Eyes II

Cotton Candy

Wendy has always been a curious person. She once a deodorant stick when she was a kid just to know what it tastes like. She likes exploring and knowing things. If she doesn’t know one thing she’s curious about, you bet that her cute will be in the library or in front of the computer looking up possible explanations or answers. But there’s always one thing she still can’t find an answer to-- soulmates.

 

“How do you find your soulmate?” she hit enter on the search bar and millions of answers came up. She clicked those that looked interesting and spent hours reading through them but it all said the same thing:

 

You’ll know when you know.

 

“What kind of answer is that?!” she mumbled frustratedly to herself as she closed her computer and sighed in irritation, “I hate not knowing!”


 


 

She became hyper-aware of her eyes after that, looking at them everyday to see if it will change. It only did so twice: once was back when she just landed in Korea to pursue her dreams and the other one was just this very day.

 

She was so tired from the rehearsals they’ve been doing for the past weeks and all the preparation needed for their debut that she barely has her eyes open when she decided to take a shower that early morning; even brushing her teeth with her eyes closed. She had forgone looking at the mirror since her bare face would be needed for the meeting with the stylist unnies in the next hour to talk about the style for their debut.

 

“So this is the theme we wanted and decided upon” the stylist began talking, pointing to the powerpoint slide in front of the room. “Each one of you will have your own respective colors.”

 

“Can we pick?” Joy asked and the stylist laughed at the cuteness of the youngest.

 

“Not really”

 

“Oh”

 

“But we made sure that each color highlights you and your personality.” The stylist smiled, pointing to the new slide adorned with all their faces. “As you can see here, Pink will be for Irene, Orange for Seulgi, Blue for Wendy, and Green for Joy. As for the make-up, here’s the palette and some pegs chosen for each and every one of you.”

 

The room was quiet as they looked at the style that they will be given in the following days. Wendy had noticed the general freshness of the make-up palette that they were all given, imagining what she would look like with those on. The head stylist had looked at each of them, seemingly studying their faces before her eyes widened in realisation at two of the girls’ new features.

 

“I see that Seulgi and Wendy has lighter eyes now?” there was a collective gasp in the room as the eyes of the oldest and youngest stared in shock at the two 94-liners--one wearing a blushing expression and trying to hide, while the other looked curiously at everyone, pulling out her phone and opening the camera app.

 

“Ohmygod” Wendy whispered as her once black eyes are now brown in color.

 



 

The excitement from finding out the change in her eye color died down the following days as she was swamped with rehearsals, recordings, and learning the new dance moves which she was having a real tough time with. The other three girls had already memorised their own parts and was on their way on perfecting it while she’s still stuck on a certain step that her feet can’t quite get.

 

It was already late when the girls called it a day and Joy had begged for them to get something to eat before going back to the dorms but Wendy had smiled apologetically and decided to stay longer to practice.

 

“But unnieeee~~~” Joy whined.

 

“You girls go ahead, I’ll see you later~” Wendy smiled, waving them off already. The three girls were hesitant at first but walked off in defeat, knowing that once the canadian sets her mind on something, there’s no stopping her. They waved goodbye to each other before Wendy was back to practicing.

 

“UGHHHH” she screamed in frustration after 10 minutes. She looked around feeling uncomfortable in the practice room that she should be familiar with by now, noticing all the new equipments and shuddering. She grabbed her things and decided to go somewhere more familiar.

 

“This is much better” she whispered to herself, feeling more at ease as she began practicing again, her mind focusing on her moves and dance steps. She was a good thirty minutes into it and she thinks that she got most of the steps she’s having trouble with right. She recorded herself and was in the middle of watching it when she felt someone watching her. She looked up and got startled by the pair of light brown eyes staring softly at her through the mirror and she had quickly turned around in shock.

 

“Seul?! What are you doing here?”

 

“I went back to the practice room but you weren’t there” the bear smiled, “I had a feeling you were here. Anyway, I brought food”

 

“Oh?”

 

“C’mon eat first then I’ll help you with your part after.” Seulgi walked towards her and grabbed her arm, pulling her to the couch and cajoling her to sit down before bringing out the food she brought and placing it on the table.

 

“There’s so much!”

“I’ll eat with you, don’t worry~”

 

“Didn’t you eat with Joy and unnie already?” Wendy asked, eyebrows scrunched together in question. Seulgi shook her head.

 

“Nah~ I just ordered stuff for us then left the two to go here. Now c’mon eat up~” the bear handed Wendy some chopsticks before starting to eat. The younger one’s eyes softened unconditionally as she looked at the bear-like girl, her heart beating a bit too fast and giving off such warmness throughout her body. It’s at this moment that a thought so rebellious crossed her mind:

 

If it’s not her, then what’s the point?

 


 

It was a week after when she was sitting hunched by the corner of her favorite practice room early in the morning, papers scattered in front of her and scissors in hand as she carefully cut shapes on the red paper she was holding. After she was done with that, she quickly began the next step--gluing. She pulled out the glue stick from her bag and had tried her best to be precise with where she was going to stick the paper she had just cut.

 

“What are you doing….?” Came a voice by the door that startled her, she quickly got all the strewn papers in a haste and placed it in the paper bag just by her side. She looked back and saw her now favorite pair of eyes playfully staring back at her in question.

