twelve

Aren't You Tired?

(What happened while Soojung was out of school.)

Myungsoo just stared at Soojung as she ran off and released his grip off of Dongwoo's collar, breathing out and returning to his seat, leaving Dongwoo to sheepishly hesitate to return to his a few seconds later.

"You boys should know that I don't tolerate any chaos in my classroom." Mr. Han raised his chin and cocked his eyebrow, staring at them both dead in the eyes. All attention was on them as they kept their head low and flinched at his long, thin staff tapping their wooden desks turn by turn. "Especially you, Dongwoo." Dongwoo shot a glare at the cowering class president.

"Lee Jinki?" He suddenly called out.

"Yes, Mr. Han?"

"Go get my detention files from the main office immediately and until they arrive... the rest of you continue self-studying. We have the midterms coming up soon at if this damn class gets last place in the whole school again, I won't be letting you all off easily." Every student groaned. Lee Jinki scurried off to fetch what he was asked for and everyone else stuck their noses in their books. After he came back, Mr. Han hastily wrote Dongwoo and Myungsoo's names on the slips and tossed the pieces of paper at both of them. "You can both spend your lunch time cleaning up the gym for Mr. Shin."

"Bu-" Dongwoo began to protest.

"I don't give a crap whether you have to fight someone at lunch or not, you're spending it with Mr. Shin. Do you understand me?" He firmly ordered, biting his tongue as he walked back. He might be twenty years older than Dongwoo but Dongwoo was more than strong enough to kill Mr. Han, if not, get his father to sue him.

They both murmured 'okay' and waited for him to walk back to the front of the classroom.

That's how the rest of the lesson carried on: thick silence and awkward eye contact every once in a while. The bell had rung to conclude fourth period and everyone instantly began packing up their books and stationary in case any other student would damage it. Ever since the Choi Jinri incident, everyone was sure there was a person in class three out to get all of them. If so, they all had at least a one out of a thirty chance to be targeted.

Lee Howon was also surprisingly unsettled as well, not because of the class vandaliser but because of the cold, dead presence who sat in front of him in every class, radiating an aura which sent shivers down his spine also known as Amber Liu. He wasn't proud to admit that he only had a cool front on the day they had all met at the convenience store because of Soojung but now that he had no reason to other than his classmates who had already left the room (except for Dongwoo, Myungsoo, Lee Jinki and Amber of course). Amber stayed slumped in her chair, spinning her phone around in her hand. It was pretty cheap and didn't have many functions but it could call and text and that was all that mattered to her, despite that she only actually had a few people's contacts: the person who ran the convenience store, the lady at the local church, and Henry.

became dry as she began to recall what happened on the day that all the wine bottles got smashed.

"Are you crazy? I come here to find all of these expensive bottles of wine smashed and you expect for me to give you another chance?" The old man's voice was shaking and his ears were positively (yet very, very negatively) red.

"No, boss, you don't understand, I can find the money to replace all of the-"

"Forget it, Amber. Please leave and don't return. I'll post you your final cheque and, unless you're coming to buy somethin- No, if you want to buy something, don't even come here. Go somewhere else."

"Boss, just give me a se-"

"You can't even listen, can you? I feel bad for your parents, you must drive then insane!" He screamed before Amber ran out of the store, trying to not break down.

Amber was usually a strong and reliable person you could count on if you were her friend but it didn't work out for herself. She was her own burden. Having moved from the U.S to Korea after getting disowned by her parents for getting caught in a scandalous incident, she didn't have enough money to stay in a house or hotel. She was living off her friend, Henry's, cheap apartment. He was already twenty six but he didn’t care about the age difference. She was quite glad that it wasn't awkward between the two, especially after meeting after over ten years.

Since then, she hadn't bothered talking to Hoya about pay back in caution that she might punch him out of anger.

Her phone suddenly lit up with a notification of a text message and Amber quickly opened it.

Henry Lau: Make sure to turn on the rice machine when you get back to the apartment, I will be late home from work because of my boss ;-;

She stifled a smile, Henry was the type of person who was old yet acted like a little kid. She wasn't completely sure that he had adjusted to being an adult. She couldn't complain though, it was him and his crappy job of being an accountant that let her have a roof over her head for free. Putting her phone onto her desk, she got up and started making her way towards the canteen with some rusty 100 won coins in her hand.

Meanwhile, Lee Howon was staring at her phone on the desk, wondering if the CCTV footage of him at the convenience store was there. He began picturing his grandmother lying down in shock after hearing the news of his grandson being charged with crime against property. Hoya's grandma was a very fragile and caring person. After his mother died at birth and his father became infatuated with his work, second wife and step child, he was left alone in the care of his grandmother since the age of four.

