Chapter seven: Old self

Who are you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Old self

 

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Tuan, for the meal, I enjoyed it very much.” Jackson says as he stands up to give a little bow to the lady who kindly offered him dinner, a home cooked dinner. He can’t recall the last time he ate any homemade food.

“It’s ok dear, I am happy to see that Mark finally made a friend.” Mrs. Tuan smiles making the other smile as well. She has a kind smile, just like the one Jackson can’t remember. All he has left of his mother is an old picture.

But finally Mark made a friend, doesn’t he have two already?

“Oh my God, mom, he doesn’t need to know that,” Mark says jumping from his chair pushing Jackson from behind into his room.

The younger lets a chuckle escape his lips and turns his head to smile at the rest of the family that was seated at the table.

Yugyeom is so lovable that Jackson could pitch his cheeks all day, Mr. Tuan is funny, funnier than his dad and Mrs. Tuan is just as sweet as a candy. The only question is who Mark resembles too?

“Look, we should continue on our project,” Mark says as he closes his door after them.

“Didn’t you say that you are tired and can’t work anymore?” He remembers the exact words because Mark kept repeating it all over again.

“I know what I’ve said but still-” Mark complains opening again the notebook they started to write on. “We need to finish. Don’t you want to rank first again?”

“Yes,” Jackson replies taking a seat on the floor again. Because he got the second place his dad practically cursed at him and invoked that motive for not letting him participate in the music contest.

They continued to study for an hour, until Mark started to complain again, whining just like a little baby.

What surprised Jackson the most was that Mark asked him to sleep over, since at his house isn’t anyone and is late. The younger didn’t know what to reply considering that he lives at five feet from here and that Mark Tuan had asked him to stay.  It’s almost something to doubt about like he is planning on murdering him in his sleep.

Finally, he decided to stay. What can happen anyway? There isn’t anyone than him and Mark and even if the older is smiling creepily at him right now, Jackson knows how to stand his ground.

*Who are you?*

 

 

Even if people are staring at him Mark makes his way through the crowd with his head up. Even if he doesn’t know what the other are whispering about, he thinks is about him. If it wasn’t the case, why would they stare at him like he has two heads?

He just wants to find David and go through this awful day without any incidents.

For a thirteen-year-old it’s something very awful to be talked behind your back. The kids at this age are very easily hurt and they talk easily without thinking about consequences. Some may wonder why? Some may think that this is just a phase and will pass. The truth is, at this age the kids wins the most scars.

After fifteen minutes walking without any spot in mind, Mark finds his friend talking with some students. He is laughing and talking, which made Mark smile. He loves when his friend is happy.

“David,” He says putting an arm around his friend’s shoulder, smiling brightly at him. He feels how David body goes stiff and how he awkwardly laughs, brushing his hand away. “What’s wrong?”

“Look, David, if you want to want to be part of our group you have to stay away from the nerd.” One of the boys that go by name Alex says, with a clear smirk on his face addressed to Mark.

“What are they talking about, David?” He asks, the tears making its way into his eyes but afraid to let them run freely.  He doesn’t like the look his friend id giving him, the look that says something is wrong. David won’t choose those jerks before him, not, after all, Mark had done for him.

“Look, Mark, I think we should separate for a while and meet new people,” David says which makes the other bit his bottom lip. He is afraid that his only friend will leave him, will leave him for the others, for popularity that both of them hates.

“Oh God, David, you are too kind. All he wants to say is to leave him alone because he had found better people to spend his time with.”

Mark just looks defended at his friend, pleading with his watery eyes to not do it, to not let him behind.

“David, do the honors,” Alex says passing a bottle of cola toward apparently his ex-friend.

Mark can’t move, he can’t say anything. All he can do is stay there, motionless and afraid. Afraid of the hurt that may form on his heart than the outcome will come from the bottle of soda.

*Who are you?*

 

 

Mark could feel the tears running down his face but he couldn’t stop from crying. He wanted so bad to just stop and act like a grown up but it hurts, it hurts too much.  Not even with the force, he is trying to whip the tears it doesn’t seem like wanting to go way.

“Mark, Mark-“Someone shots but Mark couldn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter