thirteen

Aren't You Tired?

"Does it hurt?" Soojung asked, grabbing a cloth and soaking it from one of the higher shelves as the class president stared at her.

"What?" 

"Your burst lip." She pursed her lips; this was probably the first time Soojung and Jinki had had a real conversation. He shrugged, wondering why Soojung decided to lead him away from Myungsoo.

"Are you okay, though?" Onew pondered, looking up at her as she wiped away the blood around his mouth with a cold rag.

"Why wouldn't I be?" She questioned.

"You just left Kim Myungsoo all by himself to help a class president that you don't talk to."

"It's not that significant." She quietly defended herself, fiddling with her fingers.

"Aren't you friends with that guy?" He continued, making Soojung bite her tongue. Just earlier he had made her confirm their friendship. She could still picture his sly smirk when she gave in to his requests. There wasn't anything to deny between them.

"That doesn't matter. That's not a reason for me to forgive him for inflicting harm onto someone else." Soojung said with a wavering voice. "It reminded me about everything I've experienced with everyone else." She began to treat his lip again.

"You think there's no reason to forgive him?" Jinki stood up, feeling his lip with his finger. "Could I provoking Myungsoo be a reason?"

"What are you talking about?" The tension suddenly became thick as his shadow loomed over her. He let out a chuckle and cocked his eyebrow.

"You... people don't get beat up for no reason unless one party is at fault. That's me. I'm that party." Onew breathed out, wondering if it was the right time to tell Soojung everything. Soojung abruptly stood up so that they were at eye level.

"You still have cuts that need to be treated." She stated as Jinki scoffed. Grabbing her shoulders, he pushed her to the wall forty centimetres behind her and stared at her dead in the eyes.

"You still don't understand, do you?" He rolled his eyes, "I'm not a good person."

"And you reckon that's something to be boasting about, huh?" It was Soojung's turn to roll her eyes. "Jinki-ah, do you think I'm stupid?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not ing blind and I have the ability to recognise faces." She began, brushing his hands off of her shoulders. "You think I don't know what a bad driver looks like when I see one? A kid who doesn't know how to use a turning signal or a brake – you should take some lessons. Windows are transparent, class president. That means that you can identify the dickhead who attempted to run the guy behind you over." Onew opened his mouth to say something but closed it shortly afterwards, realising he had nothing to say. "I'm not sure about what happened at the street market or whatever happened with those wine bottles but I know enough to know that you aren't a good person."

"What if I did do those other two things?" He asked only to receive a firm slap on the cheek.

"Then I guess I made a mistake leaving Myungsoo." She breathed out. "I hope you turn out to be a good person, Jinki." She threw the rag towards his face before shoving past him and leaving through the door, hoping that class hadn't begun yet. As soon as she was in the hallway, she leant against the wall taking short, quick breaths. She had never once before talked back to someone other than Myungsoo and found herself unable to compose herself. She heard a few footsteps and rapidly walked away, not daring to look at Lee Jinki once more in caution that she might break down.

Once she arrived in the classroom, she steadied her breathing and sat down in her desk, feeling mixed emotions when she realised Myungsoo wasn't anywhere to be seen. The bell rang only a handful of seconds later and Mr. Han entered the room, waving around consent forms for the camping trip, reminding everyone to bring it in signed.

"Where's Lee Jinki? He needs to say 'Attention'." He looked around.

"He's sick." Soojung muttered just loudly enough for everyone to hear, making Dongwoo glance at her. Their eyes locked but Soojung quickly turned away, causing Dongwoo to give her a quizzical look.

---

Back at the infirmary, Lee Jinki stood still for half a minute, wondering what she had meant by the street market and wine bottles incidents but decided to leave it and lied down on one of the beds, getting his cell phone from out of his pockets. He saw that he had a text from Jonghyun and opened it, wondering what he might have said.

K. Jonghyun: I found something interesting so call me back when you can.

He shrugged to himself before going onto his contact profile. About to press the 'Call number' button, he was interrupted by a text message.

No number: If you think you can continue acting the way you do now, you've never been more wrong. Watch out.

ing hell, spammers need to stop. Jinki clenched his jaw, hovering over the ‘Delete message’ button.

No number: Deleting this message won't change the fact that I'm just one step behind you, Onew. 

He felt a rush of anxiety as he dropped his phone onto his stomach, trying hard to ignore it. He heard someone enter the room and consequently pulled the white duvet so it was over his face so he wouldn’t have to speak to anyone. Now that his sense of sight was gone, he could only listen to his surroundings.

"That needs to learn to shut up." He realised that it was Myungsoo and stayed quiet. Onew could act as tough as he wanted to but it didn’t change the fact that getting beat up was painful. He contemplated leaving the room and sat up straight. The only thing dividing the two was the loose, flimsy curtain.

"Myun-" He was suddenly interrupted by the sound of glass smashing. Curious, he immediately got out and looked at what happened, only to see the window destroyed and Myungsoo on the floor with red blood emerging from his head. His eyes were firmly shut and a bottle of headache pills were loosely in his palm. Beside him, there was a red, dense brick. He could only look down at the unconscious boy and didn't do anything to help him. The clock was ticking and everything was still until the door was opened and in came a mortified nurse who dropped her clipboard as soon as she saw what was in front of her. "I'm screwed." He cursed to himself as many more teachers flooded in on the shriek of the nurse.

---

Amongst the bushes and trees nearby Nabi high school, a shadow lurked around.

"Ah... my aim could have been better."