He glanced around and took notice of Myungsoo and Dongwoo leaving the room to go clean the gym and Lee Jinki with his nose stuck in his text book before scurrying towards Amber's seat and opening her phone. Fortunately for him, there wasn't a password. He began tapping icons that would get him into the gallery but paused when he noticed the message from Henry.

Who's Henry? He thought, scratching his chin. Lau... It's different from Liu? 'Work'... He's older than her? 'Apartment?' They live together?! He began analysing every word in the message, squinting while doing so. He began picturing Amber and this so called older Henry doing it in their apartment and firmly slapped himself before returning to the screen. 

"So..." He began thinking out loud, "Amber is li-" He suddenly got blocked by a firm kick in the throat. Amber shot a death stare at him before grabbing his collar, lifting him from the floor and slamming him against the lockers, causing one of the doors to fall to the floor. She felt violated that a jerk had the nerve to look through her phone.

"What the did you just say?" Her ears were blood red, "Finish your ing sentence, you ." At this time, Lee Jinki left the room without a word, smirking as he closed the door behind him and leaving the two alone inside.

"Who's Henry?" Hoya struggled to say and he escaped her grip and reversed the roles so she was against the lockers.

"None of your ing business, Hoya." She spat onto his face, causing him to wipe her saliva away with one hand in disgust. "Unless you want to ing die, let me go."

"I'm fine, thanks." He smacked his lips. It was adorable how she got angry so quickly. It almost made him feel like freeing her.

She scoffed before she kicked him in the lower region and caused him to back off. Her hissed in pain as he tried to revive himself. "You really like getting kicked in the balls, don't you?" She laughed, "I don't want to see any more of your ing face again unless you're planning on giving me back my 300,000 won."

"Why would I give money to a low life like you? You probably only need it to buy some new ing underwear to please that Henry of yours, don't you? What would you do if your crappy parents found out? I feel bad for them." He pouted. There was a ten second pause of silence before Hoya spoke up once more, "Aren't you going to say anything?"

What happened next went by in three seconds and ended with Hoya on the floor with a burst lip with Amber sitting on his chest, punching him as much and as hardest as she could.

"No, you douchebag, I need it because a ing thug like you caused me to lose my ing job." She her lips, trying to hold back her tears, "And I'm pretty sure my parents won't be affected by what's going on with me in Korea."

She got up and brushed the dust of her skirt before grabbing her things and leaving the school. For once in his life, Hoya felt a pang of guilt as he felt his bruises. Perhaps he had gone too far? He exhaled, thinking that he had crossed the line. He felt an urge to run after her and apologize. However he didn't, because he knew that the day he would do so would also be the day he died.

That's enough of school for today. ing dickhead. She ran her fingers through her short hair as she walked past the gym when Dongwoo and Myungsoo were.

---

Dongwoo and Myungsoo were both walking to and from each side of the gymnasium with a wide mop in front of them. Both of them couldn't understand what was so dirty about the area, seeming as you could almost see your reflection in the shiny, oak floor. It had only been ten minutes of cleaning when Myungsoo and Dongwoo collided in the middle, almost silently fighting about who should give way. Dongwoo shot him a glare before barging past him, leaving Myungsoo to take a small step back.

"You guys must really like to clean, huh?" A voice suddenly chimed from the door, his footsteps echoing as he walked in. A glint in his eyes revealed it was no other than Lee Jinki.

Dongwoo rolled his eyes before dropping the handle of his mop, causing it to crash onto the floor with a sharp sound.

"Clean this up by yourself; I'm leaving." Dongwoo walked towards the door but stopped once Lee Jinki suddenly stepped out in front of him. "Move." He exhaled, facing Jinki. He didn't budge. "Are your ears blocked? I told you to ing move."

"Move to where? Paris? California? Or maybe... London?" He . Dongwoo clenched his jaw. The mere mention of the English city caused him to have a rush of anger throughout his body. The only way to make the idiot shut up was the delivery of a solid punch to his jaw and that's exactly what Dongwoo did. He fell to the floor and felt around his mouth, his lips.

" off." He proceeded to walk away

"Tell that to your mother, she keeps bothering our family." He clicked his tongue as Dongwoo stopped at the door. Without turning back, he scoffed and kicked the door open.

"Go die, Onew." With those words, he stormed off, slamming the door shut. Myungsoo looked at them both, tilting his head. He knew what Jinki was like and didn't bother to interrupt them because he knew his words would make the tension thicker. Shrugging to himself, he began walking around with his mop in front of him, cleaning the floor.

"Who gave him the right to call me Onew?" He muttered under his breath before focusing his attention onto Myungsoo who couldn't care less about him.

