Redemption

Flatters and Flutters || A Review Portfolio [Currently Editing]
Please log in to read the full chapter
FLATTERS & FLUTTERS HOMEPAGE PROFILE STORIES RUBRICS FAQS INFORMATION REGARDING THE STORY STORY TITLE: Redemption
AUTHOR: shineeinfinite
CHARACTERS: Seunghyun and OC
GENRES: action, angst, romance
~STORY LINK~
Shop Requested: Reading is Beautiful

DESCRIPTION:
True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love never ends -Hwang Aerin review

Title (8/10)
  The title only made sense to me in the end. I was only able to see the connection of the title with the plot during the (or is it the ending?) of the story. Looking at it in the perception of a mere reader, I would say that it won't really catch my attention. 'Redemption' isn't really an eyecandy for a title, but it does awake my curiosity a bit. I haven't seen much story entitled the same as yours, so the title is kinda new to me- I think it's fresh and kinda neat.


Foreword (7/10)
   Is the foreword interesting and makes curious? Is it able to attract the reader?   Quoting a line or phrase from the original storyline is actually a good tactic, especially if it makes a good quote because it's quite alluring. However, I feel like you switched the description and foreword. The description is used to describe a story, and the foreword can be freely used by the author to his/her heart's content. I don't mind much about it since your description actually made me a bit curious, but then it kinda gave me too much thoughts about what's going to happen. Simply put, the foreword kinda summed up what was going to happen in your story. I didn't really felt the when I was reading it as I recalled your foreword.
   Good news is, the foreword was neat enough. Still, the scattered links right after the banners disturbed me. Nevertheless, it's still neat. Athough I do suggest that you could just put the link-back in the banners or the words. 


Plot (28/35)
   The plot made sense to me in some sort of wry way, if that made sense. I predicted half of the plot right, but I didn't really caught up with the whole story. I had to read the story twice, actually. First of, Seunghyun is this cold kind of guy. He didn't really appear like that to me. He appeared into someone good with words and somewhat flirty? But let's talk about your characters in the characters section. For now, let's focus on the plot.
   The plot is actually common. I do praise you for the twists you've pulled to make it uncommon as possible, and I do admit that I see a bit of your own colors in the story. Still, I'm not really a reader of spy and action stories (I'm more into the fluff and angst side) but I do like watching it. It's actually a pretty good story, it's just I've seen the plot like yours a couple of times.  I do have a question though, in chapter 1, you've mentioned that they've completed 670 missions. Let's do the math. Starting from an age of 15 and knowing it at age 25, that's about a decade. In your story, the top mission which is the ISIS lasted for a year. So taking that aside, an average mission may have last for months or so. I know that Seunghyun and Jiyoung are great agents, but 670 missions is an exaggeration if you'll ask me. Not that I'm complaining, just asking. 
   
   The genre tags aren't really making sense to me, I could see the action but I couldn't see the angst. What I felt in your story is more of the genre 'fluff' than 'angst'. I didn't felt the deep anxiety or dread and I definitely didn't see something trivial besides the ISIS biz. 
   The story appeared fast to me quite first. But since it's explained in the end, I'm going to say that it's still a bit fast. I get it that Seunghyun's true love is Aerin and all, but I doubt that you could fall in love in a minute even though 'love at first sight' is possible. I don't know, I've just seen it as complete irony. 
   Good thing is, your writing style is pretty good. It was nice to actually have this feelig while reading, you know, the one where you can almost hear the voice of the author? Maybe it's because you've used third person perspective and that's the easiest perception used, whatever it is, your writing style is deemed good.


Characters (17/20)
   ​I know that Seunghyun is a dynamic character, but he didn't really seem to change a lot, well in my perception he didn't anyways. He didn't appear as a cold guy to me at all. He wasn't even close to being a standoffish or the person I am expecting from reading your foreword. I just felt like he's this introvert that's diligent in his work. So when he started talking more when Aerin came to the scene, it was a new for me. I didn't really expect it. Half of the times, I felt like he's stepping out of his line, he was suppose to be this cold person but he's acting like a high school boy in love. No offense, really. Since he's the main guy of the selection, I guessed I've learned a lot about him. He just didn't appear like the cold person that he's suppose to be from the very beginning.
   Jiyoung was this supportive best friend, I believe. I did not understand why he agreed to Aerin's plan. But I did like his character out of the bunch. Although he did appear to me like some kid that had always worshipped Seunghyun. Don't get me wrong, he triggered my interest, but he could use a bit more details.
   Now let's move on to your muse, Hwang Aerin. Before I start my critiques, I'll ask a few questions. Let's be realistic, if Aerin's brother turned out to be a guy named 'Mark Tuan', then how come her name is 'Hwang Aerin'? Shouldn't it be Aerin Tuan? And let's say she did studied psychology, I used to be a psychology major (I just dropped out because I lost my passion in it, it turned out quite boring, no offense) and I learned the basics. I mean, I learned psychology for a year or 10 months or so, but how come I can't tell what other people are simply by looking  or talking to them?  I found that quite fascinating. Last question, what's with the seeing the future biz? I'm sorry for sounding rude, but I didn't really appreciate her character as much as the two agents. Why? One, her character is a big blank to me. She's one of the main characters yet I didn't see her as one. The story kinda focused on Jiyoung and Seunghyun's friendship more than Seunghyun and Aerin's romance if you'll ask me. Two, her character appeared to me as rather ironic. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her character, but I didn't really see the spark in it. Maybe a few details and descriptions might do the trick. 

   I kinda seen what was going to happen in the betrayal scene, let me guess, Aerin truly loved Seunghyun? It's just, I don't know. It kinda felt like, well, I can't reall describe it. I guess the letter answered some of the questions I had in mind, which is good actually. 
   I could comment a thing or two about the characters' connection/relation. This is where I praise you. Despite of Aerin being a bi

Please log in to read the full chapter