Chapter five: A little white lie

Who are you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A little white lie

 

Mark makes his way back home after a failed attempt to steal the data. He should think that the data would be protected to this extent. After they successfully distracted the CCTV guard, Mark had one little mission: to get into the main school computer of the school and take whatever he finds there but, unfortunately, he didn’t see that coming, the high protection. He couldn’t break into it since he didn’t know what kind of protection it has.

Now, he has to study that protection and find a way to break into it. The sad thing is that it could take months but he is definitely determinate to do this. He knows he could to this.

He stops by the nonstop store he found last time when Jackson followed him around and buy some snacks and cola to take his frustration on.

As he makes his way down the street his phone starts to ring, looking at it, he frowns. “What?”

“I know what you are thinking but its ok. It isn’t your fault; everything will fall into place at the right time.” Jinyoung voice echoes from the other part of the line.

“I know, keep calm, I know when it is my fault,” Mark says as he changes the bag from his right hand to his left. “I told you before, always I know what I am doing.”

“Right, rest well and see you tomorrow.”

“Ok, bye, bye,” Mark says hanging up the phone. Jinyoung comports like his second mom, which he doesn’t need.

He should think of his friendship with Jinyoung and Youngjae but he knows that they will leave him when the mission will be done. Even if Mark knew this from the beginning he started to consider his two other partners as his friends. At least, this time, he knows that he will be left behind when they don’t need him anymore.

It’s painful to think back on his only friend and how he left him behind when he found other people more interesting than him, even if he swerved friendship for life. Well, he can’t blame a ten-year old boy but he was hurt that time.

He looked for afar how he laughed with the others, how he spent his time with the others but every time he came back to him for help at tests and projects, Mark like a fool always helped him as his heart died little by little and all the interest in things that made him happy disappeared leaving him empty of life.

Seeing that his only friend treated him that way, the other kids started to do the same, thinking that Mark is that weak. Indeed, he was, he couldn’t stand for himself when the popular kids at their school started to pick on him when they always made him do they homework. Lucky for him was that his mother discovered that in time and transferred him to another school.

Since then, he started to build more defenses barriers and confidence in himself but he never wanted to be approached by others.

His row of thoughts is interrupted by a voice swearing, coming out from his neighbor yard. Who else could it be than the giant crying baby? Mark shakes his head but couldn’t help but stare at the other figure on his lighted porch with a bottle of something in his hand. He surely is drunk.

Mark smiles remembering Jackson’s stupid face from today while he thanked him for holding him. He realizes what he is doing when he phone starts to ring again, and the smile fades away.

He picks up his phone, putting it to his ear. “Hello?”

“Where the hells are you, Mark?” His mother voice sounds very angry on the other part of the line. “I went to your room and you aren’t there. I thought that aliens kidnaped you. It’s passed twelve already.”

“Sorry mom, I forgot to tell you that I’ll sleep at a friend’s house.” Mark quickly lies the first thing that crosses his mind, forgetting that he was on his way home.

“Next time and you’ll stay overnight will be nice if you’ll let me a message or something.”

“I am so sorry; I’ll be home tomorrow morning before school,” Mark says, sighing, knowing that he will end sleeping on a bench in the park. Couldn’t he just tell that he went out to buy some snacks because he wanted to?

“Ok, Mark. Don’t scare me like this ever again.”

“Ok mom, good night,” He says hanging up the phone to the second mom that started to nag at him.

“What are you doing here?” Jackson drunken voice can be heard clear in the night, making Mark jump in surprise.

“Don’t do that ever again, you idiot face, you scared me for life,” Mark says, trying to calm down his beating heart.

“You are the one who stalks me at night, aren’t you?” Jackson asks, taking a sip from his beer and throws the empty can into the yard.

“I was just amazed that you drink at this hour, on the porch.” Mark says, shrugging his shoulders, he doesn’t have anything to do anyway.

“Well, it’s the only time I can drink,” Jackson says opening a new can of beer.

Mark sighs and walks toward Jackson, snaking the beer from his hand. Why he di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter