two

Aren't You Tired?

School had finally ended and Soojung was on her way home, keeping her head hung low in case she saw Myungsoo. Fiddling with the hem on her skirt, she had made it out of the school premises and was taking small steps towards the main road. She began thinking about the chances of the bridge boy sitting next to her in class and recognising her. It was crazy and she was sure it wasn't real. It wasn't possible. His face seemed familiar from somewhere other than the bridge though but she couldn't put her finger on it. Although the only interaction they had was the five second long eye contact when he first sat down next to her, she felt as if he was trustworthy. Or maybe not. Soojung was trying hard to convince herself that it was fine but she wasn't even sure. She just continued slapping her cheeks lightly as she made her way home.

By the time she had zoned back into reality, her eyes were suddenly blinding with bright white lights as honks blasted in her ears. She was frozen with fear and had no idea what to do as a large car came charging at her. What she didn't expect to happen was a firm kick to her sore back, causing her topple a few steps forwards and fall onto the hard pavement. She groaned in pain as she looked back to where she originally was, her eyes widening at a body that was hit by the silver car. She didn't take notice of all of the cuts on her legs and she scrambled on her aching feet, checking who it was.

Jang Dongwoo.

She kneeled down, shaking his shoulders checking if he was conscious. He didn't respond. By now, a large crowd of people had gathered as she tried calling the ambulance on the phone. "Dongwoo! Dongwoo-ah!" She cried as everyone just stood there, blankly staring at the two like they were a show to be watched. She found tears streaming down her cheeks, thinking that she had killed someone. It never occurred to her than Dongwoo had caused her multiple injuries or harassed her so much while she was frantically trying to keep him alive. She thought it all didn't matter, it was a situation of life and death.

The sky had an orange hue as the loud ambulance came and loaded him on the van, telling the entire crowd to leave and go back to whatever they were doing. Stopping the two heavy doors from slamming shut, Soojung quickly called for the paramedic to let her go with him. As they drove off, she chewed her bottom lip, thinking about where the driver who hit him was. 

---

It was roughly seven o'clock in the evening and Soojung had deliberately ignored every call from her parents, probably wondering where the hell she was. It was for her own safety that she didn't press answer, otherwise she'd get a slap and a bunch of words shouted at her after that. Uncomfortably sitting down in the waiting room, she looked up at the television hoisted on the beige wall. It was a report on Mapo Bridge and how the suicide rates were growing and growing. Becoming anxious, she blocked her cold ears with her faded white earphones and started listening to whatever was playing. Within a few minutes, a tall male nurse had walked towards her and informed her that Dongwoo was allowed to have visitors now.

She weakly smiled, walking slowly towards his room and paused for a second before entering as she read the sign on the door of his room. Jang Dongwoo, Patient 245, L ROOM 4. She clicked her tongue, remembering that 'L' stood for luxury. Dongwoo was a rich boy and girls were usually attracted to him because of his money, never anything else - especially his attitude (Soojung knew that for sure). She breathed out before twisting the polished door knob and timidly entering the spacious room, her hands shaking. "Are you okay?" She quietly asked while hesitating to sit down in the seat beside the soft bed of the boy who was reading a comic book.

"I don't know, Soojung. Am I?" He asked - his eyes still glued to his book. "I mean, a silver car just hit me while I was trying to save you. I have a broken arm but I’m still not sure, am I okay?" He asked again, making Soojung nervous - where was he going with this? "Yah!" He abruptly shouted, making her jump. "Stop shaking, it's annoying." Soojung looked at her feet, ignoring any eye contact with him. "I'm okay." He stated, turning the page of his comic book.

"Do you... want me to pay the hospital bills?" She awkwardly laughed while scratching the back of her head, only to receive a head shake from Dongwoo. "Do you... want anything? Juice, snacks, more books?" She offered again.

"Stop asking, it's a burden for me."

"I'll leave you alone then." Soojung stood up, walking towards the door, relieved to escape the suffocating atmosphere in the hospital room. A loud shuffling was heard before her wrist was suddenly grabbed by a firm hand.

"Wait. You can't just leave like that." Dongwoo's voice suddenly became low and serious.

"Dongwoo-ssi, I think I've overstayed my welcome."

"Yah, do you think I want you to stay here and waste my time?" The relatively quiet Dongwoo suddenly became the bastard of the class three once again. "A little puny girl can't just be the reason of me getting in a car accident without any sort of punishment, so you better shut the up before I tell the whole school that their little flower boy almost died because of a waste of space like you." He drew his face closer to hers; nothing could be heard except for her rushed breathing as she was pinned to the wall. "I'm expecting you to be at the classroom at six o'clock in the morning and I swear to god if you're even one ing second late, your life in Nabi High school is done for. From now on, Jeonbog, you're my little slave and I ing own you."

Dongwoo gritted his teeth, staring into her teary eyes. He laughed at how afraid she was. Am I a monster to her? He thought, studying every worried feature of her face. "Yah!" He yelled in her face.

"Yah!" A voice shouted back and both of their eyes turned towards the door that was now open with a figure holding a bouquet of 'get well' flowers and packed lunch box in the frame. "What the do you think you're doing?"

Kim Myungsoo.