one

Aren't You Tired?

Jung Soojung groaned every few more metres she walked further away from home towards her school. She couldn't believe that she couldn't go through with it last night and it kept her awake. The only way she could sleep was shoving multiple sleeping pills down her tight throat. Her hair was a mess and her eyes were swollen and had dark circles dug deep around them. She suddenly felt a sharp pain on her head and let out a curse word before slowly turning around to face a group of laughing girls: Choi Jinri, Song Qian and Park Sunyoung. Soojung hated how she couldn't get mad at them or curse at them or express her opinions or stand up to them. Every time she had tried, she got shot down because of their remarks or her wavering voice and trembling body.

Everyone in her class was like that; they just went along with what those three did. "If you can't beat them, be them." That's the quote that all of the students and teachers went with in Nabi High school. It was too unlucky for Soojung to be a victim of their sick little play. Sometimes she couldn't take it and she just ran away and left school, other times she forced herself to stay and endure all of the tormenting. But rather than abuse or bullying, she regarded it as a stage everyone goes through. Even if she cried for help, no one would come running. That was the pitiful life of being a Korean student at a Korean school. She sighed as she curled her fingers into a fist and continued walking towards the doors.

After a few minutes, she had arrived at the door of her homeroom class. She peered in, noticing how low the count of students were. She took a breath and opened the door to see Jang Dongwoo and Lee Howon standing beside the lockers, teasing the class president, Lee Jinki. She held her breath, ignoring everything they were saying. She could understand what Jinki was going through but she was too scared to interfere; it was like a mousetrap. She pulled out the chair and threw her bag under the desk and sat down only for the two back legs to break and cause her to topple down, She flinched as she heard two pairs of heavy footsteps grow louder and louder until the two (Dongwoo and Howon) were looming infront of her, peering down.

"Aigoo... Yah, Hoya." Dongwoo began, "She doesn't even know how to sit down on a chair, how ignorant."

"What kind of idiot doesn't even know how to... Aish, people like you really give me headaches..." His voice became lower. "But then again, the frustration I'm feeling and you're feeling and Dongwoo's feeling won't even amount to how pissed the Head will be, you know that right, Soojung?" He hissed, sending shivers down her trembling spine. "Because, if you're so careless, you'll end up costing out beloved school money for the repair fees. The anger will make them snap, the chair legs snap and you'll snap eventually too."

Still on the floor, Soojung began to stutter as she was taking in every single word Howon was saying.

"Things like tables can topple over aswell. Just like this..." Dongwoo suddenly pushed the edge of the table, causing in to fall onto Soojung's knees, giving her bruises. She began to feel a lump forming in . He walked to the side of her and crouched on the floor, their faces only being ten centimentres apart. "Yah, Jeonbog (Topple in korean; 전복), read the chalkboard, we have a new seating plan. You don't belong here. Now move."

Her body started shaking as she could feel Jinki's eyes stuck on her back. She looked up to the see the board with a large diagram scribbled on it. She sighed in relief as the pair of bastards walked off, throwing the chair of the desk beside down as she got up and rearranged the table and chair (she left the chair on the floor) and moved to the seat she was designated to. She avoided eye contact with the class president and she slumped into her seat. It was now that the class was beginning to flood with students.

She took a second glance at the board to see who she was sitting next to. She was right at the back, sitting next to the window so only one person could sit next to her. She furrowed her eyebrows as she read 'Kim Myungsoo' next to her name. She had never heard that name in Nabi High school and she doubted that anyone else had either. As all the girls began talking, she overheard that he was a new student who arrived at Seoul last night. Jinri was boasting at all of the irrelevant information she knew about him because her father was the vice-president of the school.

Their homeroom teacher, Mr. Han, arrived and they all stood up and bowed, Dongwoo and Howon obviously not taking part. He began reading the long list of school announcements, taking his time and making people want to sleep beacause of his boring voice. Soojung rested her head on her arm and looked towards the window, the view wasn't that great but she could see some of Seoul. She shuddered at the sight of Mapo Bridge, remembering the boy and how she must have looked. She wasn't sure if she was either regretting not jumping or regretting thinking about jumping at all but something made her feel unsettled and anxious. Her eyelids became heavy as her lack of sleep hit her again. In that time, the door had creaked open and the new student had walked in.

She ignored most of what was being said but heard Mr. Han direct him to the seat next to hers. Soojung shifted around in her seat, feeling all of the eyes glued onto the new student transfer to her. Sneaking a glance wouldn't hurt and besides, this was the  boy that she'd have to bear with for the rest of the school year so Soojung dared turn around to meet eyes with him.

"Myung- Mapo." She sharply stated, her eyes twitching. "You..."

"Jung Soojung... you look really tired today." 

"Shut up." She muttered, burying her head into her arms and recalling everything. Her cheeks became wet and she pushed her head further and further, wanting to be part of the darkness she could see. It wasn't possible that he was him. At that moment, she wanted to disappear. She ignored everything everyone was saying and isolated herself from the current situation.

She now knew why she felt uncomfortable; it was because a heavy weight would be lifted on her shoulders that day. Maybe I should go back home and go back to my parents. She thought.

Maybe to get rid of this problem, I should go back to the bridge.