Chapter XVII

Hellhound

 

Lu Han was taking out the trash along with Kevin when they noticed a carriage had pulled over in front of the manor. Before he could ask anything, Kevin had already spoken.

 

“Not again” He frowned.

 

Curious about his companion’s grim expression, Lu Han turned his eyes back to the visitor. A lady had emerged from the carriage. She was a short lady as Lu Han defined her. Her brunette hair lay freely along her waist and she wore a golden laced Victorian dress matched with a small ivory hat. A man whom Lu Han assumed to be the coachman carried her luggage towards the doorway as she rang the doorbell.

 

“Who is she?” Asked Lu Han

 

“Lady Lavonia Oxford” Kevin replied with a sigh “Count Oxford’s only daughter”

 

Lu Han nodded “Why is she here? Will she be staying?”

 

“What else” Kevin scoffed “to pester young master”

 

Lu Han turned to his companion “Pester?”

 

“She fancies him” Kevin motioned Lu Han to walk back to the house “you’d be surprised how many ladies fall head over heels for him”

 

Lu Han took a final glance at the Lady who Eli had just greeted “I already feel sorry for her”

 

“You’ll regret what you said once you meet her” Kevin patted his shoulder as they entered the back door “A friendly advice, control your fists as soon as she starts talking”

 

Lu Han stopped his tracks, puzzled by Kevin’s words.

 

 


 

 

“Good day, Lady Oxford” Eli contemplated “we weren’t expecting you—“

 

“Is Lord Wellesley home?” She interrupted before Eli could finish his sentence.

 

“He is” Eli replied as he motioned for her to enter and carried her luggage.

 

Once they had entered the living room, Eli excused himself “I shall inform young master you have arrived”

 

“Let me” she suggested “I haven’t seen him in a long time”

 

“But milady—“

 

“I’m his childhood friend, he should be glad” but before she could make her way towards the stairs, Lu Han had walked in carrying a tray of tea.

 

“My lady” he spoke “I have delivered a tea for you must be tired from your travel”

 

She raised her brow “Eli” she called “on the second thought, you call Lord Wellesley. I shall have my tea as this man suggested”

 

Eli bowed and gave Lu Han a quick apologetic look before striding the stairs. Lu Han was again puzzled.

 

“Are you going to serve me tea while standing?”

 

Lu Han regained himself quickly “Forgive me, milady. Please take a seat”

 

“Are you new here?” she questioned as soon as she sat in the chaise lounge “I do not recall meeting you before”

 

“Ah, yes” Lu Han replied whilst pouring tea.

 

“I’m Lavonia Oxford. And you are?” she sipped her tea.

 

“Lu Han, milady”

 

“It’s bitter” her brows furrowed then handed Lu Han the cup. Before he could take a hold of it, she had already let it go causing the cup to break and spill the tea all over the carpet “Oh my” she gasped “my hand must have slipped”

 

Lu Han picked up the broken pieces when he heard footsteps descending. “What happened?” A voice echoed behind.

 

“My Lord” Lavonia beamed as she stood up and performed a curtsy.

 

Kris nodded in response “What was that shattering noise I heard?”

 

“Ah” she sighed in regret “your new servant slipped his hand before serving me tea”

 

Lu Han’s head immediately shot up but he was met with her glaring stare, the sudden movement caused his fingers to graze upon a sharp piece. He hissed in pain.

 

“Goodness” she gasped “Isn’t that the China porcelain you had brought back from Asia upon your travels? I recall they were as expensive as the Queen’s pearl necklaces”

 

“That is true” Kris remarked as his eyes travelled towards the broken cup Lu Han was carefully retrieving. “Shall we go to the garden to chat? I shall see to it the tea will be delivered by Kevin”

 

Lavonia did not bother to hide her smile “Of course, as you wish, my lord”

 

 


 

 

“Careful!” Lu Han exclaimed as Eli tended to his wound. It wasn’t a deep cut but it wasn’t shallow either. Still, it hurt.

 

“You’re lucky it’s only a cut” Eli was now patching the wound after the bleeding had stopped.

 

“You quite have eyes for observing” Lu Han commented “I didn’t even notice I had cut myself that badly before you told me”

 

Eli shook his head “I didn’t notice it. Young master did. He told me to tend your wound before we departed ways in the foyer”

 

Lu Han was not surprised anymore. It was Kris after all. But something inside him felt happy. He immediately shrugged the thought when Kris’ sadistic face appeared in his memory.

 

“But you know what?” Eli continued “congratulations on passing the first stage”

 

“Passing what?” Lu Han questioned.