 

“N-nothing! What are you doing here so early?!” her voice was a pitch higher than normal as she tried to get up while hiding the paper bag behind her.

 

“I wanted to eat breakfast with you but when I came out of the room, unnie said you already left to practice?”

 

“Oh...yeah.. I did hehe” she laughed awkwardly, “Let me just place my things here and we can go grab something to eat”

 

“You sure? You seem…. busy…?” Seul asked, eye-ing the paper bag that the smaller one was trying but failing to hide under her jacket on the couch.

 

“No no no, it’s good!~ Let’s go!” and just like that, Wendy had hooked arms with the older girl and pulled her out of their cozy practice room.

 

It was the following day when Wendy had nervously but excitedly pulled the bear on one side to give her a big envelope.

 

“Open it~” she giddily said, smiling from ear to ear as the older girl looked back at her a questioning smile in place.

 

“Well, go on~” Seulgi stared at her for a bit before nodding her head and began opening the envelope. The bear pulled out a card and curiously looked at Wendy but the latter was nodding her head for her to continue.

 

Wendy watched as the older one slowly (in her opinion) opened the card, revealing the heart adorned paper along with the title ‘Lifetime Friendship Certificate’. She heard a small gasp from the bear and she observed how Seulgi’s eyes moved from word to word and she can’t help but wonder what it feels like to be the one that Seulgi’s eyes changes for. She bit her lip at the thought, looking away for a while to collect herself before looking back at the bear who was now staring straight into her eyes. There was a collection of emotions swirling in Seulgi’s eyes that she can’t quite read.

 

“Wan...” her breath hitched. It’s the first time Seulgi had ever used a nickname for her.

 

“I-”

 

“Hey girls!! C’mon! We have to go!” Irene called out, startling the both of them.

 

“Y-Yeah! Okay!” She called out, glancing quickly at Seulgi who was now busy putting the card inside her backpack before looking back at her, eyes swarming with unsaid things as she asked her,

 

“Lets go?” she nodded, afraid that her voice might not come out.

 


 

There was a change between them the next days. Their other members had noticed it too, quietly eyeing the two of them when they are into their own world, laughing and enjoying each other’s presence, but never really confronting them about it.

 

It was moments where she would stare at Seulgi’s smiling face, observing every curve and every light that bounces off the latter’s eyes, that she wishes and prays that the bear be hers. Joy cleared to get her attention.

 

“Unnie,” the youngest began, flipping through the magazine on her hand, “you’re drooling”

 

“Wha--” she was fast to wipe only to find out that there was no drool to actually wipe. She glared at the now cackling maknae. “Joy!”

 

“I didn’t mean it literally, unnie” the youngest laughed some more, looking at her from the mirror. They were currently getting styled for their debut, the head stylist unnie was busy making sure that everything goes to plan.

 

“You’re lucky I can’t move right now or else” She glared some more, trying her best to be intimidating. Joy only smirked.

 

“I’m excited on how this will turn out. I have a bet with Irene unnie and I’m 100% sure I’ll win”

 

“What did you bet on?” Joy shrugged, a knowing smile in place, as she continued flipping through her magazine.

 

It was three hours later when they’re finally finished. Joy and Irene had quickly pulled each other so that they could walk together leaving the two 94-liners with each other.

 

“My legs fell asleep so many times” Wendy mumbled, slowly stretching while walking. The bear chuckled at her antics, looking at her with warmness.

 

“It really took us so long to be done, but I like how it turned out.” She nodded in agreement, staring at the older one’s side profile that just became even more gorgeous than before. She felt her heart swell up in affection for the upteenth time.

 

“You know” she began looking away from the bear, “When I was a kid, I never liked not knowing things.”

 

“Uhm.. okay?” She can hear the sound of confusion in Seulgi’s voice and she smiled before continuing,

 

“For the longest time, I’ve always felt irritated about not knowing who my soulmate is” she sighed, “but since I met you… I think I’m fine with not knowing.”

 

“It’s funny because I feel the same way.” She finally looked at Seulgi who was staring back at her with adoration. Their eyes met and both of them gasped.

 

“YOUR EYES!” they both shouted in unison as they saw the slowly changing color of each other’s eyes. Seulgi’s once light brown eyes now has a partition with blue painting the bottom half of it.

 

“W-wan, your eyes… they’re orange at the bottom” Seulgi whisper-stuttered, finger pointing shakily towards her eyes.

 

“And your eyes has blue at the bottom half” she answered back, eyes never wavering as she held the bear’s hand that’s pointing at her. They stared at each other for a few minutes, their faces flushing red bit by bit as realisation slowly hits them and they giggled at first before both bursts into full blown laughter as they held each other closely.

 

“What’s taking you so long?” Irene asked as she and Joy walked back to see why their two friends had suddenly stopped and were now dying of laughter.

 

“All these time!” Seulgi began, holding on to Wendy a little bit tighter as she continued laughing.

 

“We’re soulmates!” Wendy continued with glee, eyes twinkling and cheeks now red from blushing.

 

“What?” Irene blinked back before Joy nudged her with a smirk.

 

“Pay up, oldie”



A/N: This is part 2/2 of this twoshot. I hope you liked this one~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY LOVE SWEET ANGEL MOST PRECIOUS PERSON, WENDY SON SEUNGWAN! No words can even come close to describe my love for you. I can't wait till the day I get to see your smile again. I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUUUUUUU <33333