist down after Jungkook wasn’t reciprocating.

“Go back to your classes, you’re free to go.” He said as the bell rang. He quickly went downstairs to the ground floor where his classroom was. He sat back in his corner and calmed down.

“Did you get a harsh detention?” Taehyung asked the boy. Jungkook wished he would stop bothering him for every little thing. He shook his head left and right as he got his book out to revise for the exam.

“Any kind of detention?” He asked, Jungkook gestured the same as the previous question.

“Jesus, are you kidding me?” Taehyung said to himself as Jungkook overheard and raised an eyebrow. He didn’t understand the big deal, every adult in the school adored him. His classmates are already used to it. Whatever, he didn’t even care. Taehyung stopped looking at him and trying to converse with him as much for the rest of the day, almost as if he was jealous at the attention given.

.

The lunch period came and Jungkook felt that he wouldn’t get a paid meal today, he dealt with it and revised his work for his university classes. He was the only one left in the classroom as usual.

“Jungkook, was Jimin here a few moments ago? “ Hoseok came by and asked him. Jungkook shook his head left and right.

“Oh…well, sorry for disturbing your studying. We can’t find him for almost twenty minutes now.” He said as he went to go back to eating his lunch at the cafeteria.

Jungkook’s heart started beating faster. When people were away from class or go missing during the day, Jeon Jungkook always thought the worst. That a car hit them or that they ran off and didn’t tell anybody and got drugged and kidnapped. No matter how much he hated Jimin, he was worried for everyone. He couldn’t believe he was doing this but he stood up to check for the ’s whereabouts.

 

He checked all the floors and the bathrooms on the said floors, he even looked at the cafeteria to see if he could settle his beating heart. He wasn’t there either but his friends carried on as if nothing was happening. He went outside to finish off his search or not find anything at all.

Jungkook sighed deeply at the sight, no 170 cm, or was he shorter? brunette was in sight. ‘I guess there is no hope.’ All he could do is go back and sit down.Jungkook was just paranoid, yeah. His dreams were all coincidences, he wasn't a prophet for God sakes. 

A pigeon flew up from the ground and on above the school building, almost hitting the boy in the face. ‘Aishhhhh’ He groaned internally as he looked up at the damn bird.

He couldn’t believe his eyes at the sight on top of the building. The boy froze in the spot he was standing at, swallowing his spit and jaw ever so slightly lowering, mouth agape. He quickly ran up the three floors, easily, pushing schoolmates off to the side as he ran.

“Sorry! Sorry.” He repeated. He finally came up to the rooftop door and opened it widely, they were heavy, industrial doors but the adrenaline made them light as a feather. Jimin’s neck immediately twisted as a sunflower towards the boy at the door, he couldn’t believe his eyes. Were they fooling him? The brunette thought somebody gave a damn about him, but it was only Jeon Jungkook.

“…Jungkook? “ He questioned weakly, embarrassed to be seen in such a position. The youth was breathing heavily, his chest rising and lowering at a fast pace as he stared at the brunette as if he struck gold. Jimin stopped gazing the youth’s intense stare he never let anybody connect with, then back at the ground in front of him, that is the ground three floors beneath him not including the ground floor. He was standing on the edge, he was calm before the raven haired boy came but his heart started beating faster and faster, matching up with the person nearby him.

He tried to turn around back to safety but his foot slipped on the metal edge and his life flashed before his eyes. He felt a tight grip on the back of his sweater, pulling him back and tossing him down on the pavement of the roof top and saving his life. It all happened so fast he couldn’t believe he had to be saved by that loser. The brunette has never been so embarrassed in his entire life. How the hell did he even see him up there?

Why couldn’t he just let him die?

The younger sat on the floor in disbelief of what just happened. Jimin, quickly after the ordeal, stood up to clean himself up from the floor and head towards the door.

“If you ever tell what just happened to anyone. I will kill you, freak.” He said as he lowered himself down to be on Jungkook’s level, threatening him with a fist. The quiet boy flinched and prepared himself for the punch, but Jimin retracted his hand and straightened up. Jungkook still had his eyes closed in a defensive position.

“Find a better pastime than to stalk me around school. Are you obsessed with me or something?” Jimin said as he left the roof, a few moments later after the door closing, Jungkook finally relaxed his tensed up body. He felt as if maybe he shouldn’t have saved the douchey ego maniac’s life, but no matter his behavior he deserved to live. Why was he up on the roof?

Jungkook too out his inhaler to use then put back in his pocket.

He probably wanted to simply, die. If he was able to stop YoungJi, he would, but he won’t allow himself for another person in his school loose his life even though YoungJi and Jimin were polar opposites.

“Jerk.” Jungkook said as he stood up and cleaned himself up as he went to their classroom. Class already started and the two were the only ones late to class.

When Jungkook sat down he looked towards the boy he saved. He gestured him slitting his own throat with running his thumb across his throat, then pointed at the boy with his index finger.

Alright.

 

----

A/N - well this wasn't fun at all...kind of depressing... sozzles