Sunsets

Ephemeral Bliss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"The first stab of love is like a sunset,

a blaze of color -- oranges, pearly pinks, vibrant purples..."

 

- Anna Godbersen

 

He watched as the beautiful girl in a baby pink dress belted her heart out in a song. He was too mesmerised by her side profile but more so by the sound of her voice. The way the melody and lyrics blended so perfectly put him in a trance. He forgot about how pissed he was when his cousin bailed out on the band at the last minute just for a date with some random girl he claims to be the "love of his life." 

 

Now, all he could think of, is the girl his cousin managed to convince as a replacement and how heavenly her singing voice melds with the way he caressed the piano keys. He nearly missed a note but thankfully, he recovered just as quickly. To his relief, the song came to an end as the boring ceremony commenced. 

 

He was so close to dozing off when he finally got a clear upfront view of the wedding singer's face; and oh boy what a face that is. He did not try to ignore the brewing attraction while he spent the next hour observing the girl. It doesn't take a genius to know why the beautiful singer looked like sadness engulfed her entire being especially when the groom began reciting his vows. He knew those tears were not of joy but of pain and a broken heart. Odd as it may seem, but he swore he somehow felt his own heart breaking along with hers. He shrugged off the thought and tried his best to focus on her again. 

 

He tried to pay attention to the minister or to anything else that might hold his interest, but in the end, his gaze always went back to her. The more he observed her, the greater his admiration grew. She’s professional enough not to give any clue about her real emotions as she sang what was left of their setlist, but being a singer himself, he takes pride in detecting the lies. 

 

Once the festivities calmed down and the guests broke into their respective cliques at the beach reception, he didn't waste a second to seek her. True enough, he found her in a secluded corner overlooking the beautiful sunset. Wordlessly, he took a seat beside her. 

 

"You know...Sunsets are reminders that endings can be beautiful too. Just like you." He commented. 

 

To his surprise, his genuine sincerity was met with a snort of disbelief and disgust.

 

"Yeah right. If you think that pickup line from Google or Pinterest or somewhere else in the internet could get you some "action," then sorry dude but you got the wrong girl." She rolled her eyes.

 

He felt his jaw dropped and for the first time in a long time, a girl rendered him speechless. After a few seconds of non-comeback, she whipped her head to his side and scrutinised him. 

 

"What? Cat got your tongue? Or wait. Lemme guess. Didn't think a girl like me has this kind of attitude? Save it, hotshot. I've heard it all before." She said.

 

He couldn't do anything but to laugh awkwardly.

 

"Look. The night's still young so off you go to your next prey. This one ain't taking the bait."  She said while waving her hand off as if to shoo him away. 

 

This time, to her surprise, he kept his gaze firm on her and snobbishly said,

 

"I bet you haven't heard this one before: you've got a thing for the groom." 

 

She opened to deny it but figured it was best not to. Instead, she replied,

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter