Stay

Cotton Candy

“When are you going to stop filtering out words and start hearing what people actually say?!”

 

“I am hearing it as it is!”

 

“You only hear what you want to, Seungwan!” Seulgi screamed as she slammed the door behind her, following after her best friend? Girlfriend? Her...something?

 

“So?!”

 

“So? SO?! Is that all you can say?!”

 

“What do you want me to say, Seulgi? That I don’t listen hard enough?! That I don’t pay attention?! That-that- that I can’t see that you keep running away from me? Who could blame you?! Look at me!” Seungwan shouted back, stopping in her tracks to glare at the older girl.

 

I don’t keep running away from you! Listen to yourself! You’re not making any sense!”

 

“Well, I’m sorry for being stupid!”

 

“I’m not saying you were but right now I’m kind of thinking you really might be!” there was silenced tension as the two of them had a glaring contest, breathing heavily from all the shouting before Wendy turned away and headed to her room, slamming the door in the process.

 


 

It’s been a week since the incident happened. Since Wendy packed her bags and flew back to Canada albeit there’s still a week left of school and the fact that she was supposed to stay there for summer break.

 

“Is Wendy unnie still not answering?” Yeri whispered, glancing at the figure of their friend who has been quiet the past week. Irene shook her head sadly,

 

“I’ve been calling her everyday but she’s still not answering. I’ve left her voice messages as well.” Irene added. The two of them still haven’t got any ideas of what actually happened--on why Wendy and Seulgi went back to their shared dormitory shouting at each other.

 

“Eat.” Irene pushed the bowl of fruits towards Seulgi who just started to poke the apples, not really planning to eat any of it. The two sighed.

 


 

One week and three days had passed, the snow had just started to let up but the weather still screams winter. Wendy turned up the heater on the car and opened the radio, placing it at a random station and not really hearing any of it as her mind drifted back to the fight.

 

She clutched the steering wheel tightly as images of Seulgi smiling and being surrounded by other people, congratulating her on her excellence and achievements. Then those same people glancing at her as if examining her worth as if thinking ‘who’s this person their star student is with’, especially when Seulgi grabs her hand and shows her around.

 

“Don’t you think I don’t know I’m not worth it?!” she shouted to no one in particular as Seulgi’s confused face drifted to the front of her brain.

 

‘Wan, are you okay?’

 

‘Y-yeah. I just.. I’ll be going back first’

 

A head tilt.

 

‘Are you tired? Give me a sec, i’ll get our jackets and we can head home’

 

A grab of the hand.

 

‘No. no.. I can go back on my own. You enjoy your time’

 

‘Wan, don’t be silly! Wait here’

 

A random person moving towards her.

 

‘Hi! You’re Seulgi Kang’s date right?’

 

‘Yes.’

 

And there’s the look of judgement she’s so used to seeing.

 

‘Nice. You and her must be really close’

 

‘We’ve known each other since grade school…’

 

Her eyes searched for the figure of her best friend.

 

‘Oh that explains a lot’

 

And there’s the sound of contempt.

The sound of her phone ringing had pulled her out of her thoughts and made her swerve to the side of the road, braking just in time and barely scratching the tree in front of her. Her heart was pounding so fast, she reached out for her phone with shaky hands and answered.

 

“H-hello?”

 

“You could’ve at least said goodbye to me.”

 

“J-joy?”

 

“Yeah, you moron.”

 

“Why are you calling?”

 

“Missed you too. Well, a package came for you from your family. They didn’t know you went home, huh?”

 

“...yes. They’re somewhere snowboarding in the Alps right now.”

 

“Rich kid.” Joy scoffed. “So whatcha want me to do with it? It’s so huge and taking up space!”

 

“I don’t know...” there was silence between them for a whole minute.

 

“You’re not the only one having a hard time you know… She hasn’t been herself lately.”

 

“...” A sigh.

 

“God, you’re both stupid! Text me what you want to do with your package! Bye!”

 

----------

 

Two weeks fifteen hours since she last saw Wendy. She watched as her friends pushed each other while playing Mario go kart with Irene in the lead, followed closely by Yeri and lastly, Joy.

 

“YAH KIM YERIM LET ME WIN!”

 

“IN YOUR DREAMS!”

 

“YAH!!!”

 

“JOY UNNIE GERROF ME!!” a few minutes of wrestling then a maniacal laughter rang,

 

“I win! Now you losers go get me ice cream!” Irene gloated. The two ‘losers’ started pushing each other again and was about to go for a round 2 of wrestling when the door opened. Irene gasped, Joy and Yeri stopped mid-way. Seulgi looked up… meeting eyes with

 

“Wendy..” she whispered.

 

“I just need to get my things...” the smallest girl awkwardly entered, luggage trailing behind her. Four pair of eyes followed her every move before the oldest spoke.

 

“We’ll.. We’ll go get something to eat. You’re staying for dinner at least?” A timid nod from Wendy and Irene was pulling the two youngest out of the dorm.

 

More awkward silence passed as Seungwan entered her bedroom and the sound of things being moved were the only source of noise. Seulgi took a deep breath before walking towards the ajarred door.

 

“Hey..”

 

“...hi..” more minutes of silence as Seulgi watched Wendy pack her things. She watched as Wendy mumbles something under breath and barely catching it.

 

“I can leave… i can leave..”

 

“If you want to leave, I’m not going to stop you.” Wendy suddenly stopped, the cardigan on her hands almost slipping. She quickly gripped it tightly and shoved it inside her suitcase before turning to look at Seulgi (finally) with eyes filled with a dozen of emotion that the older one can’t quite pinpoint each.

 

“I-you-I-” Seungwan looked like she was having a hard time finding the correct words. “You’ll just let me go...?!”

 

“You’re so naive, Wendy!”

 

“What?!”

 

“...I missed you so damn much and I don’t understand what the hell is going on between us but if you really want to leave then I’m not going to stop you because I love you!”

 

“You don’t-- Why would you even? Look at me?! I only hear what I want to, right?! So tell me something that you think I want to hear!” she shouted back.

 

“Stay.” Seulgi whispered.

 



A/N: This was just a quick one, around a thousand or so words hihi

Hi Jezza, hope u dont hate me hahahaha