 

“You managed not to punch the light out of her” Eli chuckled.

 

Lu Han looked at his wound “Was she always like that?”

 

“You’d be amused how young master was able to cope up it with. The first time I encountered her she made me remove my coat because there was a mud puddle and she does not want to dirty her shoes.” He sighed.

 

Lu Han’s eyes widened.

 

“Then she got Kevin to recook her food because most of the time, she’s allergic to this and that. That was the first time I ever saw Kevin so furious to the point that he vented his anger towards cleaning his room.” Eli paused “Remember, Kevin never cleans his room. He has trouble remembering where his things are if they are tidy. Everything needs to be in his hand’s grasp”

 

Lu Han was speechless.

 

“Then she’d always call for the twins to do various stuffs for her for her own entertainment. One time she had summoned them to clean her bedroom but at that exact time she had just gotten out of bath. The poor kids were accused of peeping into her. Aidan almost punched her but fortunately we had stopped him after we heard her scream. She hated their guts and they too returned the favour”

 

“What an awful lady”

 

Eli nodded in agreement “She’s only tame when young master’s around. Like a puppy who wants to be petted”

 

Lu Han cringed as he pictured the image and Eli threw him an ‘I-told-you-so’ look.

 

“How long will she stay here?”

 

Eli sighed “Sadly, as long as she wants. Even though she’s young master’s childhood friend as what she always proclaims, young master still needs to be careful dealing with her for she’s an Earl’s daughter.

 

“Kevin was right” Lu Han exhaled “I take back what a said about pitying her”

 

Eli patted his shoulder “Brace yourself, your hell with her is just beginning”

 

 


 

 

For two days Lu Han had begrudgingly done what she had demanded. The tasks weren’t very heavy but it was tiring and biased. She was making him her personal servant and he had not signed up for this. Lu Han this, Lu Han that, her voice was still ringing in his ears. Sometimes she would call for him in the middle of the night to iron her clothes, sometimes she would order him to buy various things and by the time he returns, she would change her mind saying she doesn’t need them.

 

The other four felt sorry for him.

 

Lu Han pondered when a realization hit him. He’s not going to lose his pride from a lady. He pitied himself, had he forgotten who he was? Had he forgotten his purpose? Lu Han felt ridiculous. He needs to turn the tables around.

 

 


 

 

By the third day they were out in the garden.

 

“Oops” Lavonia gasped when she intentionally threw her hat allowing the wind to sway it towards a tree “would you mind getting that?”

 

Lu Han smiled “Of course” her face full of confusion.

 

“Lu Han, that’s too high” Kevin stopped him.

 

Lu Han shook his head “It’s alright. I’ll be fine”

 

“Big brother, please be careful”, Kieran spoke. Aidan stepped forward “We can do it for you”

 

He gave them a faint smile before walking towards the tree. Lu Han looked up. The first branch he could reach himself was around ten feet high. He took a few steps back before lunging. As soon as he figured out the estimated distance, he jumped. His foot landed on the trunk and he used the same foot to project himself using a certain amount of force to be able to reach the first branch. His body swung but he pulled himself up and locked both of his legs towards the branch.

 

Lavonia gasped in shock while the four servants held their breath.

 

Lu Han stood up. He missed this feeling, this thrill. He hasn’t done this for a very long time and the excitement he felt made his heart pound wildly.

 

He loved this, he must not forget.

 

He walked further from the trunk as soon as he had regained his balance and hopped to reach the next branch. He was already less than twenty feet above ground. Lu Han looked around; he had the full view of the manor’s garden. He found it stunning from where he’s standing.

 

The hat was only ten more feet. He braced himself as he reached towards the last branch. Finally, the hat was only an arm’s reach. Lu Han retrieved the hat and braced himself again for his first jump going down. He smoothly let himself fall and immediately grabbed the branch as soon as his body was on par with it.

 

“Goodness!” Lavonia exclaimed.

 

Lu Han knew this is where the fun starts. Again, he balanced himself away from the branch like and acrobat balancing on a wire. As soon as he reached the end, he turned about face and closed his eyes.

 

This is it. He grinned excitedly.

 

Lu Han inhaled deeply before he jumped and back flipped— face down.

 

Kevin gripped his hair while Eli held his breath. Kieran and Aidan held each other’s hands tightly. They were only waiting for the impact.

 

Lu Han opened his eyes and smirked. Estimating the distance, he finally performed a summersault landing successfully on both feet.

 

“Milady” he handed Lavonia her hat before striding back to the mansion. His grin did not fade.

 

 


 

 

After dinner, Lu Han has served them their desserts but as soon as he had put the platter in front of her, she had questioned him.

 

“What is this?”

 

Lu Han shrugged “Fruits are healthier for desserts than processed flour” Before she could complain anymore Lu Han had spoken first “Don’t worry, it’s yogurt and not cream. Yogurts are basically fermented, semi fluid milk product. Creams contain more fat.”

 

Lavonia was about to open but Lu Han did not let her voice out “You are not allergic to milk. Kevin serves you midnight tea with milk mixed in them to help you relax and you’ve never had any allergic reaction. Trust me, yogurt is good for you. It contains good bacteria such as Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophiles, and sometimes Lactobacillus acidophilus.” He explained.

 

For the rest of the night, they never heard her utter a demand.

 

 


 

 

The fourth day came and Lu Han went to the music room to have private time for himself. Lavonia’s attitude was ceasing and it’s only a short amount of time before she leaves the manor. Thinking about her departing was Lu Han’s greatest joy for now. Knowing she hates his guts the most now puts a smile on his face.

 

“What are you smiling for?”

 

Lu Han turned to the source of voice only to see Kris leaning on the doorway. Then he realized they had never interacted for the whole time Lavonia was in the estate. Whenever he sees him there is always her clinging onto him like a love-struck teenager. Lavonia also kept him busy over her demands and complains like a queen.

 

“I’m imagining your lover to finally leave” there was no use hiding the fact, Lu Han thought.

 

Kris’ face darkened upon Lu Han’s notice “She is not my lover” his frown suddenly turned into smirk “but you honesty does amuse me”

 

“Is that so?” There was sarcasm in Lu Han’s tone “I had assumed for how much she clings to you like she was glued”

 

“I need to be careful dealing with her” Kris countered “for she is still the daughter of one of the most prominent families here in England”

 

“It’s always about power, isn’t it?” Lu Han scoffed as he walked towards Kris, his eyes never leaving the taller “Then why don’t I do it for you?”

 

Kris raised his eyebrows, he wore a challenging smile “Oh?”

 

Lu Han leaned closer, faces only a few inches apart “It’s a secret but promise you’ll play along. I will keep you amused”

 

Kris smirked “As long as you never fail to entertain me”

 

 


 

 

“So” Lu Han started “the lady always brings young master’s morning tea?”

 

Kevin nodded “She doesn’t even know how to make one. She’s as good as a girl playing house trying to be a good wife. It’s her front but you don’t know what happens backstage”

 

“I heard you have a plan to drive her out?” Eli approached them while Kieran and Aidan followed suit.

 

Lu Han nodded excitedly “But I need your cooperation, I can’t do this alone”

 

“No problem” Kevin beamed “as long as we can drive her out, I’ll do anything”

 

“Great”

 

 


 

 

Kris was in the middle of ing his clothes when he heard a knock on the door “Who is it?” he called.

 

“It’s Lu Han”

 

Kris opened the door surprised to see the younger male holding a tray with tea and cookies.

 

“Care for a midnight snack?”

 

Kris furrowed his eyebrows “How unusual”

 

“Can’t I serve my master?”

 

Kris opened the door for Lu Han to enter and the latter immediately placed the tray on the table. He looked around. He hadn’t been able to enter this room for a long time now.

 

“What are you here for?” Kris started as he sat on the bed.

 

Lu Han poured him his tea and handed him the cup “I missed you?” he teased.

 

Kris gave Lu Han a blank stare before sipping the hot liquid. Lu Han is not telling him anything and Lu Han knows Kris is not having it.

 

“I’m back as being your servant now” He beamed.

 

“Haven’t you been?”

 

Lu Han sat on the chair in front of Kris “We all know your childhood friend has been my Queen Victoria for these past few days. I’m just celebrating for coming back to my daily duties”

 

Kris looked amused “Oh really? But she’s still here, isn’t she?”

 

“Not for long” Lu Han leaned back.

 

“Then tomorrow night?”

 

“Tomorrow morning” Lu Han countered “breakfast

 

“At breakfast then” Kris remarked “and if you lose?”

 

“You can do whatever you want to me but” Lu Han straightened his back “you must play along no matter what”

 

“Only if it amuses… me” Kris yawed, he felt sleepy all of a sudden and his eyes were blurring.

 

“Sleep, Kris.” Lu Han helped him get settled “you must have been tired these past few days”. As soon as Lu Han confirmed Kris was fast asleep, he sighed “I know you won’t be pleased with what I’m about to do but this is the fastest way I can only think of” before he left Kris’ room along with the tray.