Fake Girlfriend

Cotton Candy

“Okay, wait, excuse me? What?” she asked incredulously, not really believing what this tall best friend of hers was asking. Said bestfriend looked like she’s torn between being distressed and just bursting into tears.


“Please be my fake girlfriend for that wedding my parents are making me attend on Saturday next week?”


“Seul..” she paused, closing her eyes and letting out a heavy breath before continuing, “your parents know that we’re definitely NOT a couple.”


“But that was before! We could just easily tell them that we’re dating now! Please, Wen.” and then the puppy eyes. Wendy sighed once again, looking at those bear-like eyes of her bestfriend. “Please?”

 


 

And that’s how Wendy found herself in this semi-chaotic situation. Her other friend, Joy, has been laughing at her face for the last 10 minutes since she finished telling the story.

 

“I can’t believe you said yes. Of all people!” Joy laughed some more and Wendy huffed.

 

“You should’ve seen her giving me puppy eyes!”

 

“You’re so whipped!”

 

“I’m not!”

 

“So, please, amuse me some more,” Joy paused, trying to calm herself before asking, “what are you going to say to Seulgi’s family?” Wendy sighed, leaning back on the couch she’s sitting at and rubbing her temples to try and soothe the oncoming headache she’s about to have.

 

“The story would be, I realized I liked Seul as more--”

 

“HA!” Joy laughed and Wendy glared at her before continuing,

 

“And then I told Seul and she apparently feels the same way and then we decided to date.”

 

“HA!”

 

“I will strangle you.”

 

“Okay, but you have to admit that it’s funny!”

 

“Maybe for you!!!”

 

“So okay, why did that bear suddenly asked for this favor?”

 

“She said that she heard her parents talk about this guy that’s going to attend the wedding and they’ll be introducing him to her. We’re guessing that her parents are trying to set her up?”

 

“That makes sense?” Wendy rolled her eyes and Joy watched in amusement as her little friend gently punched the pillow on her lap, grumbling something about how stupid Seulgi is. Joy wouldn’t admit it openly but she thinks that the two best friends have actual romantic feelings for each other that they haven’t noticed since they’re into their own world most of the time. She snickered again and Wendy had kicked her foot in irritation.

 




The two best friends decided to ease it in. Seulgi had invited Wendy over her place to try and show her parents that the two of them are dating by being all couple-y in front of them.

 

“Are you sure this is gonna work?” Wendy whispered-asked as Seulgi met her at the door.

 

“Shhh, it will. You know what to do, right?”

 

“...Act like we’re dating?”

 

“Yeah”

 

“Okay…. but how are we gonna do that? It’s not like we’ve dated anyone before!” and that seemed to stop the dumb bear in her tracks.

 

“You’re right!” she suddenly said in a panic. “I don’t know how to date! WAN, OMG!!!”

 

“SHHHH!! They’re gonna hear!” Wendy placed a finger on Seulgi’s lips. “I’ll ask Joy! Just hold on.”

 

To: Tall stick

JOY!!! WE JUST REALIZED WE DON’T KNOW HOW TO DATE???!!! WHAT DO WE DO?

 

From: Tall stick

Just be yourselves when you’re around each other.

 

To: Tall stick

Huh? But we want them to believe we’re dating!

 

From: Tall stick

You’re both dumb. Just do as I say.

 

Wendy showed the text message to Seulgi who looked at her confused.

 

“Should we listen?” the older one asked before getting startled by her mom calling.

 

“Seul? Is that Wendy with you?”

 

“Y-YeS MOMMy!!”

 

“Why aren’t you coming in then? I made snacks for the both of you!”

“Because we’re coming out.” Seulgi mumbled and Wendy choked on air before laughing out loud and intertwining her fingers with the older one’s--a normal thing that they usually do— before pulling her towards where Mrs. Kang is at.

 

“Hello, Wendy dear~” Mrs. Kang pulled the younger one into a warm hug. Wendy chuckled into the embrace.

 

“Hello, auntie! How are you?”

 

“I’m good, just a bit tired from all the wedding prep.” Mrs. Kang smiled, “How about you, my dear?”

 

“I’m also good, Auntie” Wendy paused, settling down on the chair beside Seulgi, “uhmm, Seul invited me to the wedding”

 

“Do you have anything to wear? I got a black dress for Seulgi at this gorgeous store! I saw a white dress that reminded me of you, if you want I can get that for you?” Wendy and Seulgi glanced at each other.

 

“Uhmm m-mommy… I’ll be bringing Wendy as my date,okay?” Seulgi stuttered. Her mom glanced at her.

 

“Yeah, okay. So the white dress” she continued, looking at Wendy expectantly before her daughter had interrupted her again.

 

“Mom, Wan is my date”

 

“Okay honey, I heard”

 

“Mommy, Wan and I are dating”

 

“Yes, honey, I know” her mom looked her straight in the eye before giving her attention back to Wendy and grinning, “now that we’ve established that, what do you say about the white dress? It’ll compliment what Seulgi’s going to wear”


 



 

It was a few days before the wedding and Wendy was back at Seulgi’s place. The bear’s mom had ushered Wendy in a room far away from her bestfriend’s eyes, which led the latter to huff in front of her parent’s bedroom door.

 

“Hey unnie~ Why are you grumbling there?” Her younger sister, Yeji, asked, looking at her curiously.

 

“Mom took Wendy away” her sister laughed out loud.

 

“I’m sure mom will give Wan unnie back to you~” the bear let out a small huff, crossing her arms and glaring at the door. Yeji leaned back on the wall, a grin plastered in place as she watched how this scene will play out.

 

“Yeji~~ I’m—oh.” Someone called out and the youngest bear beamed at the person.

 

“Ryujinnnieee~~” she called out, pulling the younger one into a hug.

 

“Hey~ What’s happening?” Ryujin inquired, looking at the older bear in question.

 

“Unnie’s waiting for mom to release Wendy unnie”

 

“Huh? Did your mom kidnap her or??” Yeji laughed at the cutely confused look on her crush’s face.

 

“Mommy’s letting Wendy unnie try on the dress she bought for her to wear at the wedding.” Ryujin’s mouth formed into an ‘o’ shape in understanding as she joined Yeji in watching what will happen. It took a few more minutes before the doorknob moved and Yeji can clearly see how her unnie’s face had lit up. Wendy emerged from the room, laughing and thanking Seul’s mom before she was pulled in a tight hug by the bear.

 

“WANNIIIIEEEE” Seulgi whined and the younger one can’t help but laugh at the embrace. Yeji heard her crush let out a shaky sigh.

 

“That’s Wendy? Wow...” the youngest bear pouted and glared at Ryujin.

 

“Now don’t you go getting any ideas! Wendy unnie is Seulgi unnie’s girlfriend.” Ryujin looked at her friend who was rolling her eyes and grumbling something that she can’t quite hear. She grinned at how cute Yeji is being and hugged the older one before pulling her away. Wendy who was listening and watching hummed curiously at what she heard.

 

Wendy unnie is Seulgi unnie’s girlfriend

 

And she felt her heart flutter.

 



 

Joy has been watching her friend walk all over the room, deep in thought, for about fifteen minutes now and she’s getting exasperated. She sighed.

 

“Wendy, stop.”

 

“.....”

 

“WENDY!” And that seemed to halt the smaller one, finally realizing that she wasn’t alone. Joy looked at her expectantly, eyebrows raised and arms crossed in question. “Mind telling me why you asked me to be here and then just ignore me?”

 

“Sorry! I’m just—I just— Why does everyone just assume that Seulgi and I are actually dating?”

 

“Isn’t that in your favor?”

 

“Yeah, I know.” Wendy paused, thinking if she should voice out her thoughts, ”but..”

 

“But what?’ Joy cajoled, leaning back on the seat and watching her friend squirm uncomfortably.

 

“I expected for people to question us… you know?”

 

“Why would you want people to question you though?”

 

“I...I don’t know.” the older one looked away, eyes closing in confusion. ”I mean, I would’ve been shocked if someone told me that my closest friends are dating. I would’ve asked so many questions!”

 

“I hear a but there somewhere”

 

“But… with Seul and I...everyone just accepted and actually believed that we’re dating?” Joy hummed in thought, debating with herself on how she should approach this subject.

 

“Would it be better for you if Seulgi...dated someone else?” Wendy stiffened at the question. Eyebrows furrowed and lips turning into a pout as she ran the question in her mind. Would she rather her bestfriend date someone not her? Seulgi laughing at someone else’s jokes. Seulgi pulling someone else to hug and cling to all the while whining about wanting ice cream. Seulgi having sleepovers with someone else and cuddling. Her Seulgi holding someone’s hands. Her Seulgi giving someone not her the cutest bear smile that could end wars. Her heart feels like it’s being squeezed at the thought of all this.

 

Joy can see the gears running through her friend’s mind. She watched as the older one’s hand turned into fists before holding her chest. Eyebrows still furrowed in confusion until her eyes turned wide and that’s when Joy knew her friend has finally figured it out.

 

“I’M IN LOVE WITH SEULGI.”

 


 

Seulgi held out her phone for the nth time that day as she looked at her non-existent notifications. She had messaged Wendy around ten times in the span of an hour looking for her and asking if she’s on her way.

 

“Unnie, chill.” Yeji whispered as she placed a hand on her shoulder.

 

“Wannie’s still hasn’t replied! I knew I should’ve just picked her up.”

 

“She still has a few more minutes before the wedding starts. She’ll be here, don’t worry~” and as if on cue, Seulgi’s phone vibrated with a message from her best friend.

 

From: my wan and only

Seul! I’m going to be late :(( Joy’s car had a flat tire and we’re waiting for her brother to get here. I’m so sorry! T-T

 

To: my wan and only

Wannniiieee :((((((((((( Are you guys ok? Do you want me to come get you?

 

From: my wan and only

No… just stay there, Seul. I’ll be beside you in a bit, ok? Tell auntie for me, please. :(

 

Seulgi sighed sadly as she read the message. She quickly told her mom who had told her to calm down and to just wait for Wendy. The bear sighed defeatedly and placed her phone away when the wedding march started playing.

 

They were already at the reception area just across the church and Seulgi kept on looking around for a sign of her bestfriend. Wendy had messaged her about five minutes ago that she and Joy have finally arrived and is just parking the car. The bear had already gotten her and Wendy two cups of juice since she knows that her best friend will surely be parched from all the trouble that she went through. Just then a hand came swooping in and getting the other drink from her hand.

 

“That for me?” A familiar person asked, standing beside Seulgi who was already glaring.

 

“Joy!! That was for Wannie!!!”

 

“You still have one” Joy raised an eyebrow at her.

 

“Yeah, but this one is supposed to be for me and that one was for Wan because I know she might be thirsty from all the things that happened.”

 

I’m the one who drove.” Joy rolled her eyes and the bear huffed.

 

“Whatever. Where’s my Seungwan?”

 

Your Seungwan was stopped by your mom the moment she saw her.”

 

“Huh-why--”

 

“Seulgi!!!” someone called out and the bear’s eyes widened in shock before she got enveloped in a hug.

 

“Irene unnie???”

 

“Yeap!”

 

“What’re you doing here?! I thought you couldn’t go because of work?”

 

“Mom called work and you know how she is.” Irene laughed before she noticed that Seulgi wasn’t alone. “Oh. Hi! I’m Irene, Seulgi’s sister~”

 

“.....J-Joy”

 

“Nice to meet you!~‘ Joy was speechless. Here she was, blessed to be having eyes that could look at this beautiful creature that the Lord Almighty had created.

 

“Y-your Seulgi’s sister?!” she stuttered and Irene chuckled.

 

“Yes~ Older sister to be exact~”

 

“Ohmylord” Joy gawked and Irene, bless her beautiful soul, thinks that her sister’s friend is quite cute. Seulgi rolled her eyes at the two before looking around again in hopes to spot her bestfriend. And like a spotlight had just opened, there stood Wendy, looking gorgeous in her white dress, laughing and conversing with someone not Seulgi.

 

“Who the freak is that?” the bear grumbled and Joy had finally awaken from her mini gay panic as she looked at where Seulgi is glaring.

 

“Oh. I didn’t know he’s here.”

 

“Who’s that?” Seulgi inquired and Joy can’t help but hide her devil horns from appearing.

 

“He’s a classmate of ours in uni and well, isn’t it obvious?”

 

“Huh? What’s obvious?”

 

“He likes Wendy?” Irene piped up, staring at the two figures they’re talking about. Joy can see the bear’s eyes widened before it squinted into a glare.

 

“He.. he can’t like Wendy!” Seulgi sneered.

 

“Why not?” Joy asked in mock innocence.

 

“Because I’m dating Wendy!”

 

“But you’re only fake dating her” Joy whispered just low enough for the bear to hear and she can see the latter’s panic-stricken face at hearing the truth. “So I don’t see why Wendy can’t date anyone else after this wedding.”

 

“She can’t”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“....Because I love Wannie….” Seulgi mumbled after a few minutes, the realization dawning on her. Joy grinned triumphantly.

 

“Then what are you waiting for? Go get your girl.” Irene grinned at her sister before looking back at Joy, “As for you, mind getting a drink with me?”


 

“Wendy!” She heard her bear call out and felt herself grin at the way her name sounds when Seulgi says it.

 

“Seul~” she felt the older one’s arm wrap across her back, hand settling on her waist as she was pulled extremely close to Seulgi’s body before she felt the latter kiss the top of her head sweetly.

 

“I’m so glad you’re finally here~ I missed you.”

 

“I-I missed you t-too” she stuttered out, trying to calm her erratic heart as Seulgi’s eyes bore into hers.

 

“You look...wow!”

 

“T-thanks” there was definitely a blush forming on her cheeks right now. She looked around and saw her classmate looking at her--them curiously and she finally remembered her manners, “o-Oh. Peter this is Seulgi my--”

 

“Girlfriend.” she felt a gentle squeeze on her waist as the bear stared at Peter’s extended hands before the latter awkwardly pulled it back.

 

“Nice to meet you!”

 

“Hmm likewise” Seulgi let the words hang for a moment before she looked back at Wendy with a sweet smile, “can I talk to you? In private?”

 

“Sure?” Wendy was curious to say the least but she let Seulgi lead her towards a quiet corner where there’s not much people. The bear let her go and is now standing in front of her, eyes wandering around and looking nervous. She furrowed her eyebrows in worry before she reached out, hand settling on Seulgi’s cheek as the latter sighed and tilted her head to feel more of Wendy’s palm.

 

“Is everything okay? You know you could tell me anything, right?”

 

“I-I know.. I’m just not sure how to say it” Wendy stared at her, eyes searching her face for a clue. She stared back at her bestfriend, her eyes trying to say the things that can’t form and then Wendy smiled softly.

 

“I think I know” she paused, stepping forward until they were only inches apart, “I feel the same way.” and it’s like Seulgi’s heart is bursting with happiness as she pulled Wendy into a kiss.

 

“Finally” Joy mumbled a few feet away from the two idiots she calls her friends as Irene handed her a drink with a grumble. “Is something wrong?”

 

“My mom was trying to ‘introduce’ me to this guy” Irene air-quoted and Joy had to stop herself from laughing at how cute this girl is.

 

“And?”

 

“And I told him that it was nice to meet him but I have to excuse myself because this beautiful girl I just met is waiting for me.” Irene grinned as she watched said beautiful girl blush.



A/N: Hi HI HIiiiIIII I just reallllyyy miss WenSeul :(((((