Chapter X

Hellhound

Lu Han was lost in the crowd.

 

After being asked by Kris to fetch a small black box in the carriage, his sense of direction degraded and Kris was nowhere to be found.

 

These heels are absolutely killing me.

 

“My Lady!”

 

There was a man going towards Lu Han’s direction. As soon as the figure cleared, Lu Han wanted to run away because he knows he’s bad news.

 

Did he recognize me?

 

Before Lu Han could take any step further, the man already caught up to him and grabbed his hand preventing him to move. “I’m sorry” the man immediately let go upon realizing his deed.

 

Lu Han kept quiet and lowered his head instead. He couldn’t be more embarrassed than this; Kris was a bastard for humiliating him like this. And to top it all off, that dumb officer who couldn’t stomach a dead body found him.

 

“Here” Theo handed the black handkerchief “It’s yours, right?”

 

Lu Han immediately knew it was his as soon as he read the golden letters. Kris had put his real initials on it. A definitely means Alphonsius.

 

When Lu Han grabbed his handkerchief, Theo put up the courage to ask a name “would you please tell me your name?”

 

As soon as the officer took a step forward, Lu Han clutched the handkerchief and stepped backwards only to bump into someone.

 

 


 

 

“I want you to marry my daughter”

 

Kris could not believe it.

 

Lord Guttenberg had just asked him to marry his daughter. It was absurdity. Before he could say anything, someone bumped behind him and as soon as he saw who it was, relief showered over him.

 

And Lu Han thinks he was saved by the moment.

 

“Careful my love” Kris wrapped his arm around Lu Han’s waist “I thought I had lost you”

 

Everyone around them was speechless for a minute, even Lu Han.

 

Lord Guttenberg courageously tried to break the ice “Kris, would you please explain what is going on?”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry uncle. I forgot to tell you I recently got engaged” Kris eyed Lu Han lovingly as he pulled him closer “To this lovely lady”

 

“What?” Mary Eliza and Theo Gregory both chorused.

 

“Kris?” Lu Han whispered. His eyes were full of confusion.

 

Kris held Lu Han’s chin upward to face him “My love, I knew you were in despair as soon as you realized you had lost the ring I gave you. So I thought I’d bring you to this event” Kris smiled “to lessen your worries but I saw it in your eyes that you were still unhappy so I asked you to get this for me” as he took the black box from Lu Han’s hand.

 

Kris opened the box which revealed a silver ring with diamonds engraved in it. Kris took a hold of Lu Han’s left hand and put the ring on his ring finger. Every body’s eyes were in awe, even Lu Han himself.

 

“Don’t blame yourself for losing the previous one. My love for you can’t be measured by a mere ring” Kris lovingly kissed Lu Han’s temple “I assure you that” before turning to Lord Guttenberg “I deeply apologize for declining you offer uncle but as you can see, I’m already betrothed to my beloved”

 

There was disappointment in the Lord’s eyes, he was hoping his nephew would be the best choice for his daughter seeing he will be the future duke any time soon “I see, indeed it’s too bad” he turned to Lu Han “From which family are you my dear?”

 

Before Lu Han could respond, Kris took the initiative to reply “She’s from the Aplhonsius family branch” he turned to Lu Han and kissed her ringed hand “and her name is Hanna”

 

“The Alphonsius’ huh” Lord Guttenberg contemplated before leaving with his daughter “It was nice meeting you little Hanna, Kris is very lucky to have such a beautiful fiancée”

 

 


 

 

“So it turned out the girl you were following and was hoping to have a chance with is Marquis Wellesley’s adored fiancée” Rhys melodiously stated over his depressed junior.

 

“She’s so beautiful, of course I can’t help it” Theo gripped his hair.

 

The officers were on standby and continuously watched the crowd dissipate as the night grew darker.

 

“Well, obviously you wouldn’t stand a chance on that” Rhys pointed towards the corner and Theo’s eyes followed suit “Two people gifted with absolute beauty stand closely to each other and the other’s arm wrapped around his lover lovingly. Just looking at them makes you feel horrible”

 

“You don’t have to say it out loud” Theo groaned in despair.

 

“You two” Harrison spoke “enough with the chitchat and do your jobs properly”

 

 


 

 

“The only reason I’m allowing you to hold me like this is because my feet are killing me” Lu Han pouted “what was that all about and why did you tell them my family name?”

 

“It was for a show. I knew my uncle had a motive when he invited me to come. This isn’t even a special party and the people around are just the same faces you see in the parliament every day. I could give you credit for not ruining my act” Kris stated blatantly “and I know he wouldn’t buy it if I say a random family, he’d most likely check on your background but what luck, his access maybe vast but Asian party is not on his premises so you’re safe”

 

“You’re really fond of using people” Lu Han commented

 

“I do my best to please myself”

 

“I never thought you’d go with so much length just to dress me up and make me your fiancée” as Lu Han fiddled with the laces on his dress, he wondered how Kris managed to know his measurements. It’s like the dress was made solely for him.

 

He immediately shrugged the thought, after all, it’s Kris.

 

“I enjoyed it and I’m pretty sure you did too” Kris smirked before whispering to Lu Han’s ear “Let’s enjoy the party, my love” leaving Lu Han with a confused pounding heart.