eleven

Aren't You Tired?

It wasn't an understatement to say that that day was quite cold and windy - Soojung definitely regretted not bringing her coat. Nonetheless, she quickly made her way to the nearby shopping mall and entered the barbeque restaurant, browsing the menu as soon as she sat down on a small table with a built in grill in the middle. She quickly grabbed the attention of the ahjumma working there and serving the customers, telling her what she wanted.

"Can you please give me one serving of beef, two bowls of rice, one portion of spicy rice cakes and one bottle of coke?" Soojung asked as her stomach grumbled.

"Alright, but aren't you meant to be in school?" The ahjumma looked her up and down, frowning at her uniform. Why do stupid ahjummas always have to in for God's sake...? Soojung cursed in her mind while she uncomfortably smiled.

"It finished early." After explaining herself, she got up and went to the bathroom after realising her urge to relieve herself. Barbeque restaurants always took long for the food you ordered to be delivered and she had no worries about the food being taken back while she was in the restroom.

Rinsing her hands and splashing her face with the refreshing tap water, she looked at herself in the mirror, scowling at her dark circles and remembering what had happened in the classroom forty minutes ago. Dongwoo himself was an enigma. Whether it was Myungsoo who pissed him off or Soojung who pissed him off, she would always be on the other end of the stick. Now that she had thought about it, why did Dongwoo care about Myungsoo and her so much? And what was 'Why don't we go home and talk about this while eating dinner together' supposed to mean? Everything to do with the two boys puzzled her brain and it got to the point where she was debating whether to hand in her stupid consent form about the camping trip or not.

Walking out of the rest room and proceeding to her table, her steps came to a halt as she realised there was a person sitting in one of the two seats on her table. Soojung hated any sort of unnecessary interaction but still sat down in her seat, looking at the man holding and covering his face with the laminated menu. "Excuse me," She began, "But this is my table." Clearing , she suddenly felt a sense of intimidation from the stranger.

"I’m sorry, who are you?" He was wearing dark sunglasses that were quite big for him and a thick long coat with a woolly grey turtle neck beneath it. Needless to say, he looked as if he had money.

"I'm the customer of this table. You?" Her hunger was getting to her as she began getting snappy.

"A person who saw and chose the first table he saw and is now sitting in the seat because no one was th-" He began speaking but was cut off when the ahjumma came and began putting down the plates of meat and food she ordered, "Beef and spicy rice cakes? I'm flattered." He smirked, beginning to dig into the food, not sparing anything for Soojung as she stared at him in disgust. Five minutes in, he removed his sunglasses and set them down, looking up at her.

"J-Jung... Jong? Jonghyuk?" She began to stutter, beginning to try and put a finger on who he was. "I've seen you before, haven’t I?”

"What a joke," he fiddled around in his pockets, getting out a cherry flavoured lollipop, unwrapping it and shoving it between his teeth. Sighing as he put his sunglasses on, he stared at her, wondering if she looked familiar to him. "I don't know a Jonghyuk." He spat, grabbing a tissue and wiping his mouth. Getting his wallet out, he pulled out 60,000 won and tossed it so it was in front of her. "The bill plus tips. Thanks for ordering for me, kid." 

"Jonghyuk... no?" She wondered, before cashing the money and getting up and running outside.

Maybe it was because of the traffic or the amount of people who were out on a day like this but he seemed to disappear in an instant amongst the crowds. She hit her forehead, deciding whether or not to go back into the restaurant or not. She quickly checked her wristwatch to see that it was time for lunch at school so she began walking back, trying to recall the stranger's face. Soojung must have seemed like a rude idiot to him.

Walking through the groups of students, she kept her head low, not trying to bring attention to herself after what had happened the last time she was in school. She peered in the classroom windows before she opened the door, noticing how the door of her locker was somehow unhinged from its place. The little Jinri probably did it. She sighed as she rolled her eyes until a large thud alerted her attention and another locker's door was smashed open and its door crashed to the ground with a hollow wooden sound. Furrowing her eyebrows, she slid the door open, her eyes widening in horror at what she saw.

There, in the middle of the empty classroom, was Myungsoo using all of his strength against Jinki. He was pushing and pulling him, punching and kicking him, cursing and shouting at him. It all made Soojung dizzy as she was reflected on every single time she had experienced something similar with Sunyoung, Song Qian, Jinri, Hoya and Dongwoo.  Her teeth gritted as she stepped in and slammed the door shut. Angrily walking towards them on an impulse, she was suddenly (and accidentally) kicked in the stomach by Myungsoo as the class president dodged his attack. She winced in pain, staggering back with disgust in her eyes. Myungsoo quickly stopped still, looking at Soojung and noticing what he had just done.

"Soojung..." He began to plead before he saw Jinki smiling at him like a devil, his lips. It aggravated him as his attention diverted towards Jinki once more, "You ty bastard!" He yelled as he swung for another punch but this time, Soojung pushed Jinki out of the way and took the attack for him. Biting her lip, trying to hold her tears in from the pain, she separated them and glanced around, trying to find the words to say. A crowd of pupils staring in from the windows looked at them intensely, making the girl regret going in there in the first place. The room was full of heavy panting and Soojung wiped the blood off her split lip before deciding to settle on five words to relay onto Myungsoo.

"You ing piece of trash..." She hissed at Myungsoo as she led the class president away from the chaos and led him to the infirmary. All Myungsoo did was stare at her back as she walked away. He looked like a wreck with teary eyes and his hair sticking up in places all over, he let out a short scream when she left.

She caught the eye of Dongwoo who was raising her eyebrow as she and Jinki barged past him. Myungsoo was frozen in his position for another thirty seconds before escaping the classroom and beginning to rush in whichever direction Soojung was heading. His shoulder was suddenly gripped by Dongwoo as he tried to get free of his grasp.

"Don't, Myungsoo," He muttered under his breath, “unless you want her to find out about everything." The poor boy scrunched up his face before turning around and slumping himself in his chair, burying his face in his hands and wondering how he could resolve the issue that had just emerged.