Chapter XXI

Hellhound

“Sirs” a tall man spoke as he opened the door for Duncan and Harrison. “Chief Superintendent Hemmingway will see you now”

 

Theo and Rhys were advised to remain at the lobby while the stranger led their two seniors inside the office where a silver name plate on the wall shone against the ivory paint. With careful engraving, the letters were written as ‘NIAMH HEMMINGWAY, Division X- Chief Superintendent Officer’.

 

Theo stared at the title in awe. Just in front of them, the famed chief who bore a knighthood is only a few feet away from them with only the door as the divider. He gulped. It’s an honour to meet the sole person who led Division X from rock to gold, who implemented the highest security service for the royal family, and a first-tier intelligence officer.

 

He felt cold sweat.

 

 


 

 

“Up”

 

“I’m trying my best” Lu Han groaned

 

Kris clicked his tongue “Do not close your eyes”

 

Lu Han huffed

 

“Do not move”

 

“I’m barely moving” Lu Han defended “I’ve been in this situation for a few hours already”

 

Kris leaned his back as he put the paintbrush on the table and crossed his arms “Are you complaining? I thought you said I can punish you all I want?”

 

Lu Han rolled his eyes “I’m not. You said you’ll only paint my face, does it really take you so much time?”

 

Kris raised a brow “Actually, I’m done painting you about an hour ago or so”

 

The younger one’s eyes widened “Bloody he— you tricked me!”

 

“I didn’t” Kris shrugged “I said I’d paint your face and I did”

 

Lu Han glared “Well, you could have told me”

 

“I’m your master and I’ll do whatever I want with you. Or do you not wish to keep your word?”

 

Lu Han stood up “How long will this punishment game end?”

 

“As long as I want” Kris commented “you reap what you sow”

 

Lu Han walked towards Kris “But I won the bet. Lavonia was out at breakfast time”

 

“That’s why I’ve already lessened your punishment” Kris smirked “you would have been stark right now if I didn’t”

 

Lu Han’s eyebrows furrowed “You wish to paint me ?”

 

Kris chuckled and shook his head “No. I wish to humiliate you.” He then looked at Lu Han “But I didn’t know you’re that willing”

 

Lu Han gulped as he felt his face burning.

 

Kris stood up and walked closer to Lu Han. He slowly inched their faces together and went towards Lu Han’s ear. Lu Han could smell Kris strongly from their intimate distance, he couldn’t explain it but it was intoxicating.

 

“Are you?” the tall blonde whispered in a low voice.

 

“I” Lu Han bit his lip and shook his head “I think I have to go” as he distanced himself away from Kris. He hurried towards the door but Kris had already trapped him in between. Still, Lu Han refused to look back.

 

Kris’ eyes travelled around Lu Han’s neck, he breathed hot air against Lu Han’s skin “You didn’t answer my question”

 

Lu Han shivered from the contact. “That— that’s ridiculous” he scoffed awkwardly.

 

“I don’t think you do think that” Lu Han could feel Kris’ smirk behind him. Kris grazed his finger on Lu Han’s nape “for the way you shiver in this slight touch and the way your fair complexion flushes into the colour of pink” Kris blew hot air on Lu Han’s neck in which the younger gasped in surprise.

 

“Young master, enough with the jokes” Lu Han breathed nervously “this isn’t funny. I deeply apologize and I won’t complain anymore with your punishments”

 

Kris held Lu Han’s nape and made the younger one turn around. He closely pressed his body against him in the process as he looked directly into Lu Han’s eyes, closing the distance between them “If I tell you I’m punishing you right now, will you oblige to whatever I tell you?”

 

Lu Han did not blink an eye saying “Yes”

 

“So if I tell you to strip, will you do it?”

 

“Yes”

 

Kris smirked “Then continue to amuse me in the future. Retire for the night, Lu Han” as he departed away from the doe-eyed boy.

 

 


 

 

Theo and Rhys straightened their backs as the door opened revealing their two seniors.

 

“Gregory, Moran” Duncan spoke “this is Chief Superintendent Hemmingway”

 

Theo did not even bother to look and immediately saluted “It’s an honour to meet you sir—“

 

“Ma’am” a female voice interrupted.

 

Theo looked astonishingly at the woman in front of him. He wanted to slap himself at his stupidity.

 

Niamh Hemmingway is a woman.

 

“I get that a lot” Hemmingway spoke as she glanced to Duncan beside her “and I do not wish to repeat it again”

 

“Forgive our lack of knowledge, ma’am” Rhys bowed.

 

“So I heard you hooligans are up for a case and it involves my jurisdiction?” Hemmingway crossed her arms.

 

“That is correct, ma’am” Theo replied.

 

He still could not believe it. The sole person who earned a knighthood in Scotland Yard is a woman. The very woman who stands in front of them.