For a full minute, there was nothing but the sounds of footsteps and mopping in the whole gymnasium. Onew sat cross legged onto the floor, watching Myungsoo walk from one side of the room to other in a never ending cycle until he reached where Jinki was sitting.  Myungsoo looked down at him as the mop and him collided. Not bothered to start anything, he pushed it through, making Onew budge a little and causing a wet patch on his trousers.

"What are you doing?" Jinki looked up at him, intending to begin an argument.

"Wow! You shouldn't have! Thanks for offering to do Dongwoo's half of the gymnasium!" Myungsoo grinned, walking away after throwing the mop to Onew. There was a sense of satisfaction as he heard Jinki scoff. Thinking he was now alone, he began making his way back to the classroom. Reaching for his phone, he plugged his earphones into his ears when he suddenly felt a kick to his back. Ever since two years ago, he had a back injury after an incident causing his spine to be weak and fragile. Bending over slightly, he yelled out in pain, turning to see Jinki behind him.

"Sorry, my foot slipped." He walked off in front of him and Myungsoo staggered behind. Sighing, he was now in the corridors, receiving a few looks from his fellow students. He was looking at the back of the class president who was standing by the classroom door not doing anything in particular.  This boy really wants to fight, doesn't he? Myungsoo continued to walk past Jinki and into the classroom, sitting down at his desk. Jinki came up to him and pulled his earphones out of his ear, annoying Myungsoo. "I'm sorry for not coming to the funeral quite a few years back. I just had better things to do."

"Okay."

"What were your parents called again? I can't remember. Your mother... was it '' or 'Pitiful'?" Jinki smirked.

"Shut the up." Myungsoo mumbled.

Reaching for his pocket, he pulled out a 10,000 won bill and tossed it in front of him, "Have it as a pity present."

Myungsoo kicked the desk beside him over and got up, grabbing Onew's collar. "Say that again."

"Is Sunggyu doing well?" Myungsoo finally decided to unleash his anger as he began pushing him around, punching more than just his face eventually making him have a black eye and throbbing lips. Kim Myungsoo was almost on the brink of tears, reliving how his parents died and the day that Kim Sunggyu was found lifeless on the kitchen floor. His eyes were bloodshot and his neck veins were popping out. "Say it again. I ing dare you!"

"I heard you're living with that nowadays - Is the house nice and big like the one you used to live in?"

Cue five more punches to his stomach.

"Yah... it would be a shame for you to one day enter the classroom and see your little Soojung dead as well, wouldn't it?" He breathed out, "I can get that scenario arranged for tomorrow, you know?"

Kim Myungsoo grabbed him by the hair, taking deep breaths before throwing him to the lockers. He took quick glances everywhere, thinking about what object would hurt him the most if it was thrown at him. At this time, there was a crowd of students peering in at the fight from the side windows. "It must be cool, right? Showing all those people how strong you are." Myungsoo slammed him against the lockers again, causing one of the doors to drop to the floor with a hollow sound.

Outside, Soojung was walking towards the room and past the group of students, pausing when she saw Jinki pinned against the lockers with Myungsoo.

It all made Soojung dizzy as she was reflected on every single time she had experienced something similar with Sunyoung, Song Qian, Jinri, Hoya and Dongwoo.  Her teeth gritted as she stepped in and slammed the door shut. Angrily walking towards them on an impulse, she was suddenly (and accidentally) kicked in the stomach by Myungsoo as the class president dodged his attack. She winced in pain, staggering back with disgust in her eyes. Myungsoo quickly stopped still, looking at Soojung and noticing what he had just done.

"Soojung..." He began to plead before he saw Jinki smiling at him like a devil, his lips. It aggravated him as his attention diverted towards Jinki once more, "You ty bastard!" He yelled as he swung for another punch but this time, Soojung pushed Jinki out of the way and took the attack for him. Biting her lip, trying to hold her tears in from the pain, she separated them and glanced around, trying to find the words to say. A crowd of pupils staring in from the windows looked at them intensely, making the girl regret going in there in the first place. The room was full of heavy panting and Soojung wiped the blood off her split lip before deciding to settle on five words to relay onto Myungsoo.

"You ing piece of trash..." She hissed at Myungsoo as she led the class president away from the chaos and led him to the infirmary. All Myungsoo did was stare at her back as she walked away. He looked like a wreck with teary eyes and his hair sticking up in places all over, he let out a short scream when she left.

She caught the eye of Dongwoo who was raising his eyebrow as she and Jinki barged past him. Myungsoo was frozen in his position for another thirty seconds before escaping the classroom and beginning to rush in whichever direction Soojung was heading. His shoulder was suddenly gripped by Dongwoo as he tried to get free of his grasp.

"Don't, Myungsoo," He muttered under his breath, “unless you want her to find out about everything." The poor boy scrunched up his face before turning around and slumping himself in his chair, burying his face in his hands and wondering how he could resolve the issue that had just emerged.