eight

Aren't You Tired?

It was a dreadful Monday and Soojung was walking to school with her fingers moving in her pockets, leaving her white earphones tangled in a clumped knot when she raised her hands to push open the door to her classroom. Lee Jinki suddenly brushed past her, startling her. She hesitated to open to greet him but he left her hastily not even looking in her eyes. Deciding to ignore it, she continued walking in and sat down at her desk and started re-reading her text books for what seemed like the hundredth time ever since she began going to Nabi High school.

Startled by a sudden noise, she looked up to see another student called Choi Minho walk in quietly. He looked at her for a second, wondering why she was so shocked to see him, before returning to getting set up for class. Soojung went back to studying and waited for the rest of the students to arrive.

---

The classroom was now full and Soojung was in her chair, fiddling with a corner of a piece of paper from her own and Dongwoo's project. Staring out of the window, she rested her cheek on her palm and waited for the teacher to come in and say something interesting or helpful to her education, not that Mr. Han cared much anyways. As she ignored Myungsoo's prods on her arm, she sighed and focused on everything Hoya and Dongwoo were saying to Lee Jinki. Lee Howon had tried to approach Soojung during the course of the day but she saw him hesitate and go back to where he was out of the corner in her eye. Her eye blinked every time she heard the sound of a light slap or a kick towards a desk or a chair. Soon, the teacher arrived and settled everyone down. Jinki scrunched up his face, rose and told everyone to bow in respect.

"Okay, class three, we have a..." Mr. Han scowled at Myungsoo yawning as he spoke, "Myungsoo shut your mouth. As I was saying, we have a new student. She's been to the nearby elementary school when she was younger so I'd expect some of you would recognise her but others wouldn't. After a year, she moved to the States and she's back in Korea now. Make sure you respect her. Come in."

There was a shuffling amongst the students as it was the first time they had heard the news. After a few seconds, a girl with short blonde hair casually walked in. "My name is Amber." She concluded, not greeting anyone in particular. Her eyes widening, Soojung quickly glanced at Hoya who was as equally stunned. "Thanks for the register you mailed me earlier; I guess it was useful to get a fact file from all of the students beforehand." Amber's words were informal to the teacher, making him raise his eyebrow. "I'll just pick an empty seat." She said in English, popping the’t’ in seat.

With her backpack slung over her shoulder, she made her way to the seat in front of Hoya's desk. Everyone examined her, her words seemed very rude in a way but you couldn't help but get an innocent vibe from her. Either way, she didn't seem to care much about Howon as she just sat and began paying attention to what Mr. Han was saying.

"Right, if you remember correctly, I set you a project 2 weeks ago and I want you to come up to me and hand them when I say your names. It's in no particular order so don't think you can come up with an excuse just because you’re at the end of the register. Amber, you just joined so don't worry too much." He falsely smiled as he got a folder and began calling names out.

"Jang Dongwoo." He said, looking up. 

"I worked with Jung Soojung."

"Kim Myungsoo." He said looking up once again.

"I worked with Jung Soojung."

The five words caused Dongwoo's head to turn so that he was making direct contact with Kim Myungsoo's sleepy eyes. He didn't really seem to care about the daggers shooting out from Dongwoo's eyes as he decided to take a nap.

"Eh? Why are so many of you working with Soojung?" He quirked an eyebrow before ticking boxes. "Jung Soojung, bring yours, Dongwoo's and Myungsoo's up to me then."

Soojung nodded slightly before getting up from her desk and walking towards the teacher and slipping her essay into the folder lying on the table. She let a breath out before casually returning to her seat, ignoring the fact that Dongwoo was staring at her as she brushed past him. Myungsoo gently opened his eyes as he heard Soojung sit back down.

"Right, Choi Jinri." Mr. Han beckoned her to come forward.

"Lee Jinki has it; we, Song Qian and Park Sunyoung all worked together." Jinri muttered as she looked down at her hands, admiring her nails. I guess me and Jinki were in the same boat all along. Soojung thought as she stretched her arms, looking out at the window.

"I emailed it to you, Jinri. It's in your laptop." Jinki nervously said, fiddling with his fingers.

"Oh, right." Without a moment of hesitation, she got up and walked to her locker, unlocking it and reaching out for her computer. However, as she sat back down and opened her laptop, she saw her keys were all sticky and the black laptop was glitching, occasionally letting out a few sparks. Squealing, she got up and took a step back in caution of the now broken laptop. "Yah, what's this? Who did this?" She started yelling, looking around at everyone. All the students exchanged looks as they tried to figure out who had done it. "Yah! Someone answer me before I get my father involved!" She threatened. Mr. Han didn't say anything to protest her outburst as he witnessed everything.

"Jung Soojung was the first person in the classroom." Minho suddenly chimed as everyone looked towards her. "I bet it was her, she was startled when she saw me enter!" He exclaimed, thinking that he had cracked the puzzle.

"Jung Soojung. See me at the end of the day." The teacher hissed as everyone turned to discuss what had happened. Soojung was still shocked, wondering what had just happened. Swallowing, she began speaking. "But it wa-"

"Shut the up before I get my father to get you suspended, Soojung." Jinri was glaring at her with her evil eyes. "I always thought you were a two faced ."

---

"So, Jung Soojung, expect a phone call to your parents and a red flag on your college application until you can prove yourself innocent, okay? If I see this again, I will make sure a delinquent like you will never be able to attend Nabi High school again. This school is only for the brightest and best of students, you should know that." Mr. Han scolded her as she kept her head down, "Now go home; I'm sick of seeing your face."

Soojung nodded as she let herself become a scapegoat. "Yes, Mr. Han." The time was only seven minutes after the students had been dismissed to go home so she still had time to go and question Jinki who was probably outside.

Sturdily holding her bag on her back, she began running to the school's parking lot where she found out that Jinki would always begin his journey home. Catching her breath, she stopped roughly 5 metres away from Jinki and a man taller than him. Staring dead on, she noticed the older boy was urging him for something and flicking his forehead, clearly annoyed at something he had done. Amongst all of the conversation, Soojung could only pick up a few words like 'car keys' and 'plans' before she had realised she had been looking at them for a little too long. The unfamiliar man's eyes were locked with hers as he halted his words and focused all of his attention on her. 

Just before the class president turned around, a hand firmly grabbed her wrist and dragged her away from the two. Confused, she looked up to see the back of Jang Dongwoo’s head and his broad back only twenty centimetres away from her.