 

Niamh Hemmingway can be considered tall for a woman. Her svelte figure can be noticed on how the way her black suit is wrapped securely around her. She wore a white dress shirt inside with the black tie around her neck and black cotton slacks to match her black leather flat shoes. Her long blonde hair was tied neatly in a ponytail and she wore little less makeup which complemented her already fair skin.

 

Theo noticed she had deep blue eyes and a very attractive face. Although she might look like a pretty downtown girl he knew it’s a dangerous risk to cross paths with her

 

“Why don’t we proceed to the conference room?” Duncan spoke

 

 


 

 

“All victims” Yi Xing started as soon as all the officers involved in the case had seated themselves “has particular common ground”

 

“Don’t you mean buried on the same particular ground?” Rhys jokingly teased but nobody in the room laughed, he only earned displeased glances.

 

“Continuing” Yi Xing cleared his throat awkwardly “All of these victims— women in particular, were on the same place two years ago in here” he then placed the copy of the record book at the centre of the table.

 

Hemmingway examined the record “Finally, someone of use” she looked at Yi Xing “we’re going to need someone like you in the Yard. I won’t take no for an answer”

 

Yi Xing nodded “Of course, ma’am. I will cooperate fully on this case”

 

“And by the way, I heard some interesting news” she glanced at Duncan “something that involves the British Monarchy?”

 

Duncan gave her a confused look.

 

Hemmingway clicked her tongue “Let me rephrase that. Someone in the British Monarchy” she tapped her finger in her chin “I heard he’s a young influential man, quite a charmer actually”

 

Theo scoffed upon hearing the word ‘charmer’

 

Hemmingway turned to the junior officer “Is there any problem?”

 

“Um” Rhys spoke “if you’re referring to Marquis Wellesley— as what I presume, Theo doesn’t like him”

 

“Oh?” She raised her brow

 

“It’s about this woman— ow!” Rhys exclaimed when Theo elbowed him.

 

“That’s enough” Theo scowled.

 

“So this Marquis Wellesley, how are acquainted with him?” Hemmingway questioned.

 

“He’d been an aid in the last two cases” Rhys replied.

 

“An aid, how?”

 

“It’s kind of like his hobby. Solving crimes that is”

 

“But why show up now?” She countered “Why show up when this Jack the Ripper started his killing spree?”

 

“I” Rhys could not find the answer “We don’t know”

 

“Then how was he as an aid?”

 

“He is no doubt very intelligent”

 

Hemmingway raised her brow.

 

“The way he sees through very little details and how his mind works very quickly in deductions”

 

“Sounds like you’re in love” Hemmingway scoffed. She then turned to Yi Xing “You’re the only one among the people around here I consider intelligent, how is he?”

 

“I’ve never met the man myself” Yi Xing started “but I wanted to. He gave me a good first impression despite not meeting him”

 

Hemmingway hummed “If he’s really that intelligent then I wish to meet him”

 

“Pardon me but” Harrison spoke for the first time “I do not think we need his presence in this case. We can solve this by ourselves”

 

“Like you did in the last two cases?” Hemmingway countered “need I remind you that any information that the marquis had helped you, if leaked, will bring shame not only to your division but to the whole Scotland Yard”

 

Hemmingway stood up “I will bloody hell meet the man. Is that clear?”

 

 


 

 

“Someone’s frustrated”

 

Lu Han puffed his cheeks as soon as he saw Eli feasting on the egg pie he unconsciously made.

 

“I mean” Eli continued “I know nobody that bakes egg pies out of anger. God, this is delicious”

 

“Lu Han’s frustrated?” Kevin emerged from the door and immediately went to the island counter upon smelling the delicious scent. “That’s new. Even Lady Lavonia did not frustrate you this much”

 

“Speak for yourself” Eli commented “did you forget you also cleaned your room out of frustration?”

 

“At least look on the bright side” Kevin countered “You had your gain here. You were spared to tidy my room and you even got a nice treat from Lu Han”

 

“You make it sound like frustration is a good thing” Lu Han finally spoke as he grabbed a pie and shoved it in his mouth. “Wow, I actually made a delicious pie”

 

Kevin leaned on the counter “Why don’t you give young master some for his midnight snack?”

 

Lu Han stopped chewing “No way”

 

“Oh I see” Kevin beamed “young master is the reason why you’re frustrated”

 

“That grin of yours is very annoying”

 

“But you’re not denying it” Kevin teased “has he planted strawberries on you yet?”

 

“Kevin!” Eli exclaimed.

 

“What’s that?” Lu Han sounded clueless.

 

“Oh you have no idea, sweetheart” Kevin’s grin widened “but if you wish to know, just ask young master. I’m pretty sure he’s willing to oblige”

 

“Don’t listen to him, Lu Han” Eli defended.

 

Kevin leaned closer to Lu Han “It’s basically a mark. The book says once it’s been done to you by someone, you’re that someone’s property”

 

Lu Han raised his eyebrow “So it’s basically a servant’s mark. What you’re saying is that young master should mark me as his servant?”

 

Kevin snorted “Oh my, I didn’t know Lu Han’s bloody ”