Chapter four: The real me

Who are you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The real me

 

“We, my friend, are about to hit the jackpot,” Jaebum says, putting an arm around Jackson’s shoulder as they walk together for their first class on a Monday.

“What are you talking about?” Jackson doesn’t recall playing at a casino in all his life. Jaebum must be on drugs or didn’t sleep that much last night, which explains his dark circles under his eyes.

“I made some thinking last night-“

“That’s surprising.”

“Shut up and listen here.” Jaebum stops, stopping Jackson with him as well. “I think we both should sign up for the music competition, the one that is holding into our school on January.”

That is something that Jackson didn’t expect at all, he expected all kind of coming out from Jaebum’s mouth but this. To tell the truth, deep down, he wants to do that but he isn’t sure if his father will agree with it. It’s hard to please his father but he won’t change him with anyone else.

“I don’t think my dad will be ok with it, you know how he is.” Jackosn sighs, running his palm over his face. “I don’t know what to say about it.”

“Don’t say anything; just think about it for a while. The due for sing-ups is Friday. You have a week to convince your father and convince yourself that you should give a shot to reach your dream.” Jaebum smiles and starts to walk again.

“Fine, I’ll try to convince my father then,” Jackson says following Jaebum into the class. “Even though it won’t be easy but I hope I’ll convince him with my marks.”

“Well played my dear.” Jaebum laughs taking his usual seat, besides Jackson. “Seriously, I don’t want to see the marks, I know that I failed many of the subjects.”

“Then I am happy to be me.” Jackson is always the one who takes the biggest marks in the class. That’s why he is afraid to tell others that he is the headmaster’s son. He will be looked down and no one will believe that he takes his marks in fair play.

“My parents won’t give me allowance again.” Jaebum fakes a cry and takes out his music notebook. “I am hoping to win this contest than though.”

“I’ve wanted to ask: why there are dark circles under your eyes? Who kept you awake all night?”

“Ah, remembers that guy I told you about,” Jaebum says looking at a puzzled Jackson. “-the one who plays video games well,”

“Ah, the one who kicks your like a pro,” Jackson concludes. Some months ago, Jaebum met some guy online on a site with games, since then they meet online for some time to play stupid games.

“Yes, he was online last night and I stayed awake to play it.” Jaebum says, but Jackson isn’t listening anymore.

His eyes are taken by the guy who keeps tormenting Jackson’s thoughts, Mark Tuan. He is walking in the room not meeting anyone else eyes. If Jackson didn’t know what kind of tongue the guy has, he will say that he is damn shy.

“If you’ll excuse me, I am going to seat there, again,” Jackson says, raising from his seat and taking his bag with him. “You may understand this.”

“Whatever,” Jaebum says a visible smirk on his face.

Jackson ignores his friend and walks with confidence toward the brownish head, which has his head buried in his bag, looking for something, most probably his notebooks.

“Good morning, sunshine,” Jackson greats seating down, flashing the brightest smile he could manage.

“It seems like my words are going in vain, don’t you think so?” Mark replies leaning his head on the table, telling Jackson that their discussion ended here.

“Do you know how to play any instruments?” Jackson asks, surprising himself with the question. Maybe they could pair with him for the music competition; he just knows that he will convince Mark eventually.

Mark raises his head from the table and looks at Jackson like he had grown two heads. “No, I don’t, but I don’t think is one of your businesses what I can do.”

“That’s sad,” Jackson replies, shaking his head lightly. “Do you know how to sing then? Rap? Anything related to music?”

“I am not going to that stupid music competition with you if that what you are trying to suggest.”

Jackson smile falls from his face, followed by a frown. Mark seems smarter than he looks.

“Do you even know how to have fun? You seem like an ancient doing nothing: with no friends, no social life.”

“You don’t know anything, Wang, so better shut up,” Mark says closing their conversation as the teacher walks in.

Teacher Lee starts to tell them that they did great on these tests and that she hopes that the next ones will be like this. Even if some of the students are lacking, she know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter