Eyes I

Cotton Candy

Seulgi’s eyes were far from 20-20 vision to say the least but other than that she thinks it’s perfect. She can still see (if she squints real hard) and it’s still useful so really, she doesn’t know what’s with people looking at her weirdly everytime she says that her eye color has ever only been black.

 

“What do you mean it’s only black?” Her co-trainee, Krystal, asked bewildered, “There are wisps of light brown in it”

 

“I don’t know what you mean, Krys? It’s only black, you must be seeing things” her friend sighed, rolling her now amber colored eyes.

 

“Oh c’mon! I think your soulmate got highlights!” Ahh, yes, soulmates. Seulgi sighed upon hearing that word again. She thinks that it was a fluke in her system or that it must’ve skipped a generation in their family but it just so happened that it landed on her specifically. They say that your eye color changes depending on your soulmate’s hair color but for as long as she can remember, her eyes were only black, so really, she doesn’t know why her friend kept on insisting about brown wisps in her eyes, when it’s not even there.

 

“Your imagination’s so wild today” she laughed. “Now c’mon or we’ll be late to dance practice.”
 

That happened a few years ago. Krystal had already debuted, and funny enough, met her soulmate in her own group, masking their change of eye color with contact lenses so the fans won’t know. But Seulgi’s eyes remain the same which only strengthened her belief some more.

 


 

Her eyes turned a shade darker one day. It was in the practice room and she didn’t even notice it until her friend, Joy, pointed it out to her on their break.

 

“Unnie...I can’t see your pupils” the younger one looked worriedly at her.

 

“What??” She asked confused, looking at the practice room mirror to try and see.

 

“Are you okay, unnie?”

 

“Huh? Yeah. It must only be the lighting” she smiled, looking into Joy’s eyes and noticing the lines of pink on top of brown surrounding her pupils. The younger one blinked her eyes and looked away.

 

“My soulmate’s a bit cuckoo in the brain, I think” she started, “One time, I woke up and my eyes were neon pink!”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“Yeah, but it was gone the next day. I think it was a washable thing” Joy sighed in relief before looking back at the older girl, “You’re lucky your soulmate doesn’t seem to be crazy into colors”

 

“I don’t have one” was her immediate reply before shrugging. Joy looked like she wanted to retaliate because ‘everyone has a soulmate’ but thought against it, seeing how the bear was ready to go back to dance practice.

 


 

“Hello everyone, we have a new joiner today.” their teacher started, motioning for the new girl to introduce herself.

 

“Uhm, hello! My name is Son Wendy. It’s nice to meet you all.” the girl bowed low to the class before scurrying over to an empty space to sit down as the teacher continued with the lesson. She felt a tap on her shoulder.

 

“Hi, my name’s Seulgi, nice to meet you, Wendy, and welcome to SM ent~” the bear like girl whispered and Wendy grinned in response, feeling at ease with the nice girl.

 

After class, Seulgi insisted that she take the new girl for a tour around the building. Making sure to show her the ins and outs and even the shortcuts for when she is especially running late.

 

“And here’s my favorite place~” Seulgi smiled, opening the door to a certain room.

 

“A..a practice room?” Wendy asked a bit confused.

 

“Yeah, haha. This is where I spend most of my time between and even after classes. No one uses this room since it’s old and the equipments here are not so good but I like it.” the bear explained, and Wendy can hear the adoration from the older girl. She was staring intently at Seulgi’s features when the latter turned around and their eyes met. The older one noticed Wendy’s eyes were black like hers and she somewhat smiled at that thought.

 

“Feel free to go here to when you like” she started before looking away, “but I doubt you would. Most trainees prefer the other practice rooms with high class equipments since they want to be the best, you know?”

 

“I think… I think I like it more here” Wendy mumbled honestly, looking at the room and feeling the welcoming atmosphere in it or maybe it was because of her new found friend, but either way, she already adores this certain practice room.

 


 

It only took them a few conversations to hit it off. Seulgi had been ecstatic at the fact that she’s older than Wendy by just 11 days! Really cementing their status as friends in the bear’s mind.

 

“Wendy!~ I have ramen with me!” Seulgi barged into the practice room, holding up the convenience store bag with the noodles in them in one hand and a thermos with hot water in the other. The younger one quickly paused the video she was doing and happily looking at Seulgi who was now sat on the floor and pouring hot water in the ramen cups.

 

“You do know that’s not allowed, right?”

 

“Yeah, but no one’s here to tell on us” she grinned, eyes turning into crescents as she happily pushed the other ramen cup towards the younger girl. They waited for a bit in anticipation before finally digging in to the savory flavor.

 

“What were you watching earlier by the way?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Ah… it was the new dance lesson I have to practice” Wendy smiled, looking down at the cup in her hands, “I kinda at dancing like a lot” and she laughed.

 

“I can help you with that if you like?”

 

“Really?!” Wendy’s eyes shone a bit brighter and Seulgi had to smile widely at that before nodding her head enthusiastically.

 

“Yeah. Show me the video after we eat and I can teach it to you~”

 

“Thank, Seul~ You’re the best!” Wendy grinned, feeling warm inside. She looked back at the bear who was happily eating her ramen and she can’t help but feel the same thing she felt when the bear first talked to her.

 

“You know, the first time we met, you felt familiar to me.” Wendy started, looking at Seulgi’s dark orbs, “like I’ve known you from before… but that’s silly, right?” she laughed. The older one looked curiously at Wendy, a small smile playing on her lips.

 

“Maybe we met when we were younger? You lived here before so it’s possible”

 

“Hmm, that’s true~” Wendy hummed, “But I don’t know? Because I’m sure I’ll remember someone like you.” Seulgi stared at the younger girl, gauging the things she’s feeling right at this moment. It was nice--warm even and it felt right, and it made Seulgi think of things like soulmates but she has to laugh at that because she doesn’t have one and here is this girl who makes her think otherwise so she let whatever she was feeling linger.

 

“C’mon, let me see that video~” she said after a while, extending her hand so Wendy could give her the phone.
 


 

They were celebrating along with their other two friends, who were also picked to be in the same group as them to debut, when the soulmate topic came up. It was mostly because of the surprise guest inside their dorm.

 

“Unnie! Tell us again how you knew that Irene unnie was your soulmate~” Joy pleaded, batting her eyelash in an attempt to be cute. Irene pushed the youngests’ face away from her soulmate who was chuckling.

 

“Well, I really had no idea for the longest time. I was busy with promotions with my group you know? And I barely see Irene in the building.”

 

“Yes, Irene unnie’s so boring” Joy laughed, avoiding the older one’s attempt to smack her.

 

“Seoh, stop telling the story to that brat” Irene huffed and Seohyun laughed, pulling her girlfriend closer into her arms.

 

“So what happened after?” Wendy asked, curiousity filling her.

 

“I think it was after some comebacks when I finally took notice. I usually bump into Irene when we’re practicing since she finishes around the same time we’re going to start.” Seohyun paused, eyes glazed over as she remembers the day, “It was before Holler era, I saw Irene with eyes as light as my hair and I had to stop her that time. I made an excuse to talk to her and it was funny because she can’t maintain eye contact with me but I had to know if it’s her so after practice, I dyed my hair red. It wasn’t permanent of course or else the stylist unnie will kill me” she laughed.

 

“But then I saw her not long after, walking back to her dorm, so I called her”

 

“I was so shocked by that” Irene commented, snuggling more into Seoh’s arms.

 

“But it was that day that I saw how your eyes changed colors to the same shade as my hair.”

 

“I knew way before that you’re my soulmate”

 

“And why is that you never said anything?”

 

“How can I? You’re THE Girls’ Generation Seoh Juhyun. THE Girls’ Generation Maknae from THE best girl group that paved the way for the next generation! I was so scared! I didn’t even think you’ll notice me you know?”

 

“But thank God I did. Best decision of my life to be honest” The two lovers bumped noses before laughing and looking at the other three. Joy was now looking at them with starry eyes, Wendy was smiling softly, and Seulgi looks nonchalant about everything.

 

“I wonder when I’ll meet mine?” Joy asked dreamily, blinking her now light brown eyes.

 

“How about you Seul, you’re not curious about your soulmate?” Seohyun asked. Irene had bump shoulders with her lover while Joy side-eyed the bear like girl.

 

“Not really” Seulgi shrugged.

 

“Why is that?” Seoh asked some more, curiosity taking over her.

 

“Because I don’t have one”

 

“You don’t have one?” Wendy questioned, looking shocked at the new revelation.

 

Unnie thinks that it skipped her generation, specifically her.” Joy started, rolling her eyes at her unnie’s stupidity, “But I think that she actually has one. It’s just that her soulmate is not as crazy into hair coloring as my soulmate is”

 

“What makes you think that?” Seohyun asked.

 

“Well for one, some time ago, Krystal noticed some light brown wisps in Seulgi unnie’s eyes--”

 

“You have no proof of that” Seulgi interjected.

 

“But alas my dumb unnie, I actually do!” Joy whipped out her phone and quickly scrolled and tapped on it before showing a picture of Seulgi and Krystal a few years back. She zoomed in on the bear’s eyes.

 

“I don’t see it...” Wendy mumbled, squinting her eyes at the picture.

 

“Me too” Irene piped up.

 

“Sorry, Joy, we just don’t see it?” Seohyun smiled apologetically and Joy huffed pulling her phone back and scrolling some more.

 

“Second point. Look at this picture and the next one on it.” Joy handed her phone back to the curious girls and waited for them to swipe. “This is Seulgi unnie’s headshots taken by a professional in high-resolution. It was taken just a day apart and you can see how Seulgi unnie’s eyes turned from dark dark brown to black.”

 

“It could just be the lighting” Seulgi tried to argue.

 

“Say what you will but I was with you that time. After the shoot, we went to practice. Your eyes were lighter when we started but then it suddenly turned black.”

 

“That’s a stretch” the bear said and Joy huffed.

 

“I know I’m right.”

 


 

It was a few days after when Seulgi sleepily made her way to the dorm bathroom to get ready for the day ahead when she got the shock of her life. Her knees felt weak as she stumbled a bit in front of the bathroom mirror, gripping the edges of the sink tightly to steady herself. Her heart beating erratically as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her reflection stared back, the same bewildered expression in her now light brown eyes.

 

“I do have a soulmate!”

 



A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYY, SEULGI!!!!
This is part 1 of my two-shot series for WenSeul's birthday 2020 <3 I hope you like it ^^